TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

The Fall 2013 Annual which show gets cancelled first thread.

I haven't looked close enough yet so I'll come back with my answer later. But it's always fun to speculate
Old 09-06-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I'm thinking Back in the Game (ABC), or Welcome to the Family (NBC). I will give the slight edge to Back in the Game because it debuts first.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
NJ_HB
TiVo/MCE/PSP

Trophy Wife.
NJ_HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
mr.unnatural

Prime candidates:

The Goldbergs
Trophy Wife

I'll need to go back and review the descriptions on The Futon Critic as I suspect there are at least a few more that may not survive the first couple of weeks.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
lambertman
Not single!

I'm going with "We Are Men".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Trophy wife, only because I've never cared for the actress who plays her.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Question: what definition of "cancelled" is being used? No, it's not a rehash of the old "cancelled vs. not renewed" argument ("The Cleveland Show wasn't 'cancelled'; it just wasn't renewed"); I mean, if a show is put on hiatus for a planned burnoff at some later date (for example, 666 Park Avenue), does that count?

I'm going to go for a longshot - Dads. (My second choice is Back in the Game.) Now that The Cleveland Show is out of production and American Dad will be off the Fox schedule next season (it's moving new episodes to TBS), Seth MacFarlane doesn't have the pull that he used to. I wouldn't be surprised if he's trying to get Dads into the post-Super Bowl timeslot. (It's still New Girl and "one of the new shows" (possibly the premiere of Murder Police), the last I heard about it.)
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
astrohip
Stuart F

First show pulled from its normal schedule. Doesn't matter if they plan on a later burn-off, or move it to a "new" time. Once a show has been pulled from its premier slot (or regular slot), it's Dead Man Walking.

To win bonus points, you have to call it before the pilot.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #9
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Fox's "Dads" gets my vote. Looks horrible, and Seth MacFarlane got absolutely savaged at the TCAs.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

I'm thinking "Back in the Game"-I saw a commercial for it, and it looked more like a "Hallmark Hall of Fame" movie than a series-do they really think it's going to last?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
I'm thinking "Back in the Game"-I saw a commercial for it, and it looked more like a "Hallmark Hall of Fame" movie than a series-do they really think it's going to last?
My guess is, they're going to try to sell it as the next Bad News Bears (which, IIRC, lasted a season, but with a retcon from the movie - this version won its league championship game; I think the last scene was setting up something similar to the game in The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training, but at Dodger Stadium instead of the Astrodome).
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
My guess is, they're going to try to sell it as the next Bad News Bears (which, IIRC, lasted a season, but with a retcon from the movie - this version won its league championship game; I think the last scene was setting up something similar to the game in The Bad News Bears in Breaking Training, but at Dodger Stadium instead of the Astrodome).
I watched the pilot the other night and it def has a BNB vibe to it. Having seen it and Trophy Wife, I didn't think either pilot was very good, but I give a slight edge to Trophy Wife to last longer.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
Fox's "Dads" gets my vote. Looks horrible, and Seth MacFarlane got absolutely savaged at the TCAs.
Same here. Critical comments from TCA were scathing, as you indicate.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

"Dads" might last a bit longer because of the publicity-bad or good, it's publicity...

"Trophy Wife" does look terrible, but Malin Ackerman is funny and if the child actors are any good it might last for a few eps...

The retooling of "Bad News Bears" (the movie) was a bomb, and "Back in the Game" looks like one too...man, I would hate to see what the networks rejected....
Old 09-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #15
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Same here. Critical comments from TCA were scathing, as you indicate.
But that may, it least initially, get eyes on it. Some of the comments made looked like they had never seen McFarland's work. Nothing I've seen of Dads looks any worse than what he pulls on Family Guy.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
Edmund
Remote Czar

Ironside
Edmund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #17
Neenahboy
Grad stud(ent)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
But that may, it least initially, get eyes on it. Some of the comments made looked like they had never seen McFarland's work. Nothing I've seen of Dads looks any worse than what he pulls on Family Guy.
The difference being that this time, Seth Greene actually has to carry a show. Kiss of death right there.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #18
Langree
The Gimp

Just finished watching The Goldbergs, it plays like The Wonder Years, but in the 80's.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #19
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenahboy View Post
The difference being that this time, Seth Greene actually has to carry a show. Kiss of death right there.
Based on?

The only show I recall him taking lead on is Greg the Bunny, and that was years ago.

I think it will depend on the supporting cast too, and Martin Mull is no slouch, he does well with "edgy".
Old 09-07-2013, 05:06 AM   #20
getbak

Welcome to the Family for comedy. Sleepy Hollow on the drama side.

On a side note, I love these ABC promo photos. They look like they're cobbled together from a bunch of individual photos of each actor and then Photoshopped in front of the background image.

None of these people have ever met or even been in the same room together.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #21
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
None of these people have ever met or even been in the same room together.
Must have made making the shows an interesting experience...

But yeah, those pix are pretty bad...they look more like "This is what we're thinking, guys; what do you think?" than "Put out a press release!"
Old 09-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

I'm going with Sleepy Hollow. I give it two weeks, then gone.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I'm going with Sleepy Hollow. I give it two weeks, then gone.
Really? Does Fox still do that?

I've gotten the impression that lately, especially with genre shows, they've been absurdly generous in giving them a chance...
Old 09-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #24
mr.unnatural

Fox generally doesn't axe a show as quickly as ABC or NBC. Pretty much anything on those two networks will likely go first. The execs at those networks are like the panel on The Gong Show. If they don't see the numbers they expect after the first week or two you can kiss that show goodbye. It's a good thing these idiots weren't in charge when Seinfeld or M.A.S.H. first aired because neither show would have survived past the first season. New shows rarely get the chance to develop a large enough fan base to justify keeping it. A lot of shows don't really gel until the 2nd season and most people learn about them via word of mouth. The network execs essentially put out a gag order if they don't see the numbers immediately.

There's no guarantee than a show that gets pulled from the fall lineup prematurely will actually get cancelled. Revolution supposedly got cancelled during the fall season and they stopped showing the series. They aired the final episodes at the end of the winter season, which isn't that unusual. What is unusual is that it got renewed for a 2nd season after the remaining episodes were aired. Go figure.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Really? Does Fox still do that?
I think they'll do it if it is clearly a DOA, and I think that one will be. I haven't seen even a hint of a buzz from the genre audience, and I don't think it will market well to *any* audience, genre or no.

The idea of a modern day Legend of Sleepy Hollow might be an interesting movie or miniseries, but an ongoing series? I don't see it.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

But Fox has on several occasions kept a show on the air despite historically low numbers. Sometimes even giving it a second season (and yes, Terminator had a studio that was desperate to keep it on the air, but Dollhouse didn't), or third, or fourth (I'm lookin' at YOU, Fringe!).

They've gone from the BiH Network to the Showrunner's Best Friend Network. I think they'll give it a chance to catch on, even if it launches badly. And then after a while, they'll move it to Friday and renew it for another season. THEN they'll pull the plug.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #27
zuko3984

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
I think they'll do it if it is clearly a DOA, and I think that one will be. I haven't seen even a hint of a buzz from the genre audience, and I don't think it will market well to *any* audience, genre or no.

The idea of a modern day Legend of Sleepy Hollow might be an interesting movie or miniseries, but an ongoing series? I don't see it.
It had a pretty big presence at San Diego comic con and the pilot screening had a large turnout with a very enthusiastic audience reaction. While that isn't always a sure sign of a hit it is a good sign. Unlike the turnout for the panel and screening of the Tomorrow People which had a low turnout for the pilot screening and a less then great reaction from the audience.
The Sleepy Hollow pilot has also gotten mostly positive reviews from critics.
I think it is going to be a moderate success.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zuko3984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #28
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I haven't looked close enough yet so I'll come back with my answer later. But it's always fun to speculate
Any sitcom or so call "reality show" can be cancel now.

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #29
Johncv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
Ironside
A "politically correct" Ironside. agree

HDTiVo
27-inch iMac with i7 quad core processor
Johncv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #30
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johncv View Post
A "politically correct" Ironside. agree
Hmm. I could read between the lines here...

and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote