TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
sirkulation

cablecard confusion?

New Tivo subscriber preparing to set up my new Roamio - I just talked to my cable co. about cablecards, they have a regular, digital and HD card. I'd never heard of an HD card before (and of course it's $20/mo.vs. 10 for a digital). Is this just the cable co.'s way of bundling the HD fee or something more sneaky? They are dropping my charge for the HD-DVR and digital tv, so I'm saving $10/mo. even with the HD cablecard.

thx
sirkulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
mdscott

Take a look at the last two bullets in the FCC's 'CableCard - Know Your Rights guide. The implication is that pricing is set by your channel package not your card capability. [Also note that you ARE to receive a multi-stream card unless you request otherwise].
Would you be willing to tell us your cable provider? There may some forum members who have had specific experience with them.

michael
Old 09-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
sirkulation

It's SELCO, a town owned cable/electric co. in MA.

Do those rules mean any charge over a few dollars per month for the card is illegal? Will they really back down if I quote the FCC.

Their regular charge for HD is 11/mo., regular digital card 9/mo. So it's not hard to see where they get the 20/mo. for a "HD cablecard" from. My HDTV charge gets removed along with the DVR fee, replaced with an HD cablecard fee.
Is it kosher for there to be a fee for HD since the box decodes it?
Old 09-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkulation View Post
It's SELCO, a town owned cable/electric co. in MA.
Do those rules mean any charge over a few dollars per month for the card is illegal? Will they really back down if I quote the FCC.
Well yes and no - the FCC rules have an exception for small providers - i think 20K. However, I believe if they chose to provide them they are subject to the rules. The basic pricing rule is that fees must be uniformly priced throughout a cable system and that no service shall be imposed on a subscriber for support of a subscriber provided device (TiVo) that is not also imposed on a operator provided device (HD DVR from Cable Co).

Certainly shouldn't hurt to raise FCC with them. And if they claim they are not subject to rules ask that they provide you a copy of the specific basis for their claim.

good luck

michael
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
Grakthis

It almost sounds like, from what you're saying, that the $11 applies no matter what, and the $9 is for the cable card?

So if you had a DVR box, there would still be an $11 HD-TV fee?
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
sirkulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
It almost sounds like, from what you're saying, that the $11 applies no matter what, and the $9 is for the cable card?

So if you had a DVR box, there would still be an $11 HD-TV fee?
they lump it with the DVR box for 20. As a stand-alone, HD is 11.

But I'm wondering if a regular digital cablecard would do the exact same thing as the so-called HD cablecard - anybody know?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
sirkulation

I talked to the cable co., their explanation is their cablecard fee of 9/mo includes the digital TV "service", so it is not a only an equipment rental fee, but a service fee. I currently pay 14/mo for digital TV, so that comes off. The 17/mo for HD service bundled with their DVR comes opff. Add 9 for the cablecard and 11 for the HD service.

Bottom line...I save 11/mo. with tivo.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkulation View Post
I talked to the cable co., their explanation is their cablecard fee of 9/mo includes the digital TV "service", so it is not a only an equipment rental fee, but a service fee. I currently pay 14/mo for digital TV, so that comes off. The 17/mo for HD service bundled with their DVR comes opff. Add 9 for the cablecard and 11 for the HD service.

Bottom line...I save 11/mo. with tivo.
Too good to be true! Only a naive little cable system would do this -- and I'm still skeptical. I'll believe it when you verify it on your first invoice.

Next thing you'll be telling me they aren't copy protecting most of the channels.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote