TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #1441
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboron View Post
My TCD746320 drive went bad last week after a year or good use, I never did get around to trying to image and expand it, unfortunately. I ordered a used one from ebay fro $35 as spare parts to get a drive to copy from, and also a new 2TB from newegg.

Of course, the blank drive is here already (yea newegg), so if someone could help me find an image now I could have it ready in time for the weekend.
PM sent.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #1442
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by danschwarz View Post
Hello,

My Tivo Series 2 is on it's 4th hard drive - one just went bad, so I bought a new WD AV-GP 320GB drive to install. I already have the SATA>PATA converter.

Unfortunately my old copy of InstantCake is not seeing the new hard drive and won't let me select it for TiVO SW installation. Not sure why that is.

I'm thinking it may be simplest if I get a new image and install it using WinMFS?

Anyone have a reasonably recent image for the TCD140060? Must support LBA48.

Thanks!
Dan

I don't remember what size drive this came off of

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/140_gset.tbk

but you can try it.

If LBA48 is a problem with early S2s, the way it was for S1s, maybe you could restore, do not expand, install and let update, and then expand.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #1443
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboron View Post
My TCD746320 drive went bad last week after a year or good use, I never did get around to trying to image and expand it, unfortunately. I ordered a used one from ebay fro $35 as spare parts to get a drive to copy from, and also a new 2TB from newegg.

Of course, the blank drive is here already (yea newegg), so if someone could help me find an image now I could have it ready in time for the weekend.
You have time between now and the weekend to run the manufacturer's diagnostic software long test before putting that drive into service.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #1444
raptor696

I have finally got the dreaded S03 error on my TCD658000 after I changed my zip to my new location. I copyed to HD to a new HD and still get the S03 error while trying to load the data for the new zip. I reimaged another HD with the 658000.tbk provided with winmfs, but when it finally reboots back up in the info my Tivo service number is all 0's? and in now playing it says there is a fatal hardware error on the HD and to reboot? is there something im missing that is isn't pulling my tsn? it connects to TiVo, and pulls all the other service info and still says lifetime subscription.
raptor696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #1445
chickey

Having an interesting issue with my TCD5400-40

Few weeks ago it went to the welcome screen and constant recycle. I figured it was the hard drive so I pulled the drive, loaded a new drive with the 540 image and it came up fine. Walked through the setup process, all was good.

A few days later, welcome screen again and constant rebooting. Pulled the new drive, tested fine. Put the 540 image back on the drive and booted fine. This time I didn't do the auto expand, walked through the setup and everything was fine.

Again, within 48-72 hours, it is going to the welcome screen again and rebooting. Wondering if it is getting some sort of update from the mothership that is breaking things? How do I prevent it from continuing to break?

Just dropped the 540 image on the same drive again and it is back up but i fear within the next few days the same thing will happen..

any ideas
chickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #1446
raptor696

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor696 View Post
I have finally got the dreaded S03 error on my TCD658000 after I changed my zip to my new location. I copyed to HD to a new HD and still get the S03 error while trying to load the data for the new zip. I reimaged another HD with the 658000.tbk provided with winmfs, but when it finally reboots back up in the info my Tivo service number is all 0's? and in now playing it says there is a fatal hardware error on the HD and to reboot? is there something im missing that is isn't pulling my tsn? it connects to TiVo, and pulls all the other service info and still says lifetime subscription.
nm... 4 hrs and a clear and delete solved it.... must have missed that somewhere.
raptor696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #1447
jmbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickey View Post
Having an interesting issue with my TCD5400-40

Few weeks ago it went to the welcome screen and constant recycle. I figured it was the hard drive so I pulled the drive, loaded a new drive with the 540 image and it came up fine. Walked through the setup process, all was good.

A few days later, welcome screen again and constant rebooting. Pulled the new drive, tested fine. Put the 540 image back on the drive and booted fine. This time I didn't do the auto expand, walked through the setup and everything was fine.

Again, within 48-72 hours, it is going to the welcome screen again and rebooting. Wondering if it is getting some sort of update from the mothership that is breaking things? How do I prevent it from continuing to break?

Just dropped the 540 image on the same drive again and it is back up but i fear within the next few days the same thing will happen..

any ideas
Power supply? As it warms up after you turn it off to replace the drive perhaps some component is failing and it is not providing stable power.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #1448
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Two months ago, I had upgraded my 540 to a 1 TB and last night it failed during a transfer and went into a reboot loop. I replaced it with the original and it got an update to 9.32c.
Update: I RMA'd 2 1TB drives to WD, 1 was the 2 month old drive that was in the TCD540 and the other was a failed 1TB from the TCD652 S3 HD which lasted 2 years. Both was still under warranty with the latter expiring in a few weeks.

I just looked in the WD RMA History and they are going to send me a WD20EZRX and a WD1001FALS as replacements.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #1449
jmbach

Nice
Old 09-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #1450
aboron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.
Thanks a lot for all your work here. Is there a bitcoin wallet for dvrbars donations, instead of paypal?
aboron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #1451
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Update: I RMA'd 2 1TB drives to WD, 1 was the 2 month old drive that was in the TCD540 and the other was a failed 1TB from the TCD652 S3 HD which lasted 2 years. Both was still under warranty with the latter expiring in a few weeks.

I just looked in the WD RMA History and they are going to send me a WD20EZRX and a WD1001FALS as replacements.
The WD1001FALS is a slightly older Caviar Black (no advanced format to worry about, and I think it can be jumpered down to 1.5) and will work fine in an S2, coupled with a good JMicron or Marvell chipset based adapter, but they get pretty toasty, so you might want to rig up an extra fan in there.

Any chance you can talk them into a WD20EURS instead of the ZRX?

If not, let us know how it works, or doesn't, in that S3, as it's one of the newer models that we haven't had many reports on.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #1452
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The WD1001FALS is a slightly older Caviar Black (no advanced format to worry about, and I think it can be jumpered down to 1.5) and will work fine in an S2, coupled with a good JMicron or Marvell chipset based adapter, but they get pretty toasty, so you might want to rig up an extra fan in there.

Any chance you can talk them into a WD20EURS instead of the ZRX?

If not, let us know how it works, or doesn't, in that S3, as it's one of the newer models that we haven't had many reports on.
I may just put these into storage and may just get a roamio. In the future I may plop the 2TB into it.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #1453
Toshirick

Need help in getting a S3 image for a 2 tb drive.

Thanks Rick

S2 Lifetime

Last edited by Toshirick : 09-07-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Toshirick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #1454
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshirick View Post
Need help in getting a S3 image for a 2 tb drive.

Thanks Rick
You need to specify which S3.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #1455
Toshirick

Sorry! S3 648 2 tb drive

S2 Lifetime
Old 09-07-2013, 07:37 PM   #1456
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Sorry! S3 648 2 tb drive
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...88#post9765488

There is no 2 TB image, just the original 250GB size, but WinMFS can expand with 11.0k/m current Tivo software.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #1457
Toshirick

Thanks! Winmfs said I have extra room "do i want to expand" i said yes. How long does it take to expand?

Thanks again

S2 Lifetime
Old 09-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #1458
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Thanks! Winmfs said I have extra room "do i want to expand" i said yes. How long does it take to expand?

Thanks again
Doesn't take long to notice.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #1459
Toshirick

It is stuck trying to expand it?

S2 Lifetime
Old 09-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #1460
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Explain. It should only take seconds to expand and supersize.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 09-07-2013, 08:25 PM   #1461
Toshirick

i'm trying again.

S2 Lifetime
Old 09-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #1462
Toshirick

It worked!! Thank you very much for all your help.

Rick

S2 Lifetime
Old 09-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #1463
jmbach

Quote:
It's stuck. To expand mine (OLED S3) I said no then went to MFSAdd to expand. Just cancel what you are doing and run MFSAdd
Old 09-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #1464
Toshirick

It's working thank you for the help

S2 Lifetime
Old 09-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #1465
unitron

That appears to be a quirk of WinMFS when restoring and expanding on big drives like 2TB.

You have to restore or copy, and then when it says you have extra space, do you want to expand, tell it no, and then click on mfsadd as a separate step to actually get it to expand.

But if you do it that way, it works just fine.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #1466
blips

Does anyone have an image for a TCD240080? I just got my dad one off ebay and it is stuck on Welcome...powering up. I would like not to return it or make a claim if I can get it running for him.
blips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #1467
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by blips View Post
Does anyone have an image for a TCD240080? I just got my dad one off ebay and it is stuck on Welcome...powering up. I would like not to return it or make a claim if I can get it running for him.
What kind of hard drive would you be putting it on?

There's a chance the drive that is in there now has problems.

Since it's one of the S2 and S3 models where "capacitor plague" is a distinct possibility, it could also be a power supply problem causing your difficulties.

You need to hook the drive to a PC and run the diagnostic software from whoever made the drive (if it's a Maxtor, use the Seagate program) and run their long test.

You also need to examine the capacitors on the power supply and see if any have even the slightest hint of a top bulge (the ones underneath the heat sink overhang that are the hardest to get to are the usual suspects), and checking the outputs with a voltmeter, with and without the hard drive connected, is a good idea as well.

And always know where both ends of the power supply cord (that plugs into the wall socket and the back of the TiVo) are at all times.

If you wind up needing an image, my 240040 (or 04A, I forget which) image will work just fine on a drive as big as, or larger than, the Maxtor it came from, and you can expand to use any extra space.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #1468
blips

After several times plugging and unplugging the Tivo I finally opened it up. It was dusty so I blew out all the dust and plugged it in. It finally booted. When I received it the box had a gash in the side and the Tivo has a dent and scratch where the gash was in the box. It seems like it was dropped at some point in shipping so I thought the hard drive was cashed. Anyway it seems to be running now and I was able to make a daily call with the wireless adapter. I will pull the drive and copy it to a different 80GB I have. That way I can keep the original on the shelf. I will then set it up at my father's house. Thanks for your help.
blips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #1469
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by blips View Post
After several times plugging and unplugging the Tivo I finally opened it up. It was dusty so I blew out all the dust and plugged it in. It finally booted. When I received it the box had a gash in the side and the Tivo has a dent and scratch where the gash was in the box. It seems like it was dropped at some point in shipping so I thought the hard drive was cashed. Anyway it seems to be running now and I was able to make a daily call with the wireless adapter. I will pull the drive and copy it to a different 80GB I have. That way I can keep the original on the shelf. I will then set it up at my father's house. Thanks for your help.
Check the LBA numbers on both drives--those models tended to use Maxtors that were a trifle larger than WDs, Seagates, and others of that era for the same claimed # of GBs.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #1470
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Anyone have a software version 9.3.2c image for a series 2 TCD540040? Unitron's 9.3.2b image works just fine for me until it downloads and installs 9.3.2c, where it fails and leaves me with no OS on either the old or new Linux partitions. This isn't a bad hard drive issue either, I get the same result with multiple PATA/SATA drives that pass the long manufacturer diags.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote