TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
WebG

Arrow Comcast vs UVerse

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I may be forced to drop Comcast and sign up with UVerse.

We already know that the current HD TiVo boxes don't support UVerse, so that's not the question. And with luck, I may only need to be on UVerse for a short period of time before I can return to the comforting bloop bloop bloop TiVo soundtrack.

So here's the Q that's weighing on my mind: what are the chances that the S5 (or whatever they're calling the pending 4/6-tuner units later this year) would support Uverse **and/or** Comcast?

What are the downsides I'll find with UVerse, other than not being able to use TiVo? Any upsides?
WebG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebG View Post
...What are the downsides I'll find with UVerse, other than not being able to use TiVo? Any upsides?
Downside is when you get "all tuners are in use," which is rare.

Thw upside is you have a good DVR, Video on Demand is great, and you can use the online apps like HBO Go, MAX Go and Showtime Anytime.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
WebG

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Downside is when you get "all tuners are in use," which is rare.

Thw upside is you have a good DVR, Video on Demand is great, and you can use the online apps like HBO Go, MAX Go and Showtime Anytime.
Luckily, with an S3 Lifetime, I've become skilled at sticking with just two recordings at a time (while watching a previous recording). Chances of going over 4 tuners in use -- it's 4, right? -- should be relatively easy to avoid.

Agreed about better GO app availability, but it hasn't been a major issue for me thus far.

Any internal wiring, wireless etc that I should be aware of? Every TV has both COAX and one Cat-6 port accessible.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
zalusky

You left out slower internet speeds compared to Comcast.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Any internal wiring, wireless etc that I should be aware of? Every TV has both COAX and one Cat-6 port accessible.
It's all twisted-pair Ethernet so they'll love your Cat-6 ports. The RG has 4 100mb ports and they will supply a 100mb switch.

They can use the existing Coax with the built-in HPNA, too.

If you get Uverse phone service you can have visual voicemail (with a combined mailbox with at&t wireless) and Caller ID on the TV.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
WebG

Quote:
It's all twisted-pair Ethernet so they'll love your Cat-6 ports. The RG has 4 100mb ports and they will supply a 100mb switch.

They can use the existing Coax with the built-in HPNA, too.

If you get Uverse phone service you can have visual voicemail (with a combined mailbox with at&t wireless) and Caller ID on the TV.
All that's well and good, but I'm just angry about being forced to give up TiVo. Especially if I end up actually (shudder) liking UVerse.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalusky View Post
You left out slower internet speeds compared to Comcast.
And more expensive too.

While I don't have Comcast, I do use another cabelco for internet/phone after dropping U-Verse. I switched 3 years ago and I'm still paying $10 less for 15/2 internet with full featured phone service compared to what I was paying U-Verse for 6/1 internet and full featured phone service. And U-Verse has gone up since then.

I feel sorry for you being forced to switch to U-Verse. One of my sisters has U-Verse and the PQ is sub-par compared to Dish (my current tv service) and Comcast (which my other sister has).

As far as your Tivo is concerned, hook it up to a good antenna and record ota. At least that way your ota programs will have good PQ.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
WebG

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
As far as your Tivo is concerned, hook it up to a good antenna and record ota. At least that way your ota programs will have good PQ.
This is a thought. Would hate to end up having an unused Lifetime box sitting around when it could be shown a little bit of love until the Cable Fairies come back through.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
All that's well and good, but I'm just angry about being forced to give up TiVo. Especially if I end up actually (shudder) liking UVerse.
Keep your TiVos for OTA and have a better picture than any pay TV service.
UVerse and OTA

Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
And more expensive too.
What planet are you on? Comcast service sucks and they're constantly figuring out ways to make the bills higher. Like "free" DTA suddenly have a monthly fee to serve you better. Monthly outlet fees when the outlets don't cost them a dime.

Or like in my case where they absolutely could not make my CableCARD bill right. I know they were actually convinced that I was stealing if they didn't' charge me a digital STB I didn't need and at the rate of two for each TiVo.

Besides having the Comcast truck stop in front of my house and shred my cable while I watched and then not allowing me to report the outage for two days after which they said I'd have to wait because it was the weekend.

When I cancelled they charged me for an extra month because I didn't wait while the rep finished closing my account.

I have EIGHT HD STBs with UVerse with a Total Home DVR. I don't pay extra for any of them.
UVerse and OTA

Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
moedaman

Quote:
What planet are you on? Comcast service sucks and they're constantly figuring out ways to make the bills higher. Like "free" DTA suddenly have a monthly fee to serve you better. Monthly outlet fees when the outlets don't cost them a dime.

Or like in my case where they absolutely could not make my CableCARD bill right. I know they were actually convinced that I was stealing if they didn't' charge me a digital STB I didn't need and at the rate of two for each TiVo.

Besides having the Comcast truck stop in front of my house and shred my cable while I watched and then not allowing me to report the outage for two days after which they said I'd have to wait because it was the weekend.

When I cancelled they charged me for an extra month because I didn't wait while the rep finished closing my account.
Sorry, I should have made it more clear that U-Verse was more expensive than the service I get from my cabelco and not Comcast. I won't defend Comcast, but U-Verse always had yearly increases while I was with them. And while you may have had cable card problems, at least Comcast works with cable cards and purchased modems. U-Verse doesn't work with anything but their own equipment (I really hated their second rate modems).

Quote:
I have EIGHT HD STBs with UVerse with a Total Home DVR. I don't pay extra for any of them.
How in the world did you get that deal? And why have that many stb's? I thought the U-Verse gateway only works with four streams? And don't your internet speeds suffer when you run more than three HD streams?
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
...How in the world did you get that deal? And why have that many stb's? I thought the U-Verse gateway only works with four streams? And don't your internet speeds suffer when you run more than three HD streams?
I have that many STBs because it was the most I could get. I only have 5 active. One is on an ElGato HD recorder.

I can get 3 HD feeds plus 1 SD feed at the same time, and the DVR will record all of them. The maximum bandwidth depends on how close you are to the VRAD. My VRAD is on my back fence - to the point where the signal was too strong.
UVerse and OTA

Old 06-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
smithken31100

The 2 things that Tivo has that Uverse doesn't are Wishlists and Suggestions. These 2 things were important enough to me to go back to cable for TV. I still have Uverse for internet and phone.
smithken31100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
I have that many STBs because it was the most I could get. I only have 5 active. One is on an ElGato HD recorder.

I can get 3 HD feeds plus 1 SD feed at the same time, and the DVR will record all of them. The maximum bandwidth depends on how close you are to the VRAD. My VRAD is on my back fence - to the point where the signal was too strong.
The question you didn't answer is how you managed to get them to waive the box rental fees.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

I don't know if you guys care, but Microsoft Mediaroom, that's behind U-Verse (and a bunch of other TV providers outside the US) was sold to Ericsson. The deal closed today.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/...ediaroom-deal/
http://www.microsoft.com/mediaroom/‎
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote