TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #1021
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Just checked my local CW OTA feed and it's 1080i, but I don't know if that's national or not.
If I remember to do that later when I'm off the computer, I'll let you know. I'm in D/FW.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #1022
lpwcomp

Just checked and it is 1080i here as well.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #1023
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrink View Post
Once you install the drive and have the TiVo up and running, try doing a warm reboot (restarting the system from the menus) and a cold reboot (pull the plug, count to 10, plug it back in.)

On the TiVoHD and Premiere lines, the non-AV drives would have difficulty restarting from one of these states (cold boot, I believe, but too lazy to search to verify.) This was due to the parking feature in the drive.

If you recover from both boots normally, you should be fine, if not you'll have to pull the drive and look for instructions to run wdidle3 on the drive. It's not terribly complicated, but will take a bit of digging, downloading, etc. to be able to do it.

Once it's done, you should be all set.
Rebooted both ways and no problem whatsoever. Guess I'm good with the green hard drive. Thanks for the tips.

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #1024
PaulNEPats

Returning my 3TB WD Red drive to newegg. I've had constant audio and pixelation issues since having it installed for recordings. I didn't have this issue with the stock drive.
PaulNEPats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #1025
Davelnlr_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Is CW 720p?
The C band satellite feed is 1080i. Local stations can change it to suit their needs. Ours maintains the 1080i, and adds a 480 subchannel.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #1026
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Here is a thought.

Can the roamio (internal drive upgraded or not), use an external eSATA drive with a blank drive installed (and have the roamio initialize it)? As opposed to the official Tivo Expander (with either the original Tivo initialized or blank drive.)

I think only the expander with original (not blank) will work.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #1027
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Here is a thought.

Can the roamio (internal drive upgraded or not), use an external eSATA drive with a blank drive installed (and have the roamio initialize it)? As opposed to the official Tivo Expander (with either the original Tivo initialized or blank drive.)

I think only the expander with original (not blank) will work.
I've never seen any information to indicate that there is anything on an expander drive prior to it being attached to a DVR. After all, it is a "WD DVR Expander" , not a "TiVo Expander". The TiVo s/w is simply setup to only allow the use of specific models.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:29 AM   #1028
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I've never seen any information to indicate that there is anything on an expander drive prior to it being attached to a DVR. After all, it is a "WD DVR Expander" , not a "TiVo Expander". The TiVo s/w is simply setup to only allow the use of specific models.
I was thinking that if the roamio starts off with a blank drive, shouldn't you be able to use blank drive in an external eSATA enclosure?

~~~~~

Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 AM   #1029
Joe Siegler

To me if I can add to about 400 Hrs via an internal drive, I think that's enough, I wouldn't bother with an eSata external if i have that large of a drive inside the box.

If I really needed that much space, I could always offload some of it to my computer elsewhere in the house where I have something like 8TB of space for that kind of stuff, and there is no real limit to how much I can put there. There is on the TiVo itself.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #1030
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I was thinking that if the roamio starts off with a blank drive, shouldn't you be able to use blank drive in an external eSATA enclosure?
My point is that the drive in a never used DVR expander is a blank drive.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:41 AM   #1031
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
To me if I can add to about 400 Hrs via an internal drive, I think that's enough, I wouldn't bother with an eSata external if i have that large of a drive inside the box.

If I really needed that much space, I could always offload some of it to my computer elsewhere in the house where I have something like 8TB of space for that kind of stuff, and there is no real limit to how much I can put there. There is on the TiVo itself.
But think of the poor people who can't offload much because they have TWC.

Edit: Although I wouldn't add an external either.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #1032
Joe Siegler

Quote:
But think of the poor people who can't offload much because they have TWC.
Time Warner Cable? I actually have them. But I don't use cable TV. BECAUSE I'M POOR. What's your point in mentioning poor people? I was talking about issues unrelated to that.

I'm antenna only, and I save most everything I record after I watch it (save for sports and news). Builds up over time.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #1033
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
My point is that the drive in a never used DVR expander is a blank drive.
I never looked at my old Tivo endorsed WD Expander drive.

~~~~~

Old 09-07-2013, 12:52 AM   #1034
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Time Warner Cable? I actually have them. But I don't use cable TV. BECAUSE I'M POOR. What's your point in mentioning poor people? I was talking about issues unrelated to that.

I'm antenna only, and I save most everything I record after I watch it (save for sports and news). Builds up over time.
I was using poor as in "pitiable", not "indigent". TWC is known for marking all but local channels as "Copy Once" which means that most of their stuff cannot be offloaded.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #1035
Thom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
I compared the partition tables between a Premiere XL4 (2TB) and a Roamio with a WD20EURS this morning. They were identical in most regards, but a Roamio uses a bigger swap and a bigger /var partition. Even though the OS partitions are just 4K placeholders to flash memory on a Roamio, it was enough to shrink the final media partition by about 768MB. That may account for the difference.

It's nice to know that even a TiVo drive can be dropped into a Roamio without prior formatting. Good work!
What software are you using to examine the Roamio partition entries? I've used pdisk in the past, but I believe it doesn't work with the Roamio's 64-bit partition tables?
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 AM   #1036
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
What software are you using to examine the Roamio partition entries? I've used pdisk in the past, but I believe it doesn't work with the Roamio's 64-bit partition tables?
Just my eyes and a hex editor (HxD) to open the drive. It's still basically APM, but different enough that none of the existing tools that I know about will work.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #1037
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
In the old days we just used any hard drive we had around for TiVo upgrades. Why is this so different?

I think my hubby bought the green drive on his lunch hour. Guess ill have to see how it goes.

Btw $9 for overnight/Saturday shipping. It's gone up quite a bit.
It's probably $9 because it's Saturday delivery. Overnight on business is till $3 per item on business days.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:49 AM   #1038
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
...On the TiVoHD and Premiere lines, the non-AV drives would have difficulty restarting from one of these states (cold boot, I believe, but too lazy to search to verify.) This was due to the parking feature in the drive...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
Rebooted both ways and no problem whatsoever. Guess I'm good with the green hard drive. Thanks for the tips.
Almost positive that it was a warm reboot (form with in the menus) that caused the reboot issue.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #1039
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

I decided not to wait until I can get an order from Amazon and just pick one up locally this morning. I have my original premier drive ready to put back into its original slot and use the 2TB drive I had in the premier. As a plus there is not a single show on there that I need to keep.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #1040
Crrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulNEPats View Post
Returning my 3TB WD Red drive to newegg. I've had constant audio and pixelation issues since having it installed for recordings. I didn't have this issue with the stock drive.
Disappointing to hear.
I haven't used our Roamio Basic much yet, but so far have seen no issues with the Red drive I used.
I believe Newegg will charge a restocking fee - if so, it might be worthwhile to try to determine if there are any issues with the drive itself, and if so, do a warranty claim with Western Digital.

It was a little bit of a leap of faith to choose a Red drive over a Green one (saving $25 was the motivation for this.) So far this is the quietest hard drive I've ever owned, so I'm hoping it will work out well long term for me.

Anyway, good luck, and if you do determine the drive is faulty, I'd love to hear about it - would give me a little peace of mind
Crrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #1041
Crrink

Quote:
Since it involves a mod to the drives firmware, I'm not sure that this is possible.

The WD site says that "(wdidle3) will scan the ATA bus". Drives connected via USB will not be on the ATA bus.
Yeah, I may well be remembering incorrectly - it was a long time ago, and I've done so many drive upgrades over the years that some of them tend to blur together.
But I figured, for those who already have a dock, might as well take the 2 minutes to see if it works before you start digging into the guts of your PC.
YMMV, of course.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #1042
Crrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Almost positive that it was a warm reboot (form with in the menus) that caused the reboot issue.
You are probably correct...apologies to all if I gave the wrong information.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #1043
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I know for sure you are correct, warm reboot was the problem in the Series 3, don't know about any other TiVo models as I disable Widdle3 on all WD drives.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #1044
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Disappointing to hear.
I haven't used our Roamio Basic much yet, but so far have seen no issues with the Red drive I used.
I believe Newegg will charge a restocking fee - if so, it might be worthwhile to try to determine if there are any issues with the drive itself, and if so, do a warranty claim with Western Digital.

It was a little bit of a leap of faith to choose a Red drive over a Green one (saving $25 was the motivation for this.) So far this is the quietest hard drive I've ever owned, so I'm hoping it will work out well long term for me.

Anyway, good luck, and if you do determine the drive is faulty, I'd love to hear about it - would give me a little peace of mind
Newegg will replace the drive if it is defective, and also pay for return shipping. I think if it is within 28 or 30 days of purchase.

I recently exchanged a new Seagate 3TB drive that failed the Seagate DIagnostics. The Newegg policies state that they will cover return shipping for a defective item within the return period. But you need to contact them to get the free return shipping. It defaults to making yo pay for return shipping.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #1045
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
I decided not to wait until I can get an order from Amazon and just pick one up locally this morning. I have my original premier drive ready to put back into its original slot and use the 2TB drive I had in the premier. As a plus there is not a single show on there that I need to keep.
so far so good, everything seems to be working perfectly.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #1046
LSpera

For what it's worth I purchased a Roamio Plus today. I transplanted my 2TB drive from my Premier to the Roamio without any formatting and it worked 100%. It didn't bring over any of my shows but I did not need to format the drive or anything and it's showing as having 315+ hours of free space.
LSpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #1047
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSpera View Post
For what it's worth I purchased a Roamio Plus today. I transplanted my 2TB drive from my Premier to the Roamio without any formatting and it worked 100%. It didn't bring over any of my shows but I did not need to format the drive or anything and it's showing as having 315+ hours of free space.
Question for the group here: What do we think is happening in this case? Is the drive being entirely reformatted and loaded with the new Roamio OS? Or is the Roamio somehow able to use the Premiere OS load? I believe it must be the former.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:17 PM   #1048
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Question for the group here: What do we think is happening in this case? Is the drive being entirely reformatted and loaded with the new Roamio OS? Or is the Roamio somehow able to use the Premiere OS load? I believe it must be the former.
I expect it runs a script that blows out the partition table, does a quick format and that's it v
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #1049
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I expect it runs a script that blows out the partition table, does a quick format and that's it v
Unless it takes about 8 hours even with a SATA or USB3 connection I'm sure you're right.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #1050
Joe Siegler

From yesterday. CW here in Dallas is 1080i. And like someone else pointed, there's a 480i subchannel. Two of them, actually.

33.1 is CW
33.2 is Antenna TV
33.3 is "This TV".

I'm very much looking forward to this new HD arrangement in Roamio. In 13 years, I've never opened any of my TiVos I've had (going back to the earliest models). This changes things for me.