TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 214 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #151
dkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkraft View Post
Comcast Cable Naples Florida. Cisco PKEY1.5.2 F.P.2401. Recorded and played back 6 encoded channels. HBO, HBO2, HBOL, HBOZ, SHO, STARZ.

Just purchased 5 hours ago. TiVo downloaded software update. Called Comcast had my CC transferred from my Premier without an issue. Called the direct CC line.
Didn't last long. Error V58 on one channel. Not sure if this is the 4 tuner only issue or the same problem with channels not tuning in on my Premier. I was really hoping upgrading to the Roamio was going to stop the tuning issue. I have now switched to only 4 channels. I'll monitor and see if the 4 channels stops the V58.
dkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #152
jdaniels1982

Running into the same issues here on Long Island....I'm a longtime Tivo user and Cablevision customer....have always had a great tivo experience over the years with the Series 1, Series 2, and 2 tuner Premier xl. The minute I switched over to the 4 tuner Premier Elite model last year I began getting the V58 errors and dropped signal black screen. The issue was inconsistent and would ruin random scheduled recordings. I returned my 4 tuner last year for an older 2 tuner xl after many tivo box exchanges and cable card swap outs. I was so excited when the Romeo was announced and had hoped the new 6 tuner unit had resolved the old issues....Within an our after plugging in my Roamio, I started loosing channels that minutes before had been working fine. The channels that drop are always unpredictable which makes it worse. I'm returning the Roamio unit and going back to my 2 Tuner XL until it dies. So disappointed I love the speed and agility of the new Roamio...but at the end of the day I'm using it to watch tv....if the tivo can't reliably keep all the channels in tune...what's the point... I'm highly doubtful Cablevision carries multiple brands of cable cards to try.
Also just want to say how annoying it is that Tivo continually says to me that this is the first they have heard of the issue...when clearly this forum shows that not to be the case.
Anyone have genuine success resolving the issue?
Joe
jdaniels1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #153
anthonymoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaniels1982 View Post
Running into the same issues here on Long Island....I'm a longtime Tivo user and Cablevision customer....have always had a great tivo experience over the years with the Series 1, Series 2, and 2 tuner Premier xl. The minute I switched over to the 4 tuner Premier Elite model last year I began getting the V58 errors and dropped signal black screen. The issue was inconsistent and would ruin random scheduled recordings. I returned my 4 tuner last year for an older 2 tuner xl after many tivo box exchanges and cable card swap outs. I was so excited when the Romeo was announced and had hoped the new 6 tuner unit had resolved the old issues....Within an our after plugging in my Roamio, I started loosing channels that minutes before had been working fine. The channels that drop are always unpredictable which makes it worse. I'm returning the Roamio unit and going back to my 2 Tuner XL until it dies. So disappointed I love the speed and agility of the new Roamio...but at the end of the day I'm using it to watch tv....if the tivo can't reliably keep all the channels in tune...what's the point... I'm highly doubtful Cablevision carries multiple brands of cable cards to try.
Also just want to say how annoying it is that Tivo continually says to me that this is the first they have heard of the issue...when clearly this forum shows that not to be the case.
Joe
Hmm. I'm CV in Westchester with a Plus currently en route. Question: before you send it back, could you try diagnosing by tuner, or just lowering the tuner count to say 4 to see if that would work?
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #154
AdamNJ

Quote:
Joe
Joe,

The issue is with the Cablevision CableCard, not the TiVo. If you follow the diagnostic steps in this thread you can determine which tuners are working correctly. Then you can limit Tivo to the working tuners until it gets resolved. We would appreciate knowing your firmware level so we have another verified 'case'.

Additionally, are you using a TA? You might not need it on CV at all. But when you hooked up the Roamio, did you also reboot the TA?

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #155
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNJ View Post

Joe,

The issue is with the Cablevision CableCard, not the TiVo. If you follow the diagnostic steps in this thread you can determine which tuners are working correctly. Then you can limit Tivo to the working tuners until it gets resolved. We would appreciate knowing your firmware level so we have another verified 'case'.

Additionally, are you using a TA? You might not need it on CV at all. But when you hooked up the Roamio, did you also reboot the TA?
Re-read his post. He had problems with both a XL4 and Roamio (even set to 4 tuners). Does sound like a cable problem though.
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #156
Jed1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Jed1, the cablecards themselves may indeed support 6 tuners but it's possible the headends don't either software, firmware, or hardware wise which might be a longer term problem.
The M Cards are the same design but I suspect the older cards are not being updated by the cable company. I had an issue last year with TNT HD disappearing from my line up and TBS HD moving into TNT HD channel assignment. They said that two new cards will fix the problem so they changed them and TNT HD showed up in my line up but disappeared again after twenty minutes. I kept telling them the problem was with the channel ID numbers so they finally looked into it and that was the problem.
I actually own my cards so I figure I would let them replace them as I had a S card from 2004. I am getting worried if these two M cards I have now will work in future TiVos as I don't think they will replace them again. I would have to rent the new cards.
My cable system is rolling out a whole home DVR this fall. It is the 6 tuner Moxi setup by Arris, so my system should be good to go with 6 tuner support for cable cards.

I am actually having the V58 problem that TiVo Margret described above on one tuner of my bedroom TiVo Premiere 4. TNT HD will tune in and have a working picture and sound but the V 58 error banner keeps popping up. I can tune to any other channel and not have the problem. If I tune TNT HD on any other of the 3 tuners I do not have the issue.
Jed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #157
jdaniels1982

Never needed the tuning adapter with Cablevision...it's difficult for me to blame the cable company or signal when I have 2 perfectly good Tivo XL's in the house that work fine... The cable card brand is MDS...I doubt Cablevision uses multiple brands I have had several MDS cable cards over the years. I will get back to u on firmware....

Ps...6 tuners ARE working at most times so this is not an issue of one or two tuners never working...the problem seems to be occasional and unpredictable...which is almost worse in my opinion.
jdaniels1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #158
nyjklein
J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets

Quote:
Never needed the tuning adapter with Cablevision...it's difficult for me to blame the cable company or signal when I have 2 perfectly good Tivo XL's in the house that work fine... The cable card brand is MDS...I doubt Cablevision uses multiple brands I have had several MDS cable cards over the years. I will get back to u on firmware....

Ps...6 tuners ARE working at most times so this is not an issue of one or two tuners never working...the problem seems to be occasional and unpredictable...which is almost worse in my opinion.
First of all, Cablevision certainly does use different Cablecards on different systems (in different areas). They use NDS (not MDS) cards on some of their systems and Cisco/Scientific Atlanta cards on others. Cablevision and TiVo have already admitted that there is a problem with the current firmware on their SA cards that affects the sixth tuner and they plan to roll out updated firmware soon. But AFAIK, the NDS cards are supposed to work fine even with six tuners. So have you contacted Cablevision support about your problem on the XL4?

Jeff
nyjklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #159
AdamNJ

Quote:
I use a cisco/sa card and my issue is solely with the 6th. As for it 'working', the tuner works just fine for unencrypted channels (includes local and some cable channels on my CV), but i was getting the v58 error on encrypted.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #160
Am_I_Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyjklein View Post
First of all, Cablevision certainly does use different Cablecards on different systems (in different areas). They use NDS (not MDS) cards on some of their systems and Cisco/Scientific Atlanta cards on others. Cablevision and TiVo have already admitted that there is a problem with the current firmware on their SA cards that affects the sixth tuner and they plan to roll out updated firmware soon. But AFAIK, the NDS cards are supposed to work fine even with six tuners. So have you contacted Cablevision support about your problem on the XL4?

Jeff
NDS cards definitely aren't ok as that's also what i have on cablevision
Am_I_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #161
ASW

Cablevision Cisco/SA cablecard firmware update supposed to be coming soon

Cablevision is aware of the firmware issue with their Cisco/SA cablecards. The Roamio compatibility issue seems to have caught them by surprise, but they were on top of it almost immediately. Cablevision says they are testing the updated firmware necessary for proper functioning of the Tivo Roamio 6-tuner boxes and, if all goes well, they will push out the update as early as this week (per an email to me from Wilt Hildenbrand at Cablevision).

BTW, I have a basic Roamio and a Roamio Pro, both of which seem to be operating OK on the outdated Cisco/SA 1601 firmware (even when I tune to encrypted channels on all 6 tuners on the Pro). If the problem is imtermittent, maybe it just has not shown up yet.
ASW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #162
speedy2
TivoAddict

Just as a side note I reduced my # of tuners last night to 4 from 6 and still experienced the same problem with the last tuner I use (other tuners on different channels) get the random not authorized problem on channels that are encrypted. Very frustrating.
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #163
generaltso

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2 View Post
Just as a side note I reduced my # of tuners last night to 4 from 6 and still experienced the same problem with the last tuner I use (other tuners on different channels) get the random not authorized problem on channels that are encrypted. Very frustrating.
Did you reboot after dropping the number of tuners?
generaltso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:35 AM   #164
speedy2
TivoAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Did you reboot after dropping the number of tuners?
Yes. Sorry for leaving that out. I'm going to do more testing today though and will report back on my results.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #165
anthonymoody

On Cablevision, if I don't get any of the premiums (eg HBO, cinemax) should all 6 tuners work fine regardless? Iow is the issue only with these channels, or others as well?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #166
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
On Cablevision, if I don't get any of the premiums (eg HBO, cinemax) should all 6 tuners work fine regardless? Iow is the issue only with these channels, or others as well?
You would likely get the problem. It can/will happen on any encrypted channel which includes some of the "optimum value" channels. I know 746 (A&E) is encrypted, but things like 748 (History) isn't. I may have it backwards, but still it's not just HBO that I had v58 with my 6th tuner.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #167
speedy2
TivoAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy2 View Post
Yes. Sorry for leaving that out. I'm going to do more testing today though and will report back on my results.
I set my Roamio to 5 tuners and rebooted. Looks like all 5 are now working on encrypted channels. I'm going to test it for a while and see if it stays good or if any channels drop out again.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #168
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Quote:
So when you are testing that all 6 tuners are working, be sure that u are on encyrpted channels.
I'm getting a 'clear' on an encrypted channel but a "Decryption fail time" entry for the tuners that got the Not Authorized error (with the correct time in GMT when I tried to tune to that channel).

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #169
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

I just did Margaret's Procedure on post 135 on a PKM800 PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1601 on Charter in Altadena, CA.

The Not Authorized channel reappeared on all 6 tuners, but 1 had no audio. Never came up, and I did wait. It was the first tuner that came up after reboot, DecryptRecordChannels 6(0 1 2 3 4 5) when using the no audio tuner. The CC CA screen said 'ent' on all tuners, with no decrypt fail entries. Tried tuning to other channels and got a V58 on 1 tuner.

Did the same after a reboot after setting to 5 tuners. No audio on one channel again. 5 (0 1 2 3 4). However, I was able to tune all those 5 with no V58. So I'll leave it in 5 tuner mode and see if that last tuner fails.

So the 2nd charter tech just left after another appointment post-holiday. These techs didn't have any updated cable cards either. I think any further dealings will have to be either through TiVo or with TiVo's help.

--Carlos V.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #170
tim1724

PKM800 PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1601 on Charter (Alhambra, CA) (As far as I can tell, they have NEVER sent out an update. This firmware is from 2009, and I got this card in 2011.)

So far so good.

When I first got my card switched over to my Roamio, it would only tune two premium channels at a time. But I entered the code to only use 4 tuners, rebooted, and found that all 4 worked. So then I decided to try all 6 again. I entered the code to turn all six back on, rebooted again, and now I have all six tuned to different HBO and Showtime channels at the same time and all six recording. So the card certainly seems to support six at once.

When I was having trouble at first, I was seeing errors on the Decryption Fail Time part of the CA screen. But now I don't get any errors there, and when I page through the Active Program parts of the CA screen I see streams listed for all six (Program Index 0-5)

I'm hoping it keeps working with all six and that the problems I had at first were just because I needed to reboot after the cablecard got authorized. (I certainly had that sort of thing sometimes when I switched cards in my old Series 3 TiVo.)
tim1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #171
anthonymoody

Quote:
You would likely get the problem. It can/will happen on any encrypted channel which includes some of the "optimum value" channels. I know 746 (A&E) is encrypted, but things like 748 (History) isn't. I may have it backwards, but still it's not just HBO that I had v58 with my 6th tuner.
Okay thanks. I will try these channels one at a time with all 6 tuners to see thanks.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #172
joelw

I'm with Cablevision on Long Island, and this problem has been a nightmare. I never experienced this on my Series 3, and had it from time-to-time with my Premier XL4. I ALWAYS have it on my Roamio, and it's driving me mad. It's on all of the tuners, not just the extra two.

Three days ago a CV tech came and swapped out the cable card. He also installed a signal booster. Everything was fine -- for a couple of hours It occurs ALL the time on all but the basic channels. Sometime they come back; sometimes they don't. I remove and re-seat the card. I re-boot the Tivo. This absolutely stinks. I have a 45-day return period on my Roamio from BestBuy, and if Cablevision can't straighten this out, I'm returning it.

Here's one thing I don't understand - while I had this problem on the Premier, it was occasional and bearable. Why would the same card on the Roamio give me such problems? And, if I go back to the Premier, will that now be any better?
joelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #173
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelw View Post
I'm with Cablevision on Long Island, and this problem has been a nightmare. I never experienced this on my Series 3, and had it from time-to-time with my Premier XL4. I ALWAYS have it on my Roamio, and it's driving me mad. It's on all of the tuners, not just the extra two.

Here's one thing I don't understand - while I had this problem on the Premier, it was occasional and bearable. Why would the same card on the Roamio give me such problems? And, if I go back to the Premier, will that now be any better?
Joel,
I understand that you say you had the problem on the 4 tuner premiere, but can you give us more details on the roamio issues? Please give us the cablecard info and also double check which actual tuner gives the issue (can't use the info >> multi tuner tab). Instructions are posted earlier on how to check both.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #174
Am_I_Evil

here's my cablevision card info (*see attachments; cablevision - NDS card...i have another one as well but same firmware i believe)

sometimes i lose a tuner or 2 (V58 error on any HD channel but SDs tune fine)...either that or maybe lost audio on a tuner...very annoying as its completely intermittent and no idea when it'll happen...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg cablecard.jpeg (136.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpeg firmware.jpeg (108.8 KB, 66 views)
Old 09-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #175
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

Now it's a different problem. Twice in as many nights, I come home and find out that my premiums have been forgotten. Not a V58 error, but the V53 'can't tune' error.

Power cycling the Tuning Adapter (and only the TA) brings them back until the next day. Well except for once where they were forgotten again in 15 minutes.

In every case, the CA screens looked funky. Listing only a subset of tuners, like 0 3 5 or 1 and 4 in the Active Programs list.

--Carlos V.

Last edited by Unbeliever : 09-05-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:31 AM   #176
AdamNJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am_I_Evil View Post
here's my cablevision card info (*see attachments; cablevision - NDS card...i have another one as well but same firmware i believe)
thanks for the pics. i find it funny that the rear sticker on this nds card looks basically exactly the same as an sa/cisco card including the serial number starting with pk. the sa/cisco cards are 'powerkey', and both that i have seen start with the same pk. i suspect they are similar and likely had similar firmware, and share the firmware issues.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #177
tyheyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkraft View Post
Didn't last long. Error V58 on one channel. Not sure if this is the 4 tuner only issue or the same problem with channels not tuning in on my Premier. I was really hoping upgrading to the Roamio was going to stop the tuning issue. I have now switched to only 4 channels. I'll monitor and see if the 4 channels stops the V58.
I'm here in Naples, as well, same firmware. I believe two out of the six tuners have the V58 error here locally.
tyheyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #178
Smirks
.:. Hello .:.

Another Raritan Valley Cablevision customer here with non-working 6th (and maybe 5th) tuner on a Roamio Plus.

H/W Make: Scientific Atlanta
H/W Model: PKM800
OS Ver: PKEY1.5.2_F.p.1601

After I first setup the unit I was able to tune and record 6 encrypted channels, but after the recordings finished and a couple of hours I was getting a V58 on the 6th tuner.

I knocked it back to 4 tuners just to be safe using the codes Margaret posted. I would have kept it at 5, but I didn't want to risk the 5th tuner eventually losing it's ability to tune encrypted channels as well.
Smirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #179
Am_I_Evil

my box is having a really hard time so far today...this is really getting annoying...
Old 09-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #180
anthonymoody

CV in Westchester here. Just got the Roamio Plus set up and cc paired. Confirmed that one of the 6 tuners cannot tune channel 746 (A&E HD) though the other 5 can. Did the 5 tuner trick per TiVo Margaret's post. We'll see what happens from here.

List the following:
H/W Model: 0800, Ver: 0012
Bldr Ver: 124
OS Ver: PKEY 1.5.2_F.p.1601
Build Time: Jun 19, 2009, 11:13:47