TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #31
sbiller

From TiVo's most recent 10K,

Quote:
We perform a quarterly quantitative and qualitative analysis of the expected life of a product lifetime subscription which incorporates historical and future churn rates.
Quote:
We offer a product lifetime subscription option to the TiVo service that commits us to provide the TiVo service for as long as the DVR is in service. We receive product lifetime subscription fees for the TiVo service in advance and amortize these fees as subscription revenue over 66 months for product lifetime subscriptions which is our current estimate of the service life of the DVR. If these product lifetime subscriptions use the DVR for longer than anticipated, we will incur costs such as telecommunications and customer support costs without a corresponding subscription revenue stream and therefore will be required to fund ongoing costs of service from other sources, such as advertising revenue. Additionally, if these product lifetime subscriptions use the DVR for longer than the period in which we recognize revenue, our average revenue per subscription (“ARPU”) for our TiVo-Owned subscriptions will be negatively impacted as we continue to count these customers as subscriptions without corresponding subscription revenue thus lowering our average revenues across our TiVo-Owned subscription base. As of January 31, 2013, we had approximately 194,000 product lifetime subscriptions that had exceeded the 66 month period we use to recognize product lifetime subscription revenues and had made contact with the TiVo service within the prior six-month period. We will continue to monitor the useful life of a TiVo-enabled DVR and the impact of higher churn, increased competition, and compatibility of our existing TiVo units with high-definition programming. Future results will allow us to determine if our useful life is shorter or longer than currently estimated, in which case we may revise the estimated life and we would recognize revenues from this source over a shorter or longer period.

sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #32
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Nice comparison chart at weaknees, seems to be more thorough (and accurate!) than even TiVo's own comparison spec chart.

https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-roamio-comparison.php

Looking at the base TiVo Roamio, that doesn't have the built-in Streaming capability, the "Mobile Streaming" section says "In Home: Requires optional TiVo Stream." It doesn't list "Out of home" at all (while the Plus and Pro models say "Capable, coming soon.")

So does this mean the base Roamio w/Stream won't be able to do out of home streaming?
If not then that means the Premieres w/Stream would have no hope for it either.

So what's the deal with out of home streaming? Which models will actually get that feature, once it is out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!

Last edited by Fofer : 08-22-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #33
BigJimOutlaw

Tivo said all Streams will get out of home streaming. The early reviewers got a special Stream update to test it, in fact, since the built-in streaming wasn't ready.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #34
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Excellent, I've seen similar reports, and am happy/relieved once again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Old 09-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #35
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I'm doubtful but I'd sure be happy if the Premieres got the DIAL/Chromecast functionality. That can't be too computationally intensive, all it is doing is receiving a video's URL to stream... right?

TiVo's Chief Design Officer, Margret Schmidt tweeted today that a Fall update is coming to the Premiere:
https://twitter.com/tivodesign/statu...83000697933824

I'm curious to know what that update will bring.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #36
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I'm somehow pretty sure it won't bring and end to SD menus.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #37
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I'm somehow pretty sure it won't bring and end to SD menus.
I would be happy if there one or two fewer of them...
Old 09-12-2013, 03:11 AM   #38
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
My guess... DTA for the Mini. HD Wish Lists. What To Watch Now. Bug fixes.

We "might" get the new Netflix app, since it's apparently still Flash. I don't think we'll get any HTML5 stuff though, so no new YouTube. DIAL is also a maybe. They may hold that back just because it's an exclusive feature of the Roamio, not because there is any technical limitation preventing it. In fact the same might be true of the new Netflix app too.

However I'd love to be proven wrong and for the Premiere to get more features.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:30 AM   #39
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

DIAL is also a maybe. They may hold that back just because it's an exclusive feature of the Roamio, not because there is any technical limitation preventing it.
I'd be thrilled if this were so. Bye-bye Chromecast.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #40
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I'd be thrilled if this were so. Bye-bye Chromecast.
Me too. One less TV input change. I'd leave it on TiVo's by default all the time. Casting is best when the TV's always ready for it.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #41
ncbill

Chromecast will be offered by Google to TV OEMs for free or so cheap they can't refuse.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #42
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Or those TV OEMs will just implement DIAL:
http://www.dial-multiscreen.org/

(Some TV manufacturers already have, and they work with YouTube and Netflix already...)

That's what Chromecast is. A DIAL dongle. I suspect I'll get rid of mine when my other set top boxes (TiVo? Roku?) integrate DIAL.