Old 09-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
A J Ricaud

Newegg has Western Digital WD30EZRX 3TB

For $118.99 using promo code EMCXLWT27.
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
bmgoodman

Ask how they pack it!

I have ordered a good amount of items over the years from NewEgg and I generally recommend them to others. BUT, I'm not a fan of how their hard drives are (sometimes, often, always?) shipped. The last drive I got from them (several years ago) was inside the little plastic clam-shell and then dumped into a huge box with some Styrofoam peanuts. That drive had plenty of room to roam inside the box!

So, last year, when I was going to purchase a drive from them for my Tivo, I asked customer service in advance how the drive would be packaged. Their response was clam-shell in a big box.

True, they will replace a drive that is DOA, but that's not the point. It's just a bad idea to ship a drive packaged like that.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
I have ordered a good amount of items over the years from NewEgg and I generally recommend them to others. BUT, I'm not a fan of how their hard drives are (sometimes, often, always?) shipped. The last drive I got from them (several years ago) was inside the little plastic clam-shell and then dumped into a huge box with some Styrofoam peanuts. That drive had plenty of room to roam inside the box!

So, last year, when I was going to purchase a drive from them for my Tivo, I asked customer service in advance how the drive would be packaged. Their response was clam-shell in a big box.

True, they will replace a drive that is DOA, but that's not the point. It's just a bad idea to ship a drive packaged like that.
I purchase nearly all my drives from Newegg, they are all typically packaged in bubble wrap in a box, my last one 2 weeks ago was in a WD clam shell box with the drive inside the black plastic mounts, arrived just fine. Never had a DOA. Knock on Wood
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

The only DOA drives I've ever had came from NewEgg, as in 2 out 4.
I buy bare drives from Amazon.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
innocentfreak

I have had bad luck with Newegg drives. The only time they seem to ship fine is when you order in bulk amounts of 4 or more and they get shipped in the original shipping box.

Wish Amazon would match.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
I purchase nearly all my drives from Newegg, they are all typically packaged in bubble wrap in a box, my last one 2 weeks ago was in a WD clam shell box with the drive inside the black plastic mounts, arrived just fine. Never had a DOA. Knock on Wood
The same here. I've ordered dozens of drives over the last few years from Newegg. And if anything they are usually over wrapped with tons of bubble wrap or put in styrofoam slots that are designed to hold several hard drives.

Although I did have a bad 3TB drive last month when I had ordered five Seagates while on sale. But that had nothing to do with the packaging.
But at least Newegg covers return shipping on the defective products.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote