TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 143 votes, 4.98 average.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #211
pmalve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
I see you posted you were in CT (Cox New England), I believe Cox New England is Copy Freely except the Premiums, where most Cox markets are Copy Once except the locals, this could be be a factor in success.

Could you tell us which City (Cox market)
Motorola CableCARD Hardware# that worked
Meriden CT system
Motorola Card 514517-012-00
FW*06.25
pmalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #212
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo
 
TiVoMargret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 240
Issues with Cisco CableCARDs

I'm sorry that some of you are still experiencing this issue. We are continuing to look into it with very high priority.

Below is a detailed explanation of the issue, put together by one of our Senior Engineers.

-----

Here are some details on what’s going on under the covers, and how you can help determine what’s happening:

Most cable companies use Conditional Access Encryption on virtually all channels. CA encryption is managed by the cable company entirely through messages from the cable company’s headend equipment to the CableCARD. Once provisioned in this way, the CableCARD knows which channels it should decrypt and which it should not. You can move the card between two TiVos, and the card will remember this information and will continue to decrypt those channels without further interaction with the headend.

It is our experience that all Cisco and Motorola CableCARDs currently in the field can successfully perform CA decryption on 6 tuners concurrently.

Once the card has decrypted the stream, it decides whether to apply Copy Protection. Most cable companies do NOT apply copy protection to all channels - we call those low-value channels. However, most cable companies do apply copy protection to premium channels such as HBO and Cinemax - these are considered high-value channels. This is where CableCARD pairing comes into play. When a card is paired, the card and host exchange keys to use in protecting the content. If you move the card to another TiVo, the pairing is lost, and high-value content will not be viewable until the card and the TiVo are re-paired by the cable company. If a channel is presented correctly, you can go to the DVR diagnostics screen and view the CCI Byte for that channel. A CCI of 0x00 means the channel is not copy protected, and a CCI of 0x02 or 0x03 indicates the channel is copy protected. If the channel is not presented correctly for any reason, the CCI byte may not be informative.

It is our experience that all recent Motorola CableCARDs perform Copy Protection without issue. However, not all Cisco CableCARDs in the field correctly handle Copy Protection in 6-tuner units. Some firmware levels of Cisco CableCARDs can only handle copy protected channels when tuned on specific tuners. You can determine the firmware level by using your TiVo Remote to go to Account & System Information -> CableCARD Decoder -> CableCARD options -> CableCARD Menu -> CA Diagnostics. You should see a line that starts with something like ‘OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.XXXX’. If the final number is not 2801 or higher, you will likely have problems using all 6 tuners.

With the older firmware, it can seem like at some times all six tuners are working, and at other times they are not working. If all six tuners are tuned to low-value channels, all six tuners will be presented correctly. If you tune to high-value channels using the tuners which the CableCARD handles correctly, the channel will be presented correctly. However, if you tune to a high-value channel on one of the tuners that are not handled correctly by the CableCARD, then you will experience a black screen.

When faced with a V58 error or a black screen, it is important to determine who manufactured your CableCARD. If Cisco, it’s important to also know the firmware level. We then need to know which channel you are tuned to, and which tuner is involved. You can go to the DVR Diagnostics screen and find the tuner used to tune the channel in question. If you shuffle your tuners/channels so that same channel lands on another tuner (preferably 0-3), that channel should be visible. We’d like you to try this, and confirm that the channel is viewable using an alternate tuner.

Anytime you experience this problem you should go to Live TV and enter 777-Clear for the failing case and also for the successful case. That information will be logged and returned to TiVo for analysis.

If you determine that your CableCARD has old firmware, we suggest you call your cable company and inform them that your CableCARD has old firmware and is unable to correctly support a six tuner DVR. Hopefully they will be helpful in getting a more updated CableCARD into your possession.
__________________
Margret Schmidt
Vice President, Design & Engineering
Chief Design Officer
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #213
CoxInPHX
COX Communications
 
CoxInPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
It is our experience that all recent Motorola CableCARDs perform Copy Protection without issue.
Could you define recent Motorola CableCARDs with a Part# as you did for the Verizon FiOS system.

Which part numbers work correctly on a system that is all Copy Protected except the locals?
__________________
Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, & Mini, 20.4.2, w/ Cisco SDV TA, FW F.1601, Cisco CC FW PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #214
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalve View Post
Meriden CT system
Motorola Card 514517-012-00
FW*06.25
Same Moto card model and firmware here that is also working fine. But then again I don't subscribe to any Premium (CCI=0x02) channels so not a good testcase for the problem.

Really appreciate the detailed update from Margret on this though!
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #215
CoxInPHX
COX Communications
 
CoxInPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmalve View Post
Meriden CT system
Motorola Card 514517-012-00
FW*06.25
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Same Moto card model and firmware here that is also working fine. But then again I don't subscribe to any Premium (CCI=0x02) channels so not a good testcase for the problem.

Really appreciate the detailed update from Margret on this though!
Unfortunately both Cox OC and Cox New England are Non-Copy Protected except the Premiums.

What I would like to see stated is that "514517-01x-00" and above work properly, or whatever the part number is.
__________________
Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, & Mini, 20.4.2, w/ Cisco SDV TA, FW F.1601, Cisco CC FW PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #216
moyekj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mission Viejo, CA
Posts: 9,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Unfortunately both Cox OC and Cox New England are Non-Copy Protected except the Premiums.
1st time I've seen posted that CCI=0x0 on most channels is "unfortunate". But I get what you mean pertaining to not being good test for this particular problem.
__________________
Roamio Pro, Elite, Premiere
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #217
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001
 
Goldwing2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
I'm sorry that some of you are still experiencing this issue. We are continuing to look into it with very high priority.

Below is a detailed explanation of the issue, put together by one of our Senior Engineers.

-----

Here are some details on what’s going on under the covers, and how you can help determine what’s happening:

Most cable companies use Conditional Access Encryption on virtually all channels. CA encryption is managed by the cable company entirely through messages from the cable company’s headend equipment to the CableCARD. Once provisioned in this way, the CableCARD knows which channels it should decrypt and which it should not. You can move the card between two TiVos, and the card will remember this information and will continue to decrypt those channels without further interaction with the headend.

It is our experience that all Cisco and Motorola CableCARDs currently in the field can successfully perform CA decryption on 6 tuners concurrently.

Once the card has decrypted the stream, it decides whether to apply Copy Protection. Most cable companies do NOT apply copy protection to all channels - we call those low-value channels. However, most cable companies do apply copy protection to premium channels such as HBO and Cinemax - these are considered high-value channels. This is where CableCARD pairing comes into play. When a card is paired, the card and host exchange keys to use in protecting the content. If you move the card to another TiVo, the pairing is lost, and high-value content will not be viewable until the card and the TiVo are re-paired by the cable company. If a channel is presented correctly, you can go to the DVR diagnostics screen and view the CCI Byte for that channel. A CCI of 0x00 means the channel is not copy protected, and a CCI of 0x02 or 0x03 indicates the channel is copy protected. If the channel is not presented correctly for any reason, the CCI byte may not be informative.

It is our experience that all recent Motorola CableCARDs perform Copy Protection without issue. However, not all Cisco CableCARDs in the field correctly handle Copy Protection in 6-tuner units. Some firmware levels of Cisco CableCARDs can only handle copy protected channels when tuned on specific tuners. You can determine the firmware level by using your TiVo Remote to go to Account & System Information -> CableCARD Decoder -> CableCARD options -> CableCARD Menu -> CA Diagnostics. You should see a line that starts with something like ‘OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.XXXX’. If the final number is not 2801 or higher, you will likely have problems using all 6 tuners.

With the older firmware, it can seem like at some times all six tuners are working, and at other times they are not working. If all six tuners are tuned to low-value channels, all six tuners will be presented correctly. If you tune to high-value channels using the tuners which the CableCARD handles correctly, the channel will be presented correctly. However, if you tune to a high-value channel on one of the tuners that are not handled correctly by the CableCARD, then you will experience a black screen.

When faced with a V58 error or a black screen, it is important to determine who manufactured your CableCARD. If Cisco, it’s important to also know the firmware level. We then need to know which channel you are tuned to, and which tuner is involved. You can go to the DVR Diagnostics screen and find the tuner used to tune the channel in question. If you shuffle your tuners/channels so that same channel lands on another tuner (preferably 0-3), that channel should be visible. We’d like you to try this, and confirm that the channel is viewable using an alternate tuner.

Anytime you experience this problem you should go to Live TV and enter 777-Clear for the failing case and also for the successful case. That information will be logged and returned to TiVo for analysis.

If you determine that your CableCARD has old firmware, we suggest you call your cable company and inform them that your CableCARD has old firmware and is unable to correctly support a six tuner DVR. Hopefully they will be helpful in getting a more updated CableCARD into your possession.


Hi Margret - The engineer mentioned ‘OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.XXXX’. If the final number is not 2801 or higher, you will likely have problems using all 6 tuners.

My Cisco OS Ver is "PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601". Correct me if I'm wrong but I would say my version is a newer version and I shouldn't have the black screen issues?

Thanks,
Tony
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:38 PM   #218
bradenmcg
Big Geek
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mayfield Heights, OH
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwing2001 View Post
Hi Margret - The engineer mentioned ‘OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.XXXX’. If the final number is not 2801 or higher, you will likely have problems using all 6 tuners.

My Cisco OS Ver is "PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601". Correct me if I'm wrong but I would say my version is a newer version and I shouldn't have the black screen issues?

Thanks,
Tony
You wouldn't happen to be on TWC, would you? This is what I have on Time Warner in NE Ohio. [edit]
Ahh, Hawaii, meaning you have Oceanic which is TWC. So yeah, they must have 1.5.3_F pretty universally these days.

I'm not currently using a Tivo but considering a Roamio. I have used a 6-tuner Windows Media device (Ceton ETH6) and all 6 tuners did work on CCI 0x2/Copy-Once channels. If 1.5.3_F.p0601 isn't working for you, I'd be suspicious that it could be something specific to Tivos, because it was functional with the Ceton device. (I had a lot of macroblocking, which may or may not have been related, but I was able to tune 6 protected channels simultaneously otherwise.)

I'm currently using a pair of SiliconDust HDHR units for a total of 6 tuners, but each CC is only dealing with 3 at a time. Got rid of the Ceton due to the macroblocking. Thinking about going back to Tivo now, just finding it hard to stomach the lifetime or monthly fees.
__________________
TWC + TivoHD x2 (M-Card + TRs) > DirecTV MultiRoom > TWC WHDVR > TWC + 2x HDHomeRun Prime (M-Card + TRs) + WinMC + Xbox360 Extenders > Roamio Plus w/3TB, 2x Minis
bradenmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #219
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo
 
TiVoMargret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 240
A few answers from our awesome engineer:

- Responding to 'Could you define recent Motorola CableCARDs':

Any Motorola CableCARD with firmware version 06.25 is considered current.
It is our experience that you should be able to tune Copy Protected channels
on every/all tuners regardless of the CableCARD's part number. Version
02.65 is too old. If there is a case where a Motorola CableCARD is
experiencing problems, we need to hear about it, and ask you to collect all
the data described in Margret's post #212.

- Regarding Cisco OS firmware 'PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601'

We first encountered the 'PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601' firmware and the hardware it
runs on (PKM908) after the Roamio was released. Feedback from users such as
yourself indicate that this CableCARD may not perform well in our 6-tuner
box. We ask that anyone that has any version of PKEY1.5.3 firmware follow
the steps outlined in Margret's post #212 and help us determine exactly what
that card can and cannot do.
__________________
Margret Schmidt
Vice President, Design & Engineering
Chief Design Officer
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #220
AdamNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dunellen, NJ
Posts: 318
Margret,

Is there any chance that you can give an update on the dialogue that Tivo has had with Cablevision on getting the firmware updated on the SA/Cisco cards?

I am wondering what firmware version is 'guaranteed' to work since, and what Cablevision is "testing", as there is at least one person on this thread with 2801 and another with 3001 who say they have v58 issues still.

Also according to this document from Cisco, firmware 1.5.3.0601 is for all of their CableCARD models.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/vide...1.5.3.0601.pdf

Are you saying that firmware 1.5.3.0601 doesn't seem to work well, or just that if it is a PKM908 (8 stream model)?
__________________
Roamio Pro, wired ethernet
Mini using MOCA (from the Pro)

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:10 AM   #221
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable
 
DCIFRTHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: New York
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
A few answers from our awesome engineer:

- Responding to 'Could you define recent Motorola CableCARDs':

Any Motorola CableCARD with firmware version 06.25 is considered current.
It is our experience that you should be able to tune Copy Protected channels
on every/all tuners regardless of the CableCARD's part number. Version
02.65 is too old. If there is a case where a Motorola CableCARD is
experiencing problems, we need to hear about it, and ask you to collect all
the data described in Margret's post #212...
Margret: You previously posted that Motorola CableCARDs had to be of a particular HARDWARE version in order to work correctly with all six tuners and encrypted channels on the Verizon network. Is this still the case, or should ALL hardware versions of the Motorola CableCARDs, with firmware version 06.25, be compatible?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #222
CoxInPHX
COX Communications
 
CoxInPHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
Margret,

Is there any chance that you can give an update on the dialogue that Tivo has had with Cablevision on getting the firmware updated on the SA/Cisco cards?

I am wondering what firmware version is 'guaranteed' to work since, and what Cablevision is "testing", as there is at least one person on this thread with 2801 and another with 3001 who say they have v58 issues still.

Also according to this document from Cisco, firmware 1.5.3.0601 is for all of their CableCARD models.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/vide...1.5.3.0601.pdf

Are you saying that firmware 1.5.3.0601 doesn't seem to work well, or just that if it is a PKM908 (8 stream model)?
FWIW:
My Roamio Pro's CableCARD is as follows and all 6 Tuners do work w/ Copy Protected channels, all my channels are CCI=0x02 except locals.

Scientific Atlanta/Cisco CableCARD
H/W Model: PKM800, Ver: 0012
Bldr Ver: 124
OS Ver: PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601
Build Time: Jun 19 2012
__________________
Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS, & Mini, 20.4.2, w/ Cisco SDV TA, FW F.1601, Cisco CC FW PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1301

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #223
monkeydust
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 469
I have the issue on both my Elite and Plus (on Brighthouse cable), both have cisco CA's with the most recent firmware (there's a thread in this forum somewhere that has all the firmware versions and dates). I don't subscribe to any premium channels. I've seen the issue on channels like Disney Junior & WE TV and seen on at least 4 other channels... none are "premium" but they are not "basic" network channels either. As described, I can get the channels to come in with a different tuner. I'll send a bug report next time it happens.
__________________
Active: Series 5 Plus, Series 4 Elite, Mini
Retired: S1, S2, & S3
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #224
anthonymoody
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post
Margret,

Is there any chance that you can give an update on the dialogue that Tivo has had with Cablevision on getting the firmware updated on the SA/Cisco cards?

I am wondering what firmware version is 'guaranteed' to work since, and what Cablevision is "testing", as there is at least one person on this thread with 2801 and another with 3001 who say they have v58 issues still.

Also according to this document from Cisco, firmware 1.5.3.0601 is for all of their CableCARD models.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/vide...1.5.3.0601.pdf

Are you saying that firmware 1.5.3.0601 doesn't seem to work well, or just that if it is a PKM908 (8 stream model)?

I'm curious about this as well. I appreciate the suggestion to call the cable co to request a firmware update, but in reality the chances of getting satisfaction from doing something like this is slim to none. If you even get someone who knows what you're talking about, they'll say that the cards update automatically if there is a newer firmware.

Seems like action would come mostly from corporate -> corporate pushing from TiVo to the cable cos.

Someone here monitors that yahoo group in which a CV engineer participates. Hopefully we'll more updates from that source if Margaret can't address the question directly for whatever reason.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #225
morac
Cat God
 
morac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

I'm curious about this as well. I appreciate the suggestion to call the cable co to request a firmware update, but in reality the chances of getting satisfaction from doing something like this is slim to none. If you even get someone who knows what you're talking about, they'll say that the cards update automatically if there is a newer firmware.

Seems like action would come mostly from corporate -> corporate pushing from TiVo to the cable cos.

Someone here monitors that yahoo group in which a CV engineer participates. Hopefully we'll more updates from that source if Margaret can't address the question directly for whatever reason.
Since cable companies are forced to use cards in their boxes, they are hesitant to push out new firmware that could potentially break their own boxes. Especially if everything is working fine with their boxes. If cards aren't working with a 3rd party box, oh well. It's an opportunity to push their own hardware.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #226
generaltso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vermont
Posts: 839
According to the Engineer's explanation, we should only see the problem on "High Value" channels that have a CCI byte of something other than 0x00. Am I interpreting that correctly? I don't subscribe to any premium channels. All of my non-local channels are encrypted but have a CCI byte of 0x00 and would be considered "low value" channels. That being said, I can only use 5 tuners for all but the locals. This is with a PKM800 card and the 3001 firmware.
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #227
andyf
Registered User
 
andyf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
According to the Engineer's explanation, we should only see the problem on "High Value" channels that have a CCI byte of something other than 0x00. Am I interpreting that correctly? I don't subscribe to any premium channels. All of my non-local channels are encrypted but have a CCI byte of 0x00 and would be considered "low value" channels. That being said, I can only use 5 tuners for all but the locals. This is with a PKM800 card and the 3001 firmware.
Exact same situation here (also running 5 tuners). Twice now I have also had a "Channel Not Available" message when tuning to a channel which quickly propagates to all channels. Then for some reason, after about 30 secs the card seems to reset and all the channels come back.
__________________
Andy
andyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #228
anthonymoody
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Since cable companies are forced to use cards in their boxes, they are hesitant to push out new firmware that could potentially break their own boxes. Especially if everything is working fine with their boxes. If cards aren't working with a 3rd party box, oh well. It's an opportunity to push their own hardware.
The law of unintended consequences
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:47 AM   #229
duerrs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChris View Post
Just got my Roamio Plus.. put in the 3tb drive... put the cablecard in (cisco cablevision 1601 I think firmware).... I'm in Morris county, NJ but I think I'm on the Oakland billing.

Got it working... all 6... then checking out channels and hallmark and some others gave a V58 on one of the tuners... so I put it down to 5 and will wait for the updated firmware.
I live in Kinnelon, if you reboot your tivo, do all your channels work for a while and drop off over time?
duerrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #230
profet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
I'm sorry that some of you are still experiencing this issue. We are continuing to look into it with very high priority.

Below is a detailed explanation of the issue, put together by one of our Senior Engineers.

-----

Here are some details on what’s going on under the covers, and how you can help determine what’s happening:

Most cable companies use Conditional Access Encryption on virtually all channels. CA encryption is managed by the cable company entirely through messages from the cable company’s headend equipment to the CableCARD. Once provisioned in this way, the CableCARD knows which channels it should decrypt and which it should not. You can move the card between two TiVos, and the card will remember this information and will continue to decrypt those channels without further interaction with the headend.

It is our experience that all Cisco and Motorola CableCARDs currently in the field can successfully perform CA decryption on 6 tuners concurrently.

Once the card has decrypted the stream, it decides whether to apply Copy Protection. Most cable companies do NOT apply copy protection to all channels - we call those low-value channels. However, most cable companies do apply copy protection to premium channels such as HBO and Cinemax - these are considered high-value channels. This is where CableCARD pairing comes into play. When a card is paired, the card and host exchange keys to use in protecting the content. If you move the card to another TiVo, the pairing is lost, and high-value content will not be viewable until the card and the TiVo are re-paired by the cable company. If a channel is presented correctly, you can go to the DVR diagnostics screen and view the CCI Byte for that channel. A CCI of 0x00 means the channel is not copy protected, and a CCI of 0x02 or 0x03 indicates the channel is copy protected. If the channel is not presented correctly for any reason, the CCI byte may not be informative.

It is our experience that all recent Motorola CableCARDs perform Copy Protection without issue. However, not all Cisco CableCARDs in the field correctly handle Copy Protection in 6-tuner units. Some firmware levels of Cisco CableCARDs can only handle copy protected channels when tuned on specific tuners. You can determine the firmware level by using your TiVo Remote to go to Account & System Information -> CableCARD Decoder -> CableCARD options -> CableCARD Menu -> CA Diagnostics. You should see a line that starts with something like ‘OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.XXXX’. If the final number is not 2801 or higher, you will likely have problems using all 6 tuners.

With the older firmware, it can seem like at some times all six tuners are working, and at other times they are not working. If all six tuners are tuned to low-value channels, all six tuners will be presented correctly. If you tune to high-value channels using the tuners which the CableCARD handles correctly, the channel will be presented correctly. However, if you tune to a high-value channel on one of the tuners that are not handled correctly by the CableCARD, then you will experience a black screen.

When faced with a V58 error or a black screen, it is important to determine who manufactured your CableCARD. If Cisco, it’s important to also know the firmware level. We then need to know which channel you are tuned to, and which tuner is involved. You can go to the DVR Diagnostics screen and find the tuner used to tune the channel in question. If you shuffle your tuners/channels so that same channel lands on another tuner (preferably 0-3), that channel should be visible. We’d like you to try this, and confirm that the channel is viewable using an alternate tuner.

Anytime you experience this problem you should go to Live TV and enter 777-Clear for the failing case and also for the successful case. That information will be logged and returned to TiVo for analysis.

If you determine that your CableCARD has old firmware, we suggest you call your cable company and inform them that your CableCARD has old firmware and is unable to correctly support a six tuner DVR. Hopefully they will be helpful in getting a more updated CableCARD into your possession.
My NDS card with "VGUARD" firmware is behaving similarly to the failing Cisco cards. Seems to work fine with only 5 tuners enabled.

Can we get any updates on NDS cards?
profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #231
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by profet View Post
My NDS card with "VGUARD" firmware is behaving similarly to the failing Cisco cards. Seems to work fine with only 5 tuners enabled.

Can we get any updates on NDS cards?
You should probably tweet that info to her (or email her), I don't believe that she has the time to monitor/track the forums.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #232
Am_I_Evil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by profet View Post
My NDS card with "VGUARD" firmware is behaving similarly to the failing Cisco cards. Seems to work fine with only 5 tuners enabled.

Can we get any updates on NDS cards?
same issue on this end...cablevision/NDS cablecard...

worst part is i get a false sense of security after a reboot when all 6 tuners work for a few days...then eventually i lose 1 or 2...its really annoying...
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #233
NJChris
Moogs!
 
NJChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Riverdale, NJ USA
Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by duerrs View Post
I live in Kinnelon, if you reboot your tivo, do all your channels work for a while and drop off over time?
I've never had channels drop out over time. I've only had a problem with the 6th tuner for some channels (I think they were in the 170's).

Do you have the Cisco 1.5.2 1601? (that's my firmware)
__________________
xbox gamertag - zzaz
ps3 - zzaz
Nintendo ID: njchris
NJChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #234
TiVoMargret
VP of Design, TiVo
 
TiVoMargret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 240
More feedback from our engineer:

Re: Post #221/Verizon FIOS is a different issue. Tuning works fine on all
six tuners, but macroblocking has been reported on some channels. During our
investigation, we determined that the problem does not exist on version 017
cards:
514517-002-00 - Older
514517-006-00 - Old
514517-017-00 - Newer
We are not finished investigating, but there is a chance we can workaround
problems with the older cards through a software release. In the mean time,
version 017 cards do work.

Re: Post #222/Thanks for the feedback, CoxInPHX. It is good to know that
your particular combination of hardware and firmware is working fully.

Re: Post #223/monkeydust - please gather all the information described in
post #212. That should be hugely helpful.

Re: Post #226/generaltso - Yours is a heavily tested configuration, and we
have not experienced any issues. On the next failure, please gather the
information described in post #212.

Re: Post #227/andyf - the behavior you describe sounds more like the
CableCARD is crashing and being reset. You may have a faulty CableCARD. On
the next failure, please gather the information described in post #212.
getting the 777-Clear in during the period where all tuners are black would
be quite useful.

Re: Post #230/profet and Post #232/Am_I_Evil - We're hearing more about NDS
cards. Please go through the CableCARD menus and determine what firmware
version you are running.

Re: Post #233/NJChris - Your CableCARD is definitely too old. You need to
be at 1.5.2_2801 or higher.
__________________
Margret Schmidt
Vice President, Design & Engineering
Chief Design Officer
TiVo Inc. *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TiVoMargret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #235
profet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Re: Post #230/profet and Post #232/Am_I_Evil - We're hearing more about NDS
cards. Please go through the CableCARD menus and determine what firmware
version you are running.

VGUARD3.0.7_F.p.0501
profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #236
Am_I_Evil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by profet View Post
VGUARD3.0.7_F.p.0501
same


Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1172.JPG (237.7 KB, 395 views)
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #237
Unbeliever
Random Nobody
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 3,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
Re: Post #233/NJChris - Your CableCARD is definitely too old. You need to
be at 1.5.2_2801 or higher.
Any chance TiVo can lean on Charter from the manufacturer's side to get them to update their firmware? 2401 is the latest that they are distributing. Though 5 tuners on 1601 seems to be stable now for me for the past 3-4 days. 6 is right out.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #238
Goldwing2001
Goldwing2001
 
Goldwing2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoMargret View Post
A few answers from our awesome engineer:

- Responding to 'Could you define recent Motorola CableCARDs':

Any Motorola CableCARD with firmware version 06.25 is considered current.
It is our experience that you should be able to tune Copy Protected channels
on every/all tuners regardless of the CableCARD's part number. Version
02.65 is too old. If there is a case where a Motorola CableCARD is
experiencing problems, we need to hear about it, and ask you to collect all
the data described in Margret's post #212.

- Regarding Cisco OS firmware 'PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601'

We first encountered the 'PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601' firmware and the hardware it
runs on (PKM908) after the Roamio was released. Feedback from users such as
yourself indicate that this CableCARD may not perform well in our 6-tuner
box. We ask that anyone that has any version of PKEY1.5.3 firmware follow
the steps outlined in Margret's post #212 and help us determine exactly what
that card can and cannot do.

Hi Margret - I have Cisco OS firmware 'PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601 running on (PKM 803). I will report 777 as you explained the next time I get a black screen.

Thanks Again,
Tony
Goldwing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #239
pmalve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Same Moto card model and firmware here that is also working fine. But then again I don't subscribe to any Premium (CCI=0x02) channels so not a good testcase for the problem.

Really appreciate the detailed update from Margret on this though!
I subscribe to all the premium channels and have no problem with 6 tuners now that its paired correctly.
The problem I have now is that when I added the POE filter to the cable my internet went from 30mg to 5mg. When I had Cox whole home dvr they only had a filter on the cable modem, not on the cable from the pole. Going to try it there tomorrow. I have it on cable from pole before it goes into any of the splitters outside so I know its in the right place according to instructions.
pmalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:20 PM   #240
pmalve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
Unfortunately both Cox OC and Cox New England are Non-Copy Protected except the Premiums.

What I would like to see stated is that "514517-01x-00" and above work properly, or whatever the part number is.
I can tune 6 different copy protected channels at the same time so I am pretty sure that if you get your motorola card paired correctly it will work. Took me 3 1/2 hours on the phone with Cox to get it to work. Was only getting 4 tuners to work before that.
pmalve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |