TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Sandlapper

First Run Only still recording reruns!

Hey y'all...

I made a YouTube video to better show off my issue. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance...

http://youtu.be/SHc_fQ_Zo7k
Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
Hey y'all...

I made a YouTube video to better show off my issue. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance...

Not one for YouTube .. what program(s) are involved? This problem is most often caused by the program data provided to TiVo from Tribune Media does not clearly identify a program as being first run or rerun. In such cases the default by TiVo is to record -- more people likely to be upset at missing a first showing as opposed to having to delete a rerun (at least so they have assumed --the number of times this is raised causes me doubts).

For years The Daily Show and Colbert Report were major offenders in this regard.

michael
Old 09-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
ggieseke

TiVos use a separate Original Air Date field in the guide data, not the one in the Description or the R flag. Press Info and scroll down to see if it's there. If the OAD field is present, it's within the last 28 days, and your TiVo hasn't already recorded that episode within the same 28 day period, it defines it as First Run.

In your case it looks like SPIKEHD is sending reasonably accurate descriptions to Tribune Media but they're probably leaving off the OAD altogether. That's actually the worst case scenario because if the old episodes all had the same generic description you could replace the Season Pass with an auto-record Wishlist that excludes that description. This is called the Tupper method after the member who thought it up.

You might be able to set up an ARWL with multiple exclusions based on the Description. Something like if "(2009)" or "(2010)" or "(2011)" etc is in the description, don't record it.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Sandlapper

Thanks guys!
Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
You might be able to set up an ARWL with multiple exclusions based on the Description. Something like if "(2009)" or "(2010)" or "(2011)" etc is in the description, don't record it.
The year is useless to a WL for anything but movies.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper View Post
Hey y'all...

Fwiw, I set up a SP for new eps only on Spike and only new eps were scheduled to record and the dozens of repeats were ignored. So the correct data does exist.