Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Babylon 5, "Day of the Dead", S05E08, OAD 3/11/98 *spoilers*

Guide page: http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/countr...guide/096.html

NOTE: As I stated before, I'm going in the airing order, which is the order the episodes are on the DVD set. The Lurker's Guide has a slightly different order, I think it's production order.

This also happens to be one of my favorite episodes in S5, possibly the entire series. This episode would not have been possible, had we not been through the first 4 years. There's a weight to this one that we haven't seen yet in S5.

"Why?" --only word Zootie has said to Rebo in 10 years.
"Because it tells me to." --what Zootie said to Sheridan.

- "Zootie! Zoot, zoot!"
- "Tonight, the dead return."
- Lennier's back!
- Lennier seems genuinely excited about the Brakiri Day of the Dead.
- Dinner with Rebo & Zootie? Zoot, zoot!
- Episode written by Neil Gaiman. Nice, but we don't see the Gaim, do we?
- The Brakiri must own part of B5 in order for the Day of the Dead to be celebrated there.
- The Captain should really listen to G'Kar. Didn't Sheridan tell her about the whole "Look in my book, I think this race has returned" thing? Shadows, hello?
- There's a Rebo & Zootie marathon. It looks like B5 has its own channels now. Smart move, after being shut out when separating from Earth.
- Corwin trying to catch his hat is funny, although it makes you wonder if he'd be caught dead doing it if Ivanova was still around.
- G'Kar knows what the Day of the Dead is all about and is sleeping in C&C as a result! Hope he doesn't snore.
- "If Vir can be Emperor, a small Earth CAT can be Emperor." Funnier when you remember how Londo commented at one time that something was like being nibbled to death by cats.
- Londo seems to know what the Day of the Dead is all about, too, but unlike G'Kar, he's embracing it. Who does he want to come back? It looks almost like the painting of Cartagia, but Londo's obviously talking to someone else who he respects.
- Ooh, Adira! Morden's lover who was killed by Morden.
- "I am to be Emperor. I am the savior of our people." I thought he learned from that experience, but apparently not. Nice Ego, Londo.
- Let's just stare at Fabiana Udenio for a while...
- Dodger!
- The dead don't seem particularly surprised to suddenly be alive again.
- Ooh. Zoe's here 2 seconds and already has a cold.
- What determines who comes back, anyway? Londo seemed to think he could summon who he wanted, but is it more that it's the dead who get to choose? That doesn't explain...
- That voice sounds familiar... d'oh!
- Ahh, Sheridan's still wandering the halls by himself, nobody to protect him.
- Re Universe Today: Why is a Narn consulate on Mars controversial?
- Morden has a new haircut in the afterlife. Why Lennier, though?
- Interesting how Morden sees what he did as "trying to make people happy."
- Morden's head is still on the pole on Centauri Prime.
- Part of the station has moved 200 million light years away, specifically, near the Brakiri homeworld.
- Morden told Lennier he will betray the Rangers. Why would Morden be the one to tell him this?
- Lochley's figured out how to communicate but needs Garibaldi's mad hacking skillz.
- TOPLESS LONDO AGAIN! AAAAUGH!
- Garibaldi made the connection in 17 minutes. He's getting better at this.
- Lennier managed to ignore Morden all night via meditation.
- Zoe had a message to Sheridan from Kosh: "When the long night comes, return to the end of the beginning." Wow, just like Inigo Montoya.
- Rebo & Zootie's humor is right up Londo's alley.

I REALLY enjoyed watching this episode again.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
This one was fun. It was a stand alone but interesting and better than the teep plotline.

Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.
BeanMeScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #3
aintnosin
[Spoiler]

I wish Dodger would come back from the dead more often.

|
|
aintnosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
"Why?" --only word Zootie has said to Rebo in 10 years.
"Because it tells me to." --what Zootie said to Sheridan.
This time through, I wonder if that's an allusion to a Keeper.

Quote:
This also happens to be one of my favorite episodes in S5, possibly the entire series. This episode would not have been possible, had we not been through the first 4 years. There's a weight to this one that we haven't seen yet in S5.
Absolutely agree. It's both heavy and light-hearted at the same time. This and "A View From The Gallery" are two of the great moments that S5 pulled off because of/in spite of everything else about S5.

This time through, though, the Rebo and Zootie parts felt flat to me. I think last time they skated on the "ooh, Penn and Teller!" factor a lot. This time, while the bit with Delenn's Minbari humor was hilarious (boy, that girl can laugh) and insightful, most of their scenes felt perfunctory and gimmicky, like they were underused.

Quote:
- Corwin trying to catch his hat is funny, although it makes you wonder if he'd be caught dead doing it if Ivanova was still around.
I think that's precisely how he'd be caught. He'd be doing it, she'd walk in and give him one of those looks, he'd be sheepish and then businesslike. I can see every bit of it.

Quote:
- G'Kar knows what the Day of the Dead is all about and is sleeping in C&C as a result! Hope he doesn't snore.
Odd place for him to pick; you'd think somewhere in the Garden, or the Sanctuary, or in guest quarters (he can afford a motel room, can't he?). But that's beside the point. G'Kar wonders what he would have seen... and boy howdy, so do I!

Quote:
- Londo seems to know what the Day of the Dead is all about, too, but unlike G'Kar, he's embracing it. Who does he want to come back? It looks almost like the painting of Cartagia, but Londo's obviously talking to someone else who he respects.
He said this explicitly: the first Emperor. That's who he'd want to speak to, and then he has a painting up and is speaking to it as if it were him, but we're being led to believe it's really him.

Quote:
- Ooh, Adira! Morden's lover who was killed by Morden.
- Let's just stare at Fabiana Udenio for a while...
Rowr. Even as a Centauri she's nice to look at.

Quote:
- Dodger!
Huzzah! So does he or doesn't he this time? (Anyone else find it hard to believe Michael knows even a single line of a single Dickinson poem from memory?)

Quote:
- Morden has a new haircut in the afterlife. Why Lennier, though?
- Morden told Lennier he will betray the Rangers. Why would Morden be the one to tell him this?
I think it's because that's who Lennier needed to see, to deal with where he is in life now, the struggle he's facing. Not that it helps him, but all in good time!

Quote:
- Interesting how Morden sees what he did as "trying to make people happy."
But that's what we were told about which Icarus crew were kept and which killed: the ones who had a particular personality that they could use were the ones they kept. The ones they could get to do what they wanted. My assumption is that Morden did what they wanted to make them happy.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
Odd place for him to pick; you'd think somewhere in the Garden, or the Sanctuary, or in guest quarters (he can afford a motel room, can't he?). But that's beside the point. G'Kar wonders what he would have seen... and boy howdy, so do I!
G'Kar was convenient not to been in his quarters. Otherwise, he would have seen his father, or the Great Prophet Zarquon, and it would have been an episode unto itself.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 01-12-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:

- Re Universe Today: Why is a Narn consulate on Mars controversial?
I guess because Mars is still newly independent.

I also love Day of the Dead.
One of the best of the non JMS scripts.
I love that Penn and Teller are Rebo and Zooty as well.
(I wonder how much of their comedy routine was them improvising?)

It was also interesting that Lochley didn't who Kosh was.

I have to admit that Morden is an odd choice for Lennier though.
Dodger, Adira, and Zoey make sense but Morden and Lennier had very little interaction previously.

It was also interesting how Talia has morphed to Lise when Garbaldi talked to Dodger.

And there's no doubt in my mind that message was from Kosh.
Who else talks like that?

"I aim to misbehave"

Last edited by JYoung : 01-12-2009 at 12:49 AM.
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
It was also interesting that Lochley didn't who Kosh was.
I'd like to think it was "interesting" but I think it's just an implausible bit of sloppy writing to allow some exposition.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
aintnosin
[Spoiler]

Quote:
I'd like to think it was "interesting" but I think it's just an implausible bit of sloppy writing to allow some exposition.
Quick, off the top of your head, give me the name of the British Ambassador to the U.S. or the U.N.

Not so implausible if you ask me.

|
|
aintnosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #9
Craigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintnosin View Post
Quick, off the top of your head, give me the name of the British Ambassador to the U.S. or the U.N.

Not so implausible if you ask me.
Not a fair comparison. None of us are replacing a ranking officer nor would we have read the files as Lochley would've. Not only that, but Kosh was the 1st Vorlon to interact with other races and it was news all across Earth Force. So yes it was a bit implausable.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
busyba
The Funcooker

And don't forget that we are all Kosh.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #11
LordXenophon
Technomage

Why sleep in C&C?

Quote:
Odd place for him to pick; you'd think somewhere in the Garden, or the Sanctuary, or in guest quarters (he can afford a motel room, can't he?).
I instantly understood why G'kar chose that exact spot. Given the geometry of the station, C&C is farthest point he could reach without an e-suit, except perhaps somewhere in Brown Sector. G'kar wanted to be as far away from the affected area as he could possibly be.

If he were not trying to stay so far away, I imagine he probably would have asked Zach to let him sleep in an unoccupied cell.
LordXenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
rhuntington3
Howdy!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Interesting way to bump an old thread.

Lady, 8/7/2007.
rhuntington3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
LordXenophon
Technomage

It was not my intent to bump the thread. I simply found an unanswered question.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #14
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordXenophon View Post
It was not my intent to bump the thread. I simply found an unanswered question.
Well sure. You do have to be careful responding to old, old threads though, because many people forget they even asked the question in the first place. I had to chuckle when the thread popped up, it seems like an eternity ago that we did the rewatch.

That said, this would be the appropriate moment to mention that JMS has been pushing people to promote getting the series back to viewers somehow: Netflix, Amazon, a network buying it for view, something... his point is that the only way to generate interest in bringing the series back in some form is to put in front of people again.

This in response to the simple mention of Babylon 5 on last week's Breaking Bad. Then this:

He took to Twitter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
Ain't never gonna be sufficient heat for any new B5 as long as the original sits on a shelf gathering dust instead of viewers. #FreeBabylon5
Then more detailed on Facebook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS
To the online backinh and forthing...some hard facts. Because Babylon 5 isn't on the air in the US anywhere, it's impossible for the show to add new viewers except one at a time, friend to friend, or if you've heard about it enough to want to shell out the money for the DVDs. Casual viewers can't stumble across it while channel surfing. (As we all know, after Trek was canceled for poor ratings, it found its audience in syndication.) So in answer to the photo below, either WB has to be convinced to release the show somewhere, or a network like Syfy or Chiller or another along those lines has to be prompted to pick it up. If not, quite honestly, and without any way to add new viewers, the show will eventually slide into obscurity. This ain't something I can do, or even directly participate in. It's up to the fans now.
All this means nothing by itself, of course, but remember that B5 fans hold onto this series with fervor, long before Firefly fans. It's fun to talk about anyway.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M

Last edited by gchance : 09-08-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
JMikeD

Quote:
I had to chuckle when the thread popped up, it seems like an eternity ago that we did the rewatch.
I just finished a re-watch of the entire series last week. I was getting bored with all the shows currently playing.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #16
LordXenophon
Technomage

I had just gotten to Day of the Dead last week. I hope to finish in a couple of weeks.