TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
Rkkeller

Return to Amazon???

I am having a problem with my Roamio and 3tb HD, both ordered from Amazon.

Instead of troubleshooting, I am thinking to return both and reorder again with next day shipping, its only $7.95 as I am a Prime member.

Will TiVo know anything, if I cancel the one and add another????
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
speedy2
TivoAddict

Does the original drive work in it fine? If it does it's probably a problem with the 3TB hard drive.
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Rkkeller

I never used the original drive, I installed the 3tb right away.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
aaronwt
HD Addict

Then put the original drive back in and see if you have the same issues. If you do then something might be wrong with the hardware. If you don't have the problems then something might be wrong with the 3TB drive.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
speedy2
TivoAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
I never used the original drive, I installed the 3tb right away.
I agree with Aaronwt. Put the original drive in and see what happens. That will confirm if it's the TiVo or the drive.
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Rkkeller

Looks like I have no choice anyways as Amazon is back ordered on the Roamios.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
jmpage2

Sending back a TiVo that might be totally fine just drives up costs for others, which is why you are seeing the push back.

Installing the original drive and testing with it is something that will take you a very small amount of time... then, if it's the hard disk that's bad you can simply replace it.

If you continue to have reboot issues then you might have a bad TiVo or you might have somehow damaged it when you did the drive replacement.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
jrtroo
User

To return it you need to put the initial drive in anyhow, so may as well boot it up and see how it goes.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
Rkkeller

Thats true, I didn't think of it like that.

I have it recording on all tuners nonstop all day and I will see what happened and how many, if any, breaks in the recordings, when I get home. If no problems, I might let it go and see what happens. If problems I will switch out HD's right away.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
Millionaire2K

breaks in recordings could be a result of your connection also.
Millionaire2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
TC25D

Quote:
I am having a problem with my Roamio and 3tb HD, both ordered from Amazon.
Quote:
I have it recording on all tuners nonstop all day and I will see what happened and how many, if any, breaks in the recordings, when I get home. If no problems, I might let it go and see what happens. If problems I will switch out HD's right away.
So, what was the problem?
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #12
Rkkeller

It recorded fine for 18 hours with no problems at all on all tuners.

Then I turned on another HDTV in a different room and it rebooted, I did it again and it rebooted. I am not 100% sure yet, but it looks like my 1 in to 4 out powered HDMI splitter went bad and might be shorting out the Roamio.

I unhooked the HDMI splitter and everything overnight recorded fine. I am going to record nonstop all day again on all tuners and if no problems, I think the splitter is bad.

FWIW, I am 99.9% sure it is, I just want to make sure that was the only problem and not the HD or Roamio.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
StevesWeb
Grumpy Old Geek

Quote:
Then I turned on another HDTV in a different room and it rebooted, I did it again and it rebooted.
It might be a good idea to verify proper ground/hot/neutral wiring in the AC outlets the various equipment is using.
StevesWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

next day from Amazon? Good luck with that. I ordered yesterday, units in stock at the time and selected next day delivery. I checked back later in the day and saw that the Roamio was to be delivered next week. I cancelled the order (I'll be on vacation next week)
Old 09-06-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
next day from Amazon? Good luck with that. I ordered yesterday, units in stock at the time and selected next day delivery. I checked back later in the day and saw that the Roamio was to be delivered next week. I cancelled the order (I'll be on vacation next week)
You could have received a $10, $20, or $30 credit from amazon. Anytime they do something like that I always get a credit from them. It happens a bunch of times a year for me. Many times on items that cost less than the credit they give me. So the item is essentially free.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
jmpage2

Quote:
It recorded fine for 18 hours with no problems at all on all tuners.

Then I turned on another HDTV in a different room and it rebooted, I did it again and it rebooted. I am not 100% sure yet, but it looks like my 1 in to 4 out powered HDMI splitter went bad and might be shorting out the Roamio.

I unhooked the HDMI splitter and everything overnight recorded fine. I am going to record nonstop all day again on all tuners and if no problems, I think the splitter is bad.

FWIW, I am 99.9% sure it is, I just want to make sure that was the only problem and not the HD or Roamio.
You never mentioned your HDMI splitter before. Devices like that can always be suspect. I'm glad you figured it out and didn't unnecessarily make a return of the equipment.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #17
Rkkeller

With the splitter removed I have not had a problem at all so it looks like that is the cause.

I ordered another one, different make, and will hook that up later today and see what happens.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #18
Rkkeller

I swapped out the 1 in to 4 out HDMI splitter last night and everything is back to normal.

Not sure why, but my old one caused the Roamio to reboot when other TV's were turned on. The new splitter works fine in the same location, same plug and same cables.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #19
aaronwt
HD Addict

Throughout the last eight years of using HDMI switches, I've occasionally run into issues where certain devices would not be compatible with certain HDMI switches.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
apw2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
You could have received a $10, $20, or $30 credit from amazon. Anytime they do something like that I always get a credit from them. It happens a bunch of times a year for me. Many times on items that cost less than the credit they give me. So the item is essentially free.
Thanks for that tip. I ordered another basic on Monday. Said it was in stock and would have it the following day. Well still not shipped today and they claim it will ship tomorrow. I called amazon and asked why it had not shipped. They apologized, refunded by next day shipping and gave me a $20 credit. Not bad !
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote