TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Best Buy - Streams on Clearance

Yesterday when I went to pick up my Roamio I noticed my Best Buy was out of TiVo Streams. The tag said clearance and had them at $119. I was told they had no more streams on order and would not be getting any in.

Does anyone know if TiVo is getting rid of the Streams?

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
Yesterday when I went to pick up my Roamio I noticed my Best Buy was out of TiVo Streams. The tag said clearance and had them at $119. I was told they had no more streams on order and would not be getting any in.

Highly unlikely since the base Roamio doesn't include built-in stream, so the only way to get that functionality is with the stand-alone stream. Maybe Best Buy is going to stop stocking them in stores, but others will still sell them for the foreseeable future. Besides, at $119, they don't seem too motivated to clear inventory, Amazon has the Stream for $96
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
Highly unlikely since the base Roamio doesn't include built-in stream, so the only way to get that functionality is with the stand-alone stream. Maybe Best Buy is going to stop stocking them in stores, but others will still sell them for the foreseeable future. Besides, at $119, they don't seem too motivated to clear inventory, Amazon has the Stream for $96
Yeah, I've been watching Amazon's prices so I can price match one at BB when they get a bit lower. I was just surprised to see them being clearanced out.

Maybe a new one is in the pipes?

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
Old 09-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
SullyND
W:29-16

Quote:
Maybe a new one is in the pipes?
Wasn't there speculation than Android support may require different hardware?
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Highly unlikely since the base Roamio doesn't include built-in stream, so the only way to get that functionality is with the stand-alone stream.
...and it's a feature that's advertised on the Roamio box.

On the other hand, I have the feeling that the "Streams" in Roamio Plus/Pro units will rapidly outnumber all those ever sold as standalones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
If so then I hope that hardware is already in the Pro/Plus.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
Joe Siegler

Quote:

Amazon has been selling them for about $97 for at least a month now.

$119 off a regular price of $129 is not much of a "clearance".

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
bayern_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Amazon has been selling them for about $97 for at least a month now.

$119 off a regular price of $129 is not much of a "clearance".
Exactly, but this kind of "clearance" is aimed at people who only shop at brick & mortar stores without comparing price.

Last time I was in a Best Buy, I saw a confused-looking older couple in the Magnolia theater section about to spend over $100 on an HDMI cable and felt it was my duty to help educate them on marked-up cables. They were very grateful with such info
bayern_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullyND View Post
It was speculation based on some correspondence from TiVo support personnel that had been passed to me... The message wasn't clear and different people I've shown have come to different conclusions, so who knows. Aside from that, it wouldn't surprise me to kill the Stream. Possibly better (for TiVo) to encourage folks to step up to new hardware or lesser subsidized hardware...
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

I doubt the standalone Stream is going away. BB may be "killing" it because of lackluster sales, but I don't think it's going away completely. Also there is no way that Android support requires different hardware. It may require completely different software, but the hardware in the Stream is generic enough that it could support that software.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It may require completely different software, but the hardware in the Stream is generic enough that it could support that software.
Dunno about that... one of the selling points of a newer Zenverge chip is some specific hardware-based encryption... But hopefully it's a non-issue in this case.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezatz View Post
It was speculation based on some correspondence from TiVo support personnel that had been passed to me... The message wasn't clear and different people I've shown have come to different conclusions, so who knows. Aside from that, it wouldn't surprise me to kill the Stream. Possibly better (for TiVo) to encourage folks to step up to new hardware or lesser subsidized hardware...
If they killed the Stream though then a person with the base Roamio would have no way to get the Stream capabilties since they are not built into the base Roamio.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
tlc

Quote:
Highly unlikely since the base Roamio doesn't include built-in stream, so the only way to get that functionality is with the stand-alone stream.
So if they do stop selling streams, the only way to get that functionality would be to upgrade to a non-base Roamio. Maybe not a bad thing in their view?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
...and it's a feature that's advertised on the Roamio box.
On the base Roamio box? Without mentioning the Stream? Ha!

Plus they named it Roamio. I think people will be surprised that the base Roamio has no roaming!

This is starting to feel like some last-minute product differentiation to have more price points. Has anyone opened one to see if the base model has the streaming hardware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
On the other hand, I have the feeling that the "Streams" in Roamio Plus/Pro units will rapidly outnumber all those ever sold as standalones.
Which would not bode well for the idea of them putting any work into the Stream box.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Dunno about that... one of the selling points of a newer Zenverge chip is some specific hardware-based encryption... But hopefully it's a non-issue in this case.
The current one does encrypted HLS just fine. Not sure if the encryption is hardware or software based, but if it is software based it doesn't seem to hinder performance at all.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #15
Lars_J

My local Best Buy had the Stream's for sale at $93 today. I picked one up.

It took me a few hours to get it to talk to my Premiere (lousy setup - it talked to the TiVo box, but refused to stream or download), but once I got it to work, it is very nifty! I'm heading out on a week vacation this weekend, so I was able to download some programming on to my iPad.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #16
series5orpremier

When I saw the clearance tag at BB last week I thought of the other data point that indicates Stream hardware might be going away or getting upgraded - the first week of Roamio sales Tivo gave Streams away for free to base Roamio buyers.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #17
rick43065

Romeo & Android ??

According the the TiVo Romeo page https://www.tivo.com/shop/roamio

Only Apple devices are supported.

So the "newest" device ROMEO still can't work with 98 Million or so delivered Android Devices, nor can does it have full functionality with Amazon Prime Video.

Not impressed.
rick43065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
TC25D

TiVo had to pick one device family to support first. They picked iOS, which is running on 600 million devices. Impressed.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #19
gamo62

Before you purchase ANY unit with either the Stream built in or standalone, check with your CableCo to make sure they're NOT broadcasting in H.264. The standalone and built-in Streams CANNOT currently handle H.264. It appears to be a software issue, as the regular Premiere and Roamio models can handle H.264. Currently, it is nothing more than either a novelty (Roamio Pro/Plus), or a paperweight (Standalone Stream). I can only use the Stream on local channels that are still MPEG2.

Note: (If your CC uses a TA, then you're not on H.264.)

Last edited by gamo62 : 09-17-2013 at 02:51 AM.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's not a hardware limitation, it's a software one. Hopefully they'll fix that soon.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

I went and picked up the last stream in my local area. The shelf price was $99.99 (clearance)

Retired
Old 09-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
HenryFarpolo

It's still $129.99 at BestBuy.com today so $99.99 looks pretty good. It is $94.99 at Amazon today with only 4 left in stock.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #23
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
It's still $129.99 at BestBuy.com today so $99.99 looks pretty good. It is $94.99 at Amazon today with only 4 left in stock.
I noticed the price on BB.com. I wonder if the stores are just clearing out for updated Stream boxes with a setup guide that refers not just to Premieres, but also Roamios?

I did price match Amazon, but the prices was only $96 and some change yesterday.

Retired
Old 09-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #24
infinitespecter

I got one Friday for $99 at my local Best Buy and it was the last one in the area.
infinitespecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #25
thegardentool

Oklahoma City area has them for as low as $80.99. I picked one up earlier and going to return it tomorrow unfortunately. I like the idea but I didn't realize that Cox does Copy Once on everything but locals here so it didn't do what I needed.
thegardentool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #26
davezatz
Funkadelic

I have a feeling both Minis and Streams are being cycled out in favor of new Roamio-esque packaging (versus any sort of hardware refresh). That's just speculation, tho - no intel to speak of.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #27
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I have a feeling both Minis and Streams are being cycled out in favor of new Roamio-esque packaging (versus any sort of hardware refresh). That's just speculation, tho - no intel to speak of.
I could understand that if all the Roamios had built in Stream capabilities, but the base Roamio does not. So those people would still need a stand alone Stream box to add those capabilities.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #28
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
That makes sense. Common branding.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #29
TC25D

Quote:
My $0.02...Since the Stream simply has to sit on the network, i.e., you don't have to interact with it via a remote, therefore mine is sitting at the back of a shelf, behind some books, so what it looks like is kind of irrelevant.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #30
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC25D View Post
My $0.02...Since the Stream simply has to sit on the network, i.e., you don't have to interact with it via a remote, therefore mine is sitting at the back of a shelf, behind some books, so what it looks like is kind of irrelevant.
I wasn't referring to the hardware enclosure, I was referring to the packaging. And I'm betting both are re-released with new packaging when the larger marketing campaign goes into effect, ahead of the holidays and when out-of-home streaming is ready.