TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #5701
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

In VRD, there are a few shortcuts. CTRL-S saves your video file. CTRL-P saves your project. Saving a project is not like saving your video, there will be a small .VPRJ file, which can be deleted later after ADCut.

If you are going to use KMTTG's adcut via VRD, you should use CTRL-P, and save it in the original folder your video is in (or in a folder set in KMTTG), and exit VRD.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #5702
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Thanks, I'll try that. Does it matter where I save it?

Am I looking at the wrong Wiki, this is what I read for manual cuts and I don't see the step. I bolded the part that made me think I was to save the file but again, I had no idea where it was to be saved.
I thought you were using the "Use VideoRedo GUI to review detected commercials" option. For that one kmttg brings up VideoRedo editing a project (.Vprj) file and you are expected to review/change cut points and then save to same .Vprj file and then exit VideoRedo.

For the "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts" option then yes you should to a video file with naming convention given in the Wiki and when that completes you need to exit VideoRedo.

For eiither one of the above tasks kmttg will wait for you to close VideoRedo before proceeding with subsequent tasks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #5703
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
I thought you were using the "Use VideoRedo GUI to review detected commercials" option. For that one kmttg brings up VideoRedo editing a project (.Vprj) file and you are expected to review/change cut points and then save to same .Vprj file and then exit VideoRedo.

For the "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts" option then yes you should to a video file with naming convention given in the Wiki and when that completes you need to exit VideoRedo.

For eiither one of the above tasks kmttg will wait for you to close VideoRedo before proceeding with subsequent tasks.
Sorry, I didn't realize there was a difference. I thought manual meant manually setting the cuts.

Anyway, I saved it as a project and got this error? Looks like it was expecting a specific output file in a certain place. I guess I need to figure out how to set that as part of the project??? I just selected the cuts then hit save project?

Quote:
"C:\Program Files\VideoReDoPlus\\VRDPlus3.exe" "E:\From Tivo\edited_000.VPrj"
vrdreview expected output file not available: E:\From Tivo\edited_000 (02).mpg or E:\From Tivo\edited_000_cut.mpg
vrdreview failed (exit code: 2 ) - check command: "C:\Program Files\VideoReDoPlus\\VRDPlus3.exe" "E:\From Tivo\edited_000.VPrj"
Also, how can I pick back up at this point without having to re download the file from the Tivo and starting from scratch? I think that's why I quit trying to figure this out, it takes so long to get back to the point of failure when you have to start from scratch.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #5704
ALbino
Lurker Series 2

If anybody has any advice on encoding profiles I'd appreciate it. My goal is a high bitrate 1080 MP4/MPEG2/MKV that has been inverse telecined down from 29.97 to 23.976 that I can post process later (crop any black bars, select specific scenes, color correct, etc).

I tried using hb_tivo_hd_crf which has this command line:

Code:
HANDBRAKE -i INPUT --detelecine --decomb --vfr --large-file -e x264 -f mp4 -O -q 21.0 -a 1 -E ac3 -x keyint=48:min-keyint=4 --denoise="weak" -v -o OUTPUT
However the file that was outputted is variable frame rate, and completely unusable for post-processing. Here's the relevant portion from Media Info:

Code:
Frame rate mode: Variable
Frame rate: 24.244 fps
Minimum frame rate: 14.983 fps
Maximum frame rate: 29.970 fps
Any suggestions on other encoding profiles to try? Or on creating my own? I'd be grateful for any help. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #5705
moyekj

OK I see there still is confusion:
For the "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts" option it's up to you to create the _cut.mpg file using VideoRedo, so for that one you DO NOT save the project, you save the video output file just as the error message pointed out, it's looking for either:
E:\From Tivo\edited_000 (02).mpg
OR
E:\From Tivo\edited_000_cut.mpg

To start from an already downloaded file you use the FILES tab in kmttg. Click on Add button and browse to the file you want to start from.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #5706
Soapm

Quote:
OK I see there still is confusion:
For the "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts" option it's up to you to create the _cut.mpg file using VideoRedo, so for that one you DO NOT save the project, you save the video output file just as the error message pointed out, it's looking for either:
E:\From Tivo\edited_000 (02).mpg
OR
E:\From Tivo\edited_000_cut.mpg

To start from an already downloaded file you use the FILES tab in kmttg. Click on Add button and browse to the file you want to start from.

Cool, gotcha and that worked fine. But it appears I'm doing this the hard way, can I make manual cuts using the GUI and still use the project method? I assume for starters I uncheck "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts". Is that all I need to do?
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #5707
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Cool, gotcha and that worked fine. But it appears I'm doing this the hard way, can I make manual cuts using the GUI and still use the project method? I assume for starters I uncheck "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts". Is that all I need to do?
Yes, you can manually make your cuts, with or without the points made in ADDetect, save Project and let ADCut do it.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #5708
moyekj

Quote:
If you want things semi-automated where commercials are detected but you want to review them with VideoRedo before letting kmttg proceed with subsequent tasks:

In kmttg VideoRedo tab:
Turn off "Bring up VideoRedo GUI to make manual cuts"
Turn on "Use VideoRedo GUI to review detected commercials"

Then for kmttg task set you would have both "Ad Detect" and "Ad Cut" turned on. Following the "Ad Detect" stage kmttg will start VideoRedo with a .Vprj file that you can review/edit. Then save project and exit VideoRedo and kmttg will then proceed to run VRD in the background for the "Ad Cut" step using the saved .Vprj file as input.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #5709
Soapm

Quote:
Then for kmttg task set you would have both "Ad Detect" and "Ad Cut" turned on. Following the "Ad Detect" stage kmttg will start VideoRedo with a .Vprj file that you can review/edit. Then save project and exit VideoRedo and kmttg will then proceed to run VRD in the background for the "Ad Cut" step using the saved .Vprj file as input.
Wow, this is great. i guess I should have asked sooner instead of living with the "comskip" jobs. I appreciate the program but it's accuracy varied greatly depending on the show.

Last question, anyway to make it process all other steps and stack up the encoding jobs. I have 3 more shows that are downloaded but QSFix and Adcut don't seem to run until one of the shows that are encoding finishes. Then it runs QSFix and adcut on the next.

I would like to get all the editing out of the way and let the encode run at it's own pace. That can take all night if it has to since it doesn't require human intervention. As it stands I'm stuck at the PC watching the encode bar so I can do the edits to the next show.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #5710
moyekj

Quote:
Wow, this is great. i guess I should have asked sooner instead of living with the "comskip" jobs. I appreciate the program but it's accuracy varied greatly depending on the show.

Last question, anyway to make it process all other steps and stack up the encoding jobs. I have 3 more shows that are downloaded but QSFix and Adcut don't seem to run until one of the shows that are encoding finishes. Then it runs QSFix and adcut on the next.

I would like to get all the editing out of the way and let the encode run at it's own pace. That can take all night if it has to since it doesn't require human intervention. As it stands I'm stuck at the PC watching the encode bar so I can do the edits to the next show.
That's because especially older versions of VRD can only have 1 background instance at a time. However if you choose the "Allow multiple VideoRedo jobs at once" option then that's the workaround, but you will get actual VideoRedo windows popping up when running VRD tasks instead of running transparently in the background.

P.S. You should just mouse over each VideoRedo option in kmttg and read the tooltips as there's good information there on what options mean as well as what else you need to consider when using them.

Last edited by moyekj : 09-10-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #5711
Soapm

Quote:
That's because especially older versions of VRD can only have 1 background instance at a time. However if you choose the "Allow multiple VideoRedo jobs at once" option then that's the workaround, but you will get actual VideoRedo windows popping up when running VRD tasks instead of running transparently in the background.
That box was already checked??? Maybe I have an old version or something. I will update when my encodes finish. Running a version you made for my cookie problem kmttg_v1p0c_beta2

Quote:
P.S. You should just mouse over each VideoRedo option in kmttg and read the tooltips as there's good information there on what options mean as well as what else you need to consider when using them.
I read them but one of my downsides is I'm a visual person. Unless I can make a visual image then written descriptions don't always speak to me. This is the cross I've had to bear...
Old 09-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #5712
moyekj

Quote:
That box was already checked??? Maybe I have an old version or something. I will update when my encodes finish. Running a version you made for my cookie problem kmttg_v1p0c_beta2
As the tooltip says the "active job limit" setting under Program Options can also limit # of jobs that can run at a time so maybe that's affecting things too.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #5713
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Is there anyway ito have a timeout in kmttg? I've started seeing VRD going to 100% finished (when it noremally writes out the mp4 file), just sit there for hours and never finish. I let them sit to see if they ever finish and got to 55 hours elapsed time, before I killed it.

Can kmttg have a built in activity timer? If a step doesn't complete in, say, 9 hours, it kills it and aborts the activity? (With an appropriate red message in the log file, of course).
This is now happenning about 1 in 3 videos. I've tried reinstalling VRD.
Anyone else seeing this? Is there a solution?

I've noticed that the output is almost always finished and the resulting file is playable, so just need something to kick VRD out so the next item can process.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #5714
moyekj

Quote:
This is now happenning about 1 in 3 videos. I've tried reinstalling VRD.
Anyone else seeing this? Is there a solution?

I've noticed that the output is almost always finished and the resulting file is playable, so just need something to kick VRD out so the next item can process.
Perhaps toggle the "Allow multiple VideoRedo jobs at once" setting in kmttg to see if that makes any difference?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #5715
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Perhaps toggle the "Allow multiple VideoRedo jobs at once" setting in kmttg to see if that makes any difference?
I've tried that. It works, kind of. There is also a toggle for max number of jobs. If a VRD hangs, it DOES start a second or third, etc up to the max jobs to run

But, as an example, If I have 10 jobs to run overnight, if I set max jobs to 3, if 3 VRD hang, it will still stop (I think downloads still run, but can't be sure).
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #5716
moyekj

Quote:
I've tried that. It works, kind of. There is also a toggle for max number of jobs. If a VRD hangs, it DOES start a second or third, etc up to the max jobs to run

But, as an example, If I have 10 jobs to run overnight, if I set max jobs to 3, if 3 VRD hang, it will still stop (I think downloads still run, but can't be sure).
Have you tried bringing up VRD manually to encode one of these shows that hangs via kmttg launch? If it still happens there then I would report it as a bug to VRD, though technically what it's doing already sounds like a bug. (If you don't already make sure you are running QS Fix before encode step).
Other option of course is to use a non-VRD encoding profile for the "encode" step.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #5717
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Have you tried bringing up VRD manually to encode one of these shows that hangs via kmttg launch? If it still happens there then I would report it as a bug to VRD, though technically what it's doing already sounds like a bug. (If you don't already make sure you are running QS Fix before encode step).
Other option of course is to use a non-VRD encoding profile for the "encode" step.
Actually, now that you mention it, it started happening when I turned ON QS-FIX as place of decode. I used to do download and decode and then use VRD to cvt the files. I switched it to Download/QS-FIX/CVT with vrd or ffmpeg and the hangs occur, which makes no sense.

I looked and also noticed this:
Code:
vrdencode failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo "W:\machines\SVRW2K8R2-ENT\kmttg v1p0eB1\VRDscripts\encode.vbs" "E:\KMTTG Data\Thriller.The Watcher.14110.Sep11-0300.mpg" "W:\video\TIVO_Underground\Newdownloads\Thriller.The Watcher.14110.Sep11-0300.mp4" /l:C:\Users\philhu\AppData\Local\Temp\2\VRDLock3131750959105859087.tmp "/p:MP4 470x352 1.5Kbps SD-FR (SD)" /m 
W:\machines\SVRW2K8R2-ENT\kmttg v1p0eB1\VRDscripts\encode.vbs(47, 1) (null): The remote procedure call failed.
On my system, this has always meant that kmttg is running out of memory. If I kill kmttg and restart it, this goes away for a few days.
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #5718
moyekj

I guess I'm still not following. Sounds like you're saying kmttg is hanging, not VRD (since you say if you encode with ffmpeg instead the encode task doesn't exit properly)?

Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #5719
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
I guess I'm still not following. Sounds like you're saying kmttg is hanging, not VRD (since you say if you encode with ffmpeg instead the encode task doesn't exit properly)?
No, I mistyped.

I switched to QSFIX because I was testing ffmpeg (audio/video sync problems a few weeks ago).

I since went back to VRD but left the qsfix as a seperate step. Thats when the transcode started to hang, if I ran QSFIX as a seperate step. So I know it is a problem in VRD and just reported it

As I am now typing, I just realized I also UPDATED VRD about the time this started happenning. VRD had a new version, I installed.

Hmmmmm
My money is on the new version having a problem, although I have seen this very rarely quite a while ago.
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Old 09-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #5720
Soapm

Quote:
As the tooltip says the "active job limit" setting under Program Options can also limit # of jobs that can run at a time so maybe that's affecting things too.
I'm getting the hang now, I had cut that down to 2 because it would try and encode 3 or 4 shows at the same time. ow I realize "Encode Cores" means simultaneous encodes and not how many cores my processor has.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #5721
Soapm

Quote:
I'm getting the hang now, I had cut that down to 2 because it would try and encode 3 or 4 shows at the same time. ow I realize "Encode Cores" means simultaneous encodes and not how many cores my processor has.

I guess I got that wrong, is there a way to limit simultaneous encodes to say 2? Then I think the shows will stack up waiting to be encoded while allowing me to edit and place them in the encode queue. As it stands, upping the "active job limit" seems to up the number of simultaneous encodes and the editing stops once that's reached.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #5722
az1097

On two different occasions, after transferring shows from my PC to a Tivo HD using PyTivo, any show in the Tivo that was not marked "until I delete" was wiped out. Does anyone know of this issue, or have any suggestions? Thanks.
az1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #5723
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1097 View Post
On two different occasions, after transferring shows from my PC to a Tivo HD using PyTivo, any show in the Tivo that was not marked "until I delete" was wiped out. Does anyone know of this issue, or have any suggestions? Thanks.
pyTivo thread is the place to pose that kind of question. But it could be related to a rogue estimate of the final file size of a transcoding transfer, which makes the TiVo think it doesn't have room to accommodate the transfer and hence deletes anything it can to make room.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #5724
moyekj

Quote:
I guess I got that wrong, is there a way to limit simultaneous encodes to say 2? Then I think the shows will stack up waiting to be encoded while allowing me to edit and place them in the encode queue. As it stands, upping the "active job limit" seems to up the number of simultaneous encodes and the editing stops once that's reached.
If you are launching a whole bunch of jobs at once for which you want to manually review commercial cut points you are probably better off launching the jobs only up to the "Ad Detect" phase, so you end up with .Vprj files. Then when ready you can fire up VideoRedo GUI and open the Vprj files, review/modify them and then save them. Once you have 1 or more ready to go, from kmttg FILES tab you can add the respective .mpg files for each one and then choose "Ad Cut" task plus any other subsequent tasks for kmttg to run since all tasks from that point on are batch. (kmttg will know to look for the respective .Vprj files for each .mpg file as a starting point of the "Ad Cut" task).

In that manner all the batch portions of the kmttg tasks are not interrupted waiting for you to edit Vprj files.

EDIT: In reviewing kmttg code I see that VRD GUI jobs are not considered "active jobs" so should not count against "active job limit" setting. I will need to update the tooltip to reflect that. So if you are running recent version of kmttg the vrdreview tasks don't count against "active job limit" so should not prevent other active jobs from running.

Last edited by moyekj : 09-11-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #5725
Soapm

Quote:
EDIT: In reviewing kmttg code I see that VRD GUI jobs are not considered "active jobs" so should not count against "active job limit" setting. I will need to update the tooltip to reflect that. So if you are running recent version of kmttg the vrdreview tasks don't count against "active job limit" so should not prevent other active jobs from running.
That doesn't appear to be what's happening, I currently have 4 encodes going (which are really straining my machine) and all the adcuts, QSFix etc... for the remaining files are sitting queued.

I would like to limit the simultaneous encodes to 2 but let the other parts of the queue continue. I have about 150 files from a program I am trying to store but doing them one at a time like your suggestion would be daunting.

If I could get kmttg to limit the encodes to 2 but still process the adcuts, qsfix etc... I could edit 10 or so, come back when I have more time and do another 20 or so then later do more and they'll be encoding while I'm going about my normal life.

Limiting the econdes to 2 would also allow me to use the computer, I'm so bogged down with 4 that I can't really use that computer.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #5726
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1097 View Post
The fact that you mention KUID makes me suspect that you have a lot of recordings flagged that way. Yes? Ironically, that's exactly the condition that seems to lead to excessive deletion of the unmarked programs when a new recording is made, or transferred.

It's true that pyTivo (usually) overestimates the size of what it will send -- intentionally; because the alternative, underestimation, leads to the newly transferred recording being deleted immediately. But it's normally (depending on the source material) not by a large factor. The kind of dramatic result you describe is something I've only heard of in connection with systems that have a large percentage of KUID recordings.

And yes, this should've been in the pyTivo thread.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #5727
moyekj

Soapm, the "qsfix" and "adscan" task are considered active jobs since they are CPU intensive, and they come before the "vrdreview" task, so what you show there is expected behavior - there's 4 active encode jobs running already so a "qsfix" or "adscan" active job won't launch until one of the encode job finishes. The "vrdreview jobs aren't active, but they are waiting for the respective qsfix and adscan jobs to run before they can launch so everything is behaving as would be expected.

Please read my suggestion again. I didn't say to do 1 at a time. I proposed you run in 2 stages, 1st stage ending at "Ad Detect" - you can queue up as many as you like and fire them all off and create all the .Vprj files you can handle. Then you can start reviewing those with VRD and as they are ready you can kick off kmttg 2nd stage starting with "Ad Cut". If you have 10 .Vprj files ready to go you can kick off all 10 at same time and let kmttg process them in batch mode from there on. While those are running you can use VRD to process more .Vprj files (perhaps limiting active jobs in kmttg to 1 or 2 so system is not overloaded while you are reviewing other .Vprj files).

NOTE: With this 2 stage approach you would turn off the "Use VideoRedo GUI to review detected commercials" setting.

Last edited by moyekj : 09-12-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:56 AM   #5728
Soapm

Quote:
Soapm, the "qsfix" and "adscan" task are considered active jobs since they are CPU intensive, and they come before the "vrdreview" task, so what you show there is expected behavior - there's 4 active encode jobs running already so a "qsfix" or "adscan" active job won't launch until one of the encode job finishes. The "vrdreview jobs aren't active, but they are waiting for the respective qsfix and adscan jobs to run before they can launch so everything is behaving as would be expected.
I understood about them using the processor which was why I was hoping code could be easily added (or was there) to limit encoding to "X" cores which frees the other cores (or active jobs) to do other processing. Qsfix and adscan would only run when I am actively working those tasks since they'd eventually pause at the VRD stage.

Allowing all active jobs to encode seems like a bottleneck in the big picture.

Quote:
Please read my suggestion again. I didn't say to do 1 at a time. I proposed you run in 2 stages, 1st stage ending at "Ad Detect" - you can queue up as many as you like and fire them all off and create all the .Vprj files you can handle. Then you can start reviewing those with VRD and as they are ready you can kick off kmttg 2nd stage starting with "Ad Cut". If you have 10 .Vprj files ready to go you can kick off all 10 at same time and let kmttg process them in batch mode from there on. While those are running you can use VRD to process more .Vprj files (perhaps limiting active jobs in kmttg to 1 or 2 so system is not overloaded while you are reviewing other .Vprj files).

NOTE: With this 2 stage approach you would turn off the "Use VideoRedo GUI to review detected commercials" setting.
Ok, I will sleep on it so it can digest, I'm probably mentally seeing this as daunting so can only see the room for errors and not the fact that it can easily be done. I'm sure I'm not the first to record every episode of a show and now want to move them off the Tivo. i was just hoping to highlight them all and hit go and not have to keep track of which were done and which are at what stage of processing. Organization isn't my strong suit.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #5729
reneg

Quote:
I understood about them using the processor which was why I was hoping code could be easily added (or was there) to limit encoding to "X" cores which frees the other cores (or active jobs) to do other processing. Qsfix and adscan would only run when I am actively working those tasks since they'd eventually pause at the VRD stage.

Allowing all active jobs to encode seems like a bottleneck in the big picture.
If I understand this right. In the kmttg configuration, under program options, you can configure the "active job limit" and "encoding cpu cores". What this means is that each active job can consume x number of cpu cores for encoding.

For example, my PC has 12 cpu cores, I have active job limit set to 2, and encoding cpu cores set to 5. This means that when there are 2 encoding jobs running, kmttg is using 2x5 or 10 of my 12 cpu cores. This leaves me with 2 cpu cores to do other things while kmttg is running.
reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #5730
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
If I understand this right. In the kmttg configuration, under program options, you can configure the "active job limit" and "encoding cpu cores". What this means is that each active job can consume x number of cpu cores for encoding.

For example, my PC has 12 cpu cores, I have active job limit set to 2, and encoding cpu cores set to 5. This means that when there are 2 encoding jobs running, kmttg is using 2x5 or 10 of my 12 cpu cores. This leaves me with 2 cpu cores to do other things while kmttg is running.
Does yours work that way? Mines won't process "other things" because the active job limit is maxed and all the allowed cores are dedicated to encoding.

I've looked at the two step process with a fresh mind and think it's workable. I'll just have to set up folders to keep track of the steps and will probably take the time to do all step 1... Then come back later, reset the settings and do step 2. That's the beauty of a 2TB drive in the Tivo, you don't have to rush to remove the shows...