TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Rate your satisfaction with the Roamio 1-5 (5 is highest)
5 - Roamio is outstanding! 147 63.09%
4 - Roamio is a very good DVR! 69 29.61%
3 - Roamio is "okay" 6 2.58%
2 - Roamio is not meeting expectations 7 3.00%
1 - Roamio is terrible 4 1.72%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
jmpage2

Smile Rate your satisfaction with the TiVo Roamio

So, the Roamio has been out for a couple of weeks now. Time to start a ratings thread so that people can indicate what their satisfaction is with TiVos latest darling.

Feel free to comment on why you voted as you did.

I dinged one point for the lack of a full HD experience and that there aren't enough online offerings (although that is out of TiVo control to some extent). Otherwise, I have to say that this is by far the coolest TiVo to hit the market since the S1.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Overall my basic Roamio is very satisfactory.

PROS

Finally the fast DVR I have wanted. Very reliable on antenna ATSC. Better tuner than Premiere XL. More tuners. Upgradability via Stream/Mini. The new Netflix client is a big improvement. Today I tried to cast a Netflix video from my Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 4G LTE and it just worked - very pleasing. Extremely easy to upgrade HD.

CONS
The current Amazon Instant Video client needs to be retired ASAP, it is horrible. Did it somehow miss its own funeral?

The occasional SD menu is a disappointment.

Using the ancient Dick Clark rating system, I love the beat and the lyrics are great, I give it a 95.

Last edited by StevesWeb : 09-10-2013 at 05:13 PM.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
BigJimOutlaw

Went with a 4, but I'd say 4.5 if I could.

Out of the gate it's strong as all hell but there's always some room for improvement. There is a headache it created for me (Verizon cablecards), a few minor bugs still to work out, and the apps will eventually come along... at which point I'd happily bump it up. Amazon Prime Instant is a particular sticking point, but it's good that the Netflix app is up to snuff.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #4
innocentfreak

I gave it a 5 since 4.5 wasn't available.

Everything for me is working great. I probably would have dinged it for the SD screens which includes the Star screens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
moyekj

Won't get "outstanding" vote for me until the crippled HDUI Wishlists screens are fixed.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

There are a few minor nits so I went with 4. But I would have given my Elite a 2, so it's an improvement.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

I gave my Roamio Pro an Outstanding rating of 5. Six tuners and a faster interface makes it an excellent DVR.

I was also extremely pleased with my two Elites but I would have given those a rating of 4 because of the slower speed.

If there were half ratings I would have gone with a 4.5 for the Roamio Pro and a 3.5 for the Elite.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
ncbill

4, because my first Roamio (Basic) died within a day.

Love the features, and I'm now pretty sure the above was just a hard drive issue.

If Tivo didn't have such a bug up its @@@ about 'popping the lid' I bet I could have just dropped in another 'AV' drive and saved them the cost of shipping.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
There are a few minor nits so I went with 4. But I would have given my Elite a 2, so it's an improvement.
I already gave my Roamio 5 stars on my Amazon review so I had to cast my vote for a 5 here as well.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
4, because my first Roamio (Basic) died within a day.
I'm going with 5 although my Basic died in a few days (rated it 4 on Amazon) . The Plus is doing well and so far I'll probably rate it 5 on Amazon.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
JohnnyO
Crimper

I gave it a 4, as nothing is so good that it can't be improved.

Overall, I am very, very pleased with the Roamio.

My dings include: can't do OTA AND Cable at the same time, Netflix App is weaker than that on Apple TV, and the silliness of having some SD menus (perfect intern project). Overall, a very strong upgrade from TiVo. I'm proud, once again, to tell people that I have a DVR worth paying for.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
jmpage2

Results so far looking very good. I will have to do a search and see if a poll for the Premiere was done at a similar time in its release cycle and what the results were.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #13
atmuscarella

I voted 5 stars.

Hands down my Roamio is the best DVR I have ever seen. Are there some things I would like to see added or improved? Sure, but it is a joy to use, does what it is supposed to without any issues, and so far my OTA reception has been great.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Results so far looking very good. I will have to do a search and see if a poll for the Premiere was done at a similar time in its release cycle and what the results were.
I am guessing if one was done the Premiere would have gotten pretty bad ratings. At the beginning with the 14.XXX software it really didn't function well enough for many people to use the HDUI at all. On the other had if TiVo had released the Premiere with only the SDUI and not used that stupid "one box" promotion I bet it would have gotten pretty good ratings.

Now I would give my Premiere about a 3.5 mostly because the OTA tuners still do not function as well as my Series 3 units.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 09-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #15
jmpage2

With the SDUI the Premiere didn't offer much at all over an S3/TiVo-HD.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
ptr727

I used a DirectTiVo 5+ years ago.

Have been using Verizon FiOS HD-DVRs for 5+ years, earlier models were crappy compared to what I remember TiVo to be, current models are really good.

Now that I got a Roamio, I am disappointed in how TiVo did not change at all, seems rather antiquated, especially when it comes switching between live TV and the menus. On my FiOS DVR TV never stops, goes to the background or minimized window, on TiVo once you go to the menu you can no longer watch TV. E.g. watch show, see show trailer, go to search and add to season pass while continuing to watch the show, on TiVo I can do one or the other, not both.

As for Netflix etc., the Romio Netflix player and controls are pretty poor compared to Roku, and Roku includes Amazon Prime, so no value add there.

P.
ptr727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #17
moyekj

Quote:
With the SDUI the Premiere didn't offer much at all over an S3/TiVo-HD.
I strongly disagree. MRS was a game changer IMO for anyone with more than 1 unit. Also the iOS/RPC interface opened the door for lots of good stuff.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #18
vurbano

i had 6 tuners spread out over 3 boxes before the roamio and all i ever wanted was one unified season pass/todo list etc. Roamio delivers on that. It was a huge hassle selling all of my preimeres for 1200 bucks to nearly cover the 1300 cost of Roamio Plus, 3 TB upgrade and two minis all with lifetime but its done and I am happy. the only single thing is that the 30 sec skip on the minis is a hair slower.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I strongly disagree. MRS was a game changer IMO for anyone with more than 1 unit. Also the iOS/RPC interface opened the door for lots of good stuff.
MRS was a valuable feature but I expect that you might be over-estimating the number of TiVo users with multiple units. If I had to guess I would say it's probably in the neighborhood of 1-5% tops.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
moyekj

Quote:
MRS was a valuable feature but I expect that you might be over-estimating the number of TiVo users with multiple units. If I had to guess I would say it's probably in the neighborhood of 1-5% tops.
Maybe so, but for anyone with multiple units it was a HUGE improvement. Also the iOS/RPC stuff was a big deal even for those with only 1 unit.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

MRS wasn't released until a year after the Premiere was released. At launch the only difference was the hardware and the barely functional HDUI. Although if you switched back to the SDUI the Premiere was significantly faster then the S3 units.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
jmpage2

Quote:
Maybe so, but for anyone with multiple units it was a HUGE improvement. Also the iOS/RPC stuff was a big deal even for those with only 1 unit.
OK, let me amend my earlier comment to be less abrasive to you.

Other than for those who were willing to shell out for multiple Premiere's for MRV the Premiere, running the SDUI was not much of an improvement from the TiVo Series 3/HD.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Really? That's it? I've always had multiple TiVos since I go tmy first three DirecTV TiVos almost 12 years ago. I would have thought more people had multiple TiVos. I always needed multiple TiVos because two tuners was never enough for recording at one location.

Of course that was miles better than the half dozen VCRs I used to use for all my recordings.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
moyekj

No question the HDUI was a step backwards for a long time. I didn't switch to HDUI on Premieres until about a year ago and still find it too slow on that platform for my Elite. But I can't imagine going back to use my S3 now. In fact I have 1 lifetime S3 unit sitting in the closet.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #25
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Really? That's it? I've always had multiple TiVos since I go tmy first three DirecTV TiVos almost 12 years ago. I would have thought more people had multiple TiVos. I always needed multiple TiVos because two tuners was never enough for recording at one location.
Only TiVo knows for sure but I doubt I'm under-estimating by much, if at all. As Dan pointed out the feature didn't even exist at launch of Premiere and was one of the reasons that I waited until the XL4 to even consider a Premiere as the Premiere seemed to offer minimal improvements over my TiVo HD.

I guess the point on this before we get too far off topic here is that TiVo really has a winner on their hands and it's evident NOW, at launch vs their last couple of product launches which were a bit underwhelming (and THAT probably IS an understatement).
Old 09-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
No question the HDUI was a step backwards for a long time. I didn't switch to HDUI on Premieres until about a year ago and still find it too slow on that platform for my Elite. But I can't imagine going back to use my S3 now. In fact I have 1 lifetime S3 unit sitting in the closet.
I always considered the HDUI a huge step forward. I used it from the beginning and never looked back. I hate using my GFs S3 TiVos now with the older interface.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #27
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr727 View Post
I used a DirectTiVo 5+ years ago.

Have been using Verizon FiOS HD-DVRs for 5+ years, earlier models were crappy compared to what I remember TiVo to be, current models are really good.

Now that I got a Roamio, I am disappointed in how TiVo did not change at all, seems rather antiquated, especially when it comes switching between live TV and the menus. On my FiOS DVR TV never stops, goes to the background or minimized window, on TiVo once you go to the menu you can no longer watch TV. E.g. watch show, see show trailer, go to search and add to season pass while continuing to watch the show, on TiVo I can do one or the other, not both.

As for Netflix etc., the Romio Netflix player and controls are pretty poor compared to Roku, and Roku includes Amazon Prime, so no value add there.

P.
Is this true? The Roamio doesn't have a live TV window in the menus like the Premiere does?
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #28
atmuscarella

Quote:
OK, let me amend my earlier comment to be less abrasive to you.

Other than for those who were willing to shell out for multiple Premiere's for MRV the Premiere, running the SDUI was not much of an improvement from the TiVo Series 3/HD.
Feature wise I agree but if they had released the Premiere with the SDUI only and you compared it to the TiVo HD it was replacing it was/is much faster and doubled the storage so I think most people would have thought of it in a positive light versus what happened where many (most?) people complained about it in very negative ways. They might not have sold any more or even as many units as there wouldn't have been any real reason for people to upgrade but I think they would have been better off and people would have felt better about their purchases.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 09-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #29
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Is this true? The Roamio doesn't have a live TV window in the menus like the Premiere does?
Untrue. Roamio has the same UI as the Premiere just with a different color scheme.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #30
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Untrue. Roamio has the same UI as the Premiere just with a different color scheme.
I think the Roamio allows you to disable the video preview window, where the Premiere did not, correct?
DaveDFW is online now   Reply With Quote