TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
wco81

No MOCA with wireless connection to router for Roamio Plus

I'm having work done in my home, so I have to move around the Roamio and the Mini from room to room -- wherever they're not working.

So I can't set up a wired connection for the Roamio Plus.

When I set up a wireless connection, it seems to be fine. I can view Youtube videos, including HD ones, which play smoothly over the wireless connectin.

Then I try to create MOCA network and it says no Internet connection.

So I have to reconnect to my SSID and re-obtain a DHCP IP address.

If it's not supported to use a wireless connection, then it should say so, shouldn't it?

Or is MOCA only supported if the bridge is on ethernet connection?
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
WRX09MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
I'm having work done in my home, so I have to move around the Roamio and the Mini from room to room -- wherever they're not working.

So I can't set up a wired connection for the Roamio Plus.

When I set up a wireless connection, it seems to be fine. I can view Youtube videos, including HD ones, which play smoothly over the wireless connectin.

Then I try to create MOCA network and it says no Internet connection.

So I have to reconnect to my SSID and re-obtain a DHCP IP address.

If it's not supported to use a wireless connection, then it should say so, shouldn't it?

Or is MOCA only supported if the bridge is on ethernet connection?
Roamio must be wired to support Moca for a mini
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
wco81

Ok, understood.

A more general question. Now that MOCA is working across the house, would I be able to get a MOCA adapter to feed ethernet to another device near any coax drop?

The ones on Amazon are described as coax-to-ethernet, which sounds like the built-in bridge in the Roamio Plus. But since the Roamio plus is taking the ethernet and has created the MOCA network, is there a way to connect other devices which have ethernet but not coax to the MOCA network?

Presumably something that you connect the coax to and then an ethernet port to connect to other devices?

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethe...hernet+adapter
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Ok, understood.

A more general question. Now that MOCA is working across the house, would I be able to get a MOCA adapter to feed ethernet to another device near any coax drop?

The ones on Amazon are described as coax-to-ethernet, which sounds like the built-in bridge in the Roamio Plus. But since the Roamio plus is taking the ethernet and has created the MOCA network, is there a way to connect other devices which have ethernet but not coax to the MOCA network?

Presumably something that you connect the coax to and then an ethernet port to connect to other devices?

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethe...hernet+adapter
Yep, that'll absolutely work exactly the way you want it to.

You're better off getting it directly from TiVo though for a little more than 1/2 the cost than the one on Amazon. For some reason they have the lowest prices on the web for the Actiontec bridges.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirks View Post
Yep, that'll absolutely work exactly the way you want it to.

You're better off getting it directly from TiVo though for a little more than 1/2 the cost than the one on Amazon. For some reason they have the lowest prices on the web for the Actiontec bridges.
I was actually going to say the same thing about checking out getting it from Tivo.
https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca
It is $50.
If you need 2 you can get those for $90.
It is still cheaper even when you factor in shipping and tax.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX09MD View Post
Roamio must be wired to support Moca for a mini
Why does it have to be wired? Shouldn't they be able to coexist? My mini is not near an ethernet connection. The Roamio uses wireless, and is not near an ethernet connection either?

Why does it have to be wired to stream?

Last edited by gamo62 : 08-02-2014 at 07:13 PM.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:19 AM   #7
gamo62

Anyone have an answer on why the Roamio has to have a wired connection for the Mini to work?
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 04:41 AM   #8
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Anyone have an answer on why the Roamio has to have a wired connection for the Mini to work?
Discussed a little bit at the link below. While technically feasible I think the bottom line is that they want a wired path to the router to cover for all possible scenarios as a rule for local streaming. Setups get more complicated as more boxes get added. (e.g. a Mini couldn't stream from a non-moca secondary Tivo if the host Tivo is wireless.)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10194239

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw : 08-16-2014 at 04:51 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Probably because the vast majority of residential Wi-Fi setups are nowhere close to being properly setup. Just by the fact that they only have one AP. So there is much more likely to be wireless issues from signal strength, congestion, or saturation. A properly setup Wi-Fi networks needs multiple APs in multiple locations to avoid signal issues, congestion and saturation issues. But unfortunately most homes have one AP to cover an entire house. I have several APs just for a single level condo to get proper coverage, speeds, and excellent signal strength.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote