Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #8791
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Taco View Post
They also may throw the $30.50 XFINITY TV In-Home Service Visit charge at you.
Yeah they typically pull that bs additional charge. It's supposed to be for only issues that "aren't their problem", but most often it comes down to their problem.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #8792
DirectViewer

Be sure to sign up for the internal wiring/service protection plan before you order the truck role
DirectViewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #8793
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeln2672 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the replies -- TiVo users are the best! I was afraid of ridiculous charges like those above, so I didn't end up canceling the amplifier order. Like I said before, it was only $20, and Amazon's return process is pretty simple so I figured I'd give it a shot. Anyway, just wanted to report that it showed up this afternoon (a day early -- thanks Amazon) and it's working like a charm! I'm getting a signal in the high 90's on almost every channel, including those that I previously wasn't even able to tune! I installed it outside the house just in front of where the line to the problem room splits away from the other lines and enters the house. I'm sure I have a problem on that line (either inside or outside the house), but I'm renting the house anyway and this little fix is working for now so I'm happy
Congrats. You did it the right way. You have to get the amp in line before it gets to the house wiring. Now you are simply pushing more dBs through bad cable.

If you want a cheap easy fix, see if you can find both ends of the problem cable and put new connectors on them. I used to do service calls when I had a Cable TV business, and 99% of the time a new connector fixed the problem. It was far more rare to have a problem with the actual cable.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #8794
abaraff

Using FIOS CableCARDs?

I recently bought a used Tivo HD on Craigslist that included 2 single stream CableCARDs (Motorola MediaCipher) that had been used with FIOS previously. Is it possible to use these CableCARDs with Comcast or do I have to rent a CableCARD from them?

I'm not as interested in saving the monthly CableCARD rental fee as I am avoiding a truck roll or a trip to the local Comcast office which routinely has a 45 minute line populated by some of the least happy customers you've ever encountered!

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
abaraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #8795
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaraff View Post
I recently bought a used Tivo HD on Craigslist that included 2 single stream CableCARDs (Motorola MediaCipher) that had been used with FIOS previously. Is it possible to use these CableCARDs with Comcast or do I have to rent a CableCARD from them?

I'm not as interested in saving the monthly CableCARD rental fee as I am avoiding a truck roll or a trip to the local Comcast office which routinely has a 45 minute line populated by some of the least happy customers you've ever encountered!

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Won't work. The previous owner should have removed them as they probably are Verizon property.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #8796
abaraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Won't work. The previous owner should have removed them as they probably are Verizon property.
Thanks for the answer. Just out of curiosity, why won't they work? Are they somehow tied to Verizon?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #8797
lpwcomp

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. Just out of curiosity, why won't they work? Are they somehow tied to Verizon?
Yes. Some are even tied to the particular cable head-end, so even a Comcast card won't work if you change locations. Also, Comcast knows what is on you account so you would be unlikely to be able to get them paired.

What model TiVo is this and do you have any other CableCARDs or cable STBs on your Comcast account?

Old 09-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #8798
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Is it possible to use these CableCARDs with Comcast or do I have to rent a CableCARD from them?
The monthly rental cost is $0.00. If your TV package normally includes a Comcast STB you'll get a $2.50 credit for using one of the cards they give you.
Quote:
I'm not as interested in saving the monthly CableCARD rental fee as I am avoiding a truck roll or a trip to the local Comcast office which routinely has a 45 minute line
They can't force a truck roll on you (FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(1)). You need human interaction in order to get that card--either from a tech or a CSR at the cable store. They might be able to mail you a card.
If you get a card at the local office, go during the middle of the month or at least early in the day for the shortest lines. Right now the lines are horrible since it's the end of one of the moving weekends that just happens to coincide with a holiday.
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #8799
abaraff

The Tivo I just bought is a TCD652160. The one I already own is also a TCD652160 with a multi-stream CableCARD in it.

In case it wasn't clear, I'm not trying to avoid paying for an additional outlet or anything like that. I didn't even think about trying to use these CableCARDs from Verizon until I called Comcast and was told they can't mail me a CableCARD. The only options for getting one from them are to either have a tech come out or drive to the local office. If there'd been any chance of these Verizon cards working I planned to call Comcast and tell them exactly what I was doing, have them pair the cards, etc.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #8800
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
If there'd been any chance of these Verizon cards working I planned to call Comcast and tell them exactly what I was doing, have them pair the cards, etc.
Comcast won't let its customers own any equipment that is capable of decrypting transmissions. At least that's how a rep at my local office worded it.

Do you already have a TV where you're planning on putting this TiVo? If so, the outlet charge will remain the same. If not, see my last post which I finished typing at the same time you finished typing.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #8801
abaraff

Quote:
Do you already have a TV where you're planning on putting this TiVo? If so, the outlet charge will remain the same.
I do already have a TV in that location with a digital transport adapter and a series 1 Tivo. I don't think I'm paying an outlet charge for it currently, so I fully expect to have to pay $10/month for the outlet plus a CableCARD rental fee instead of the couple bucks I currently pay for the DTA. I just wish Comcast would make it easier for me to pay them more each month!

Thanks for the suggestions about avoiding the busiest times at the local office.

Update: Comcast just agreed to waive the fee for a truck roll, so I'll go that route.

Last edited by abaraff : 09-03-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #8802
lpwcomp

Quote:
In case it wasn't clear, I'm not trying to avoid paying for an additional outlet or anything like that. I didn't even think about trying to use these CableCARDs from Verizon until I called Comcast and was told they can't mail me a CableCARD. The only options for getting one from them are to either have a tech come out or drive to the local office. If there'd been any chance of these Verizon cards working I planned to call Comcast and tell them exactly what I was doing, have them pair the cards, etc.
No avoiding this unfortunately. You'll have to acquire an m-card from them one way or another.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #8803
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
I do already have a TV in that location with a digital transport adapter and a series 1 Tivo. I don't think I'm paying an outlet charge for it currently, so I fully expect to have to pay $10/month for the outlet plus a CableCARD rental fee instead of the couple bucks I currently pay for the DTA.
Remember the "CableCARD rental fee" is $0.00. In the Greater Seattle area, the outlet fee is $8.75. If you use a CableCARD in a TiVo you get a $2.50 credit making it $6.25 a month. According to my pricing guide, the DTA is $0.00 a month for the first and second outlets; $0.50 on the third and additional outlets. Not sure what you're paying.

I suppose if I were you, I'd take the DTA in and ask to swap it for a CableCARD. They're not charging you an outlet fee now and therefore shouldn't change--that'd be my argument. It sounds like you don't have digital cable. If that's true, there shouldn't be an outlet fee. I have limited basic--albeit only one outlet--and have no outlet charges. I am not, however, getting the $2.50 credit as I don't think the DTA qualifies under their equipment credit.

Also don't quite understand the fretting about going to the local office; if you're going to get rid of the DTA you have to go there anyways, even if it's just to the after hours drop (if that location has one)
Old 09-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #8804
lpwcomp

Quote:
I do already have a TV in that location with a digital transport adapter and a series 1 Tivo. I don't think I'm paying an outlet charge for it currently, so I fully expect to have to pay $10/month for the outlet plus a CableCARD rental fee instead of the couple bucks I currently pay for the DTA. I just wish Comcast would make it easier for me to pay them more each month!

Thanks for the suggestions about avoiding the busiest times at the local office.

Update: Comcast just agreed to waive the fee for a truck roll, so I'll go that route.
Most Comcast locales do not charge for CableCARD rental, and as Atomic Taco said, you should receive a $2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment" credit which will partially offset the ADO fee. While it should be automatic, you may have to call and explicitly request the credit.

BTW, you should also be getting the credit for your existing TiVo.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #8805
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Depends on the cable package and their interpretation. You get the credit if you have a "video service that includes equipment as a part of the service" and I don't know if a DTA is actually required; wheras something like a Moneyrolla STB is required for the Digital packages.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #8806
abaraff

Quote:
Remember the "CableCARD rental fee" is $0.00. In the Greater Seattle area, the outlet fee is $8.75. If you use a CableCARD in a TiVo you get a $2.50 credit making it $6.25 a month. According to my pricing guide, the DTA is $0.00 a month for the first and second outlets; $0.50 on the third and additional outlets. Not sure what you're paying.

I suppose if I were you, I'd take the DTA in and ask to swap it for a CableCARD. They're not charging you an outlet fee now and therefore shouldn't change--that'd be my argument. It sounds like you don't have digital cable. If that's true, there shouldn't be an outlet fee. I have limited basic--albeit only one outlet--and have no outlet charges. I am not, however, getting the $2.50 credit as I don't think the DTA qualifies under their equipment credit.

Also don't quite understand the fretting about going to the local office; if you're going to get rid of the DTA you have to go there anyways, even if it's just to the after hours drop (if that location has one)
I just realized the location in my profile is out of date. It should be Montgomery County, Maryland now. I'm not sure if that makes the pricing structure substantially different than Seattle's.

I had to visit the local office twice last fall and the line was 45 minutes the first visit and about an hour the second. The drive is about 25 minutes each way. It just seems crazy to spend that amount of time when a CableCARD could so easily be mailed for about a buck or FedEx'd for $10. In any event, the point is moot as a tech will be coming out next week and the fee will be waived which is a great resolution as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #8807
lpwcomp

Quote:
Depends on the cable package and their interpretation. You get the credit if you have a "video service that includes equipment as a part of the service" and I don't know if a DTA is actually required; wheras something like a Moneyrolla STB is required for the Digital packages.
I'm not talking about the Series 1 connected to the DTA, I'm talking about the other THD he has.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #8808
a68oliver

Quote:
Most Comcast locales do not charge for CableCARD rental, and as Atomic Taco said, you should receive a $2.50/mo "Customer Owned Equipment" credit which will partially offset the ADO fee. While it should be automatic, you may have to call and explicitly request the credit.

abaraff,

Not sure about all other markets, but in my market your first outlet and any additional outlets include your first cablecard at $0.00. If you have an original S3 which requires 2 cablecards, then the 2nd card will be billed at $1.50. The first outlet and additional outlets also include a converter box. Since you are using your own Tivo in place of the converter box you get a $2.50 customer owned equipment credit.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #8809
cr33p

Just got a new Roamio and having a hard time getting my cable card set up.

Previously when I went from a Premiere to a Premiere XL4 I just moved the card, never called Comcast, been running fine for 10 months, even moved and it still works.

Picked up a new Roamio, tried swapping cards and it refuses to work.

Got a new cable card, called in, all should be set wait 45 minutes. etc etc etc.
No cable, Val:? , obviously the card wasnt paired properly, called back and they had the incorrect Host ID entered. got that cleared up and now Val:V

I have OOB messages coming in so the signal is good and getting data, however I still have no Auth information on my conditional access screen. Any ideas???
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #8810
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
I have OOB messages coming in so the signal is good and getting data, however I still have no Auth information on my conditional access screen. Any ideas???
The card has to be paired with the TiVo. You'll need to call Comcast to do this; they'll ask for some of the data such as the Host ID.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #8811
lpwcomp

Quote:
The card has to be paired with the TiVo. You'll need to call Comcast to do this; they'll ask for some of the data such as the Host ID.
Did you stop reading his post after the sentence you quoted?

Old 09-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #8812
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Did you stop reading his post after the sentence you quoted?
Probably.

Anyways, keep calling in until they get it straight. There's no magic button on the TiVo to make it work since it's an authentication issue on their end.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:10 PM   #8813
DJQuad
Poker Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
A service appointment is a service appointment. At least that would be my opening argument.
Oh get this - if it's 1 missed appointment, it's a $20 credit. If it's 6 missed appointments since April about the same issue, it's still only $20.

The kicker is that since then I've been paying them for channels I wasn't getting. Their only "offer" was to temporarily give me a few premium channels. If I wanted them I'd already be getting them.

I cannot stress enough how shady Comcast is.
DJQuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #8814
ndsports316

I have my first Tivo coming in a few days for my condo, that only has one outlet. I will just be running a splitter to my cable modem and my tivo. No other tivos or comcast boxes in the condo.

My understanding is the 1st cable card should be free. It doesn't appear to be free or any credits on the account. See below.

Xfinity TV
Digital Starter $67.95/mo.
Cablecard $1.15/mo.

Xfinity Internet
High-Speed Internet $51.95/mo.
Performance Internet SVC $0.00/mo.

Partial Monthly Charges and Credits
09/11-09/17 Digital Starter $15.84/mo.
09/11-09/17 Cablecard $0.26/mo.
09/11-09/17 High-Speed Internet $12.11/mo.
09/11-09/17 High-Speed Internet $-15.15/mo.
09/11-09/17 Performance $0.00/mo.
09/11-09/17 Performance Internet SVC $0.00/mo.

Package, Service and Equipment Fees $134.11
Taxes, Surcharges and Fees $6.02

Estimated Total $140.13
ndsports316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #8815
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsports316 View Post
My understanding is the 1st cable card should be free.
Your understanding is correct:
"The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo) is provided at no additional charge to Comcast customers" source

Also: "Comcast provides a credit to customers who have an activated CableCARD installed in a customer-owned device (e.g., TiVo) ... if the customer subscribes to a Comcast video service that includes equipment as a part of the service. Customers who qualify will receive a monthly credit of $2.50 for each qualifying activated CableCard device or converter." source
I can't say whether or not Digital Starter includes a box in your area.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #8816
Beryl

Quote:
Your understanding is correct:
"The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo) is provided at no additional charge to Comcast customers" source

Also: "Comcast provides a credit to customers who have an activated CableCARD installed in a customer-owned device (e.g., TiVo) ... if the customer subscribes to a Comcast video service that includes equipment as a part of the service. Customers who qualify will receive a monthly credit of $2.50 for each qualifying activated CableCard device or converter." source
I can't say whether or not Digital Starter includes a box in your area.
Not so sure this applies to the M-Cards needed more than one tuner:
Quote:
The first CableCARD in a retail device (e.g., TiVo devices or CableCARD-equipped televisions) is provided at no additional charge to Comcast customers. If a second CableCARD is needed for the same device (e.g., TiVo Series 3 boxes), there is a nominal fee for the additional card. Check your local market pricing for this information. Again, this only applies to a second CableCARD in the same device.

Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #8817
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Not so sure this applies to the M-Cards needed more than one tuner:
Not sure exactly what you mean, and an M card is a single card even though it can decode multiple streams. And they have to give you M cards and not S cards.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #8818
Beryl

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you mean, and an M card is a single card even though it can decode multiple streams. And they have to give you M cards and not S cards.
Ahhh. That ruling does make a difference. Thanks for the link!
Old 09-10-2013, 04:58 PM   #8819
ndsports316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Ahhh. That ruling does make a difference. Thanks for the link!
I know i posted in the wrong thread, because its the Comcast thread in a Series 3 sub section. But the Tivo i bought was dual tuner premier. So i guess my questions are.

1. 1 multi-stream card should work for both tuners because I believe the premier series 4 only has one slot?

2. Digital starter for Comcast is 2 steps above basic cable which I believe would need some type of box. Either a non hd box, an hd box without dvr, or an hd dvr.

3. I have always thought the purpose of tivos was to get away from Comcast's wack pricing for their boxes and technology fees. But I have to add a HD technology fee to my account in order to get sports and stuff in HD on the premier? Seems like after its said and done, I am hardly saving any money with tivo over the comcast leased boxes. $1.50 for m-card + 10.00 HD fee vs $17.95 for an HD DVR Comcast box. Seems like a big hassle for $6.00 a month savings.

Since i haven't activated my m-card yet, because i am waiting on the Tivo which should be here by Saturday, I wanted to check on here to get my ducks in a row if I am correct about the card needing to be free.

Last edited by ndsports316 : 09-10-2013 at 05:44 PM.
ndsports316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #8820
Beryl

Quote:
1. 1 multi-stream card should work for both tuners because I believe the premier series 4 only has one slot?
1 m-card supports all tuners.

Quote:
3. I have always thought the purpose of tivos was to get away from Comcast's wack pricing for their boxes and technology fees. But I have to add a HD technology fee to my account in order to get sports and stuff in HD on the premier? Seems like after its said and done, I am hardly saving any money with tivo over the comcast leased boxes. $1.50 for m-card + 10.00 HD fee vs $17.95 for an HD DVR Comcast box. Seems like a big hassle for $6.00 a month savings.
It is about a $16/mo savings because I don't think anyone is paying HD fees. That adds up when you have multiple TiVos devices over multiple Comcast boxes. A couple of years ago clueless installer tried to add that fee once but I told him not to do that because it isn't necessary. After pairing the card, all channels -- SD and HD come in fine. The only extra thing to do is ensure the onDemand code is applied but that isn't an additional cost. Streampix is extra but not onDemand.

You don't have to deal with clueless installers these days. Just call the 877 number.