TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Steveclem

Angry Very Disappointed with Customer Service

Ten days ago I ordered a Tivo Roamio Plus and a Mini. The Plus for our family room, the Mini for the basement. The Tivo agent who sold me this package assured me that I could connect these two units together. "It will be easy." Even in an old home, over 100 feet between the two units, modem and router another 25 feet from the Plus in a third room, I ask. Still "no problem" he says.

The UPS box arrived several days later. I jump into the connection process. 30 minutes later, the Plus is working. That's the good news. The Mini--a different story. Days later, after numerous calls to Tivo Help, each time getting different instructions about connecting the Mini, almost none of which is on the website, the Mini still won't connect. It loads, reboots, loads again. Still picture but no motion. Hours of my time invested. Frustration mounts. I've spent at least 20 hours on this, calling Tivo, searching this site and the web for answers. I buy extra cable, consider buying a second Moca adapter but am then told I don't need one. Still nothing works.

So I give up. Didn't want to. But I'm not going to pay $600 up front plus serious connection fees each year for a product that's just marginally better than a new cable company DVR. The final frustration was paying $26 when dropping off the box at UPS this morning. You'd think Tivo would pay for return shipping when a product does not work as advertised. I called Tivo later today and to see if they might reconsider paying for the return. Nope. Nope. Nope. "That's our policy and we're sicking to it".

Prior to this, I thought Tivo was a great company with advanced products and services. Now I'm not so sure. My attitude toward Tivo products and customer service just fell to the bottom of the chart. Apparently they don't care whether my system worked or not.

I will not be able to say anything positive about Tivo to friends, relatives and co-workers in the months and years ahead. I hope Tivo figures it was worth it!!!
Steveclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #2
mr.unnatural

FWIW, nobody likes Tivo customer service.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

It seems more like an issue with someone's unrealistic expectations of their wifi's capabilities than an issue with the functionality of the tivo hardware. If I ran across this type of problem, the first solution I'd try would be to add a wifi extender.

btw, did your house grow in the last few days? your first post put the distance at 75 ft, now you say 100ft. One can only assume your house got bigger because I don't think you would lie just to make your argument seem better.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
AdamNJ

You already sent the units back so we can't help you at this point, but I'd like to understand your issue better.

How were you trying to connect the Mini to the Plus? Your other post talked about using "power line networking" which isn't supported, fast, reliable, or a smart solution for any networking. What about MOCA (using the coaxial cable)? Did you enable the moca in the Plus? Did you use a POE filter (if someone nearby had a MOCA network and you don't have a filter on your drop, it could cause issues).

Also important, how was the Plus connected to your network?

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
b_scott
TiVo Fan

HD isn't meant to stream over Wifi, I don't think. Try the built in MoCA.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Steveclem

Wi-Fi does not work for this combo of Tivo units, or possibly any Tivo units. At least that's what I was told by a Tivo rep. I use a Wi-Fi connection with my network-connected DVD player and that works just fine! If it were that easy, I would still have Tivo.

And aren't you the clever one about the distance between the two rooms changing from 75 feet to 100 feet. Tivo could use a really smart person like you!
Steveclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveclem View Post
Wi-Fi does not work for this combo of Tivo units, or possibly any Tivo units. At least that's what I was told by a Tivo rep. I use a Wi-Fi connection with my network-connected DVD player and that works just fine! If it were that easy, I would still have Tivo.

And aren't you the clever one about the distance between the two rooms changing from 75 feet to 100 feet. Tivo could use a really smart person like you!
what does using wifi for your dvd player have to do with streaming full quality HD MPEGs through your house? You mean you stream Netflix? That's not the same.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
AdamNJ

I guess no answers will be coming to my questions.

on Cablevision Raritan Valley system (Central NJ)
w/ Cisco PKM803 CableCARD on firmware 1.5.3.1101

*** 2013 newbie to Tivo ***
AdamNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #9
MScottC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
FWIW, nobody likes Tivo customer service.
I can tell you you are wrong. I've had very little problems with TiVo Customer Service. I find their customer service department up there with the best. Please don't speak for everyone.
MScottC is online now   Reply With Quote