TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
JeffW907

DNLA Support for Roamio and Mini

TiVo needs to add native DNLA support for both the Roamio and Mini. There are clearly a number TiVo customers that what this supported and have had to rely on 3rd party products like pytivo and streambaby. DNLA simply needs to be natively supported.
JeffW907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
tomhorsley

Forget DNLA with all the strange limitation on format and resolution, how about support for mounting network filesystems and playing media from them? That would be far more generally useful. Or lacking that, how about support for browsing a local network web server with links to video files? Both of these are simpler to operate and more generally useful than a DNLA server.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhorsley View Post
Forget DNLA with all the strange limitation on format and resolution, how about support for mounting network filesystems and playing media from them?
Are you the one that I explained this to before?

The format limitations of DLNA make it easier to implement. Specifically, it could be used with hardware-accelerated video playback -- which is the way all video playback has been done, in all models of TiVo so far.

If you want support for a broader selection of formats, at some point, you're looking at software-based playback. And the TiVos -- probably including the Roamios, even though they're more powerful than ever -- just aren't powerful enough to do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:08 AM   #4
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
If you want support for a broader selection of formats, at some point, you're looking at software-based playback. And the TiVos -- probably including the Roamios, even though they're more powerful than ever -- just aren't powerful enough to do that.
Or a PC based server that did real time transcoding. Although if you had that DLNA would still work because the server could just transcode to DLNA compliant formats.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:26 AM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Or a PC based server that did real time transcoding.
Well, we already have those. Presumably tomhorsley doesn't like them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Scooby Doo

Wouldn't it now be possible to build an IOS/Android app that supported DNLA and that output to Tivo Roamio using DIAL. Maybe someone has already done this?
Scooby Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
tatergator1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
Wouldn't it now be possible to build an IOS/Android app that supported DNLA and that output to Tivo Roamio using DIAL. Maybe someone has already done this?
You're confusing what DIAL is. It stands for "DIscovery And Launch." DIAL is a method of passing commands between two clients that have a same App available on board. To send a Youtube video from your mobile Youtube App to the Tivo, the Tivo has to have a Youtube App as well. Same thing with Netflix. Only apps that support DIAL, and are available on the Roamio as well, possess the ability to "output" whats on the the mobile app to the Tivo. Even then, there's no "output"; DIAL allows the mobile app to tell the Tivo the following: launch Youtube, then play this video. No video is sent from the phone to the Tivo.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
poppagene
User

DLNA Support for tivo would be appreciated.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Scooby Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
You're confusing what DIAL is. It stands for "DIscovery And Launch." DIAL is a method of passing commands between two clients that have a same App available on board. To send a Youtube video from your mobile Youtube App to the Tivo, the Tivo has to have a Youtube App as well. Same thing with Netflix. Only apps that support DIAL, and are available on the Roamio as well, possess the ability to "output" whats on the the mobile app to the Tivo. Even then, there's no "output"; DIAL allows the mobile app to tell the Tivo the following: launch Youtube, then play this video. No video is sent from the phone to the Tivo.
I don't think DIAL needs an app to be installed on the Tivo. Doesn't it just provide a link to an html5 web service? I understand the content still needs to be hosted somewhere, but presumably this could be done from the phone. I think this is more or less how Airplay works.

My larger point is that Tivo has wisely committed to an open HTML5 platform for the Roamio. It's probably most realistic to expect future platform enhancements will come from this direction. And at the risk of being shouted at by the faithful, isn't DLNA sort of end-of-life anyway?
Old 09-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
I don't think DIAL needs an app to be installed on the Tivo. Doesn't it just provide a link to an html5 web service? I understand the content still needs to be hosted somewhere, but presumably this could be done from the phone. I think this is more or less how Airplay works.
It needs a companion app to work properly. However someone did discover a hack that allows you to launch a blank copy of Opera and play pretty much any HTML5 video. So we may see ways to do this sooner or later.

That being said with the Opera TV Store coming I'm sure we'll see some sort of DLNA app on TiVo sooner or later. I think I read somewhere that someone is already working on an HTML5 version of Plex that would probably work.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #11
Scooby Doo

Quote:
It needs a companion app to work properly
You sure about that? Chromecast has an SDK that let's any IOS or Android app stream to it. I don't think they are installing a companion app on the Chromecast every time are they?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Chromecast uses a proprietary API beyond the DIAL spec. Also that universal casting feature only works on a PC at the moment, via the special Chrome browser extension.

The actual DIAL spec is intended to launch an app on the playback device and then send it a URL for it to play. It provides minor control features (pause, play, seek) but that's about it.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #13
Scooby Doo

Quote:
The Chromecast uses a proprietary API beyond the DIAL spec.
Google may be doing something not in the standard, but I don't think they are keeping it proprietary (i.e. if Tivo or another device manufacturer wants to support Chromecast apps then I suspect they can). The Chromecast app ecosystem is small at the moment: I think it's just Youtube and Netflix. But if it becomes large then I would think Tivo would be better to jump on this bandwagon rather than foster its own ecosystem.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo is not using their own ecosystem. They are using the Opera TV Store platform. It's still relatively new, and small, but there are a couple of Sony TVs and BD players that use it so it's not specific to TiVo. It's also HTML5 based which makes it compatible with pretty much every major app out there.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
Scooby Doo

Quote:
TiVo is not using their own ecosystem. They are using the Opera TV Store platform. It's still relatively new, and small, but there are a couple of Sony TVs and BD players that use it so it's not specific to TiVo. It's also HTML5 based which makes it compatible with pretty much every major app out there.
Oh OK, I didn't know that. So how does all this play out? Is there going to be a battle of ecosystems (opera vs google vs apple vs ?). Will some ecosystems sign up exclusive content to differentiate? I hope it plays out to the benefit of consumers. I have no interest in getting a Chromecast because it has no content I can't already get on my Tivo. I'd love to be able to remove my Apple TV and go Tivo exclusive, but I would need access to the content on the ITunes Store.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Since Opera and Google are both based on HTML5 their apps should be compatible, with little to no porting effort. Apple is a whole other beast. They not only have their own programming language (objective C) but they have strict style guidelines for Apple TV apps so that they all have a similar look/feel.

I have a Chromecast. The functionality of the Netflix and YouTube apps are identical to what the Roamio can do. The only advantage the Chromecast has is the Chrome tab mirroring from a PC, but that actually does a real time screen capture so it requires a pretty beefy PC to work. My laptop is too old to handle it, so the Chromecast is basically no use to me. But with the Netflix credit it was only $11 so it wasn't a big expense either.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
Praesto

Just add Plex

If the Roamio adds the ability for Plex (or another equivalent local streaming app) then I can justify having one beside every TV in the house. I dont want a box for TV and another (currently using Roku) for streaming.

Here's hoping!
Praesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
bradleys
It'll be fine....

A year ago I read an article about DNLA service coming to TiVo. Has anyone heard any rumors either pro or con?

http://www.v-net.tv/tivo-customers-c...h-access-dlna/

http://youtu.be/jUv640u_MzI

Maybe this was dropped for DIAL and stream, not sure...
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 10-23-2013 at 08:03 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #19
Dan203
Super Moderator

Din't know what ever happened to that. Honestly DLNA is relatively simple, I'm not sure why TiVo hasn't just created an app for it itself. Just basic DLNA with no on the fly transcoding or other fancy features is about as simple as you can get