TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Stormydog

video pc to tivo

In the past downloaded TiVo recordings to my pc using TiVo desktop, because wanted to put on dvd. I needed to clear more space on TiVo and did not want to watch them right away.

I now have more space on TiVo and want to watch them on large screen tv, not on a small pc screen. I will have to upgrade to new TiVo desktop but wanted assurances I could copy videos to my TiVo.

Not sure about conversion formats but used defaults with Direct Show Dump.
Wanted to know before upgraded.
Stormydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Don't know about desktop but pyTivo, which is free, will do the job.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You would not need to upgrade desktop. With you computer running, just go to your play list on the Tivo and scroll to the bottom, or press ->|. You computer should be listed.

If not, you would need to go to www.tivo.com/mma, login, go to preferences and check the boxes for you Tivos. Connect your Tivos to Tivo service, and make sure its got a Media Access Key. You you need that to access the tivo.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
unitron

I don't blame you for wanting to watch television on a television.

If you copied those show to the PC with Desktop, then they should be there on the PC's hard drive as .tivo files in the My TiVo Recordings folder, and the contents of that folder should show up as the contents of the folder with your PC's name at the bottom of your Now Playing list.

You've probably already got a new enough version of Desktop, and shouldn't need to get the new non-free version, which I think is the old version with some codecs MS left out of Windows 8.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Stormydog

video pc to tivo

I am using the free TiVo desktop version. When I tried to access the video files on my pc thru desktop, it said I had to link them and then says I do not have the upgrade installed. I figured it requires the paid TiVo desktop.

I was afraid of pytivo but took a stab at it and don't know where I am with it or how to use.
I downloaded python 2.7
I unzipped pytivo
I renamed pytivo.conf with editing of path for ffmeg
I started pytivo.py and the python dos prompt appears. It finds my dvrs but errors happen after a while on connection I think. I will give more info later.
I went to pytivo home page and entered directory and MAC in global settings.

Now I am not sure how to use. I also read about making TiVo a service?

Hopefully the free TiVo desktop will work, but I understood the paid allowed web videos to be put back on TiVo dvr. Not sure free will do it or not based upon my linking inability mentioned earlier.

If the free TiVo desktop does not work, can you direct me on how to use pytivo?
Old 09-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormydog View Post
I am using the free TiVo desktop version. When I tried to access the video files on my pc thru desktop, it said I had to link them and then says I do not have the upgrade installed. I figured it requires the paid TiVo desktop.

I was afraid of pytivo but took a stab at it and don't know where I am with it or how to use.
I downloaded python 2.7
I unzipped pytivo
I renamed pytivo.conf with editing of path for ffmeg
I started pytivo.py and the python dos prompt appears. It finds my dvrs but errors happen after a while on connection I think. I will give more info later.
I went to pytivo home page and entered directory and MAC in global settings.

Now I am not sure how to use. I also read about making TiVo a service?

Hopefully the free TiVo desktop will work, but I understood the paid allowed web videos to be put back on TiVo dvr. Not sure free will do it or not based upon my linking inability mentioned earlier.

If the free TiVo desktop does not work, can you direct me on how to use pytivo?
Access them through Desktop on the PC?

Or access them from a TiVo?

Old 09-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Have you looked at the pytivo wiki?

http://pytivo.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/PyTivo

Suggestions:
Don't initially try to install it as a service.
Don't install it in your program files or program files (x86) folder system.

Also, for better help state what operating system you're running.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Stormydog

video pc to tivo

I am using a Windows 7 Professional on a Netbook.

I was downloading to my pc the .TiVo with Tivo Desktop and then using DirectShowDump to convert to .mpg for later copying to dvd.

But now wanted to see if I could copy .mpg from my pc back to the Tivo DVR. Using the free Tivo Desktop I was trying to get the recordings to show up in the TiVo desktop, which should cause them to appear on my Tivo DVR, or so I thought. And was told Plus was not enabled so I could not link the pc directory.

As far as Pytivo, the WIKI site is where I got into on how to install. But have not discovered anything about how to actually use, unless I am overlooking something.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
caddyroger

I use pytivo to send mp's to Tivo elite. I using the wmcbrine 2009 fork. I have tried using the pytion 2.7 version but I found out that I does not work with 2.7. I use the 2.6.3 version. I do not know any thing about the new release of pytivo. I do not under stand the tech stuff of installing pytiov.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #10
Stormydog

video pc to tivo

I know absolutely nothing about pytivo, but have read the Wiki page and have understood enough to start to see some TiVo videos being listed in the Push section of the Pytivo home page.

However in the Python command window, I saw an error when trying to pick out one show to transfer to TiVo dvr. I just checked and found all my mpg converted shows appearing in the My Shows and am trying to transfer one right now.
I think I got it.
That is major progress since I started this knowing nothing!

I don't know how to transfer TiVo shows from dvr to my pc using pytivo.

I still don't know how to get the free TiVo desktop to link and transfer files.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 AM   #11
unitron

Quote:
I am using a Windows 7 Professional on a Netbook.

I was downloading to my pc the .TiVo with Tivo Desktop and then using DirectShowDump to convert to .mpg for later copying to dvd.

But now wanted to see if I could copy .mpg from my pc back to the Tivo DVR. Using the free Tivo Desktop I was trying to get the recordings to show up in the TiVo desktop, which should cause them to appear on my Tivo DVR, or so I thought. And was told Plus was not enabled so I could not link the pc directory.

As far as Pytivo, the WIKI site is where I got into on how to install. But have not discovered anything about how to actually use, unless I am overlooking something.
If you want something on the PC to be visible to the TiVo, I'm pretty sure it has to be, or to appear to be, in the My TiVo Recordings folder on the PC.

And by "or appear to be", I'm talking about putting what Windows calls "shortcuts" in that folder to folders elsewhere--including on other devices on the network and not just other partitions or hard drives on that PC.

But if the content in any of those folders is not a .tivo file, I don't yet know how you get the TiVo to see it.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Anything that is in the My Tivo Recordings folder should be able to be seen from the Tivo, but only .tivo and .mpg files can be transferred with the free version. Any other formats may actually be able to be transferred, but they won't be converted first and will not play on the Tivo.

With any file other than .tivo, the Tivo will throw up an extra screen that gives notice about how some video formats may cause problems during transfer or playback, but I've never had a problem with .mpg files.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 09-12-2013 at 07:06 AM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
True Colors

Am I missing something here?

It sounds like the original poster recorded shows on his Tivo and then offloaded them onto his PC/DVDs. Now he wants to put these same files back onto his Tivo and watch them.

Why not just put these files into his Tivo desktop folder and simply pull them right back onto the Tivo?

Unless he converted the original files into some sort of freaky thing that the Tivo cannot recognize then this should be an easy deal. Super easy.

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Stormydog

When using the free Tivo Desktop software, it led me down this path and left me confused.

In the Tivo Desktop, I did list the PC folder for videos in the Share Music, Photos and Videos. No shows showed up but got this message that to share web videos, I had to "link to my Tivo account" using the File menu. When I selected that menu selection to link, I get message that Tivo "Plus Upgrade is not enabled". Leading me to think it can only work with the Plus upgrade.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #15
mattack

pytivo
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
When using the free Tivo Desktop software, it led me down this path and left me confused.

In the Tivo Desktop, I did list the PC folder for videos in the Share Music, Photos and Videos. No shows showed up but got this message that to share web videos, I had to "link to my Tivo account" using the File menu. When I selected that menu selection to link, I get message that Tivo "Plus Upgrade is not enabled". Leading me to think it can only work with the Plus upgrade.
When you install TiVo Desktop (the free version) it creates a folder called "My TiVo Recordings".

The default is to put it on the C: drive somewhere, but there's an option to put it elsewhere, like another partition or another drive.

That's where it puts the shows it copies and that's where a TiVo looks for shows to copy from the PC.

If, as steve64 indicates, .mpg files as well as .tivo files can be copied from PC by a TiVo, then if you converted your .tivo files to .mpg files, you should be able to put them in the My TiVo Recordings folder and have the TiVo see them.

Open Desktop, click on File, click on preferences.

It should show you where the My TiVo Recordings folder that it considers the "official" one is located.

Stick one of your .mpg files in it and see if the TiVo can see it.

Does the Now Playing list on the TiVo show the name of the computer itself down near the bottom?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
SNJpage1

I set things up so that the Tivo files are saved on my D drive. All my photos and data files and music are there. That way if the OS crashes I can reformat the C drive with out losing any of the files on the D drive. It also makes it easier for doing a back up. My D drive is a 1 tg and I have a second 1 tg drive that I use for a back up. I plug the back up drive into a spare sata port, then copy all of d drive to the back up drive. Then disconnect the back up drive and put it in a safe place.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
Stormydog

Thanks all for your input.
I do have the ability to view videos from my pc back to my Tivo now. I am doing it thru PyTivo though I barely know what I am doing, but got it to work. As far as I know, I invoke the python file pytivo.py. then I go to a home page. Is this correct?

I still get the message when trying to link TiVo files about Upgrade not enabled when using the free TiVo desktop. Are you saying the free TiVo Desktop should work also? Maybe I just need to mess around with it more. I'm kind of new to putting files from pc to TiVo. Been putting videos from TiVo to pc for some time.