TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
mrizzo80

Time Warner Cable - 2012 National Lineup Realignment

Link is a few months old, but I had not heard about this before. Found it while researching a cable modem purchase to avoid the new TWC lease fee. Can't seem to find much else online corroborating this info.

http://stopthecap.com/2012/08/02/tim...vrbox-changes/

TWC is moving to a single/national cable lineup in 2012. Not much time left for that, so maybe it has been delayed. Glad our TiVo's will seamlessly handle the realignment.

Also a few interesting nuggets related to an IP-based infrastructure.
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
MeInDallas

They been talking about this for awhile now. Theres some other comments here about it. I just wish they (TWC) would do it already.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
mrizzo80

Looks like they are getting rid of dedicated SD/HD channel numbers.

"The new lineup no longer includes separate HD and SD channels of each network. Instead, Time Warner’s HD set-top boxes will be programmed to show the best signal available, usually HD. SD converters, meanwhile, will show only SD channels."

Wonder how this will work with TiVo customers? Albany, Rochester and Western MA TiVo owners will find out next month. This already rolled out in Syracuse - anyone from there?

http://stopthecap.com/2013/09/05/tim...ss-next-month/
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
Looks like they are getting rid of dedicated SD/HD channel numbers.

"The new lineup no longer includes separate HD and SD channels of each network. Instead, Time Warner’s HD set-top boxes will be programmed to show the best signal available, usually HD. SD converters, meanwhile, will show only SD channels."

Wonder how this will work with TiVo customers? Albany, Rochester and Western MA TiVo owners will find out next month. This already rolled out in Syracuse - anyone from there?

http://stopthecap.com/2013/09/05/tim...ss-next-month/
I am on the Syracuse lineup with TWC. The TWC head end will recognize Tivos as HD boxes and will automatically display HD on the former SD channels. I was also worried about this also but almost everything is working as advertised. The only issue I have had is that the Season Passes did not move to the new channel line up and I have had to manually update all my Season Passes. Other that that is has been fairly uneventful.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

So if you actually want to watch the SD version of a channel (so you don't have to put up with stretching/zooming/headaches on an SD show) you just can't now?
Premiere (320GB) w/ MoCA adapter
Mini

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #6
dave13077

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
So if you actually want to watch the SD version of a channel (so you don't have to put up with stretching/zooming/headaches on an SD show) you just can't now?
If you have your format set to Panel you should be fine.
dave13077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave13077 View Post
If you have your format set to Panel you should be fine.
No. If they send me a stretched 4x3 program inside a 16x9 HD signal, there is no way to fix it. Especially if they only stretch the edges, or they partially zoom it, cutting off the top and the bottom. These things permanently mangle the video, and there is no way to return it to 4x3. In these cases, I record/watch the SD version of the channel, so I can see the correct aspect ratio.
Mini

Old 09-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
HarperVision

Quote:

No. If they send me a stretched 4x3 program inside a 16x9 HD signal, there is no way to fix it. Especially if they only stretch the edges, or they partially zoom it, cutting off the top and the bottom. These things permanently mangle the video, and there is no way to return it to 4x3. In these cases, I record/watch the SD version of the channel, so I can see the correct aspect ratio.
You could set your tivo's output aspect ratio to 4:3 temporarily while watching those shows. Then your tv could take over switching of the ratios.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
You could set your tivo's output aspect ratio to 4:3 temporarily while watching those shows. Then your tv could take over switching of the ratios.
No.

You just don't get it.

The video has been altered/mangled by the broadcaster. There is no way to un-mangle it using zoom or panel or outputting it on 4x3 (which would just show a letterboxed mangled video.)

When BBC America plays Star Trek TNG and they zoom it in a little bit so that there are smaller bars on the left and right, they are cutting off content from the top and bottom of the image. There is no way to get that back.

Also, when a station asymmetrically stretches a 4x3 program so that it fills a 16x9 screen, but stretches more on the edges than in the center to try to fool you, you can't un-stretch it because then you will have the same distortions that they added to try and "fix" it.

The only thing you can fix is a symmetrically stretched 4x3 image, like they like to do on the cartoon network with shows like old Family Guy and King of the Hill. But it is still easier to just record the SD channel and not mess with it.
Mini

Old 09-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
HarperVision

Quote:

No.

You just don't get it.

The only thing you can fix is a symmetrically stretched 4x3 image, like they like to do on the cartoon network with shows like old Family Guy and King of the Hill. But it is still easier to just record the SD channel and not mess with it.
Yes , I get it. I just didn't realize all the other "fudgery" you're seeing. I was speaking to your last paragraph, which does work. It's very similar to the anamorphic technique used on film, in reverse.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote