TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
swerver

Mini features that depend on ethernet vs. moca?

I've seen some other ethernet vs/ moca threads but couldn't find this answer. According to the chart here http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2560 (click "Connection states for Tivo Mini", look at line 3)

it seems like if I use moca to connect a mini to a roamio, I will not get OTT apps? Seems like if that was the case, there would be more complaints about it, but I just wanna make sure. Either this chart is wrong, or I'm reading it wrong, I hope!
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
DaveDFW

That chart has nothing to do with MoCA versus Ethernet--either method allows IP networking and that's all that matters. The chart just lists the results to expect given the state of three communications criteria: Mini to host, Mini to Internet, and host to Internet.
DaveDFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
swerver

OK thanks. In that case the chart is very wrong. They even elaborate on this very case, apparently incorrectly:

"For example, in Row 3, the left side of the table shows that TiVo Mini can connect to the host DVR on the local network, but has no independent connection to the Internet. The host DVR can connect to the Internet. Moving to the right, you see that without an independent Internet connection, TiVo Mini cannot use Internet-based apps or display poster art, but it can still access everything on the host DVR, as well as use Search, Browse, and the Discovery Bar."

I get that the mini can connect via moca to the roamio and that connection is bridged to the roamio's ethernet connection. In fact, that's what I'm relying on, since in my case, my mini won't have an "independent connection to the internet", which to me reads as ethernet only, not moca to ethernet via the roamio. Since obviously if the mini can connect to the roamio, and the roamio can connect to the internet, then the mini can potentially access the internet, though not "independently".
swerver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #4
jmpage2

Yes, that text is totally wrong, you might want to point that out to them. If the Mini connects MoCA to a bridge device (Roamio or other) that has an internet connection the Mini has full internet connectivity, including for apps.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote