TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #91
Zephyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehma View Post
They stopped at 9 Eastern for the speech. I was so happy Amy won. I think she's one of the best dancers they've had. I prefer Aaron to FikShun. I think Paul is probably a better dancer than either of them.
I totally agree!
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #92
Tracy
Truly

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
Voripeth, do you live in the Eastern or Central time zones? If you do, did they break in the middle of the show for Obama's speech, and if so, how did they handle it?

Out west, it aired as a solid 2-hour block with no overrun, and I didn't notice any particular spot at the one-hour mark where they would have "paused" for the speech. (Presumably, since they were recording the show anyway, for broadcast out west, they would have just cut into the live show at some point, and then started playing the recording from the point of interruption.)

Also, I wasn't surprised that it was picked up for another season; what does Fox have to air in its place? You would think that it would be one of Fox's cheaper shows to produce, except possibly for the music rights.
I am in the Central time zone so the stop was at 8. It was abrupt. Right at the end of the routine with the two bikes, there was a sudden cut to Nigel (pre-taped) saying that the rest of the show would air at the conclusion of the speech. After the speech, we were back at the end of the bike routine.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #93
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Right at the end of the routine with the two bikes, there was a sudden cut to Nigel (pre-taped) saying that the rest of the show would air at the conclusion of the speech. After the speech, we were back at the end of the bike routine.
Yeah if happened kindof haphazardly.
It made me question how LIVE the finale was.

Sonia whatsherface was bizarrely absent last night.

the duet between Mary and Nigel was very odd.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #94
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

Fox knew the speech was coming so they could've had Nigel tape that during a commercial break and insert it on the fly.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:22 PM   #95
jeffsinsfo

I agree about Paul being better than either Aaron or FikShun. I don't even think FikShun deserved to be in the top two or three, but I guess his enthusiasm/charisma won out over the superior technical skills of the other male dancers.

Quote:
They stopped at 9 Eastern for the speech. I was so happy Amy won. I think she's one of the best dancers they've had. I prefer Aaron to FikShun. I think Paul is probably a better dancer than either of them.

jeffsinsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #96
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Yeah if happened kindof haphazardly.
It made me question how LIVE the finale was.
On the Pacific broadcast, right at the end of the routine, you can hear a definite change in the applause, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did cut right at that point, then make them get back on stage right after the speech, then just do a little creative editing for the taped broadcast.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #97
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
On the Pacific broadcast, right at the end of the routine, you can hear a definite change in the applause, so I wouldn't be surprised if they did cut right at that point, then make them get back on stage right after the speech, then just do a little creative editing for the taped broadcast.
I don't think they stopped at all. The break was abrupt and the resumption was in the middle of a sentence that Cat was speaking. That was odd. They knew far enough in advance to stop cleanly at a commercial break but they stopped in mid sentence.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #98
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsinsfo View Post
I agree about Paul being better than either Aaron or FikShun. I don't even think FikShun deserved to be in the top two or three, but I guess his enthusiasm/charisma won out over the superior technical skills of the other male dancers.
It annoyed me when they kept comparing him to Twitch. He is no Twitch!

Was one of the top 20 guys missing in the top 20 intro? I thought one of the girls came out alone?
jehma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #99
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Was one of the top 20 guys missing in the top 20 intro? I thought one of the girls came out alone?
One of the girls (Malice?) did come out alone, and I thought, "hey, who is injured / missing" -- but then fikshun came out alone at the end. It was odd.

Edited to add: don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm sad that a show I used to look forward to and enjoy has come to be one that makes me glad when it's over. I don't understand how the dancers are getting better and better and yet the show is not as satisfactory to me as it was in the earlier seasons. I still love the audition rounds and Vegas week, but once the main show starts, it just goes flat like soda with no fizz. I know that we aren't going to get hummingbird-and-flower routines every season, but that perfect marriage of dancer plus choreographer plus music doesn't even seem possible these days.

I wish I could watch the show and not have it be like a ghost town, haunted by seasons past.

There was the one Broadway routine with two guys which made me long for Evan and Ryan Kasprzak. They would have killed that.

And it doesn't help to have Tyce turning out warmed-over Wade Robson routines. Triplets of Belleville with tramps? We've seen it, Nigel. Move on already.

What will I remember from season 10? Seeing Mark Kanemura and Travis and Twitch dancing again, and enjoying their choreography. And Alex Wong killing the Bollywood number. That was fun.

Of the dancers this season, and their "journey", etc. ad nauseam, I'd have to pick Aaron as my favorite. He was the person that surprised and delighted me every week, although there wasn't any one routine that stuck with me and made me say "I need to run that back and watch it again".

Re: the best dancer: We have this discussion this every season, yeah? Because the competition is not about who is the best dancer. It's America's favorite. And it really doesn't matter in the long run, or shouldn't. The best of them get exposure and if they have the chops, they'll get work. Didn't they say a couple of episodes ago that the dancer who was injured, whom Aaron replaced, got hired for a movie, so it all worked out for him, too?

I agree that Paul was a very fine dancer. Every season I have a handful of dancers I'm rooting for to stick around and not be eliminated, and Paul was on my callback list for sure. Maybe part of the reason that I am no longer in love with the show is that the choreographers don't give those dancers enough opportunity to show their stuff.

As much fun as it is to see the All-Stars again, I wonder if the 'bring the All-Stars back' gimmick is what killed the show for me. Before there were All-Stars the focus was on the current season's dancers, and their partnerships.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 09-12-2013 at 01:41 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #100
jehma

I loved that Nappytabs opener to "Putting on the Ritz". Any routine with/by Christopher Scott is always great. Of the all-stars, of course Alex Wong was fantastic - he always is, but Robert Roldan was a standout as well.

I think I'm getting tired of the formulaic "untrained dancer does good" story.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #101
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

I'm surprised by how popular Aaron is. He is definitely an amazing tapper, but I thought he was one of the weakest guys in all other areas of the show. Oh well.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #102
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I'm surprised by how popular Aaron is. He is definitely an amazing tapper, but I thought he was one of the weakest guys in all other areas of the show. Oh well.
Yebbut... he looked like a man among boys.
IMO.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #103
David Platt
Have an A-1 Day!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
One of the girls (Malice?) did come out alone, and I thought, "hey, who is injured / missing" -- but then fikshun came out alone at the end. It was odd.
I'm going from memory here so might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Malece's partner Alan (the ballroom dancer) was missing, as was the guy who dropped out very early on due to an injury. Can't remember his name-- the extremely short animator.
David Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #104
jehma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
IMO.
This. He's a very mature dancer. Although Fik Shun did manage to get through the more emotional dances, he doesn't have the same kind of emotional gravity that a more mature dancer/person has.

I loved the tap duo Aaron did on the finale. I loved the way they told a story.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #105
Tracy
Truly

Quote:
IMO.
You nailed it.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #106
etexlady

Very disappointing season and finale. I so wanted Jasmine and Aaron to win. I've watched Jasmine and Marko's entertaining Blurred Lines routine on YouTube a dozen times and never tire of it. Sorry, I don't remember any of Fikshun's work other than thinking a couple of times that he is too small to be believable as a male lead and his partner dancing seemed awkward. Amy's performances were boring to me.
etexlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #107
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
IMO.
There's no doubt about that. To me he seemed not terribly agile, but tall and strong so that the women could use him to structure for all their amazing dancing.

I get that sometimes the male lead is mostly there for that kind of structure, but IMO Aaron wasn't very graceful about it.

Anyway, still a fun season!
Old 09-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #108
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
I appreciated his work in the group numbers when he was performing with smaller dancers. He's not a small guy, and it's not a trivial task to match smaller dancers and not screw up the timing of everything.

Other male dancers (Paul) were better, but I wouldn't have put Aaron as one of the weakest.

As usual, though, it would be interesting if the show was structured like Project Runway and the judges were the only ones in charge of which dancer went home.

Way back when, Bravo did a dance show along those lines, but it only lasted one season. It's a pity it didn't last. (IMHO, Bravo's Make Me a Supermodel was more interesting than America's Next Top Model, too.)
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #109
Cainebj

Quote:
Yes - and then but the weird thing was the top 10 men routine with the sand - there were 10 men - I was trying to figure out if they put in a sub - - - or something...

which i have to say is probably the best routine of the season for me. Sand that is.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #110
gschrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Yes - and then but the weird thing was the top 10 men routine with the sand - there were 10 men - I was trying to figure out if they put in a sub - - - or something...
I think they slipped that in as a previously recorded one. I don't think they mentioned it on air, but it was a little suspicious. (Especially suspicious is I'm pretty sure I saw Jade in it doing moves he wouldn't be doing shortly after surgery.)

Gotta be honest, my favorite routine of the year was the top 20 intro routine that they also played as a taped number.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #111
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Did anybody else see Travis, Napoleon and Tabitha, Sonja Tayeh, and Mandy Moore (and the dance number) on the Emmys last night?
Old 09-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #112
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Did anybody else see Travis, Napoleon and Tabitha, Sonja Tayeh, and Mandy Moore (and the dance number) on the Emmys last night?
Yes- Travis looked like a bundle of nerves.

I did like that they stood them all up there, though.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #113
jehma

I saw Melanie in there as well. It was great that they brought the choreography into the prime time show.