TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVoToGo transfers are FAST!

I just grabbed a couple of videos off my Roamio Pro for testing (just verifying there are no issues with VideoReDo) and man this thing hauls! The TS held at around 11.2MB/sec, which is 89.6Mbps. I only have a 10/100 network, with a MoCa bridge in the middle, so that's pretty much maxed out for my network.

Even the PS file was holding around 10.3MB/sec which is faster then a TS from my Elite. (~7.2MB/sec)

I should test iPad downloads through the Stream and see if those are any faster.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
moyekj

On Gb ethernet last I tested it was ~ 120 Mbps transfer speeds for TS files, so I figure the limiting factor is probably my oldish laptop I/O, not the Roamio.

Stream downloads will probably be limited by transcoding speed so probably won't be any faster (in fact likely a little slower) than a standalone stream I would imagine.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Stream downloads will probably be limited by transcoding speed so probably won't be any faster (in fact likely a little slower) than a standalone stream I would imagine.
Why do you think the internal stream would be slower then a standalone Stream? I was under the impression they used the exact same hardware. And with the TiVo and stream hardware connected via some sort of internal (Gigabit?) switch it seems like if there was any difference it would favor the internal stream. Do you have some other insight?

I still have a standalone Stream so I may run some tests and see if there are in fact any difference between the two or between downloading from a Premiere vs a Roamio.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
moyekj

It's just speculation that if the internal stream leverages any shared resources from Roamio hardware then that may slow things down compared to a standalone stream that has all resources dedicated to one function. I know most of the work is done in dedicated hardware, but figure with internal stream there must be some shared resources that may slow things down a little compared to standalone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I just grabbed a couple of videos off my Roamio Pro for testing (just verifying there are no issues with VideoReDo) and man this thing hauls! The TS held at around 11.2MB/sec, which is 89.6Mbps. I only have a 10/100 network, with a MoCa bridge in the middle, so that's pretty much maxed out for my network.

Even the PS file was holding around 10.3MB/sec which is faster then a TS from my Elite. (~7.2MB/sec)

I should test iPad downloads through the Stream and see if those are any faster.
So this is a transfer from the Stream in the Roamio? If so then the Stream must be limiting the speed. When just transferring a recorded show over the network to a PC I'm getting 190Mb/s(23.75 MB/s) transfer speeds with a gigabit connection. As shown in the transfer history of my Romaio Pro.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
So this is a transfer from the Stream in the Roamio? If so then the Stream must be limiting the speed. When just transferring a recorded show over the network to a PC I'm getting 190Mb/s transfer speeds with a gigabit connection.
No, he was talking about straight up TTG, not stream. Since I clocked in around 120 Mbps the limiting factor is my laptop by the looks of it, not the Roamio, as I suspected would be the case.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
It's just speculation that if the internal stream leverages any shared resources from Roamio hardware then that may slow things down compared to a standalone stream that has all resources dedicated to one function. I know most of the work is done in dedicated hardware, but figure with internal stream there must be some shared resources that may slow things down a little compared to standalone.
I hadn't thought about that. Because of the way it has it's own IP address on the network I assumed it was basically the same hardware as the standalone Stream just soldered onto the TiVo's mobo and attached to some internal switch. But if they do share resources of any kind then you're right, it might be slower.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I hadn't thought about that. Because of the way it has it's own IP address on the network I assumed it was basically the same hardware as the standalone Stream just soldered onto the TiVo's mobo and attached to some internal switch. But if they do share resources of any kind then you're right, it might be slower.
How fast will a regular stream transfer a show? Or for that matter the Stream in the Plus/Pro? I really wish they would hurry up and get Android support.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

I just reassessed my network and actually all the switches between my TiVo and my PC are gigabit. The weak link is the Actiontec MoCa adapter. Even though MoCa is technically capable of up to 270Mbps for some reason the Ethernet port on the adapter is only 10/100. That seems like a stupid oversight on their part.

Does anyone know of a MoCa adapter with a gigabit port on it?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #10
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
How fast will a regular stream transfer a show? Or for that matter the Stream in the Plus/Pro? I really wish they would hurry up and get Android support.
Just for shoots and giggles I ran a Stream vs. Roamio Plus test.

1 hour HD program (6.35GB) transcoded at Best quality.

Stream: 26 minutes
Plus: Just under 21 minutes

The Plus transcode was actually a bit faster. Go figure.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I just reassessed my network and actually all the switches between my TiVo and my PC are gigabit. The weak link is the Actiontec MoCa adapter. Even though MoCa is technically capable of up to 270Mbps for some reason the Ethernet port on the adapter is only 10/100. That seems like a stupid oversight on their part.

My Dlink MoCA adapters also have a 10/100 Ethernet port on them. The Netgear ones do also.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Just for shoots and giggles I ran a Stream vs. Roamio Plus test.

1 hour HD program (6.35GB) transcoded at Best quality.

Stream: 26 minutes
Plus: Just under 21 minutes

The Plus transcode was actually a bit faster. Go figure.
That sounds like great news. Another plus to having the Stream capabilities built in.

Now if I could just use the Stream capabilities with my Android devices.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
innocentfreak

Quote:

The new Verizon Actiontec Wireless N routers have gigabit ports. You might be able to find one on ebay.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote