TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #451
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I work from home.
If the UPS facility isn't too far then you could have them hold the package there as well. It would at least put the delivery on your schedule instead of theirs. Creating an account is free and doesn't even require a call to redirect packages for holding instead of delivery.

Not sure about your area but UPS is exceptionally bad here, a residential delivery after 6pm is common and even after 7 is not unheard of. FedEx does a bit better.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:07 AM   #452
scottvf

Does the Roamio finally get rid of the ads on top (discovery bar)?
That's the only reason I use the SD menu on my menu on the premiere
I want HD My shows filling up the screen, not a little box on the botton left of the screen and ads on the top.
scottvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #453
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Will the classic (old) TiVo remote work with Roamios?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain5 View Post
I asked about that. It will only work after the initial setup. Then I can change to my Harmony. Great idea though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Why would it only work after setup? The IR codes for the arrows and select button are the same the whole time, including during setup.
Sorry if the question was asked before or somewhere else, can Roamio owners confirm/deny if the classic TiVo peanut Glo remote (Tivo part #C00212) works (or can be made to work in some way) with the new boxes?

Thanks

G
Old 09-05-2013, 04:08 AM   #454
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
If the UPS facility isn't too far then you could have them hold the package there as well. It would at least put the delivery on your schedule instead of theirs. Creating an account is free and doesn't even require a call to redirect packages for holding instead of delivery.

Not sure about your area but UPS is exceptionally bad here, a residential delivery after 6pm is common and even after 7 is not unheard of. FedEx does a bit better.
The UPS facility is in Sparks, NV about 40 minutes from here, each way. Plus most days they deliver around 3:00pm. I think this was an exception because it was after a holiday weekend.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #455
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvf View Post
Does the Roamio finally get rid of the ads on top (discovery bar)?
That's the only reason I use the SD menu on my menu on the premiere
I want HD My shows filling up the screen, not a little box on the botton left of the screen and ads on the top.
Nope. It's still there. But honestly you get use to it. And occasionally something will catch my eye and I actually record something it suggests. (Real ads are actually pretty rare)
Old 09-05-2013, 04:12 AM   #456
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
Sorry if the question was asked before or somewhere else, can Roamio owners confirm/deny if the classic TiVo peanut Glo remote (Tivo part #C00212) works (or can be made to work in some way) with the new boxes?

Thanks

G
Yep have one sitting on my coffee table right now. Works fine. The Roamio still has IR sensors and uses all the same remote commands. The remote it ships with just defaults to RF mode. You can even put the Roamio remote into IR mode if you want.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:53 AM   #457
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I noticed that as well, you would think at least with the Pro they would have included a backlit one similar to the one that came with the XL4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Exactly. It should have come with a Slide (or Slide 2).
Quote:
Another small nit about the Roamio... The remote feels a bit cheap. When quickly pushing buttons I can feel it creak a bit in my hand. I wont actually be using it as I use a Harmony, but for the price I think the Pro should have come with a nicer remote.
I haven't seen one yet, but at that price a backlight and solid feel should be included...
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #458
scottvf

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
That's nice. Hard drives are better now than in 1979. Green drives are made to run 24/7 and not be cold booted every day.

Seems like you've had bad luck with a TiVo drive. Anecdotal evidence is not a valid conclusion.
I'm not talking about cold booting (pay attention) I'm talking about not writing to it 24/7. there's a difference. Your in tech support look at your script.
scottvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #459
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Yes you'd want it to be non-zero because 0 is the 'universal' TiVo remote code.

A TiVo set to remote code '0' will accept commands any TiVo remote*; regardless of the code the remote is set to.
A TiVo remote set to remote code '0' can control any TiVo; regard of the code the TiVo is set to.

That can be useful as a recovery method in certain situations but it's almost certainly not the behavior you normally want. Better to set both TiVos (and their remotes) to non-zero codes so you don't have cross control issues.
---
*Any IR TiVo remote, obviously an IR only TiVo can't accept RF commands
Finally got this done. For some reason it took a while before I could confirm the IR commands with my Roamio. So now I can use my Harmony with both my Tivo HD and my Roamio. Only bad thing is that somehow during the whole process I lost all my custom mapping for my Tivo HD. No big deal I guess, I'll just have to remap. I'll need to do it for the Roamio as well. The default mapping for the 880 just doesn't cut it.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #460
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose4uKY View Post
We got our Roamio yesterday after only having the Premiere for 3 weeks which were returning. We know there's lots of better features. We went from Premiere 2TB to the Roamio Plus. The Netflix is better it's like the Netflix app on my my boyfriends Roku. Watching Netflix on the Premiere it would mess up and try to find a signal and it kept going in and out. But it sure is fast. I like how it has what to watch now and you can see all movies that are on now. The remote being RF my boyfriend likes that it's hard for me to get used to the small remote and today it took me a minute to find record.

Only thing I don't like is the Remote and my old Series 3 didn't do this neither but I have a Samsung Home theater surround system and I wish the Tivo remote would mute and do volume for it. Tivo tried helping me today but it didn't work they said I need to buy there learning remote but I dont want to do that. But so far we love the Roamio did have problems with TWC and getting it paired and they wanted to send someone out. We just took the card out of the Premiere and put it in the Roamio and then after getting them to try pairing one more time it finally worked. We like it a lot and I love having the minis. I'm sure there won't be any conflicts this fall between both of us recording shows.
The Roamio RF remote works with my Denon receiver for volume up/down and mute. It works the same as any of my other TiVo remotes.
The TiVo remotes also work with my Sony 2.1 speaker bar and my Sony 3.1 speaker bar.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #461
Joe3

Since the The Roamio is RF, can it now work with the BOSE sound systems that have always been RF?

Prior Tivo remotes could not talk to the BOSE sound systems.
Joe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #462
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post
Since the The Roamio is RF, can it now work with the BOSE sound systems that have always been RF?

I don't think there's any real standard of RF remote communications like there is with IR such that it could be as straight forward as implementing different codes. That would be nice though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #463
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post

I doubt that it works with any other RF systems as there doesn't appear to be a standard or programmable RF codes yet since so few manufacturers have gone RF. It does have an IR transmitter also, so that it can work with older TiVos, TVs, etc.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #464
Rose4uKY

Well there's something with my Samsung Home Theater in a box it doesn't work. They only list 3 codes. Tivo had me do this with my old Series 3 something where you cover up end of remote hold down buttons and hit I think it was 1999 and then you channel up every 3-5 seconds till it' mutes but mine never did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The Roamio RF remote works with my Denon receiver for volume up/down and mute. It works the same as any of my other TiVo remotes.
The TiVo remotes also work with my Sony 2.1 speaker bar and my Sony 3.1 speaker bar.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #465
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Finally got around to hooking up my Plus.

I'm coming from a S3/TiVo HD, so I'm impressed thus far.

I am having the 5th and 6th tuner problem with my CC, but I'm hoping a firmware update will fix that (whenever Cablevision decides to roll it out).

MoCA setup was pretty easy, once I set it to "Auto" for the channel selection. My PHY Tx and Rx rates are both around 240 Mbps, which I understand is pretty good.

Transferring shows from my HD (only on wifi) is painfully slow, as expected. I'm only able to get about 6 MB/s, which means it takes about an hour for a 60 minute HD show to transfer. Amazon downloads are much quicker I've noticed. A 20 minute SD download took about 5 minutes and went at 15 MB/s, which I'm not sure how is possible as I only have 20 Mbps down from CV (15 MB/s = ~120 Mbps).

I was able to transfer all but a dozen or so of my season passes using kmttg. Those dozen didn't transfer because the channels were missing from my lineup. Hoping to retry the transfer again this evening.

Speaking of the lineup, anyone know how long it takes for the guide data to update after new channels are added? I added the channels to my lineup, forced a few connections and the guide data still isn't updated. I even threw in a reboot, but no dice.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #466
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirks View Post
I was able to transfer all but a dozen or so of my season passes using kmttg. Those dozen didn't transfer because the channels were missing from my lineup. Hoping to retry the transfer again this evening.
I didn't have that problem. I was switching from OTA+cable to just cable. The season passes that were for the OTA channels somehow magically mapped automatically to the appropriate HD cable channels (which are a totally different number). I don't know how it did this (was using kmttg) but I am happy it worked!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #467
WRX09MD

Quote:
The UPS facility is in Sparks, NV about 40 minutes from here, each way. Plus most days they deliver around 3:00pm. I think this was an exception because it was after a holiday weekend.
Thats funny, my local UPS location is Sparks MD
Slide x 2
Slide Pro x 2
Verizon Fios
WRX09MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM   #468
HenryFarpolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Have they offered $99 on any of the Premieres? I have a Premiere on $6.95 a month that I use for OTA. I would love to be able switch that to lifetime for $99 when I get lifetime service on my Roamio Pro.
The best I could do is $199 for lifetime on my Premiere XL4 Elite.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #469
evanborkow

Quote:
You know what they say about Reno? It's so close to hell you can see Sparks.
evanborkow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #470
Dan203
Super Moderator

Never heard that one before.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #471
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Great news, ty
Old 09-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #472
jmpage2

Any owners feel free also to vote in the poll on your satisfaction with the new TiVo.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=508915
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #473
elwaylite

I gave it a 4, would be a 5 once the Amazon file issue is fixed.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #474
Beryl

The emergency broadcast system doesn't work right on the Roamio. Instead of the emergency screen with text, it just shows a blank blue screen with the TiVo logo in the top left right corner and the audio portion of the announcement.

It works fine on the Series 3 & 4 models.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #475
series5orpremier

When the giant ants from space invade you'll still be able to hear about it, you just won't be able to see them without looking out the window.
series5orpremier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #476
JimPa
S3 owner/user

I've got a S3 and am considering the basic Roamio but would like to find out how the picture and sound compare.

Any comments from those with experience with S3 and the basic Roamio?????
JimPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 AM   #477
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
The emergency broadcast system doesn't work right on the Roamio. Instead of the emergency screen with text, it just shows a blank blue screen with the TiVo logo in the top left right corner and the audio portion of the announcement.

It works fine on the Series 3 & 4 models.
Interesting. I wonder if TiVo know about this?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #478
markp99
TakoKichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPa View Post
I've got a S3 and am considering the basic Roamio but would like to find out how the picture and sound compare.

I have an S3, XL4 and a Roamio Plus. I cannot say there is any appreciable difference in PQ from my experience.
markp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #479
atmuscarella

Quote:

I have a Roamio, Premiere, Tivo HD, & original Series 3 all plugged into the same Denon receiver. All the TiVos are set to out put at 1080i and the Denon upscales to 1080p. If I watch the same show (set the tuners to the same station) there is no noticeable (to me) difference in picture quality or sound quality.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #480
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:

it's all digital, so there should be no difference.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote