TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
pwas

Remote won't stay in RF mode

The remote is paired to my Roamio and will work in RF mode for a little while after I hold the TiVo button + D but then it will switch back to IR mode and then back and forth every few seconds or minutes.

Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions?

I've tried resetting the remote and removing the batteries.
pwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
captain5

Remote

Mine was DOA out of the box. I wonder if this is going to be a recurring problem?
captain5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Anything nearby that could cause interference? 2.4GHz phone? Wifi access point? Etc...
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Rkkeller

Mine seems to do the same, switches from ir to rf every couple presses.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
ss-stingray
Sony DHG refugee

How do you know it's in rf of if mode?
ss-stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
Gary-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Anything nearby that could cause interference? 2.4GHz phone? Wifi access point? Etc...
I was having the same problem with my Roamio, every couple remote presses, no response but I'd see the yellow light on both my tivo's light up. Turned my routers wifi off and haven't had a problem in two days.
67" Samsung DLP
55" Samsung Plasma
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss-stingray View Post
How do you know it's in rf of if mode?
The LED at the top of the remote. (Red for IR).

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
pwas

Quote:
I temporarily unplugged my router, which is in a different room to see if that could be the issue and it did the same thing.

It's really frustrating. When it actually is in RF mode it works great but it still constantly goes back to IR mode.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

Are you using wifi on the TiVo itself?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwas View Post
I temporarily unplugged my router, which is in a different room to see if that could be the issue and it did the same thing.

It's really frustrating. When it actually is in RF mode it works great but it still constantly goes back to IR mode.
Maybe it is just defective? I have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz going all throughout my condo and being used from a multitude of devices. My Romaio remote still works without issues. And actually has an excellent range. Far longer than any of my slide remotes has. Although I prefer to use the slide remote over the Romaio remote. I don't need to control the Romaio from the other end of my condo.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
pwas

Quote:
Are you using wifi on the TiVo itself?
No, I'm not. I have it connected via Ethernet.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #12
lessd

Quote:
The remote is paired to my Roamio and will work in RF mode for a little while after I hold the TiVo button + D but then it will switch back to IR mode and then back and forth every few seconds or minutes.

Anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions?

I've tried resetting the remote and removing the batteries.
My remote does it own RF to IR switching when I get more then about 4 feet from the Roamio, could be my phone near the TiVo I will remove the phone when I get a chance.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
gatorbait

This looks like it is the same issue I am having.

What is the proper behavior on a functioning remote. If I am out of RF range does the remote fail to IR mode?

I am guessing it should always output RF or IR depending on how it is setup?
gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbait View Post
I am guessing it should always output RF or IR depending on how it is setup?
Remember that it will always output IR (and thus flashing red) for the non-TiVo commands (TV Power, Volume, Mute, Input).
Old 09-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Remember that it will always output IR (and thus flashing red) for the non-TiVo commands (TV Power, Volume, Mute, Input).
My Roamio remote doesn't flash red when I use the IR controls for my receiver. It still flashes amber.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
pwas

It seems stupid to me that when I manually put it into RF mode it will still use IR, even for TiVo commands. I understand that it has to do the TV commands in IR, but you would think if you tell the remote to use RF it would use RF all the time and if the RF isn't working it just wouldn't work unless you switched it back to IR.

My problem is that I switch it to RF mode and it's working fine with the amber light flashing and so I stop pointing it at the box and one second later it's not working and I look down and it's only flashing red when I press button so I have to point it at the box for it to work.

Obviously it's not that big of a deal to just put it into IR mode and point it at the box and it works fine, but I kind of have a coffee table in the way of the direct line to the box, so it's a little annoying to work around. If the RF mode actually worked like it is supposed to it would be perfect.

Also, I don't think it could be interference, because when it actually is using RF mode and I see the amber light on the remote flashing, the box recognizes every press. You would think that if there was interference I would have some RF presses that wouldn't register. I'll sit there and it will be in RF mode and without moving the remote or doing anything I'm looking down at the remote while I'm pressing buttons and I'm seeing amber, amber, amber, amber, red, red, red, red, red, red... amber, amber, red, red, red, red.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
dmaneyapanda

Hmm, I have noticed my remote go "unresponsive" for a few seconds at a time, and only recently noticed that it seemed to be switching to IR at those times for some reason. I'll keep an eye on it and see if I can find any patterns. (I do have both wifi and a phone with BT.)
dmaneyapanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
gatorbait

Quote:

Also, I don't think it could be interference, because when it actually is using RF mode and I see the amber light on the remote flashing, the box recognizes every press. You would think that if there was interference I would have some RF presses that wouldn't register. I'll sit there and it will be in RF mode and without moving the remote or doing anything I'm looking down at the remote while I'm pressing buttons and I'm seeing amber, amber, amber, amber, red, red, red, red, red, red... amber, amber, red, red, red, red.

That is exactly my experience as well.
gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
It seems stupid to me that when I manually put it into RF mode it will still use IR, even for TiVo commands. I understand that it has to do the TV commands in IR, but you would think if you tell the remote to use RF it would use RF all the time and if the RF isn't working it just wouldn't work unless you switched it back to IR.

My problem is that I switch it to RF mode and it's working fine with the amber light flashing and so I stop pointing it at the box and one second later it's not working and I look down and it's only flashing red when I press button so I have to point it at the box for it to work.

Obviously it's not that big of a deal to just put it into IR mode and point it at the box and it works fine, but I kind of have a coffee table in the way of the direct line to the box, so it's a little annoying to work around. If the RF mode actually worked like it is supposed to it would be perfect.

I've used mine in RF mode quite a bit and never had this problem. Maybe yours is defective?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
aasun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbait View Post
That is exactly my experience as well.
I'm having the same experience. I have two Roamios. Only 1 of them is having this issue. It's the same one with the TiVo in a different room (controlling it through a wall). I was just assuming that it was at the edge of the RF reception... and maybe losing it's "connection".. Maybe not?
aasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #21
Dan203
Super Moderator

You should try swapping your two remotes and see if the problem follows the remote or the TiVo.

Last edited by Dan203 : 09-06-2013 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
pwas

I was just chatting with TiVo support and the rep said it should be replaced.

I'm going to call support tomorrow and see if TiVo will send me a replacement. Does anybody know if TiVo will replace the remote even though I bought it at Best Buy. I'd rather not try to get Best Buy to replace it, especially since I bought it online and there are no Roamios in stock in my area.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #23
aaronwt
HD Addict

It is under warranty with TiVo. Don't they have a full 90 day warranty on the Roamio. So they might replace just the remote or require replacement of everything. But since you have two Roamios(or was that someone else?), to troubleshoot you should swap the remotes and see if the problem follows the remote. If it does then the remote is the issue. if it doesn't then the Roamio itself would be the problem.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #24
pwas

That was someone else that had two. I just have the one. I'm hoping they'll replace just the remote. I don't want to have to bother with replacing the whole thing after going through all the trouble of setting it up.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #25
Bramble

I ran around the house today doing some experiments, because I'm often using the remote in another room with a TV that's getting a signal from the tivo via a wireless a/v system, and I was noticing that sometimes the button presses weren't doing anything. It definitely seems that as an RF remote it works best when its pointing at the tivo. I can stand in the same room as the tivo, but point the remote away from the tivo and occasionally it will flash red and the button presses do nothing. But I also went to the farthest corner of the house, with no line of sight to the tivo. At that distance it was more prone to unresponsiveness, in fact it was harder to get it working again once it was in that state, but it always came back when I pointed it in the general direction of the tivo.

ETA: Oh, and I think its that the remote has to be pointed more towards the front of the tivo to work reliably, even if there's no line of sight. In the location I've been using it where I've been running into problems, even if I point it towards the tivo its pointed more to the side of the tivo based on the room orientation and tivo location, and I'm still having problems even when its pointed that way.

Last edited by Bramble : 09-07-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Bramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #26
aaronwt
HD Addict

That doesn't sound good if you have to point the RF remote toward the TiVo. When I was using mine I rarely pointed it toward the Roamio. And when testing the distance, I could be anywhere in my condo and it stayed in RF mode and the Roamio still received the signals from the remote anywhere in my condo. Even past a brick firewall. My Slide remotes don't have anywhere near the same range.

But while that is a crazy amount of distance to receive signals, I have no use for it. As long as the remote works in the room, that is all I need. Which is what my slide remotes will do.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #27
pwas

Just got off the phone with TiVo support they agreed it should be replaced, but they don't have any in stock in the warranty store yet, so they asked me to check back.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
Gary-B

Quote:
Just got off the phone with TiVo support they agreed it should be replaced, but they don't have any in stock in the warranty store yet, so they asked me to check back.
Was just told the same thing. I'd have to return the box and remote to get a replacement remote. Tivo Support said they are aware of the problem and a fix in the Tivo software would fix this problem with the remote.
67" Samsung DLP
55" Samsung Plasma
61 Terabytes Storage.
Popcorn Hour C-300
Gary-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #29
RSCHOON

Same situation here, I was wondering why the button press would sometime be unresponsive. Usually, if I just hit it again it will work. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.
RSCHOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #30
lessd

The RF remote does not work as it should (I don't care as I use a Harmony remote) but when I tested the remote only once could I get the remote find to work.