Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #91
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
according to online reporting, there is a writing staff, most of who were scrapped before season 2 started production:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1688267.html
Quote:
Sorkin, who has been criticized for credit hogging—most often, the television writing process is highly collaborative—defended his method. “I create these shows so that I can write them,” he said flatly. “I’m not an empire builder. I’m not interested in just producing. All I want to do is write. I came up as a playwright—writing is something you do by yourself in a room.

That said, I couldn’t possibly write the show without that room full of people. I go in there, and we kick around ideas. I’m writing about all kinds of things I don’t know anything about. So they do research for me.
He let go several writers at the end of S1. It doesn't mean that he then didn't hire replacements for S2.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #92
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
He let go several writers at the end of S1. It doesn't mean that he then didn't hire replacements for S2.
i never meant to imply they weren't replaced, only that, yes, there is a staff and, they were changed for the 2nd season. apologies if my post was misleading.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #93
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
There's a difference between 24 episodes and 10. How many WW did he write a year?
Sorkin wrote about all of the West Wings for first 4(?) seasons. The reason he left in last year (or two) was because Warner was sick of him tweaking until well past the last minute and not having the scripts done in time. When the ratings dipped they got enough leverage to overcome Sorkin's clout.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #94
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i never meant to imply they weren't replaced, only that, yes, there is a staff and, they were changed for the 2nd season. apologies if my post was misleading.
I wonder, because of the nature of the show, that he hires writers with different expertise to help him research and write with him. This year, perhaps he needed writers who were more intuned to writing "spy" or "conspiracy" type things. The first season he wanted writers who could write more about the workings of a newsroom. Next season, with a different arc, I'd expect all new writers again.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #95
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Sorkin wrote about all of the West Wings for first 4(?) seasons. The reason he left in last year (or two) was because Warner was sick of him tweaking until well past the last minute and not having the scripts done in time. When the ratings dipped they got enough leverage to overcome Sorkin's clout.
Well, there was also the cocaine problem if I recall.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #96
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

not to change the subject...

there's a season one marathon coming up on hbo zone monday night, 9/16, 7pm central.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #97
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I don't know, I found the whole setup to the fake story, well, not very realistic. Maybe there's more to be explained. To me, there were too many coincidences for this to be, well a series of coincidences. When the CIA source talked to Charlie, my assumption was that he set this whole thing up as revenge for them firing his son. At least that's how it appeared to me.
That's not what happened. The CIA guy clearly said in his rant that he waited, and when he heard that ACN was looking into the story he took the opportunity to reinforce it. My only concern with this is that if he was so upset with Charlie, etc. it seems like he would have done more. The manifest is pretty weak tea when it comes to proof; the secret manifest entry could be lots of different things. The whole point is they don't know what it is.

Anyway, the ONLY thing he did was provide the manifest and his confirmation as a "secret source", and the other tricky thing was he was the source for both Charlie and Will, but unknown to each other so they thought they had two confirmations when it was really the same poisoned source.

He didn't have any part in any of the rest of it. He didn't plan any of it. It was just a series of bad decisions and mistakes, and bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Not only does the ref disappear and the cut looks totally unnatural, but you can actually see the shot clock and it goes from 19 to 3. I don't know how Jerry could have done this and thought he was getting away with it, and I don't know how the rest of the staff could have reviewed the "raw" footage and not noticed that.
I agree with Doug. The cut is sloppy but sports events ALWAYS have quick cuts and jump to show different parts of the action. Sure, if you look at it for a while you may think that the cut doesn't make sense (but on live sporting events that happens too: how many times have you been watching a football game or something and they cut to a camera which is pointing at some guy's back and they have to switch away again). However remember it was actually only on in a corner of the screen and they weren't expecting the raw footage to be faked, so they weren't looking for it. The clock IS the smoking gun, but you need to really zero in on it to notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
One wonders why Dantanna couldn't schedule the interview for 9 am. Or for a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.
The general insisted on that time, when he agreed to the interview.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:28 AM   #98
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:

Excellent points. These are supposed to be professionals. They should be LOOKING for stuff like that. And watching it, it's really noticeable that there's a jump. Isn't the whole point of the Red Teams to poke holes in the story to see if it can hold up to the holes?
They had no reason to believe the raw footage would be doctored. They were looking to make sure the interviewee's intent from the raw footage was maintained in the clip. A direct parallel top the Zimmerman tape.

The reason the cut was so blindingly obvious to everyone here war because you're looking for it. I noticed a slight coherence in the position of his chin, but only because I knew about the cut and was searching for something. I was so focused on him I didn't even look at the game.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #99
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
They had no reason to believe the raw footage would be doctored. They were looking to make sure the interviewee's intent from the raw footage was maintained in the clip. A direct parallel top the Zimmerman tape.

The reason the cut was so blindingly obvious to everyone here war because you're looking for it. I noticed a slight coherence in the position of his chin, but only because I knew about the cut and was searching for something. I was so focused on him I didn't even look at the game.
But these are people who watch tape all day long. Their job in this case was to see if the story had merit, and, part of that would be watching the tape and looking to see if it's credible. Sorry, but I think someone who does this for a living would (should!) notice an abnormality.

But of course it wasn't in the script, so it didn't happen that way I'm perfectly fine with it. Normally I'm not really all that nit picky about stuff like this.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:46 AM   #100
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
But these are people who watch tape all day long. Their job in this case was to see if the story had merit, and, part of that would be watching the tape and looking to see if it's credible. Sorry, but I think someone who does this for a living would (should!) notice an abnormality.

But of course it wasn't in the script, so it didn't happen that way I'm perfectly fine with it. Normally I'm not really all that nit picky about stuff like this.
Yeah, in this case I just took it as creative shorthand for something so complicated and arcane if they'd done it "for real" it would have taken the whole episode, and we still wouldn't have understood exactly how it worked.

Even super-over-simplified as it was, they had to spend a LOT of screen-time setting it up and explaining what had happened. The kinds of real video glitches that might have happened in that situation would have been a lot harder to get across.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:00 AM   #101
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Yeah, in this case I just took it as creative shorthand for something so complicated and arcane if they'd done it "for real" it would have taken the whole episode, and we still wouldn't have understood exactly how it worked.

Even super-over-simplified as it was, they had to spend a LOT of screen-time setting it up and explaining what had happened. The kinds of real video glitches that might have happened in that situation would have been a lot harder to get across.
It's always interesting that when we consider a show "well written" as we do with Sorkin's shows, we gloss over stuff like that. If this had been in Under the Dome, we'd be sitting here tearing that point apart I guess Sorkin gets a pass.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #102
IDSmoker

Quote:

It's always interesting that when we consider a show "well written" as we do with Sorkin's shows, we gloss over stuff like that. If this had been in Under the Dome, we'd be sitting here tearing that point apart I guess Sorkin gets a pass.
That's because if it was from Under the Dome, the video would've cut between basketball, ballet, and a Shamwow commercial! <grin>
Old 09-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #103
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Well, he gets the benefit of the doubt for not being an idiot!

Unlike the White Queen, I'm not prepared to believe six impossible things before breakfast. But I'll usually spot you one.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #104
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDSmoker View Post
That's because if it was from Under the Dome, the video would've cut between basketball, ballet, and a Shamwow commercial! <grin>

I know When you get a reputation as a top writer, you tend to overlook stuff that might not be so great. But overall the series is well written even if this bit is a bit past believable for me. In the end it doesn't matter, it was still a great episode.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #105
TonyD79

Quote:
He is getting a pass? There are a lot of posts on this very specific topic. On a per unit basis, he is getting lambasted. If we posted the same amount for every mistake or stupidity in Under the Dome, those threads would stretch from the moon and back if printed in teeny, tiny print.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #106
janry

Kind of a weird question? Did anyone have issues with the sound from this show (the entire season)?

We are binge watching and just finished this episode and I think for every episode I've gotten a massive headache due to distortion in the sound. It is worse when McKenzie (or whatever the exe. producers name is) due to her accent but I notice it also with the others from time to time.

I don't have this issue with other shows and I really believe my speakers and receiver are tuned nicely.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote