TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Mgnyc11

Does anyone think Tivo will have an "App Store"

Now that the Roamio is HTML 5 compatible does anyone think Tivo may have a full App store. IMO thsi would be a complete game changer, and could add considerable valuation to the company. I was thinking about making a small investment in Tivo, as I believe an App store could really bring in new users and revenue streams.
Mgnyc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo announced that they will be adding the Opera TV Store, which is a ready made app store. It's relatively new so the app selection isn't that great, but there are a few TVs and BD players using it to so development should pickup over time.

TiVo also has app deals with other services, such as Netflix, Hulu, etc... that are producing apps independent off the Opera TV Store.

I suspect we'll see a lot more apps for the Roamio then we ever did for the Premiere.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
moyekj

I recently discovered how to launch web pages on the TiVo Roamios. See post starting at:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...54#post9793954

Latest version of kmttg has a remote "Web" tab from which you can launch the TiVo internal web browser with a specified URL. Above thread link has sample html5 code with a simple custom video player I used as proof of concept. So html5 development is already possible - should be much better if/when TiVo launches an official SDK for it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Can you play video from sites like CBS.com? That would be awesome!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
CBS.com uses Flash.

Unless you change your browser agent to iPhone, in which case it uses HTML5/MP4.

So, I guess the next question is, can we change the user agent on the HTML5 browser on the Roamio?

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
csell

I have been saying for years now that Amazon totally missed the boat with not having an App Store. The SDK was available as far back as S2 (I think). Had they implemented some sort of App Store back then that got independent developers interested in Tivo, it could have really changed things for the better. I made apps including a Sports Scores app that I distributed on this board and people really liked it. But it wasn't worth maintaining as there was no central place to keep it.... While its never too late, its pretty late.
csell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by csell View Post
I have been saying for years now that Amazon totally missed the boat with not having an App Store.
Don't you mean TiVo?

Because Amazon *does* have an App Store, it's just for color Kindles, and not TiVo

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
bradleys
It'll be fine....

TiVo's HME platform has always been a kludgy solution - I think a number of enthusiasts did amazing things within the limitations but it was never going to generate enough critical mass to develop into any type of an app store.

Even more recently TiVo tried to roll another in house SDK - it never got off the ground. And from what I could tell was going to be so locked down and specific to TiVo that it didn't make any sense for devs to invest time or energy on.

Now this new strategic partnership with Opera is different. Apps are being developed for multiple platforms - not just TiVo. And the SDK is a core competency of the Opera tool kit, not an afterthought hobby of a single developer.

And it even looks like they have left us a back door to implement our own community mad science experiments.

So, to answer your question: Are we going to have an App Store? Yes, but it has been outsourced to Opera (thank god)

.... And only for the Mini's and Roamio line of TiVo's
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 09-04-2013 at 01:56 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
dadrepus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleys View Post

So, to answer your question: Are we going to have an App Store? Yes, but it has been outsourced to Opera (thank god)

.... And only for the Mini's and Roamio line of TiVo's
This is the answer to the question i mostly wanted to know. I am so bummed out by this. I really don't want to buy another Tivo, unless mine break. I have 3 -2 tuner Premieres with lifetime. I was hoping for a Opera store for the Premieres as well. I want to see Plex on my Premieres, they already have a browser based client that I believe is html5 ready. maybe not opera ready but close. I'm so bummed about this.
dadrepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

One of the guys from RCN, TiVo's biggest cable partner, said they are pushing TiVo to back port the HTML5 stuff to the Premiere because they have a lot of boxes in the field. However HTML5 is likely to be very, very, slow on the Premiere hardware so even if they do cave to the pressure it may not be very usable.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
One of the guys from RCN, TiVo's biggest cable partner, said they are pushing TiVo to back port the HTML5 stuff to the Premiere because they have a lot of boxes in the field. However HTML5 is likely to be very, very, slow on the Premiere hardware so even if they do cave to the pressure it may not be very usable.
It's already kind of slow on Roamio platform perhaps due to limited RAM. If you navigate to a "busy" site (for example with lots of pictures), compared to a normal browser the Roamio browser becomes very sluggish.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It's already kind of slow on Roamio platform perhaps due to limited RAM. If you navigate to a "busy" site (for example with lots of pictures), compared to a normal browser the Roamio browser becomes very sluggish.
Same thing happens on my iPad. Hopefully these "apps" will be somewhat optimized for more meager hardware.