TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #421
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devx View Post
Too late now but if your company allows (or you know someone in the mail room/dock/receptionist, etc.) you can have packages delivered there instead if you feel its secure. UPS and FedEx typically deliver much earlier to businesses.
I work from home.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #422
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I work from home.
So it was never delivered?
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #423
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
And some people smoke two packs a day and live to 100....
At least there is a lot evidence about smoking and how long you may live, I don't think there is much evidence about the life cycle of newer hard drives, just what people feel, if you leave a drive on 24/7 for years and you do have a power outage than the drive parking may jam as some dust may have gotten the part of the arm that has not been used for years.
There is no good answer to this question about the life of newer hard drives running 24/7 vs a 50% duty cycle with any degree of certainty so everybody can do as they think is best. My logic comes from the idea that if you get a new drive and test it out so you are sure it is working, put it back in its bag and hold it for 20 years, it will work 20 years later, the same drive running 24/7 would never last 20 years.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #424
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
So it was never delivered?
Yep. Got it setup and I'm transferring all my shows now.

The speed is pretty awesome. No lag at all. Every button press gives you some sort of feed back, they never miss or get queued up like on the Premiere. Even if you press a button a little fast, before it's done loading, you get a bong you don't get a mystery click that may or may not register.

Only issue I'm having is it seems one of my channels is coming in a bit pixelated. It's a local channel and it happens even when the CableCARD is not installed, so it seems to be some tuner issue. Same channel on all my other TiVos works fine. Not sure what's going on there. I might have to troubleshoot a bit in the morning to get it working right. Or maybe it'll magically fix itself over night. <fingers crossed>
Old 09-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #425
Rkkeller

I have had my Roamio 4 days now and already upgraded to a 3tb HD. Initial impressions are WOW, crisp clear screens/menus and finally speed that has been missing in other TiVo's. The best TiVo released to date IMO and well worth upgrading for me.

A could soso's would be, FINISH getting rid of the SD screens and make viewing a picture in the corner on all screens. Second would be changing the zoom/guide button on the remote. Why after all these years and years change this?????????
Rkkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #426
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post
I have had my Roamio 4 days now and already upgraded to a 3tb HD. Initial impressions are WOW, crisp clear screens/menus and finally speed that has been missing in other TiVo's. The best TiVo released to date IMO and well worth upgrading for me.

A could soso's would be, FINISH getting rid of the SD screens and make viewing a picture in the corner on all screens. Second would be changing the zoom/guide button on the remote. Why after all these years and years change this?????????
I would love to have the TV window on all screens. That would be perfect for me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #427
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Got my Roamio Basic last night and upgraded to a 3TB drive. I'm very impressed with it's speed. I'm coming from a Tivo HD. Netflix works so much better. It was late so I didn't get to do a whole lot, but I know I'm going to love it.

Only thing I have to figure out is how to use my Harmony 880 with both my Tivo HD and my Roamio Basic. Not sure that's even possible but I guess I'll find out soon enough.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #428
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Only thing I have to figure out is how to use my Harmony 880 with both my Tivo HD and my Roamio Basic. Not sure that's even possible but I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Excepting my disdain in general for Harmony remotes, there's nothing about the Roamio that would make this any different than any other two or more TiVo receivers controlled from the same remote; just configure each TiVo to a different non-zero remote code, and find matching IR device profiles for the remote for each remote code and you'll be set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #429
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Excepting my disdain in general for Harmony remotes, there's nothing about the Roamio that would make this any different than any other two or more TiVo receivers controlled from the same remote; just configure each TiVo to a different non-zero remote code, and find matching IR device profiles for the remote for each remote code and you'll be set.
That's what I wasn't sure about if I could set the IR code for each Tivo in the Harmony setup. So it has to be nonzero? I noticed last night my Tivo HD is set to "1" and my Romio to "0".
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #430
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
That's what I wasn't sure about if I could set the IR code for each Tivo in the Harmony setup. So it has to be nonzero? I noticed last night my Tivo HD is set to "1" and my Romio to "0".
Yes you'd want it to be non-zero because 0 is the 'universal' TiVo remote code.

A TiVo set to remote code '0' will accept commands any TiVo remote*; regardless of the code the remote is set to.
A TiVo remote set to remote code '0' can control any TiVo; regard of the code the TiVo is set to.

That can be useful as a recovery method in certain situations but it's almost certainly not the behavior you normally want. Better to set both TiVos (and their remotes) to non-zero codes so you don't have cross control issues.
---
*Any IR TiVo remote, obviously an IR only TiVo can't accept RF commands
Old 09-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #431
Dan203
Super Moderator

Another small nit about the Roamio... The remote feels a bit cheap. When quickly pushing buttons I can feel it creak a bit in my hand. I wont actually be using it as I use a Harmony, but for the price I think the Pro should have come with a nicer remote.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #432
jmpage2

Quote:
Another small nit about the Roamio... The remote feels a bit cheap. When quickly pushing buttons I can feel it creak a bit in my hand. I wont actually be using it as I use a Harmony, but for the price I think the Pro should have come with a nicer remote.
I noticed that as well, you would think at least with the Pro they would have included a backlit one similar to the one that came with the XL4.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #433
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
And some people smoke two packs a day and live to 100....

b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #434
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkkeller View Post

do the screens really look different than the Premiere? They look pretty much the same on the pictures I've seen.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #435
aaronwt
HD Addict

Yes they look different.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #436
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvf View Post
You must be one of those tech support guys that don't have a clue when I call them about something.
I've been building and into computers since 1979. When your always writing to a hard drive it won't last as long as opposed to it idling. I still have hard drives that are over 20 years old that still work. (course there very small drives, I have one with 13mb on it) I usually replace my hd in my computer because of size rather then it failing and I always have my hd in my pc idle rather then writing on it all the time. And If tivo ever fails it usually going to be because of the hard drive failing. My old tivo's hard drive failed after 3 years. I had to replace the drive in it so I can still have my lifetime subscription (since it goes with the unit not the hd).
That's nice. Hard drives are better now than in 1979. Green drives are made to run 24/7 and not be cold booted every day.

Seems like you've had bad luck with a TiVo drive. Anecdotal evidence is not a valid conclusion.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #437
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
do the screens really look different than the Premiere? They look pretty much the same on the pictures I've seen.
It uses a different font, and for whatever reason that new font gives a much cleaner, crisp look to most every screen. Go figure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #438
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
They are very different. When you flop back and forth between the two it's really obvious.

To me it looks like they are trying to break away from the TiVo persona. If you replaced the little TiVo logo in the corner you wouldn't even know it was a TiVo except maybe from the iconic green playbar when watching a show. However if that was replaced with a different color it could be a generic DVR offered by any company and no one would be the wiser. Maybe that's the goal? To create a generic DVR they can sell to other MSOs that they can then apply their own branding to?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #439
Beryl

Quote:
It reminds me of the material used for the slide remote -- very cheap plastic. I prefer my Harmony anyway.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #440
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Exactly. It should have come with a Slide (or Slide 2).
Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #441
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
The menus?

Oh yes, they look incredibly better on the Roamio. MUCH sharper. MUCH better font. Very impressive when you compare the two. It is immediately evident the moment you look at it.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #442
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottvf View Post
Wonder if there's a hack to turn off the always running hard drives when not recording a show. I never watch live tv, so I don't need it recording from all the tuners 24/7.
I manually "tuner park" my tuners to non-existent (or not able to tune to) antenna channels (I don't have an antenna connected), when I am done with my TiVos for a while, and also have a season pass set up for each tuner by way of "schedule a manual recording", at 4AM to the same channels, for one minute each, per tuner, at the same time. Since it detects no signal, no buffering. It's very important to always keep these "parking" SPs at the very bottom of the SPM list, so they never make you lose a recording you do want.

It's more difficult (in my market) to find cable channels that don't buffer, even if I am not authorized to view them. It's like it just buffers them, while blocking me from viewing them (my best guess).

It doesn't spin-down the drive, but it stops the wear and tear from the TiVo always buffering something on every tuner, when I don't want/need it to.

Since I always disable the acoustics setting on all my TiVo drives, it is very easy to hear that the drive goes from thrashing all the time, to nearly silent, unless it is performing Guide Data indexing, Garbage Collection, or other automatic maintenance of some sort.

Using Standby Mode also helps more, since it shuts down all AV output, further reducing the TiVo's load.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #443
mattack

Quote:
I don't know why anyone would even care about standby.
This has been discussed endlessly... however, to repeat yet again...

1) To prevent EASes from wrecking recordings. In my current house, I have *several* "monthly required tests"... they seem to USUALLY happen at around midnight, but not always.. and I'm recording late night talk shows at that point.. so it ruins recordings.

If they're in standby, it won't ruin them.. (But admittedly, mine usually AREN'T in standby, since I'm watching something.)

2) to turn off the video outputs. This may be useful for some people, with e.g. auto-switchers or something. (Long long ago in the fog of time, it was useful to be able to daisy-chain THROUGH a Tivo with the coax output..)

3) Not much of an issue anymore IMHO, now that we have more tuners and a real free space indicator, but supposedly it does away with the "need to not touch the remote for X hour(s)" timer to record new suggestions. Since I was one of those who used suggestions as a free space indicator, it mattered.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #444
captain5

Arrow Romio Feedback

I just got my Romio today and I would love to give some feedback on it but when I tried to set it up the remote wouldn't work right. I could hit select and it would work but the left and right buttons would not.
Spent an hour on the phone with tech support and to his credit he tried everything to get it working again but no luck Have to send me a new one.
What really chaps my a$$ is that they can't upgrade to one day shipping on a warranty replacement. Only one day shipping with new purchase. Since I didn't want to be without TV for 5 or 6 days, already took my cable box back to Comcast and got my M-CARD, how dumb was that, I had to spring for a new remote AND overnight shipping. Ouch.
So far not real thrilled with how this is starting out.
OK rant over.
captain5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #445
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain5 View Post
I just got my Romio today and I would love to give some feedback on it but when I tried to set it up the remote wouldn't work right. I could hit select and it would work but the left and right buttons would not.
Spent an hour on the phone with tech support and to his credit he tried everything to get it working again but no luck Have to send me a new one.
What really chaps my a$$ is that they can't upgrade to one day shipping on a warranty replacement. Only one day shipping with new purchase. Since I didn't want to be without TV for 5 or 6 days, already took my cable box back to Comcast and got my M-CARD, how dumb was that, I had to spring for a new remote AND overnight shipping. Ouch.
So far not real thrilled with how this is starting out.
OK rant over.
It might have been better to just pick up a cheap universal remote to use while waiting for the warranty replacement. The TiVo definition for remotes are the same for the older and new TiVos. My Harmony Remote, for example, works on both my Series 3 -5 TiVos.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #446
captain5

Romio Feedback

I asked about that. It will only work after the initial setup. Then I can change to my Harmony. Great idea though.
captain5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #447
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Why would it only work after setup? The IR codes for the arrows and select button are the same the whole time, including during setup.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #448
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Why would it only work after setup? The IR codes for the arrows and select button are the same the whole time, including during setup.
One of the big new features of the Roamio is that it has a RF remote, as opposed to IR-only. If the TiVo requires the RF to work FIRST, the IR-capability of other TiVo IR remotes, as well as universal IR remotes is useless.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #449
apw2607

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain5 View Post
I asked about that. It will only work after the initial setup. Then I can change to my Harmony. Great idea though.
That's not true. I never even took the new tivo remote out the box to set up my Roamio. Just used my universal sony remote which is IR
apw2607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #450
Rose4uKY

We got our Roamio yesterday after only having the Premiere for 3 weeks which were returning. We know there's lots of better features. We went from Premiere 2TB to the Roamio Plus. The Netflix is better it's like the Netflix app on my my boyfriends Roku. Watching Netflix on the Premiere it would mess up and try to find a signal and it kept going in and out. But it sure is fast. I like how it has what to watch now and you can see all movies that are on now. The remote being RF my boyfriend likes that it's hard for me to get used to the small remote and today it took me a minute to find record.

Only thing I don't like is the Remote and my old Series 3 didn't do this neither but I have a Samsung Home theater surround system and I wish the Tivo remote would mute and do volume for it. Tivo tried helping me today but it didn't work they said I need to buy there learning remote but I dont want to do that. But so far we love the Roamio did have problems with TWC and getting it paired and they wanted to send someone out. We just took the card out of the Premiere and put it in the Roamio and then after getting them to try pairing one more time it finally worked. We like it a lot and I love having the minis. I'm sure there won't be any conflicts this fall between both of us recording shows.

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote