TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #31
Big Boy Laroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmedic View Post
I had a Comcast cable box and a TiVo Premiere. I was being charged $9.95/month additional outlet, $2.95/month for CableCARD, and $9.95/month for an HD Technology fee.

I took the Comcast cable box back, upgraded to a Roamio Pro (with 4 Minis), and called Comcast to see what changed. I'm still being charged the CableCARD fee (even though their website says the first one is free; apparently they changed this about a year ago to start charging for it). I get a $2.50/month credit for my own equipment, and the $9.95/month digital outlet fee and the $9.95/month HD Tech fee were dropped.

I haven't received my first bill yet to verify this, but this is what the account representative said would occur.
How did you get the HD Tech fee dropped? I was told that fee is for ANYONE receiving hd channels, not just if you have an hd comcast box.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #32
geekmedic
TiVo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
How did you get the HD Tech fee dropped? I was told that fee is for ANYONE receiving hd channels, not just if you have an hd comcast box.
Dunno. When I called the lady dropped both. Have a feeling it'll return when they do their audits. I haven't seen my bill yet to confirm it's been dropped.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #33
prisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
In my case, I had 3 CC's in tow TiVo's (2 in an S3 an 1 in an S4), plus two standard def boxes (the small Motorola ones), one on the S2 and one on a TV with no TiVo. It appears as though the CC's get HD regardless of the HD fee or not, and since I had no HD boxes in the house I didn't need the fee. Had it this way for 2.5 years. And at one point they did charge me the HD fee (along with the fancy HD box), then I returned it and got a regular box, and the fee went away.

I believe (could be wrong but I think not), that Comcast only charges the HD fee if you rent HD equipment from them (an HD box or DVR). Don't think it applies to CC's, but postings on forums indicate that Comcast will charge whatever they can if they think they can get away with it.
prisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #34
MScottC

One of the major issues with discussing Comcast here is that every local office has different billing practices. It's not as bad as it used to be, but there are definitely differences in billing rates and practices.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #35
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisk View Post
In my case, I had 3 CC's in tow TiVo's (2 in an S3 an 1 in an S4), plus two standard def boxes (the small Motorola ones), one on the S2 and one on a TV with no TiVo. It appears as though the CC's get HD regardless of the HD fee or not, and since I had no HD boxes in the house I didn't need the fee. Had it this way for 2.5 years. And at one point they did charge me the HD fee (along with the fancy HD box), then I returned it and got a regular box, and the fee went away.

I believe (could be wrong but I think not), that Comcast only charges the HD fee if you rent HD equipment from them (an HD box or DVR). Don't think it applies to CC's, but postings on forums indicate that Comcast will charge whatever they can if they think they can get away with it.
I have talked to Comcast extensively about this and they insist that if you have any equipment that gets HD that they have to charge you the HD charge, including with a cablecard.

I have never been able to get the HD fee removed.

//edit

OK, make a liar out of me Comcast. I just checked a more recent bill which has me down to one cable-card. There is zero charged for the cable-card and I appear to actually be getting a $2.50 per month "customer owned equipment" rebate back on my bill.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #36
prisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I have talked to Comcast extensively about this and they insist that if you have any equipment that gets HD that they have to charge you the HD charge, including with a cablecard.

I have never been able to get the HD fee removed.

//edit

OK, make a liar out of me Comcast. I just checked a more recent bill which has me down to one cable-card. There is zero charged for the cable-card and I appear to actually be getting a $2.50 per month "customer owned equipment" rebate back on my bill.
That is consistent with billing practices in my area, Chicago. Having said that, they don't always know or understand their own practices very well, or have exceptions to the published policies that are not themselves published. I have 2 TiVos that use CC's, and I get a $5.00 credit each month for "customer-owned equipment." Of course, they charge me $31 for their own crappy equipment, but that's life in the big city. Waiting till TiVo announces a Christmas sale before I call them to order my new Roamio Plus and 3 Mini's. Agent on the phone said they will usually cut a deal if ordering that much stuff.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #37
jmpage2

Well, you will be very happy I think. The Roamios+Minis pretty awesome combo.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #38
howardlee2

PRISK,

i couldn't help but chuckle at your comments re;"scamcast"! i also have a series 3 tivo with 3 other boxes and they are insistent on charging me $9.95 for each cable card in the series 3! i tried to walk both the CSR and her supervisor through the mislogic of what they do to no avail. in the past i have gone through the Northbrook village cable dpt. and eventually received a credit on my account but they never fixed the billing issue. i liked your idea of going through the il att. gen office. did you just fill out a form and mail it in or call them? and what was the process like?

thanks, HL
howardlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #39
howardlee2

i am looking at getting roamio/mini solution but want to 'settle up' with scamcast first!
Old 09-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #40
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardlee2 View Post
i am looking at getting roamio/mini solution but want to 'settle up' with scamcast first!
I think it's actually easier the other way. You drop down to one multistream cablecard, which if you don't have any other Comcast gear is the only device, and should be provided to you at no charge. All the other shenanigans just sort of evaporate.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #41
howardlee2

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I think it's actually easier the other way. You drop down to one multistream cablecard, which if you don't have any other Comcast gear is the only device, and should be provided to you at no charge. All the other shenanigans just sort of evaporate.
not sure i can get rid of all the comcast boxes as i have a slingbox attached to 1 of the boxes so my son can access our cable package (all the premium movie channels) and on demand. does the mini do comcast on demand (or roamio for that matter)?? he pays no cable tv charges this way other than high speed internet
Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #42
howardlee2

and if i do get rid of everything what can i do with my series 3 with lifetime service?
Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #43
jmpage2

Quote:
not sure i can get rid of all the comcast boxes as i have a slingbox attached to 1 of the boxes so my son can access our cable package (all the premium movie channels) and on demand. does the mini do comcast on demand (or roamio for that matter)?? he pays no cable tv charges this way other than high speed internet
You should be able to hook the slingbox up to the mini as you can get composite video breakout cables for it.

On demand through mini and Roamio for Comcast is supported in some markets.

You can sell your lifetime S3 on eBay and it will cover the cost of a mini+lifetime.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #44
howardlee2

is on demand supported in the chicago area?? damn comcast has not been kind to tivo or it's customers/stockholders over the years!
Old 09-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #45
prisk

Quote:
PRISK,

i couldn't help but chuckle at your comments re;"scamcast"! i also have a series 3 tivo with 3 other boxes and they are insistent on charging me $9.95 for each cable card in the series 3! i tried to walk both the CSR and her supervisor through the mislogic of what they do to no avail. in the past i have gone through the Northbrook village cable dpt. and eventually received a credit on my account but they never fixed the billing issue. i liked your idea of going through the il att. gen office. did you just fill out a form and mail it in or call them? and what was the process like?

thanks, HL
Howardlee:
Go to the IL Atty. General site: http://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/c...complaint.html
There is a form you fill out and mail in. I got a surprisingly fast result. Basically, they forward the complaint to Comcast, in Philadelphia, which seems to take these things seriously. The Philadelphia office called me and fixed it immediately. Be sure to include screenshots of their web site quoting the $1.15 fee. Here is the funny thing: the lady in Philadelphia who called me to fix this issue was the same one who had been unable to fix it in the past.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #46
prisk

Quote:
and if i do get rid of everything what can i do with my series 3 with lifetime service?
Sell it on ebay. Worth around $300-$350. That's what I plan to do with mine.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #47
pillpusher84

Quote:
Howardlee:
Go to the IL Atty. General site: http://illinoisattorneygeneral.gov/c...complaint.html
There is a form you fill out and mail in. I got a surprisingly fast result. Basically, they forward the complaint to Comcast, in Philadelphia, which seems to take these things seriously. The Philadelphia office called me and fixed it immediately. Be sure to include screenshots of their web site quoting the $1.15 fee. Here is the funny thing: the lady in Philadelphia who called me to fix this issue was the same one who had been unable to fix it in the past.
Sounds about right!
pillpusher84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #48
synch22

Quote:
Sell it on ebay. Worth around $300-$350. That's what I plan to do with mine.
Mine went for $250-270... Craig's.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote