TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
andrews777

A/V Breakout Cable

Anyone know anything Amazon carries that will work in this area? I have one old TV with no HDMI that I want to hook to one of my new Tivo Minis. I had just bought a Roku HD2 and it had a cable that may work, but I would prefer one with component output.

I can't find any specs on this cable and the "quick start poster" for the Mini lacks a lot of details.

Roamio, 3 Minis
andrews777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
dilbert27

Cannot seem to find it on amazon but here it is straight from Tivo.

https://tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable
dilbert27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
andrews777

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert27 View Post
Cannot seem to find it on amazon but here it is straight from Tivo.

https://tivo.com/shop/detail/av-cable
I saw that one. It has a fairly high price, but shipping is also high, especially just for that.

Roamio, 3 Minis
Old 09-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

I bought this one and it worked fine....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Digi...-/370675838597
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Scooby Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Do you know if that cable will work for the component output as well as the audio/composite outputs? Obviously the RCA connectors will be the wrong colors but will it function?
Scooby Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
andrews777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
Do you know if that cable will work for the component output as well as the audio/composite outputs? Obviously the RCA connectors will be the wrong colors but will it function?
I wouldn't think so since yellow carries the picture and the other two carry the left and right audio, but I don't know how the Tivo component cable is wired.

========

I have the cable from a RokuHD2 that looks just like the one noted on Ebay. I can't get a good picture though. I have tried pressing the button on the bottom, but that just cycles through bad pictures. Any idea how I can get the A/V output to work on my older Emerson TV?

Roamio, 3 Minis
Old 09-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
don129

I just got that Western Digital cable from eBay and it works fine with the Mini.

Thanks!
don129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
andrews777

Quote:
Originally Posted by don129 View Post
I just got that Western Digital cable from eBay and it works fine with the Mini.

Thanks!
Did you use it by itself? How did you get the video to come up? I can't get it to properly show the output with only an A/V cable.

If you are using 2 of them, what colors did you match the red, white and yellow of the second cable to? I am getting a somewhat poor quality red or blue background depending on how I plug them in.

EDIT: I am also getting a horrid buzz in the background using the AV cable. Does anyone know if anything can be done about that? Is buying a new HDTV my only option to use my Mini and replace my TivoHD?

Roamio, 3 Minis

Last edited by andrews777 : 09-04-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah I tried it on both ports. Works fine once you figure out the proper order for the connectors. (I didn't write them down sorry)
Old 09-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Scooby Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews777 View Post
I am also getting a horrid buzz in the background using the AV cable. Does anyone know if anything can be done about that? Is buying a new HDTV my only option to use my Mini and replace my TivoHD?
You are using the wrong type of cable. Each port has three outputs: one port has audioR, audioL, and composite video; the other has component video (red,green,blue). You are using a cable for a port with only two outputs and the video is mixing in with the audio. Probably best to use the breakout AV cable sold by Tivo.
Scooby Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
andrews777

Quote:
You are using the wrong type of cable. Each port has three outputs: one port has audioR, audioL, and composite video; the other has component video (red,green,blue). You are using a cable for a port with only two outputs and the video is mixing in with the audio. Probably best to use the breakout AV cable sold by Tivo.
I don't want to spend another $30 with shipping for another cable, especially when I have several of them here. I am fairly certain that A/V cables are fairly consistent at that level, though I have yet to find a component cable like they have.

I found I had a few that were the same format as what they have that I have collected over the years, but they do all produce the buzz, so something is clearly off.

It does look like even a seemingly higher quality cable I had (I think it was Apple's) produces the buzz when only the A/V inputs on the TV are used. I get a picture kind of like the old cable boxes where you could tell you were just outside the range, but it would never sync in.

Roamio, 3 Minis
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Most of these types of cables are designed for Apple products, which use a pin layout that is compatible with both A/V cables and standard audio cables. These have the ground in a different place then the TiVo cable. You're likely hearing the buzz because one of the two channels is touching the ground instead of the proper pin for the audio.

The one I linked to above is <$5 with free shipping and works fine.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
brbrem

This is the one i used. Works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._prd_ttl_sol_0
brbrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
2trill4925

I used my breakout cable from a Seagate FAT+
If I'm not mistaken Red=Video using Composite. Although I'm probably frying my cable/output port, I wouldn't recommend it long term. I'm not 100% sure on the order, and even less if you're running stereo audio (I think my kids will end up sending me to a nursing home for leaving their primary cartoon viewing to be done on an 80's Sony Trinitron).
2trill4925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
Dan203
Super Moderator

Component cables are the same as composite cables, they're just colored different, so you're not frying anything. As for having the order right if you get a picture then you have them right. If you mix up any two cables on a component video cable it'll either not work at all or the color will be completely off.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
aaronwt
HD Addict

I wish I had seen this thread a few weeks ago. I ordered two sets of cables from TiVo which was around $40 shipped.

I could have saved at least $25.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I wish I had seen this thread a few weeks ago. I ordered two sets of cables from TiVo which was around $40 shipped.

I could have saved at least $25.
But with TiVo your getting 4 cables 2 composite sets and two Component sets, with Amazon your only getting 2 composite sets of cables.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #18
andrews777

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
But with TiVo your getting 4 cables 2 composite sets and two Component sets, with Amazon your only getting 2 composite sets of cables.
2 sets? The Tivo page indicated 1 of each, not 2 of each.

I will note that the Amazon works great. I got that and now have resolution on my old Emerson TV. Ironically I can get more display modes with the AV only connection, but the component one looks better.

I used

Yellow -> Green
White -> Blue
Red -> Red

for using the Amazon AV cable to connect the component elements. It took some trial and error to figure that out, so hopefully this helps someone else benefits by knowing it.

This seems like another overpriced addon option from Tivo (think DVR expanders) that could have been solved by using standard items.

I do have much more cable there than I would like, but that will go back out of the way once I rearrange my setup later on.

Roamio, 3 Minis
Old 09-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #19
lessd

Quote:

aaronwt said (post #16) he purchased two sets from TiVo, each set has two types of cables in the set, composite and component, it cost him $25 more than two Amazon sets, but he got 4 cables not two.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
andrews777

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
aaronwt said (post #16) he purchased two sets from TiVo, each set has two types of cables in the set, composite and component, it cost him $25 more than two Amazon sets, but he got 4 cables not two.
I see that, but I am not sure how that is different than ordering the same quantity from Amazon. You do have to figure out the color mapping I noted, but that is the only challenge.

Of course I am assuming he is a Prime member of Amazon and has free shipping there, vs. paying for it with Tivo. Timeliness is also better with Amazon.

Roamio, 3 Minis
Old 09-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Four of the cables from Amazon have a cost of $17.88. My two sets of cables from TiVo, including shipping and tax cost me $42.27. So that would have saved me $24.39.

Although that was before Amazon started charging tax in Virginia. As of 9/1 I have to pay tax on Amazon purchases so it would cost a little more for me to order from Amazon now.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #22
moyekj

Quote:

I will note that the Amazon works great. I got that and now have resolution on my old Emerson TV. Ironically I can get more display modes with the AV only connection, but the component one looks better.

I used

Yellow -> Green
White -> Blue
Red -> Red

for using the Amazon AV cable to connect the component elements. It took some trial and error to figure that out, so hopefully this helps someone else benefits by knowing it.

This seems like another overpriced addon option from Tivo (think DVR expanders) that could have been solved by using standard items.

I do have much more cable there than I would like, but that will go back out of the way once I rearrange my setup later on.
So what about audio??
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
So what about audio??
The colors are already set up for the audio cable. Red and white for right and left audio channels.

Audio is from the connection that has the composite video output.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #24
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The colors are already set up for the audio cable. Red and white for right and left audio channels.

Audio is from the connection that has the composite video output.
Yes, but the breakout cable being used is intended for composite and so there is only 3 of them. So I'm guessing there's a 2nd breakout cable with the 2nd Mini analog output being used for audio.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #25
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Yes, but the breakout cable being used is intended for composite and so there is only 3 of them. So I'm guessing there's a 2nd breakout cable with the 2nd Mini analog output being used for audio.
There are two output ports. One provides RGB from the three RCA cables(labeled component) and the other one(labeled A/V) provides stereo audio and composite video from the three RCA cables..

Old 09-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #26
onovotny

Tivo bong only on right speaker?

I had an old Tivo breakout cable from years past that seems to work with the Mini.

The colors are a bit off as White/Yellow seem to be swapped (or at least yellow is one of the audio's, dunno if it's R or L yet ).

Anyway, I have the two audio chans hooked up to my receiver's input (it's an old one w/o HDMI). For most TV channels, I get audio out of both speakers. When I'm in the Tivo menu though and clicking around, the Tivo ding/bong only comes to the right speaker though.

Also, some shows/channels appear to only have sound in the right speaker.

Any ideas? Is this normal...?
onovotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #27
cuda74360

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbrem View Post
This is the one i used. Works fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._prd_ttl_sol_0
Did you use this for the component or composite output? Did the colors match up?
cuda74360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #28
brbrem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuda74360 View Post
Did you use this for the component or composite output? Did the colors match up?
A\V output only. Video to TV is via HDMI. I don't use the composit out.
brbrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:34 AM   #29
go470sailing

We used a Samsung LED TV Breakout Cable to make it work. Seemed ok.
go470sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 PM   #30
dslunceford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post

Works great, but cable is short. Was a pita to get into my av stack, so can't take back out to measure, but I guess it's around 3' long, maybe 4'?

dslunceford is offline   Reply With Quote