Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2013, 07:29 PM   #61
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Ever? Ha.
I can about say that. I'm 63, lucky to make it to 70. I don't see 4K TV taking off like HD TV did.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 PM   #62
ciucca

I said it was my last, because 6 tuners, 3TB faster menus, what can TIVO come up with that i would want to buy? 12 tuners? I'm happy with 6.
ciucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #63
aaronwt
HD Addict

I was wondering, when you use the PLSR code will that TiVo count as a qualifier to get the MSD with future boxes?

When I activated my Roamio Pro a few minutes ago the $399 MSD price showed up, but I also entered the PLSR code. SO after entering the code I had the option to check the MSD price or the price from the PLSR code which are both $399.

I checked the option for the PLSR code but if this counts as a qualifier to get MSD for future boxes I figured I would use that. Since in the future I will not have my S3 boxes on my account at some point which I know qualify for MSD.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #64
justinw

Good question I was wondering the same thing.
justinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #65
innocentfreak

Could always call and ask which boxes on your account count as the MSD qualifier. I thought it was you, but maybe it was someone else who called either on the Premiere or on the Elite and they were able to tell them which box counted.

I want to say someone said before PLSR didn't count, but nothing to back it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #66
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Could always call and ask which boxes on your account count as the MSD qualifier. I thought it was you, but maybe it was someone else who called either on the Premiere or on the Elite and they were able to tell them which box counted.

I want to say someone said before PLSR didn't count, but nothing to back it up.
I've called before in the past and got the info. I'll call to check at some point in the future but I'll wait for now. Everything is up on my account except being able to assign my Minis to my Roamio Pro. I can access my Roamio Pro from my other TiVos but I guess it takes a while before I'll be able to assign the Minis to it?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #67
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I was wondering, when you use the PLSR code will that TiVo count as a qualifier to get the MSD with future boxes?

When I activated my Roamio Pro a few minutes ago the $399 MSD price showed up, but I also entered the PLSR code. SO after entering the code I had the option to check the MSD price or the price from the PLSR code which are both $399.

I checked the option for the PLSR code but if this counts as a qualifier to get MSD for future boxes I figured I would use that. Since in the future I will not have my S3 boxes on my account at some point which I know qualify for MSD.
It counts. I bought a P4 in Jan 13 using PLSR for lifetime. I put a Roamio in my cart at TiVo.com and it shows $399 for lifetime service.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #68
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciucca View Post
I said it was my last, because 6 tuners, 3TB faster menus, what can TIVO come up with that i would want to buy? 12 tuners? I'm happy with 6.
There will always be something new to get you to upgrade... A new apps platform with support for a la cart IPTV for example would get a lot of people to upgrade in a couple of years.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:13 AM   #69
ciucca

Quote:

Yes it counts. I went to the tivo web site put a Roamio plus with lifetime in my cart and I see the $399 MSD.

Why does TIVO bust your chops and refuse to give the discount over the phone for a code that is all over the net. they should lower the lifetime to $399 and $299 for MSD
Old 08-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #70
ciucca

Quote:
There will always be something new to get you to upgrade... A new apps platform with support for a la cart IPTV for example would get a lot of people to upgrade in a couple of years.
You are probably right. For now I do not see cable going IPTV for years. Any other upgrades like providing the same functionality as a ROKU can be done in software. Even if by some miracle they get FIOS to agree to providing on-demand, this also can be done in software. I believe the broadcom chip has multiple cores, and a lot more functionality can be added and improved, on the same software platform.

Of course I cannot see TIVO writing good software for the next 1000 years. I base this on past examples.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #71
jmpage2

Quote:
You are probably right. For now I do not see cable going IPTV for years. Any other upgrades like providing the same functionality as a ROKU can be done in software. Even if by some miracle they get FIOS to agree to providing on-demand, this also can be done in software. I believe the broadcom chip has multiple cores, and a lot more functionality can be added and improved, on the same software platform.

Of course I cannot see TIVO writing good software for the next 1000 years. I base this on past examples.
Premiere had multiple cores also. The performance benefit is quite modest. The new CPU seems quite snappy, so hopefully we get a year or two of real updates out of them before they push us i to a new box.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:01 PM   #72
sirkulation

If I'm reading this right, if I buy a Roamio as a new tivo subscriber anywhere besides directly from tivo, I can use PSLR for 100 off lifetime? Can anyone confirm this?
sirkulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #73
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkulation View Post
If I'm reading this right, if I buy a Roamio as a new tivo subscriber anywhere besides directly from tivo, I can use PSLR for 100 off lifetime? Can anyone confirm this?
Correct
Old 08-31-2013, 05:27 PM   #74
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Lifetime used to be $100 less. They raised it at some point before the Elite was launched. That was the first TiVo I had paid $399 for lifetime after a $100 discount.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #75
innocentfreak

Quote:
Lifetime used to be $100 less. They raised it at some point before the Elite was launched. That was the first TiVo I had paid $399 for lifetime after a $100 discount.
Yeah they raised it when they slashed the price of the base Premiere from $299 to $99.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #76
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
And I'm happy with four...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:32 AM   #77
Loach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkulation View Post
No, PSLR won't work. But PLSR will.
Loach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #78
brianric

Quote:
I paid $249 for lifetime in 2002 for my Series 2, $199 for Premiere XL in 2010, now $399 for Roamio Pro in 2013.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #79
gigaguy

Never owned a Tivo, so if I buy a used Premiere, say; and activate it on a month to month plan, then go to Tivo and buy a new Roamio, will I get $100 off the lifetime plan for it since I have an activated used Tivo?
basically, what is the cheapest way for a newbie to get lifetime on a Roamio.
gigaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #80
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
Never owned a Tivo, so if I buy a used Premiere, say; and activate it on a month to month plan, then go to Tivo and buy a new Roamio, will I get $100 off the lifetime plan for it since I have an activated used Tivo?
AFAIK the answer is yes. You get multi-service discount if you have an existing TiVo on a monthly plan.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #81
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post
As mentioned just above your post, just enter the PLSR rebate code in when you're buying the lifetime service on tivo.com. That'll save you the same $100 off reg price.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #82
anthonymoody

Just worked for me. Got my TSN from Weaknees, went to TiVo.com and activated for $399 using PLSR.

Fwiw, I still have an old HD listed in my account, deactivated since 2010. Not sure if this had any impact on my ability to apply PLSR but in any case it worked.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #83
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
AFAIK the answer is yes. You get multi-service discount if you have an existing TiVo on a monthly plan.
Not if it is an MSD plan. My $6.95 a month plan my OTA only Premiere has is not a qualifier for the MSD.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #84
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Does that include a Mini?
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #85
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryFarpolo View Post
Does that include a Mini?
No, Mini does not count.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #86
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:

If you read the CURRENT TOS/User Agreement/MSD Rules, it is very clear, that you have to pay FULL PRICE for eligibility from the unit. However, they are apparently not enforcing it to the letter of the terms/rules (yet).

I would not be surprised if they DO start enforcing it. They leave open the possibility that they can change anything with the terms/rules, at ANY TIME, for any reason, without any wording I could find saying that a currently eligible MSD anchor box, is immune to losing that status (due to the discount from the PLSR code).

Technically, and by the letter of their law, ANY discount on lifetime service makes the unit NOT eligible.

So, all I can think/suggest, is to do as mentioned by another post, and ask them which TSNs are your eligible units, and make sure you keep at least one of them (one at FULL price being the best choice), or just pay full price, as an insurance policy. We are lucky that the code still works.

While I can only speculate on this... What if TiVo is intentionally letting this work, and granting eligibility on discounted LT units, just to encourage selling any full price LT units, so they can then start enforcing the letter of their law (which they currently are not doing)?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #87
Devx

When I called Tivo to find out a few things regarding Roamio Basic service pricing and the CSR checked my account she mentioned that I only had 1 box that qualified me for MSD pricing, the Roamio Pro. I activated lifetime on my Pro using the code. My Elite nor HD's count as they received MSD lifetime. The CSR also reminded me that my S2 would still qualify me if I allowed it to make a service call. It probably makes me sound horribly lazy but I didn't bother to hook up my S2 and used the code instead to get the MSD pricing. On my account the Pro still qualifies me for MSD pricing when/if I decide to buy another Roamio (basic).

It's possible that Tivo may enforce FULL price on lifetime service to qualify for MSD in the future but they currently do not. I didn't mention that I used the discount code but I'm fairly sure the CSR could see it since they were able to tell me the last time I called in, how long its been since they've seen the S2, the billing issue w/ my Elite, etc.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #88
Dan203
Super Moderator

FYI even though I qualified for MSD I ended up using that PLSR code instead. It was the same price and I figured it had a better chance at qualifying me for MSD down the road. It might not, but I'm not worse off if it doesn't.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 PM   #89
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
FYI even though I qualified for MSD I ended up using that PLSR code instead. It was the same price and I figured it had a better chance at qualifying me for MSD down the road. It might not, but I'm not worse off if it doesn't.
I was looking at my past billing history and apparently I used that PLSR code for both of my ELites. That would explain why I was told before that the only TiVo on my account that was not a qualifier for MSD was my $6.95 a month Premiere. So I'm glad I used that code for my Roamio PRo instead of using the MSD option.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #90
Joe Siegler

Saw this posted elsewhere tonight and in all the 13 years I've been a TiVo customer, I've never thought of this.

Bit surprised they don't offer a payment option for lifetime, but let you pay it off in pieces. I don't mean tiny pieces, they won't go for breaking it up into $10 chunks, but like 8 months of $50 each might be more doable for some people than a big block of $400 all at once.

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote