TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-31-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
donnoh

Does the Roamio Record Suggestions?

I apologize if this has been asked already, but I didn't see it in my search. Has Tivo fixed the Roamio where it will record suggestions when connected to a tuning adapter?
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Tico
Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Mine did before I turned it off.
Series3 OLED STA1520 TA Activated 9/21/06
Tico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
carld

My Roamio Plus has been recording suggestions steadily, the Premiere it replaced (same tuning adapter and cable card) stopped recording suggestions months ago.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
I apologize if this has been asked already, but I didn't see it in my search. Has Tivo fixed the Roamio where it will record suggestions when connected to a tuning adapter?
My Plus has been up for 24 hours now with no suggestions. I vote that Suggestions is still broken.
DaveDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Labo

I've had my plus hooked up for 2 days and it's recorded about 15 suggestions.
Labo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
DaveDFW

Okay, I have to retract what I said before. My Roamio Plus is now showing about three pages of suggestion for the next several days. Maybe this is really fixed for tuning adapter users?

None have actually recorded yet, but at least the list is being populated.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
elwaylite

Mine grabbed like 3 before I even cut it off, and that was pretty early on. So yes, its still spamming until you turn it off
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
None have actually recorded yet, but at least the list is being populated.
I am officially excited--my Roamio is now recording suggestions without me doing the tuning adapter power off procedure. Perhaps this issue from the S3 and Premiere is finally fixed.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
ahwman

I can also confirm that my Roamio Pro is recording suggestions with a tuning adapter attached - finally! I was plagued with having to keep my TA on a timer with my XL4 in order to record suggestions which was a total nightmare as sometimes the TA would not sync back up and I'd have to power cycle it again and again. Thankfully those days look to be behind us...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #10
Rose4uKY

We just got our plus yesterday and have no suggestions! I am not sure if we have a tuning adapter or not. What is this powering off the tuning adapter? We have some kind of little thing with one coaxial plugged in on one end and three things plugged in on the other is that it? I am not sure!

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.

Last edited by Rose4uKY : 09-05-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
tim1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
We just got our plus yesterday and have no suggestions!
Give it a few days. In my experience a TiVo needs a few days to do all its indexing of guide data and such before it starts recording suggestions.

Quote:
I am not sure if we have a tuning adapter or not. What is this powering off the tuning adapter? We have some kind of little thing with one coaxial plugged in on one end and three things plugged in on the other is that it? I am not sure!
A tuning adapter will be connected to your cable via coax and to your TiVo via USB. It also has a power cord. If you don't have a splitter on your coax, then there will also be a piece of coax connecting the the to the TiVo. The Tuning Adapter will probably have a Motorola, Scientific Atlanta, or Cisco logo on it.

But with the Roamio it should hopefully not matter whether you have a tuning adapter or not. So far my Roamio Pro is recording lots and lots of Suggestions for me, even with a tuning adapter. (Hooray. It's been years since I've really gotten any Suggestions on my old Series 3 TiVo!)
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
tivogurl

I transferred my SPs via kmttg, which cleared the thumbs up/down flags on the SPs. When I added a single thumbs up for each SP, as is standard for SPs, my Roamio started recording suggestions.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim1724 View Post
Give it a few days. In my experience a TiVo needs a few days to do all its indexing of guide data and such before it starts recording suggestions.
My Suggestions just started - 72 hours after installing the Roamio, and about 60 hours after configuring the CableCard.

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
donnoh

My Roamio Pro is recording suggestions like crazy. Why can't Tivo fix it for the Premieres?
Old 09-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
DaveDFW

Quote:
My Roamio Pro is recording suggestions like crazy. Why can't Tivo fix it for the Premieres?
Perhaps Tivo wants to pretend the Premiere line never existed?
Old 09-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #16
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I thought Margret implied it was fixed in the Fall update for Premiere.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:33 AM   #17
bradenmcg
Big Geek

For those with tuning adapters - is it recording suggestions on SDV channels?

I had a Series 3 with cablecard and TA several years ago. Suggestions still WORKED just fine, except they wouldn't record on SDV channels, which in my area meant most of the HD stuff. I would still get non-HD recordings of stuff from analog/non-SDV channels.

The SDV/TuningAdapter spec is pretty specific about how recordings are supposed to work, and there is a flag for "user-requested tuning" (or recording) vs. "autonomous tuning/recording" (i.e. suggestion). Cable companies have the power to block autonomous tuning requests because they undermine the main purpose of SDV.

In my area at least, SlimeWarner Cable blocked autonomous so I could never get HD suggestions other than the locals, which pretty much made suggestions pointless to me (I never watch non-HD TV).
Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradenmcg View Post
For those with tuning adapters - is it recording suggestions on SDV channels?
Yes, my Roamio Plus is recording suggestions on SDV channels while attached to a tuning adapter. I did not receive suggestions with the same setup with either an S3 or an XL4, so the Roamio appears to have fixed this problem.

Edit: I'm also on a Time-Warner cable system.

Last edited by DaveDFW : 09-12-2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: TWC info added.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
DaveDFW

Quote:
In my area at least, SlimeWarner Cable blocked autonomous so I could never get HD suggestions other than the locals, which pretty much made suggestions pointless to me...
I don't believe Time-Warner has ever had a policy of blocking speculative tunes for tuning adapter users. The problem was in Tivo's software which wouldn't populate the suggestions list while a tuning adapter was attached.

TivoMargret has stated that they believe the issue will be fixed with the Premiere's fall update. Presumably, the Roamio already has the new code since suggestions are working.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
bradenmcg
Big Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDFW View Post
Yes, my Roamio Plus is recording suggestions on SDV channels while attached to a tuning adapter. I did not receive suggestions with the same setup with either an S3 or an XL4, so the Roamio appears to have fixed this problem.

Edit: I'm also on a Time-Warner cable system.
Wow, for the longest time with the Series3 I was told that it was due to the provider blocking speculative/autonomous tunes, so either I was being fed BS by Tivo, or Tivo has now "worked around" it by ignoring the standard and marking Suggestions as user-initiated instead of autonomous...

This makes me much more likely to consider a Roamio, my favorite thing about Tivo was suggestions as it meant we always had a bunch of reruns of stuff we could put on. When we had Tivo, we almost never watched anything live, even if the TV was just on as "background noise" (which my wife does all the time), she'd put on suggestions and then if I started paying attention to the TV I could at least skip the commercials.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #21
DaveDFW

Quote:
Wow, for the longest time with the Series3 I was told that it was due to the provider blocking speculative/autonomous tunes...
It's easy to tell if your Tivo is affected by the suggestions bug by simply checking the suggestions list. If suggestions are enabled and the suggestions list is permanently empty but will populate with the tuning adapter disconnected, then your box has the Tivo software bug.

If your suggestions list is populating but the actual recordings are failing, then you might be the victim of a denied speculative tune by your provider. This type of failure will show in your recording history.

Tivo Margret has announced a planned fall update for the Premiere line for this suggestions and tuning adapter issue. I doubt we'll ever see a fix for the HD/S3 platform.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #22
tivogurl

Seems like the simple fix is to lie to the TA and tell it that all recordings are user-selected. What's the TA going to do, report you for recording "too many" shows?
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
DaveDFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
Seems like the simple fix is to lie to the TA and tell it that all recordings are user-selected. What's the TA going to do, report you for recording "too many" shows?
That would only fix the issue of denied speculative tunes, which is not what is preventing suggestions recording for the majority of users.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #24
donnoh

OP here. My Roamio Pro has been a suggestion recording machine. I have almost a hundred in about a week.

BTW I have Charter, a tuning adapter and a Motorola M card.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #25
tim1724

Quote:
OP here. My Roamio Pro has been a suggestion recording machine. I have almost a hundred in about a week.

BTW I have Charter, a tuning adapter and a Motorola M card.
Same here, my Roamio Pro records sugestions nonstop. Charter, Cisco tuning adapter, Cisco M-card.

It's nice to have suggestions again, after years of going without them on my Series 3.
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
Fsron

mine started recording after about 2 days. It failed at figuring out what I like. It recorded a bunch of stuff that will never get watched. I shut suggestions off.
Fsron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
Arcady
Stargate Fan

You need to use thumb ratings and give it a chance. It can take weeks/months before it "figures out" what you like.

People give up too easily. How does it hurt you to have it turned on?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 PM   #28
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsron View Post
mine started recording after about 2 days. It failed at figuring out what I like. It recorded a bunch of stuff that will never get watched. I shut suggestions off.
You are a complex person -- give it time. Help out by giving a to suggestions that are wrong/abysmal and to those that are right on.

michael