TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
PaperQueen

Can I add Airport to remote TiVo Premiere/MoCA connection?

My set up:

Storage room
Cable line into the house > Cable modem, Time Capsule, and MoCA. This room is the heart of house wifi network.

Upstairs bedroom
Cable outlet > MoCA box > TiVo Premiere

It works for the TiVo, but...sure would like to add a second Airport to the bedroom, extending the otherwise weak wifi signal to that part of the house.

Is that possible? Where/how do I add an Airport to the bedroom setup?

Last edited by PaperQueen : 09-06-2013 at 10:29 AM.
PaperQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperQueen View Post
My set up:

Storage room
Cable line into the house > Cable modem, Time Capsule, and MoCA. This room is the heart of house wifi network.

Upstairs bedroom
Cable outlet > MoCA box > TiVo Premiere

It works for the TiVo, but...sure would like to add a second Airport to the bedroom, extending the otherwise weak wifi signal to that part of the house.

Is that possible? Where/how do I add an Airport to the bedroom setup?
MoCA Box upstairs: Has EtherNet port, yes? If so is this currently connected to Premiere?

Airport express can be added (setup to extend current network) and connected to network via the EtherNet on MoCA box. If necessary add a small (3 or port) EtherNet switch directly to box so both Airport Express and Premiere can be connected.

michael
Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
PaperQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdscott View Post
Airport express can be added (setup to extend current network) and connected to network via the EtherNet on MoCA box. If necessary add a small (3 or port) EtherNet switch directly to box so both Airport Express and Premiere can be connected.
Thanks, Michael!

So that I don't misunderstand, this is what you suggest:

• Ethernet port on the MoCA box > ethernet switch

...one switch port > TiVo
...one switch port > Airport

Basically, the switch acts like a splitter, right...? Can't believe it's so simple (she says, feeling like a dork).
Old 09-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
FrodoB

I just did this exact thing less than two weeks ago. (New house was too big for the router's Wi-Fi signal to reach, so I needed an extender.) There's a second port on an Airport Express to connect the Premiere to if you wanted to avoid the switch. Of course, that only works if the Premiere is the only thing in that area (besides the new Airport Express) that needs Ethernet. In my setup, I have a switch as well to support Blu-Ray players, etc.
FrodoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
There's a second port on an Airport Express to connect the Premiere to if you wanted to avoid the switch.
Unless the Express is as old as mine. Good to know.

michael
Old 09-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
PaperQueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoB View Post
I just did this exact thing less than two weeks ago. (New house was too big for the router's Wi-Fi signal to reach, so I needed an extender.) There's a second port on an Airport Express to connect the Premiere to if you wanted to avoid the switch. Of course, that only works if the Premiere is the only thing in that area (besides the new Airport Express) that needs Ethernet. In my setup, I have a switch as well to support Blu-Ray players, etc.
Ohmygosh...this has been here under my nose the entire time.

Just passed the internet signal (via ethernet cables) from the MoCA, through the Airport Extreme, to TiVo. Am getting full wifi in the entire east end of the house now, plus TiVo is happy.

Off to repeat the same in the living room....

THANK YOU BOTH!
Old 09-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
mdscott

Additional note which just struck me: if the Premiere is 4 tuner model - you can enable MoCa in the Network Settings screen and remove the ethernet connection. All will come through the coax. This is where MoCA really shines.

michael (who apologizes for increasing options)