TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby
 
bsnelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Allen, TX, USA
Posts: 20,805
TC CLUB MEMBER
Boardwalk Empire S04E01 OAD 09/08/2013

Damn, what an awesome episode!

well, I'm sure it will be, it's never disappointed me

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 18,000
That was mean.

Looking forward to it, although I'll probably not see it until tomorrow afternoon.
__________________

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,822
It's more than an hour until airtime.

By the power vested in me by absolutely nobody, I hereby ban you for life.


__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #4
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnelson View Post
Damn, what an awesome episode!

well, I'm sure it will be, it's never disappointed me

Brad
Let's agree to disagree.

As much as I like this show, one of the frustrating things to me is how slow it starts. Unlike other cable dramas, where each show is enjoyable to watch, I find BE to be maddeningly slow in buildup, and I sometimes have to make myself watch. So far, I've enjoyed how each season has ended, to the point I come back the next year, as the payoff is worth it.

But the day will come when I can't take it any more, and they will lose one viewer.

And this, BTW, is why one doesn't start threads before thread-time. They get filled with the endless rants of the hoi polloi, instead of actual comments on the show we just watched.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Let's agree to disagree.

As much as I like this show, one of the frustrating things to me is how slow it starts. Unlike other cable dramas, where each show is enjoyable to watch, I find BE to be maddeningly slow in buildup, and I sometimes have to make myself watch. So far, I've enjoyed how each season has ended, to the point I come back the next year, as the payoff is worth it.

But the day will come when I can't take it any more, and they will lose one viewer.

And this, BTW, is why one doesn't start threads before thread-time. They get filled with the endless rants of the hoi polloi, instead of actual comments on the show we just watched.
Sigh.. I dread the day when slower paced story telling dies in favor of ADHD story telling.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,729
Oh, and Brad, you suck.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 18,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Sigh.. I dread the day when slower paced story telling dies in favor of ADHD story telling.
Same here.
__________________

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
Gunnyman
Super FunBall
 
Gunnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 29,064
Oh I almost forgot this was tonight. Thanks and BIH Brad!
__________________
It's a sociological cornucopia of silliness.
Gamertag: GGwallen
Gunnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Howie
Out of Pocket
 
Howie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 8,479
I always record the premium channel shows like this on the west coast feeds so they don't interfere with other things I want to record during local prime time. I don't know what the hell that has to do with anything here. It just came to mind when Rob mentioned it was over an hour until it starts. For me it records well after my bedtime, but it's one of those shows that I watch as soon as possible the next day.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #10
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Sigh.. I dread the day when slower paced story telling dies in favor of ADHD story telling.
There's a difference between slower-paced, and meandering. And there are pacings in between lethargic and ADHD. Many shows manage to find that sweet spot. My comment is that BE tends to one end of the spectrum. Doesn't mean I prefer the other end. And this is an opinion shared by others:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...k-for-season-4
Quote:
...but one that becomes far more satisfying at the conclusion of each season than it is from chapter to chapter.
In fact, it's interesting to note that this reviewer found this season taking off at a faster pace than previous seasons, and found this worthy of note. Positive note.

Again, these are just opinions. We all have them.

But hey, it's time to discuss the show!
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,729
Fast enough for you?
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #12
john4200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
There's a difference between slower-paced, and meandering. And there are pacings in between lethargic and ADHD. Many shows manage to find that sweet spot. My comment is that BE tends to one end of the spectrum. Doesn't mean I prefer the other end. And this is an opinion shared by others:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...k-for-season-4


In fact, it's interesting to note that this reviewer found this season taking off at a faster pace than previous seasons, and found this worthy of note. Positive note.

Again, these are just opinions. We all have them.

But hey, it's time to discuss the show!
TL;DR
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #13
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Fast enough for you?
Yes! I thought this was an excellent start to the season. And it's good to see Chalky have a prominent role. I've always thought he was underused. Same with Nucky's brother (name?). Seems like he will be playing a bigger part.

And one can never have too much Alphonse Caponi.

Did AR seem abnormally pale?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #14
fmowry
Registered User
 
fmowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,258
I was a bit confused about Harrow and the insurance agents he killed in the first scene and the guy sitting at his desk that he shot in the head. I can't remember what that is about or why he is going after them.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #15
Gunnyman
Super FunBall
 
Gunnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 29,064
So, no Margaret this season, or ever?
(yay)
__________________
It's a sociological cornucopia of silliness.
Gamertag: GGwallen
Gunnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #16
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
I was a bit confused about Harrow and the insurance agents he killed in the first scene and the guy sitting at his desk that he shot in the head. I can't remember what that is about or why he is going after them.
Yeah, me too. I was wondering what that's about. Seems he has some vendetta on that insurance agent.

Nice start to the season with just he right amount of gratuitous sex and violence. I've realized this is one show I can't watch while my daughter is around, and she' now 14!!. Chaulky's assistant...wow, that's some way to murder someone. But I could see that if I was in his shoes, why he did that. Especially after the wife set it up that her husband's a cheater.

I wonder what they are going to do with Darmity's mom? She's selling the big house, but what then?

So Nucky makes peace with the NY Mob. Was AR just the intermediary? I loved his line about the odds of Nucky trying to kill him. That was awesome.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:37 AM   #17
zalusky
Registered User
 
zalusky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
So, no Margaret this season, or ever?
(yay)
She is in the opening credits but I suspect it will be only here and there.
They didn't show Van Alden either but he will be back.
__________________
I will never forget the face of my wife as I left to go the operating room to donate my kidney and give her back her life.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
fmowry
Registered User
 
fmowry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 10,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
She is in the opening credits but I suspect it will be only here and there.
They didn't show Van Alden either but he will be back.
They showed Van Alden in the real quick recap from last season right before the show and in the context I was assuming we'd see him in this episode. Margaret was only shown in the scene where the dead dude in the box was delivered to Nucky.
fmowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #19
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,828
YAY! Eddie Kessler is ALIVE!
but he still doesn't have a personal life.

"You should leave."

I gotta read up on what Harrow had against those real estate guys. They foreclosed on his sister's home?

Lucky Luciano is in the fold in the Italian outfit.
__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
YAY! Eddie Kessler is ALIVE!
but he still doesn't have a personal life.

"You should leave."

I gotta read up on what Harrow had against those real estate guys. They foreclosed on his sister's home?

Lucky Luciano is in the fold in the Italian outfit.
I like how the lieutenants for Torrio and Rothstein, Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky become big time gangsters in their own right (and of course Capne too).

I felt bad for the newspaper guy when Capone came for a visit to scare the crap out of him for spelling his name wrong. That guy would have crapped his pants in real life.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #21
john4200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
I gotta read up on what Harrow had against those real estate guys. They foreclosed on his sister's home?
I don't think we are supposed to know yet.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #22
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,828
Hey! Herc got work!

https://twitter.com/D_Lombardozzi

He still sounds more like an east coast Eyetalian, not a Chicaguh guy.
__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I like how the lieutenants for Torrio and Rothstein, Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky become big time gangsters in their own right (and of course Capone too).
Has Rothstein suffered from the Black Sox scandal yet? (I think it was mentioned a season or two back?) What did finally ruin him?

"I put my getting killed at 13 to 1 against."
__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #24
Langree
The Gimp
 
Langree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 16,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Has Rothstein suffered from the Black Sox scandal yet? (I think it was mentioned a season or two back?) What did finally ruin him?

"I put my getting killed at 13 to 1 against."
We are quite a bit after the Black Sox scandal, that was 1919.

It was a bullet that ruined him in 1928.
__________________
The TOS for the Internet clearly notes there will be people who display their ignorance without giving any warning and indeed are likely unaware they are displaying their ignorance for all to see.
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
Gunnyman
Super FunBall
 
Gunnyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 29,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmowry View Post
They showed Van Alden in the real quick recap from last season right before the show and in the context I was assuming we'd see him in this episode. Margaret was only shown in the scene where the dead dude in the box was delivered to Nucky.
Spoiler:
and the actress doesn't have any IMDB credit for this season

__________________
It's a sociological cornucopia of silliness.
Gamertag: GGwallen
Gunnyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
Spoiler:
and the actress doesn't have any IMDB credit for this season
Neither does Steve Buscemi, FWIW.

As strategies for putting the spark back into a marriage go, that one leaves a little bit to be desired...

But that Fed knows a thing or two about career advancement!
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #27
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser
 
MikeAndrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Illinois (Dn Nr WI)
Posts: 11,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
...But that Fed knows a thing or two about career advancement!
The kid's babe in the woods act could be just the thing that trips up Nucky good.


and I don't need it to go in the mouth.

How about Gillian being off the chemical deep end thanks to the boost from Gip?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12126891_gal.jpg (25.1 KB, 127 views)
__________________
1) Series 4 Premiere - Lifetime
2) Series 3 OLED - Lifetime.
2) Series 2 DT 500GB
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #28
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I like how the lieutenants for Torrio and Rothstein, Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky become big time gangsters in their own right (and of course Capne too).

I felt bad for the newspaper guy when Capone came for a visit to scare the crap out of him for spelling his name wrong. That guy would have crapped his pants in real life.
uh oh...someone is in big trouble!

Those 2 guys harrow killed at the beginning mentioned something about laying low, the other guy killed at his desk said he was just a middle-man. I suspect a scheme defrauding people of their farms and they had gone after Emma. That was a mistake!

Why is everyone refusing to discuss what happened at the whorehouse?
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #29
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
uh oh...someone is in big trouble!

Those 2 guys harrow killed at the beginning mentioned something about laying low, the other guy killed at his desk said he was just a middle-man. I suspect a scheme defrauding people of their farms and they had gone after Emma. That was a mistake!

Why is everyone refusing to discuss what happened at the whorehouse?
I'm assuming you mean with the talent agent and Chaulky's assistant? I mentioned it earlier. Not really much to say there, it's pretty self explanatory.

(unless you're talking about Darmity mom, in which case I have nothing to say except I wish she'd just go away)
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa
 
Anubys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
Posts: 22,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I'm assuming you mean with the talent agent and Chaulky's assistant? I mentioned it earlier. Not really much to say there, it's pretty self explanatory.

(unless you're talking about Darmity mom, in which case I have nothing to say except I wish she'd just go away)
I was talking about the scene in the courtroom where the judge kept asking what the heck happened that night (when Harrow killed all the people in the whorehouse and took the kid to his GF). Both sides refused to talk about it.

It seemed strange that the judge didn't know. Even stranger that nobody would talk about it.
__________________
That Anubys is a GENIUS! -- Rob Helmerichs
I'm sure not a GENIUS, like Anubys -- Rob Helmerichs
And Anubys' genius just keeps shining through! -- Rob Helmerichs
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |