TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 PM   #931
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbielowicz View Post
Are people setting up their new TiVo boxes before upgrading the hard drive.
Service setup, cable card setup etc...

Just curious before I get mine
You can do it either way. CC Pairing and other setup information is not preserved if you set it up with the factory drive and then replace it. Running it first with the factory drive does confirm the box is healthy (ideally you would do this for about 30-90 days before doing the drive replacement).

However..... most of us have seemingly been just cracking them open new and putting the bigger HD in.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #932
elwaylite

As stated, either way. I set mine up and recorded some OTA with a DVR Expander before I found out easy the upgrade was.
elwaylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #933
vurbano

Quote:

No. Put the new drive in as soon as you get it out of the box.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #934
JohnnyO
Crimper

Quote:

I think some are doing the swap before initial boot, and others are testing the system as shipped from TiVo before swapping the drives.

I decided to go ahead and swap the drive before and testing, because I didn't want to go through the Guided set-up twice, and with the current upgrade option, there is no facility to copy data from one drive to another. I figured if I had issues, I could then drop back to the initial drive and test. I'm three days in on the 2 GB drive replacement drive with no issues so far.

John
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #935
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
Upgraded my pro to 3tb last nite, pretty darn easy I would say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Thought a pro was already 3TB???
That's why it was so easy!
astrohip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #936
tbielowicz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
I think some are doing the swap before initial boot, and others are testing the system as shipped from TiVo before swapping the drives.

I decided to go ahead and swap the drive before and testing, because I didn't want to go through the Guided set-up twice, and with the current upgrade option, there is no facility to copy data from one drive to another. I figured if I had issues, I could then drop back to the initial drive and test. I'm three days in on the 2 GB drive replacement drive with no issues so far.

John

All - thanks for the replies.

One more question Cablecard related. Was it an easy swap from your Premier Tivo or was it a bit more complicated?

Just preparing myself as my Roamio arrived today and my hard drive is coming tomorrow.
tbielowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #937
PaulNEPats

Popped in a 3TB WD Red drive today. I've noticed some slight hitching when changing the channels. Not sure if that's just the channel data still loading/caching.
PaulNEPats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #938
innocentfreak

http://www.wkblog.com/tivo/2013/09/c...BIvnTU.twitter

Looks like soon Weaknees may offer a 7TB Roamio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #939
jmpage2

Hats off to them for doing this. I'm definitely not the target demographic, especially since it will likely require a RAID-0 type arrangement with the 2nd drive on an eSATA port.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #940
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

While most probably don't care what I think...

I'm not going to gripe about the thread's sudden shift to warranty concerns. I think it's past-due for discussion on "the other side" of upgrading the drive.

It's a legitimate concern, and the thread's title doesn't include "Pictures of the same thing, over an over, and YouTube videos ONLY".

I was growing tired of seeing so many pictures, and clips, of what has already been confirmed. How many of the same do we need?

Yes, replicating the results are important. I think we've seen plenty of AV drive upgrades, and a small sampling of a few who chose to try a non-AV drive.

This is the first TiVo upgrade thread, for a new product, where the masses went straight to AV drives. I suspect the sudden negligible extra cost accounts for that. It used to nearly double the cost to get the AV drives, so things used to go the opposite way (people got the much-cheaper, at the time, non-AV drives).

I've had my fill of up-to-3TB AV drive data. I'm still very interested in how the non-AV drives work, and if they will continue to work as well as the AV drives, given some time. I suspect that they will, but only time will tell.

When I see people arguing with a forum moderator over warranty matters, I take it as a sign that it's a topic that I best keep anything I know, or think I do, to myself... So, that's my 2 cents. Happy upgrading everybody, and good luck (which you may also need if you find yourself with an upgraded Roamio, and it should fail, be discovered defective, and/or you need technical support from TiVo).
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #941
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Hats off to them for doing this. I'm definitely not the target demographic, especially since it will likely require a RAID-0 type arrangement with the 2nd drive on an eSATA port.
That's always been their approach, one internal drive, one on the eSATA port, when it comes to going for the "Biggest TiVo capacity in the world" crown.

I suspected this was what they were working on, from the get-go. Now, all we need is for them to make sure it's going to work once full, and things start getting deleted for space, begin selling them, then somebody can try to reverse-engineer what they did, and maybe we can see some competition, keeping prices in check... They usually are the first, and their prices fall in line with assuming they can be the only source. Then, people like DVR_DUDE pop-up, selling at lower prices, and we won't have to take out a second mortgage to have the same thing...

I wonder how long it will take this time...
Old 09-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #942
Devx

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post

I can't get over the number of hours of content that is. Of course, its variable but for HD, its over 45 days and in SD, it's almost a years worth of playable content.
THD 2TB x 2
Humax S2 300GB (retired)
Devx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #943
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
I can't get over the number of hours of content that is. Of course, its variable but for HD, its over 45 days and in SD, it's almost a years worth of playable content.
Ridiculous if you ask me. I wouldn't trust a TiVo to preserve all that for as long as I want in the 1st place. But I'm probably in the minority being content with 1TB per 6 tuners (and perhaps lucky that my Cable Co. does not mark everything as copy protected like TWC does so anything I want to keep for the long term is offloaded).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:43 PM   #944
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Ridiculous if you ask me. I wouldn't trust a TiVo to preserve all that for as long as I want in the 1st place. But I'm probably in the minority being content with 1TB per 6 tuners (and perhaps lucky that my Cable Co. does not mark everything as copy protected like TWC does so anything I want to keep for the long term is offloaded).
I'm of the opposite minority, in a way. I like having multiple 2-Tuner TiVos with 2TB each. One goes down, plenty left to take over, or plenty left to have more than one TiVo recording the same content, should one fail (or fail to record).

What I don't like about it is all the extra costs involved with all the cablecards required, and all the extra power each Tuning Adapter, on each unit sucks in, and pumps out as heat (adding to air conditioning load/electric bill costs).

While reducing cable and electric costs is a nice thought, along with more tuners and less conflicts, less TiVos means more chance of a TA going offline, or any number of single problems, causing all 4/6 tuners to become useless, and no recorded content...
Old 09-04-2013, 11:34 PM   #945
jmbach

Quote:

Probably a 3TB internal with a 4TB external. (It's probably obvious but I'd thought I mention it anyway) Getting a 4TB internal will require some finessing of the partition table and MFS media partitions.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 AM   #946
Rkkeller

Guys I am getting worried. I have had 3 reboots in the last 6 hours, 2 of them in the last 30 minutes and I was doing nothing but watching the news.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #947
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
Guys I am getting worried. I have had 3 reboots in the last 6 hours, 2 of them in the last 30 minutes and I was doing nothing but watching the news.
WHat is your setup? CableCARD? HD upgrade? Much easier than having people search the thread for the relevant information.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #948
Series3Sub

Quote:
Yes, more info please. I'm going to be an OTA user only, so I really want to know if this is just the CableCard TA fiasco.

Also, it could just be a bad TiVo---HDD, anyway.

So have your upgraded the HDD on your own and experiencing this problem? Let us know, and if so, what HDD you installed.

Thanks.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 AM   #949
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Probably a 3TB internal with a 4TB external. (It's probably obvious but I'd thought I mention it anyway) Getting a 4TB internal will require some finessing of the partition table and MFS media partitions.
That was my assessment (educated guess) as well. Since it's 7TB, not 8, I assumed they put a 3TB on the inside and a 4TB on the eSATA port.

At least they seem to be testing things more thoroughly, after the whole original 4TB Premieres they were selling turned out to have a fatal flaw.

It must be absolutely killing them, having to hold-back, before starting sales. At that capacity, the testing phase might take a while...
Old 09-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #950
Rkkeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
WHat is your setup? CableCARD? HD upgrade? Much easier than having people search the thread for the relevant information.

I am using a CC with Comcast and upgraded the HD to a 3tb, the one linked a few pages back in this thread.

I am doing a test, I started recording on all the tuners and it will record until I go home for lunch. Then I will see what happens or if its only one tuner or what.
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #951
andyw715

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I'm not very versed in RAID 0 (which is what I think happens when an eSATA drive is married to TiVO), but at the end of the day isn't the outcome (from the O/S point of view) a drive that looks like a big 7TB disk?

I guess I don't know what the difference would be if it were a 3TB + 4TB set up vs just a 7TB drive in there (except for the issue of the existence of a singl 7TB disk)
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #952
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

Sounds good but already with 3TB the my Shows list is becoming a pain. I really wish they would implement profiles then it would be easier to view content. For instance I would have one profile labeled news.

On a daily basis I have four to six tuners recording so the My shows list is becoming very large already even though I've only used around 25% of the storage space.

When I was using two Elites I had my Season Passes split up between them. But now with everything on one box the My Shows list is becoming very cluttered with so many shows being recorded each day. At least the navigation is very quick with the Roamio.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 09-05-2013 at 08:21 AM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #953
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post
I'm not very versed in RAID 0 (which is what I think happens when an eSATA drive is married to TiVO), but at the end of the day isn't the outcome (from the O/S point of view) a drive that looks like a big 7TB disk?

I guess I don't know what the difference would be if it were a 3TB + 4TB set up vs just a 7TB drive in there (except for the issue of the existence of a singl 7TB disk)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw715 View Post

Yes, but you also have two points of failure. And I believe if one drive fails you lose both drives worth of recordings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Sounds good but already with 3TB the my Shows list is becoming a pain. I really wish they would implement profiles then it would be easier to view content. For instance I would have one profile labeled news.

On a daily basis I have four to six tuners recording so the My shows list is becoming very large already even though I've only used around 25% of the storage space.
I agree. I already hit 30% on my Pro and it is going to be tough managing these.

I am already trying to figure out my strategy going forward.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #954
HeatherA
Old AVS Forum Member

Does anyone think either of these drives will work? I'm hoping to pick up a drive and a Roamio from Best Buy and none of the drives mentioned in the thread are available in store.

WD Drive I can get at Best Buy

Seagate Drive I can get at Best Buy

Roamio Basic 477HDHr TiVo Prem.4 237HDHr TiVo Prem.XL 157HDHr TiVo Prem. 192HDHrx2 TiVo Mini

Retired
TiVoS2DT 560hr HDVR2 104hr Phillips 14hr TiVoS2(40hr) DTiVo 69hr TiVoHD 21HDhr

Last edited by HeatherA : 09-05-2013 at 08:50 AM.
HeatherA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #955
BobCamp1

Quote:
You may have a defective hard drive. Around 15% of hard drives are defective by the time they are used for the first time. The shipping process is very bad on a hard drive.

Put in the original drive and see if the problems go away. If so, start the RMA process.
BobCamp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #956
andyw715

Quote:
Yes, but you also have two points of failure. And I believe if one drive fails you lose both drives worth of recordings.
Yeah I was speaking in the point of view of the difficulty of an internal 4TB + drive.

When you plug in the eSATA, it effectively becomes one big drive, and the TiVo can manage it without having to do anything.

So If I have a Roamio Pro + 1TB extender. I have a RAID 0 or JBOD volume that is accessible as a 4TB drive.

The question is, as far as the O/S is concerned. What is the difference between an internal 4TB drive and an internal 3TB + 1TB extender?
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #957
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherA View Post
Does anyone think either of these drives will work? I'm hoping to pick up a drive and a Roamio from Best Buy and none of the drives mentioned in the thread are available in store.

WD Drive I can get at Best Buy

Seagate Drive I can get at Best Buy
Neither of those drives is optimized for DVR use. They are desktop drives, which means that they might run hotter as well as have power management features that mess with TiVo.

It very well might work, but if the drive runs noticeably warmer than what TiVo uses (Seagate or WD drives optimized for DVR use) then it could potentially cause some kind of issue somewhere down the line.

Or, it could work fine for years. I replaced drives in two of my old TiVo HD units with Samsung Spinpoint desktop hard drives. One worked fine for 3 years, the other one had a bad drive in 18 months.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #958
overFEDEXed

Solved for me, kind of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

When I was using two Elites I had my Season Passes split up between them. But now with everything on one box the My Shows list is becoming very cluttered with so many shows being recorded each day. At least the navigation is very quick with the Roamio.

I had that problem with all of my kids shows. I use to use some program that I found here, to automatically pull the shows off the TiVo, put them in a folder, then push them back to the TiVo, now "grouped". It kept things more organized.

I may have to go back to that now.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #959
Rose4uKY

Our 3 week old Premiere had 2TB and 300 HD Hours and coming from a Series 3 160hr 20 HD we couldn't get over all the shows we had and tons of Suggestions and still at like 13%. Well then we decided to return the Premiere cause the Roamio came out and the plus was the same price so we now have 1TB over 2 and 1/2 the amount of HD hours but I still think will be fine. I can't see having 7TB wow! I do wish I had the Pro but I am still happy with the plus better features and faster than the premiere and much more space than my old series 3.

But for some reason it's not recording suggestions still. But yes we had to pack up the Premiere and I have TWC and so much was copyrighted I was upset cause I lost a lot of good suggestions and rock concert off AXS TV that we like. But I think will be fine with 1TB all my season passes are mostly night time fall shows and 3 soaps and a morning talk show and since Suggestions get deleted 1st and having 6 tuner I don't think me and my boyfriend will have a conflict or any trouble and if I get behind on a few shows and just want them off the DVR cause there HD I can always transfer to my PC where I have a 2.5 TB external so I'm good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #960
jmpage2

It took over 24 hours before mine started doing suggestions. Adding new SPs and thumbs up/down of shows also helps it figure out what to record.