TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #151
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah I've got a 2 tuner Premiere with working CableCARD so if they totally hose it I'll still be able to record everything I need for the short term. Still a couple weeks before everything comes back.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:27 PM   #152
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Their logs can tell that you've called in with a bigger hard drive installed then what is standard for your unit.
Well, another advantage of the BB warranty over the TiVo one is that if your TiVo fails BB will likely just give you credit towards a new one (whatever version is current) whereas TiVo will probably send you a refurb.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #153
bodosom
Just another tivotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by overFEDEXed View Post
Yesterday, I opened up my Plus to upgrade my HD. I pulled my Cablecard out of my Elite, that I sold on eBay, and put it in the Plus. i was preparing to call the Cox CC activation line to swap it over, but everything works!

Is this just temporary?
If you can get encrypted channels then it's effectively paired. However you don't need a CableCard to receive clear QAM channels. The card holds "keys" that are specific to the host id, the card id and programming. I'm pretty sure it's a violation of CableLabs terms to circumvent that binding.

A positive test is a premium channel although checking the CableCard Content Access (CA) screen will tell you if a channel is encrypted.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #154
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
Ah man... I feel your pain. I'm seriously ready to pull the trigger myself. I'm just dreading dealing with Comcast...

ETA: Maybe I'll see how it goes with yours. Are you gonna try to get it paired on Tuesday?

Side note: Amazon seems to be selling a LOT of these.
They showed 17 available yesterday morning and by last night they only had 2 left. Today they are showing 18 more in stock (more on the way!) and in the 30 minutes since we got to the Hotel they have sold 3 more and now have 15 left. It would appear that TiVo may have a winner on their hands. I don't recall the Elites flying off the shelves like these are.
Wow. I went over to sit in a Tesla (showroom is next door to the Hotel) and now they are sold out. That's 18 units sold in an hour. I guess I moved too slow...
Old 09-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #155
Beryl

The amazon reviews of the Plus are not encouraging. I hope more owners post reviews.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #156
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Yes the provider doesn't matter much, but if I were to go through all the HD channels the vast majority are 1080i not 720P. Just the Premium channels alone I receive are around forty five at 1080i. Add in the other HD channels and at least 75% of them are in 1080i.

Even alot of the sports channels are in 1080i. BEIN, MASN, CSN, Golf, NFL, Yes, NBA, Tennis, NHL, Fishing, etc. are in 1080i.
Fox and ABC/ESPN alone are more than 25% of channels. I'm not doubting that it's uneven, but it's not THAT uneven. I usually personally prefer 1080i, although ESPN is the best looking channel, and it's 720p, so go figure...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:19 PM   #157
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
The amazon reviews of the Plus are not encouraging. I hope more owners post reviews.
I see 4 reviews, and one if the is a DOA (not good). The other 3 seem like accurate reviews.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #158
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
I see 4 reviews, and one if the is a DOA (not good). The other 3 seem like accurate reviews.
If TiVo is not doing any check on the blank hard drives expect some hard drive DOA, that would make the customers TiVo DOA.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #159
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
If TiVo is not doing any check on the blank hard drives expect some hard drive DOA, that would make the customers TiVo DOA.
They should be. As mentioned in another thread, this costs more, but I believe the cost is well worth it.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #160
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Well, another advantage of the BB warranty over the TiVo one is that if your TiVo fails BB will likely just give you credit towards a new one (whatever version is current) whereas TiVo will probably send you a refurb.
Supposedly they will try to get it fixed first. Since their new extended warranty policies went into effect things have changed. I know they used to not even bat an eye and just give you full credit. But I know the last item I took to BestBuy that was hosed and on the extended warranty, they sent it to get fixed.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #161
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Fox and ABC/ESPN alone are more than 25% of channels. I'm not doubting that it's uneven, but it's not THAT uneven. I usually personally prefer 1080i, although ESPN is the best looking channel, and it's 720p, so go figure...
Then the provider must matter, because I can go through all the HD channels on FiOS and it is easily that lopsided. Which is how I came up with the number in the first place.

I went through all 145+ HD channels that FiOS has and the percentage was that lopsided.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #162
jmpage2

Quote:
Supposedly they will try to get it fixed first. Since their new extended warranty policies went into effect things have changed. I know they used to not even bat an eye and just give you full credit. But I know the last item I took to BestBuy that was hosed and on the extended warranty, they sent it to get fixed.
Maybe. With something like a TiVo it might not be feasible. If you change anything other than the power supply or hard drive the service will need activation.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #163
lessd

Quote:
Maybe. With something like a TiVo it might not be feasible. If you change anything other than the power supply or hard drive the service will need activation.
Best Buy can and will move the activation for you.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #164
innocentfreak

Quote:
Best Buy can and will move the activation for you.
Well TiVo will with the warranty paperwork. Best Buy doesn't do anything for activation unless something changed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:21 PM   #165
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Well TiVo will with the warranty paperwork. Best Buy doesn't do anything for activation unless something changed.
If you have a TiVo Best Buy warrantee for say 3 years and your TiVo goes south in say 2.5 years, and your TiVo has Lifetime on it, Best Buy will repair or give you a new TiVo and have TiVo move the Lifetime under their warrantee deal as a TiVo re-seller.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #166
innocentfreak

Quote:
If you have a TiVo Best Buy warrantee for say 3 years and your TiVo goes south in say 2.5 years, and your TiVo has Lifetime on it, Best Buy will repair or give you a new TiVo and have TiVo move the Lifetime under their warrantee deal as a TiVo re-seller.
My point was at least in my experience Best Buy only replaced the box. I had to call TiVo to transfer lifetime and fax them the paperwork. Best Buy handled nothing when it came to transferring service. Now maybe it has changed since this was years ago.

I agree with the fact TiVo will transfer lifetime with a Best Buy warranty, but Best Buy did nothing to help the process other than give me the paperwork.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #167
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
My point was at least in my experience Best Buy only replaced the box. I had to call TiVo to transfer lifetime and fax them the paperwork. Best Buy handled nothing when it came to transferring service. Now maybe it has changed since this was years ago.

I agree with the fact TiVo will transfer lifetime with a Best Buy warranty, but Best Buy did nothing to help the process other than give me the paperwork.
I would be interested if BB has the ability to repair them through whatever third party repair service they use. TiVo is not a BD player. Sort of a specialty device.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:16 PM   #168
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I would be interested if BB has the ability to repair them through whatever third party repair service they use. TiVo is not a BD player. Sort of a specialty device.
Fixing the HDD is as simple as just dropping in a new drive now, so I could see them doing those sorts of repairs. Other then that there are really only 3 pieces. The mobo, the power supply and the wifi card. Those are all pretty specialty so they probably wouldn't try to fix those. Unless TiVo has some way for them to easily order up the parts, which they never have in the past.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #169
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Fixing the HDD is as simple as just dropping in a new drive now, so I could see them doing those sorts of repairs. Other then that there are really only 3 pieces. The mobo, the power supply and the wifi card. Those are all pretty specialty so they probably wouldn't try to fix those. Unless TiVo has some way for them to easily order up the parts, which they never have in the past.
With the Roamio a hard drive repair is a simple drop-in but that was never the case before. Certainly i think that TiVo simplified this type of repair as it is probably the most common and very easy to do in the field. This will reduce their costs and enable MSO repairs too.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #170
Dan203
Super Moderator

That's what I'm saying BB may try to do self repairs of TiVos now because the most common problem is the HDD and because it's so easy to replace now. Whereas before their only option was really to replace the whole box.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #171
GoHokies!
O2->CO2 Converter

Quote:
That being the case, it's still possible (in theory) for Best Buy to replace the unit, you call up TiVo and ask to move the Lifetime because of the warranty replacement and for TiVo to check the logs, see that you had an upgraded unit and tell you that they won't move the lifetime.

No idea if they will do that, but as long as TiVo "holds the keys" with respect to transferring lifetime and has the means to check on the logs for every box out there, it may no matter who does the warranty replacement.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GoHokies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #172
uw69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHokies! View Post
That being the case, it's still possible (in theory) for Best Buy to replace the unit, you call up TiVo and ask to move the Lifetime because of the warranty replacement and for TiVo to check the logs, see that you had an upgraded unit and tell you that they won't move the lifetime.

No idea if they will do that, but as long as TiVo "holds the keys" with respect to transferring lifetime and has the means to check on the logs for every box out there, it may no matter who does the warranty replacement.
I agree that this could happen, but does anyone know of a case where TiVo has actually done this?
1 Roamio plus 470 hours
3 TiVo Mini's
uw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #173
atmuscarella

Quote:

While I agree anything is possible, TiVo's User Agreement states:
A Product Lifetime subscription lasts for the lifetime of your TiVo device (not your lifetime), and may not be transferred to another TiVo device (except in cases of warranty repair or replacement under applicable warranty terms).
In the case of a Best Buy warranty the applicable warranty terms would be Best Buy's terms not TiVos.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 09-03-2013 at 10:04 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #174
jmpage2

Quote:

If that was going to happen then tivo would not consider Weaknees an authorized reseller and business partner, but they do.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #175
Bigg

Quote:
Then the provider must matter, because I can go through all the HD channels on FiOS and it is easily that lopsided. Which is how I came up with the number in the first place.

I went through all 145+ HD channels that FiOS has and the percentage was that lopsided.
If a channel is 720p, it will be 720p on all providers. Same for 1080i. The ratio can get skewed, since FIOS has a TON of HD channels, so maybe some of the less-watched ones that aren't on other providers are skewed more towards 1080i. However, among the major channels, they are split pretty evenly.

Just look at how many are owned by ABC/ESPN or FOX, and you have a LOT of 720p channels. Add in some random ones like History, and you've got a good percentage of 720p channels.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #176
headless chicken

What is the largest drive that can be manually placed into the Roamio successfully?
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #177
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by headless chicken View Post
What is the largest drive that can be manually placed into the Roamio successfully?
3Tb at this time.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #178
Joe Siegler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaum View Post
I think the only difference is the storage 150 hours vs. 450 hours. Is it worth $200?
Some of them are out in the wild now, have we found out that this is truly the case, where Pro vs Plus is just a matter of HD space, and nothing else?

TiVo Roamio 75hr unmodified, TiVo Roamio 316hr/2TB, both OTA only.
Joe Siegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #179
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Some of them are out in the wild now, have we found out that this is truly the case, where Pro vs Plus is just a matter of HD space, and nothing else?
Well pro says "pro" on the faceplate. Yeah they appear to be identical other than HD capacity.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #180
headless chicken

Quote:
Well pro says "pro" on the faceplate.
Oh yeah, that's totally worth $200 right there
headless chicken is offline   Reply With Quote