TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Dasani

S2 Stuck In Reboot Loop

I've done a little searching on the forum, and can't find anything similar to what I have experienced. I apologize in advance for the long post.

I have a Series 2 Tivo, which we have been using happily for the last several years (lifetime sub). Recently, the hard drive failed completely. I replaced it with a 160gb WD hard drive, with a fresh image that I obtained on the web. I ran through all the steps to get it working correctly in the S2, and that fixed the problem, the S2 was working again.

Fast forward to about a month or so later (a few days ago), and one morning I find my S2 in a perpetual reboot sequence. It doesn't get to the stage where the light changes yellow, so I can't try any kick start codes. It just powers up for about 30 seconds, then shuts off completely and repeats.

I have another hard drive (200gb WD), so I create a TiVo drive from my downloaded image, swap out the drive and begin the start up process again. After going through the guided setup twice (having "deleted everything" after the first startup to get the serial numbers synced), I pull the drive out, and create a backup image of it.

This second drive works great, and I figure that the first drive I used was just on it's way out. When I came down the next day, the TiVo was behaving exactly the same as the morning before, locked in a boot up sequence that it can't complete.

Using the two drives (which appear to work fine), I have tried a combination of using either drive, with either the downloaded image or the image I created, and every time I get the exact same result. It works perfectly when I first install it, and yet when I check it the following morning it is back to the stuck boot up sequence.

I'm at a loss, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Dasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
mdscott

After a failed/failing HD the most common cause for S2 Rebootitis seems to be the power supply. While the actual replacement was easy (see instructions on weaknees.com) testing is a bit more difficult -- though a local electronics repair shop should be able to run diagnostics for not much $$.

michael
Old 09-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
chickey

I have a series 2 TCD540 that started doing the exact same thing within the last two weeks. I did the same process as you..

- started rebooting
- reimaged a new drive
- worked fine
- a day or two later, rebooting constantly
- reimaged again
- worked fine

i think it is getting some sort of update from the mothership that is breaking it. the power supply looks fine upon inspection. i just imaged it again and this time left the hard drive powered by an external source, wondering what that will do.

Also thinking about turning up a snoop/tcpdump to watch what it does when connecting to the internet.

I have another Series 2 Humax that is working fine.
chickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
I've done a little searching on the forum, and can't find anything similar to what I have experienced. I apologize in advance for the long post.

I have a Series 2 Tivo, which we have been using happily for the last several years (lifetime sub). Recently, the hard drive failed completely. I replaced it with a 160gb WD hard drive, with a fresh image that I obtained on the web. I ran through all the steps to get it working correctly in the S2, and that fixed the problem, the S2 was working again.

Fast forward to about a month or so later (a few days ago), and one morning I find my S2 in a perpetual reboot sequence. It doesn't get to the stage where the light changes yellow, so I can't try any kick start codes. It just powers up for about 30 seconds, then shuts off completely and repeats.

I have another hard drive (200gb WD), so I create a TiVo drive from my downloaded image, swap out the drive and begin the start up process again. After going through the guided setup twice (having "deleted everything" after the first startup to get the serial numbers synced), I pull the drive out, and create a backup image of it.

This second drive works great, and I figure that the first drive I used was just on it's way out. When I came down the next day, the TiVo was behaving exactly the same as the morning before, locked in a boot up sequence that it can't complete.

Using the two drives (which appear to work fine), I have tried a combination of using either drive, with either the downloaded image or the image I created, and every time I get the exact same result. It works perfectly when I first install it, and yet when I check it the following morning it is back to the stuck boot up sequence.

I'm at a loss, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Always suspect the power supply on S2s and S3s and eliminate that as the source of the problem first.

Which S2 model do you have?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
chickey

Well, woke up this morning and TiVo was in constant reboot.

The case was left open and the HDD connected to an external power source and something still happened over-night that caused it to start the consistent reboots.

Imaging the same drive again and will keep it off the network and see if that makes a difference.

Unitron- if it is the power supply any idea on what to look for? I've inspected all the caps and they look fine... don't see any issues with any of the other components either.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickey View Post
Well, woke up this morning and TiVo was in constant reboot.

The case was left open and the HDD connected to an external power source and something still happened over-night that caused it to start the consistent reboots.

Imaging the same drive again and will keep it off the network and see if that makes a difference.

Unitron- if it is the power supply any idea on what to look for? I've inspected all the caps and they look fine... don't see any issues with any of the other components either.
Do you own a voltmeter?

Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
chickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do you own a voltmeter?
Yea, i have access to one at the office.

I imaged it again last night and pulled the USB->Wifi adapter to rule out it getting any sort of OTA update. Just trying a process of elimination.

Last edited by chickey : 09-09-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #8
kiki213

I really hate to spend $70 on a new power supply only to find that is not the problem. Good thing I have a spare TIVO but I will miss the DVD burner.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki213 View Post
I really hate to spend $70 on a new power supply only to find that is not the problem. Good thing I have a spare TIVO but I will miss the DVD burner.
Are you saying you already spent the money on a new power supply?

What model TiVos are we talking about here?

It's quite possible that this problem is caused by the recent software update which necessitates the TiVo re-booting and switching over to the alternate boot partitions, and apparently some people are having a problem with that working as it should.

Possibly because of bad sectors where the alternate partitions are (which haven't been used for a few years now until this latest update was necessitated by the "expired cookie" problem that disabled TiVo Desktop transfers last February, or something else screwing up in the change the bootpage to change which partitions are used process.