TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #91
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Actually, it was overshadowed by the gay marriage & civil rights stuff, so you might have missed it. But the Supreme Court last session did indeed affirm Tony's right to tell everybody how to enjoy their entertainment (although the precedent is strictly speaking limited to television, so it's not yet clear if he can tell you how to enjoy movies or music).
LOL! Literally laughing out loud here. Thanks, Rob!
Also, check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
series while you are there.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #92
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Watch faster!

If you want to over analyse any episodes, Gallifrey Base has a sub forum for every episode http://gallifreybase.com/forum/register.php?do=signup
Old 09-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #93
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Part of being alive is making connections in your brain. I'm particularly good at it. I make constant connections and comparisons. It's not a conscious thing.

But we've had that discussion before. The idea of "turn your mind off" is alien to me. I can't do it. I have no idea how anybody does. There is no such thing as "just enjoy". It's impossible.
"Willing suspension of disbelief" ?

Note: "you" in the stuff below means the generic "a person" unless otherwise specified.

In my experience, the difference between surrendering to the moment vs. having your brain turned on too much comes into play most during the process of creating. If the analytical brain (what one of my instructors called "monkey head") is telling you loudly that everything you write is crap, you can't write. You have to give yourself over to the flow of the story, like a surfer catching a wave, and keep everything moving forward. Only later, once the draft is done, do you go back and with your critical head start making connections and refining everything.

But the same thing can come into play during the audience experience. For me, if the super-analytical part of my brain turns on too much, it's a sign that the performance or thing I'm watching isn't working somehow. I'm not caught up in the story, and my brain is bored, so it starts daydreaming and noticing other things, like watching the guy playing trombone taking apart his instrument and cleaning it in the middle of the symphony. Or if I notice something that has too much emphasis -- like the writer's mind seeing where the mystery writer has planted a clue that gives away the ending, it can kick me out of the story.

On the other hand, in the best experiences the "just enjoy" and the "making connections" parts of my brain run in tandem like a well-matched pair of horses pulling a carriage. I still remember reading Patricia McKillip's Riddle-Master books, and figuring out one of the key plot points about twenty pages before the protagonist does. "OMG [main character] doesn't know [X]!" -- and the dramatic tension in the next twenty pages was awesome, because I was trying desperately not to race ahead in the book to find out when he was going to find out.

As you said, though, apart from a few times here and there where I just said "screw it, I'm going to ignore that they just did [stupid thing] and try enjoy the story",

e.g. the part in one of the Indiana Jones movies where everyone
Spoiler:
drops out of the airplane -- when they hit the ground and the physics student part of my brain said "well, they're all dead now, story's over"

I have very little control over how much the analytical brain comes into play.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #94
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Just FYI: BBC America (which I realize not everyone has access to) is currently running a series of specials called "The Doctors Revisited" -- the first airing for each Doctor is generally followed by the episode which was discussed in the show.

This is great if you've already watched Doctor Who (and I do get it -- the title is "Re-visited"). For the New Whovian watching the older doctors, though, it can be a problem. For one thing, all the stuff people talks about is a spoiler for the episode about to follow, and if you are prone to over-analyzing, having all those things just discussed to look out for can really kick the analytical part of your brain into overdrive.

We just watched the episode on the Eighth Doctor, followed by the one-off TV Movie which is the only place the Eighth Doctor appeared (not counting cameos in other episodes I haven't seen yet). It was filmed in 1996 and is set close to New Year's Eve in 1999, in San Francisco. I enjoyed seeing Paul McGann at long last, but as for the story part of the episode, there was absolutely no way I was going to be able to sit back and "just enjoy it".

First of all, I'm now spoiled by the shows that are set in San Francisco that have been filmed in San Francisco. All sorts of things will set off the "oh, no it isn't!" alarm. There was the TV newscaster that was supposed to be on channel 7 (or maybe channel 5), but the station had a fake call sign (didn't exist at the time; it now belongs to a radio station in Southern California). There was the chase scene, which, as my husband pointed out, was way too flat.

Add in the fact that you have an American setting but a Brit director and a cheesy soundtrack that reminded me of the seventies, so I had to keep reminding myself that they filmed this in the nineties, and the fact that I was watching it backwards, having seen how the transition to the year 2000 was actually celebrated in the Bay Area, it was just too much weirdness.

Monkey head was in full force, wondering why the prop people hadn't bought any of the silly 2000 glasses (because they didn't exist when the episode was filmed, d'oh!) or what a Doctor Who episode set in America would be like if they had asked Quentin Tarantino to direct it (hey, he did CSI) or the Grateful Dead to do the theme song -- you get the idea. "Just enjoying" the movie wasn't going to happen.

Last edited by murgatroyd : 09-05-2013 at 11:20 PM.
murgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #95
Langree
The Gimp

Paul McGann has made no cameos on screen as of yet. They have done audio stories with him and books with his Doctor.

Things like faked call signs don't bother me because I know often that has to do with permissions and such.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #96
Ereth

Yeah, willing suspension of disbelief is a concept I'm quite familiar with.

But to get attacked here for making an off-hand reference AFTER the show is just a waste of time. Making connections and references is what geeks do.

I'm particularly disappointed because (as Jan knows) I had made a post to my Facebook page the other day about how I'd watched an episode and made an off-hand reference to the Morphail Effect (from the Dancers at the End of Time series which I love) and had a moment of joy because I realized that I was in a place where I likely wouldn't have to explain my references, and wistfully wished that happened more often.

Then here we are a day or so later and someone comes along and complains that I make such references, in my own thread no less! Sorry. It's what I like to do. It's not "showing off", it's "enjoying". That he doesn't get that means we have no common ground.
Also, check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
series while you are there.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:31 PM   #97
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Paul McGann has made no cameos on screen as of yet. They have done audio stories with him and books with his Doctor.
Oh, yes, I'm quite aware of the books, but I wasn't sure about the audio stories or any animated stuff. The site where I used to look up those things shut down a while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
Things like faked call signs don't bother me because I know often that has to do with permissions and such.
Oh, I get it, and I understand why they would want to use a low-numbered station (possible BBC in-joke there). But there aren't many TV stations in the US that start with KK, and we used to have KKHI radio here, so it was not only the wrong call sign for the station shown on screen, it felt more like a radio call sign to me.

If they had used a station number which didn't exist in the area, I could have passed it off more easily as an alternate timeline. The independent stations are far more likely to change their callsigns than the low-numbered stations, too. The combination of a real channel number and the fake call sign just bugged me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
I'm particularly disappointed because (as Jan knows) I had made a post to my Facebook page the other day about how I'd watched an episode and made an off-hand reference to the Morphail Effect (from the Dancers at the End of Time series which I love) and had a moment of joy because I realized that I was in a place where I likely wouldn't have to explain my references, and wistfully wished that happened more often.
You've just been spoiled by talking to me.

(I'm a bit disappointed that someone else beat me to telling you that Moorcook had already sucked Doctor Who into the Multiverse.)
Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #98
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroyd View Post
Oh, yes, I'm quite aware of the books, but I wasn't sure about the audio stories or any animated stuff. The site where I used to look up those things shut down a while ago.
Here ya go.

http://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/rele...tor-adventures
Old 09-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #99
Agatha Mystery

Episode 8 is a good one ("Father's Day"), and the following 2 ("The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances") are really good as well. You will find "The Aliens of London" and "World War Three" to be extremely campy. Part of that is due to the fact that the aliens aren't new ones, and as such, have old 'special effects' that are rather humorous. But once you hit Father's Day, the rest of the episodes work rather well and the show gets a firm foundation. Just have to work your way through to Father's Day, though. Tough it out until you get there.
Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #100
Lori
Social Defective

Agatha is wise.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #101
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
You will find "The Aliens of London" and "World War Three" to be extremely campy. Part of that is due to the fact that the aliens aren't new ones, and as such, have old 'special effects' that are rather humorous.
Not only that, but those two episodes were *very* juvenile, even for Doctor Who standards. If you don't mind some rather lowbrow, juvenile humor, then you won't mind those two episodes.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #102
sieglinde

I have enjoyed the Doctor Who Revisited and the sample episodes but I won't be revisiting Classic Doctor Who on Netflix. Really to corny for me. The costuming alone was a turnoff with question marks on sweaters, long scarves etc. I did like the frock coat on the 8th doctor but celery and a cricket bat (which would make a decent weapon) really? The BBCA doctors can be silly but are not dressed silly, there have been some moving episodes in the reboot.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #103
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
It would come in handy if there was a way to immediately identify the OP of a thread. I don't know if vBulletin has this feature, but I've seen it on a lot of other forums.
Just look at the thread title on the forum main page. The OP is listed there.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #104
Shakhari

I never enjoyed Father's Day ... the way they present "this is what happens when you change the past" is so different than elsewhere in the series and it always seemed silly to me. The first season never took off for me until Captain Jack showed up.
Shakhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #105
Lori
Social Defective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
I never enjoyed Father's Day ... the way they present "this is what happens when you change the past" is so different than elsewhere in the series and it always seemed silly to me. The first season never took off for me until Captain Jack showed up.

Ooh...I do love Captain Jack.

"It is not the size of our army that shall lead us to victory. It is the undeniable righteousness of our cause... "--JAB
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #106
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakhari View Post
I can't think of any other examples where someone tries to change their own timeline, do you have an example?
Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #107
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I can't think of any other examples where someone tries to change their own timeline, do you have an example?
Marty McFly in "Back to the Future"?

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #108
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Just got to Blink last night. Lived up to the hype. Great episode, once you know the show and premise. And yes, those weeping angels would gave many kids nightmares.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #109
Agatha Mystery

Shakhari, you might want to spoilerize your post for Ereth. He isn't there yet and this thread is for him, not for following along the current season.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:43 PM   #110
Agatha Mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Just got to Blink last night. Lived up to the hype. Great episode, once you know the show and premise. And yes, those weeping angels would gave many kids nightmares.
We showed it to our teenaged niece somewhere around 16 years of age, I'd guess at the time. She now has a fear/phobia due to that episode.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #111
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Marty McFly in "Back to the Future"?
I don't think that is canon in Doctor Who
Old 09-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #112
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Finally had time to test out a Doc episode..."Rose".

All I can say is wow...that was probably one of the least enjoyed bits of TV I've seen in quite a while. Everything about it fell flat. The acting was horrible, the Dr. wasn't funny or appealing at all (reminded me of the lead singer of Men at Work), the special effects were beyond cheesy, the story was just plain dumb (IMO). Seriously, I don't know what the appeal is of that episode.

I'd give it a "D-".

I'm going to move on to the next episode in the que on netflix to see if the Doc can redeem himself or not.

So far I'm not impressed.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #113
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post

Just look at the thread title on the forum main page. The OP is listed there.
Yes, I realize this. It would just be so much more convenient if the OP was tagged throughout the thread.
(3) Minis

gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #114
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Finally had time to test out a Doc episode...
Why are you bothering? You're going to hate it, you hate pretty much everything.

Edit: to be clear, I'm not being snarky here. From everything I've seen you post, you have an incredibly narrow range of what you actually like, and based on that, Doctor Who will not even remotely align with that. Now, this may be a little cynical, but the only reason I can imagine you doing so is so that you can post here how much you disliked it.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #115
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Everyone claims its some of the best stuff on TV so I'm giving it a try.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:27 PM   #116
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Everyone claims its some of the best stuff on TV so I'm giving it a try.
Fair enough, but everyone's interests are different. "Everyone" claims Mad Men is some of the best stuff on TV, and I think it's visual Sominex for me; it is some of the dullest television since C-SPAN. "Everyone" claims Arrested Development is the funniest show in the history of history, but I would rather take an icepick to my eyes than watch another minute of that show.

I can tell you that for you, you won't like the show.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #117
Jstkiddn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post

I can tell you that for you, you won't like the show.
Agree!

The chances are greater that peace will break out in the Middle East tomorrow. No way, no how Alfer is going to like Doctor Who.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #118
BrettStah

If Alfer likes Doctor Who, it will make me really second-guess how much I like Doctor Who.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
BrettStah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #119
JimSpence
Just hangin'

Quote:
Finally had time to test out a Doc episode..."Rose".

All I can say is wow...that was probably one of the least enjoyed bits of TV I've seen in quite a while. Everything about it fell flat. The acting was horrible, the Dr. wasn't funny or appealing at all (reminded me of the lead singer of Men at Work), the special effects were beyond cheesy, the story was just plain dumb (IMO). Seriously, I don't know what the appeal is of that episode.

I'd give it a "D-".

I'm going to move on to the next episode in the que on netflix to see if the Doc can redeem himself or not.

So far I'm not impressed.
That episode was the first one of the new series and like all "new" shows they are trying to find their stride. Watcha few more episodes.

Here's the Wiki article on Billie Piper ("Rose")
Old 09-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #120
mr.unnatural

I just started watching the series "Luther" that aired on BBCA. I just finished the 2nd episode and realized that Paul McGann (aka Doctor Who No. 8) was playing the part of Luther's ex-wife's new boyfriend. I didn't recognize him with short hair and a heavy 5 o'clock shadow.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote