TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #1
kennethdorman

Newb question

I bought a series one TIVO from a garage sale, the owner stated that it has a lifetime membership. First question, is this true and second of all, I have cable supplied through my apartment complex (I get cable channels right out of the jack with no box) and was wondering if I need a cable box in order to make it function correctly. It is currently up and running and updated with out a hitch, but when I go to change the channels, the TIVO box displays the right information but the channel never changes. It remains on channel 4. I am connected strictly through RF. Please help if anyone can. Thanks for your time and effort.
kennethdorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
scole250

Did you go through the Guided Setup?
Old 09-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
kennethdorman

I went through the set up guide, but who's to say I may have missed some thing. Keep in mind, this is my first experience with a TIVO, I wanted to see if it is something I like. Any pointers? Also, this TIVO has a NIC card installed onto the mainboard, I have my broadband hooked to it. I am assuming this is not stock.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
mdscott

Guided Setup is not quite the same as "setup guide". From your answer not clear which you accomplished. Guided Setup is a 30 to 40 minute interactive process whereby the DVR will contact TiVo servers, verify status (is it truly Lifetime), and download guide data. This is also where you inform the DVR that you (in your case) are not using a cable box [Since you say you see channel 4 at least some of the channels are non-digital which is good as neither is that model TiVo]

Series 1 boxes com in two flavors Sony or Phillips. The installation guide for the Sony is here, you want the firs one. I think you have to call Phillips at Philips Technical Support at 800-260-7032 for theirs.

The Viewers Guide for either model is here. It has a section describing the whys and hows of Guided Setup.

michael
Old 09-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
kennethdorman

Solved~solved~solved

THANKS Michael, with that little bit of guidance I was able to get the unit up and running! Also, thanks to the great community!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdorman View Post
THANKS Michael, with that little bit of guidance I was able to get the unit up and running! Also, thanks to the great community!
If that's a Philips S1, you should check to see if lifetime was purchased for it on or before January 20, 2000.

If so, you have a one time only free transfer of that lifetime sub to another TiVo, including the newest ones.

You can call TiVo Customer Service or maybe also use the online support chat function. You give them the TiVo Service Number which is on the sticker on the back where the power cord plugs in, but first go to Messages and Settings (or something like that), then to System Information, and make sure the TSN on the screen matches the one on the chassis.

The one on the screen is the one that counts, because that's the one burned into the crypto chip on the motherboard, and that's the one the TiVo reports to the servers when it contacts TiVo, Inc.

It's unlikely, but not impossible, that someone transferred the motherboard to a different chassis.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote