TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:57 AM   #301
sbiller

Mini is sold out directly from Amazon.com for 2 to 3 weeks. Connection Depot has a few (4) remaining units.

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCDA92000...ords=tivo+mini
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #302
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
No. I don't have a problem with your current 3-star review. I had a problem with the 1-star review complaining about the subscription fee. My Mini's have been pretty stable although I'm looking forward to DTA and hopefully configurable time-outs.
I have a problem with Tivo thinking that it's worth $150 for lifetime when the box is robbing service/shows from a real Tivo.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #303
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
I have a problem with Tivo thinking that it's worth $150 for lifetime when the box is robbing service/shows from a real Tivo.
IMO, the primary reason there's a service fee at all (instead of being bundled into a fixed price) is to keep the stock analysts happy that the number of subscriptions is not going down as folks change over to a whole house solution. The division of income between hardware price and service price is quite arbitrary for all TiVo models.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #304
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
IMO, the primary reason there's a service fee at all (instead of being bundled into a fixed price) is to keep the stock analysts happy that the number of subscriptions is not going down as folks change over to a whole house solution. The division of income between hardware price and service price is quite arbitrary for all TiVo models.
Agreed but a $250 cost without subscription would have me wondering the same thing. You're only able to watch your already recorded shows. So, it doesn't really hold any more value than a $99 Roku.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #305
jmpage2

Quote:
Agreed but a $250 cost without subscription would have me wondering the same thing. You're only able to watch your already recorded shows. So, it doesn't really hold any more value than a $99 Roku.
You can watch recorded and live cable. Which Roku and ATV cant offer. Yet.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #306
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
You can watch recorded and live cable. Which Roku and ATV cant offer. Yet.
I believe that Slingplayer is going to have an app for it on Roku. Than what?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #307
jmpage2

Quote:
I believe that Slingplayer is going to have an app for it on Roku. Than what?
Then you need a sling box ($$) plus you have a slow interface with command delay and a highly compressed picture. Plus you only have one remote user that can work at a time. Not sure why you are making that argument, it's a loser.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #308
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Did they ever implement dynamic tuner allocation or do you still have to sacrifice a tuner for live TV?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #309
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Did they ever implement dynamic tuner allocation or do you still have to sacrifice a tuner for live TV?
Implemented for Roamio. "Coming" soon for XL4.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #310
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
Then you need a sling box ($$) plus you have a slow interface with command delay and a highly compressed picture. Plus you only have one remote user that can work at a time. Not sure why you are making that argument, it's a loser.
I'm not sure why you keep making the argument that live tv and recording are some how worth spending another $150 for service. You've already paid for service on the Tivo itself.

Anyway, you said that you can't watch live tv or recording on a Roku. And while that's not currently an option... I'm sure it will be. I have a slingbox already and so there is no more cost to that (for me). It's still going to be an option even if it's not completely ideal. Roku still has a lot more to offer in terms of channels for streaming than Tivo ever has.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #311
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I hope that means for Elite too... but good news on the Roamio.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #312
jmpage2

Quote:
I'm not sure why you keep making the argument that live tv and recording are some how worth spending another $150 for service. You've already paid for service on the Tivo itself.

Anyway, you said that you can't watch live tv or recording on a Roku. And while that's not currently an option... I'm sure it will be. I have a slingbox already and so there is no more cost to that (for me). It's still going to be an option even if it's not completely ideal. Roku still has a lot more to offer in terms of channels for streaming than Tivo ever has.
I'm not going to argue that Roku isn't a superior solution for number of apps supported, etc, compared to Mini. That's a no brainer.

However your assertion that people won't pay $150 for the convenience of having live/recorded (high quality) TV in other rooms of the house does not appear to be panning out, as the Mini is selling.

Another data point. I had both a Sling catcher and a Boxee Box (with Sling app) on a TV in my work-out room. For TV viewing I replaced these with Mini and it kicks the ass out of either one. Much better picture and sound, instantaneous remote control response, etc.

Obviously it's up to each person what their entertainment dollars go towards, but for me, Mini was well worth it. I bought two, and might even buy a 3rd for the guest room once my Roamio is set up.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #313
magnus
Tivo User

Quote:
I'm not going to argue that Roku isn't a superior solution for number of apps supported, etc, compared to Mini. That's a no brainer.

However your assertion that people won't pay $150 for the convenience of having live/recorded (high quality) TV in other rooms of the house does not appear to be panning out, as the Mini is selling.

Another data point. I had both a Sling catcher and a Boxee Box (with Sling app) on a TV in my work-out room. For TV viewing I replaced these with Mini and it kicks the ass out of either one. Much better picture and sound, instantaneous remote control response, etc.

Obviously it's up to each person what their entertainment dollars go towards, but for me, Mini was well worth it. I bought two, and might even buy a 3rd for the guest room once my Roamio is set up.
I'm not saying that no one would. People drink the koolaid all the time. I just think its over priced for what it does and that they could really get Tivo into every household by pricing these guys competitively.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #314
jmpage2

With the delivery of DTA for the Mini (when used with Roamio) and Netflix, I have grudgingly bumped my popular Amazon review of the Mini up to 4 stars, and provided some pointers to TiVo (Margaret, are you listening ?) on what they could do to make this a 5 star product.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 AM   #315
Dan203
Super Moderator

They added Netflix and you can now access the SP Manager and To Do List via short cuts. That was pretty much my wish list. If they get rid of all the SD screens I think it'll be pretty much perfect.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:34 AM   #316
TimA

Quote:
Has anyone performed extensive testing of DTA with multiple Minis and a Roamio? I haven't seen any information on how well it works. Or is no news good news?
TimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #317
aaronwt
HD Addict

Someone posted in the Roamio thread that they had four Minis working with a Roamio and had live TV on five screens.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #318
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Someone posted in the Roamio thread that they had four Minis working with a Roamio and had live TV on five screens.
I am setting up a system with 5 Minis and a Roamio for a friend, should be able to run any 4 Minis and the Roamio at the same time, will let you know when I get the system installed.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #319
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I am setting up a system with 5 Minis and a Roamio for a friend, should be able to run any 4 Minis and the Roamio at the same time, will let you know when I get the system installed.
Finished my 5 Mini to single Roamio Plus setup, and I can tune to five different stations, one for each Mini, the Roamio shows what stations are being tuned by what Mini, when I am using 5 Minis I can only tune one station on the Roamio Plus. The system works great and each Mini updated itself to make Netflix available. The only problem I see is when I first go to live TV I get a blank screen, press the TiVo button and go back to Live TV and all works great, may be a problem because this system is for a friend so I have two accounts on the same network in my home, my friends MAK and my MAK. MAK= Media Access Key

So with 5 Minis working I can record one program on the Roamio and also watch another program that had been recorded, system seem very stable.