TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
astrohip
Stuart F
 
astrohip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston & Brenham TX
Posts: 7,391
The Bridge "The Beetle" 9/04/2013 S1E9

Nine episodes down, four to go. And every time the end credits roll, I find myself saying, "I didn't see that coming." A testament to the writers that they keep us on the edge of our seats, yet stay grounded in reality, while taking us in directions we don't expect.



"MILF"

"Mothers..."

"I know what it means"
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,428
They lost one whole point for the targeted-broadsiding-of-a-car, a trope that I LOATHE AND DESPISE. As usual, it was incredibly stupid in context, done purely for dramatic purposes with no regard for whether it could possibly happen.

Ahem.

Other than that, great episode of a great show!
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
"MILF"

"Mothers..."

"I know what it means"
You left out the punchline: [confused] "But I don't have children!"
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
sean67854
Why?
 
sean67854's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Wouldn't you like to know.
Posts: 3,378
Is it common, or even possible for people to cross over that much?
__________________
Sean <><
"I'm the keeper of the cheese....."

Xbox gamertag sean67854

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sean67854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Azlen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Peoria, AZ
Posts: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean67854 View Post
Is it common, or even possible for people to cross over that much?
Yes. They even have a special lane called Sentri for people who cross often and are pre-cleared.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Timbeau
Registered User
 
Timbeau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: VT
Posts: 3,170
I was hoping Alma would toss the grenade through the doorway as the guy was walking out.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-- visionary
Timbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
wprager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeau View Post
I was hoping Alma would toss the grenade through the doorway as the guy was walking out.
Exactly what I thought immediately. On more sober reflection though that was not exactly a cement walled barn -- who knows how safe it would have been to throw it. Alma ain't exactly a MLB pitcher.

And as to the earlier comments about the car crash, how did he even know where she would be (he had no way of knowing where Gus would be, who would be driving him and where, and would he really risk sitting waiting somewhere that's close enough to be able to spot them coming out? In the dark? And when you ram someone like that, how do you prevent:
1. Killing the target
2. Not killing yourself
3. Not wrecking your car so that you cannot drive away
4. Cop driving actually surviving intact (air bag and all) and firing a couple of warning shots through your liver?
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
Exactly what I thought immediately. On more sober reflection though that was not exactly a cement walled barn -- who knows how safe it would have been to throw it. Alma ain't exactly a MLB pitcher.
Then again, freezing in shock for a few seconds is probably a perfectly natural reaction. And not knowing exactly how a grenade works and how long you would have before it went off is also pretty natural (she probably doesn't watch as much TV as we do, so at least she won't know something that's wrong, but she probably also wouldn't know anything that's right).
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
And as to the earlier comments about the car crash, how did he even know where she would be (he had no way of knowing where Gus would be, who would be driving him and where, and would he really risk sitting waiting somewhere that's close enough to be able to spot them coming out? In the dark? And when you ram someone like that, how do you prevent:
1. Killing the target
2. Not killing yourself
3. Not wrecking your car so that you cannot drive away
4. Cop driving actually surviving intact (air bag and all) and firing a couple of warning shots through your liver?
As I said before, common TV trope. Hate it. With a passion. For exactly those reasons.

I saw one show or movie not too long ago that did it right...they staked out a route, set up in a position with line of sight. It was a thing of beauty.

And I still hated it, just on principle.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
cheesesteak
Meh.
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: 15 mins from Philly
Posts: 25,545
Finally got caught up with this show. I must have watched six or seven episodes this weekend.

Cesar deserves a big raise.

I think it was in the previous episode but the mustachioed cop calling Sonya the "village idiot savant" hurt MY feelings. I'm surprised it wasn't followed up with an apology once they realized that she was right.
__________________

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
wprager
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,932
No more episode threads? Watched the latest one just now (is that it for the season?)

First thing I would have done is turn off the water supply line to the whole freaking house.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 AM   #10
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy
 
Cearbhaill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Down the rabbit hole
Posts: 13,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post

I think it was in the previous episode but the mustachioed cop calling Sonya the "village idiot savant" hurt MY feelings. I'm surprised it wasn't followed up with an apology once they realized that she was right.
I think it served to illustrate that she has been made fun of for so long by so many that no one but Hank even notices any more.
I love her.
__________________
Hoop diddy do!
Cearbhaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:36 AM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
No more episode threads? Watched the latest one just now (is that it for the season?)

First thing I would have done is turn off the water supply line to the whole freaking house.
Although that
Spoiler:
would have made it almost impossible to find him, since she was tracing the sound of the running water...

__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
justen_m
Registered User
 
justen_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 6,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
No more episode threads? Watched the latest one just now (is that it for the season?)

First thing I would have done is turn off the water supply line to the whole freaking house.
I thought the same thing, but there are two more. In this last episode, I just wanted to kick his teeth in as he was grinning at 'em. Congrats show, good job making this guy seem as evil as possible.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
Bob Coxner
Registered User
 
Bob Coxner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
They lost one whole point for the targeted-broadsiding-of-a-car, a trope that I LOATHE AND DESPISE. As usual, it was incredibly stupid in context, done purely for dramatic purposes with no regard for whether it could possibly happen.

Ahem.

Other than that, great episode of a great show!
I hated the targeted car crash in Homeland and I hated it here too. In a cop drama I'll buy the super villain but not one with the superpower of precognition.

It's still a fantastic show.
__________________
Sceptre 40" X405BV-FHD3
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Bob Coxner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
whitson77
Director Level
 
whitson77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 19,230
We got sick of it after this episode. Season pass deleted.

It started off with a lot of promise for us. But man it became pretty terrible (at least for us) in a hurry.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |