TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #1
bfollowell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Is there any way to get digital audio from Tivo Mini?

I have a new home theater setup going into my great room for my main television viewing area. I'm going to have a Tivo Mini in my master bedroom and I'd like to re-purpose an older, but still awesome, Yamaha AV receiver that doesn't have HDMI inputs. It's easy enough to hook the HDMI out from the Mini straight into the television but, since there isn't any sort of digital audio out from the Mini that I can see, I'm not sure how to get the sound signal to my receiver. Does anyone make any sort of decent adapter/converter that will split the digital audio out of an HDMI cable so that I can run video to my television and have separate digital audio to run to my receiver?

Thanks to anyone that may have more information.

Sincerely,
- Byron Followell
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,346
The first thing you should look at is your TV. It might have an optical output. Although some TVs will only pass stereo sound when the source is HDMI so that may not be acceptable.

If not then you'll need one of these....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
bfollowell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The first thing you should look at is your TV. It might have an optical output. Although some TVs will only pass stereo sound when the source is HDMI so that may not be acceptable.

If not then you'll need one of these....

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Thank you very much for the information and the link Dan. It is much appreciated. My current bedroom television does not have an audio output, or at least not a digital audio output. The item from the link would be exactly what I needed. That's sort of what I was thinking of and I figured someone must have something like this but I wasn't certain what to call it to search for it. $45 isn't cheap but it's a lot cheaper than buying a new AV receiver and trashing a perfectly good, albiet older receiver.

Thanks again for your help.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
bareyb
Under Maintenance
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Posts: 21,949
TC CLUB MEMBER
I didn't know those converters existed. You are a handy man. Dan.
__________________
Need a new sig...
bareyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
leiff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 382
Thread is old but im writing to warn perspective hdmi switch buyers. This or any other type will not allow hdmi video to be passed and retain surround sound. So in this case audio sent spdif to receiver from switch will be 2 channel stereo Only. I was looking for a hdmi switch for my xl4 since i have two tvs in two different rooms connected to it with hdmi cables that i control and watch with one slide remote but every hdmi switch i found wouldnt pass aurround sound so im forced to manually hotswap my hdmi cordds from my xl4 every time u want to watch tv in a different room. I was really hoping S5 tivo would have 2 hdmi outs
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,346
Do you have that specific switch? Most HDMI switches pick up the audio capabilities from the TV, so if your TV reports that it can only do stereo then the source device will only output stereo and that's what you'll get on the optical port. The one I linked to has a switch on the device. One position passes through what the TV reports just like you're experiencing. The other lies to the source device and tells it that you can support any audio type. This should allow the TiVo to send the Dolby Digital stream which will then be passed through the optical port.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #7
leiff
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 382
Yeah i see as you say there is a A B mode and mode B allows surround sound, but as i read item description mode B also disables hdmi video. But item description isnt exactly clear on this to me.
leiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
kpepling
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiff View Post
Yeah i see as you say there is a A B mode and mode B allows surround sound, but as i read item description mode B also disables hdmi video. But item description isnt exactly clear on this to me.
I have this exact item set to mode B and get both audio and video perfectly. To be clear I am getting full surround sound.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
kpepling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Do you have that specific switch? Most HDMI switches pick up the audio capabilities from the TV, so if your TV reports that it can only do stereo then the source device will only output stereo and that's what you'll get on the optical port. The one I linked to has a switch on the device. One position passes through what the TV reports just like you're experiencing. The other lies to the source device and tells it that you can support any audio type. This should allow the TiVo to send the Dolby Digital stream which will then be passed through the optical port.
What happens if you watch Netflix and it tries to send DD+ audio? What happens over those legacy outputs?
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator
 
Dan203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Nevada
Posts: 24,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What happens if you watch Netflix and it tries to send DD+ audio? What happens over those legacy outputs?
Rereading the description I think the box reports that it supports DD and DTS, so I assume the Netflix app will drop back to standard DD instead.
__________________
Dan Haddix
Super Moderator
Developer for VideoReDo
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |