TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Shanezam203

Help me get or not get a Smart TV

Hi all, I am not a TV junkie but I do LOVE my Tivo and Apple TV. I have 3 Panasonic 50" Plasma's in my house and a 42" Samsung in my home office. For some reason recently I've gotten the bug for a 70-75" TV and I am having a hard time justifying it. (my brother got a 110" projector and it is nice but I am not a fan of projectors myself)

I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma HDTV, it was $500 3-4 years ago & there is nothing wrong with it. I have a Klipsch sound bar below it and I am VERY impressed with the quality of the soundbar & wireless sub. The picture quality on my TV is "ok" so really I would be upgrading to a better Processor from 120 to 240+ & then 20-25" which is 50% more screen size than I have now.
There's something uneasy about my sound bar costing more than my TV now.

Not many of the Smart TV features are jumping out at me because my Tivo and Apple TV have Netflix and other programs I often use, are there any advantages to the Smart TV I am overlooking?
I like the Split Screen some of the Samsung models support Web browsing & TV/ Netflix, I thought that was pretty cool. (but I often browse the web on an iPad)

The 3 models I liked were below:
  • Samsung 75" UN75F6300 $2,999
  • Sharp 70" LC70LE857U $2,999
  • Sharp 70" LC70LE750u

So besides the size, 20-25 extra inches going from a 50" tv, is there anything else to consider? I'd have NO other use for my current 50" Plasma so I would put it on Craigslist & hope to sell it for $100 or so... anything else to consider?
Shanezam203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Davelnlr_

Depends on the apps you want, and the ones included on the TV. I personally saved the money premium for the smart TV, and bought a "dumb" TV, and use a Vizio Co-Star and Sony BluRay both which comes with apps. Roku's are cheap and popular too. Co-Star lets you visit the app store and download new apps. I just could not justify spending extra to have a subpar duplication on yet another device.

Now, if you dont already have any other streaming devices, just compare the stand alone ones for price and features against the added cost of the TV with it built in.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Worf

Don't bother with the smart TV apps. They're limited, they won't be updated, and a PITA to use for the most part. Plus, in 5 years, they'd probably quit working, even th ough the set is fine.

For me, a "Smart TV" is a $0 feature. If the TV I want has it, fine. But if I had to choose, the availability of "Smart" stuff won't be the deciding factor.

And I would check with the AVSForum guys on their reviews of the sets you're interested in. Just be careful because those guys are super picky and will fault anything for the most minor of issues.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 AM   #4
tenthplanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanezam203 View Post

Hi all, I am not a TV junkie but I do LOVE my Tivo and Apple TV. I have 3 Panasonic 50" Plasma's in my house and a 42" Samsung in my home office. For some reason recently I've gotten the bug for a 70-75" TV and I am having a hard time justifying it. (my brother got a 110" projector and it is nice but I am not a fan of projectors myself)

I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma HDTV, it was $500 3-4 years ago & there is nothing wrong with it. I have a Klipsch sound bar below it and I am VERY impressed with the quality of the soundbar & wireless sub. The picture quality on my TV is "ok" so really I would be upgrading to a better Processor from 120 to 240+ & then 20-25" which is 50% more screen size than I have now.

Not many of the Smart TV features are jumping out at me because my Tivo and Apple TV have Netflix and other programs I often use, are there any advantages to the Smart TV I am overlooking?
I like the Split Screen some of the Samsung models support Web browsing & TV/ Netflix, I thought that was pretty cool. (but I often browse the web on an iPad)

The 3 models I liked were below:
  • Samsung 75" UN75F6300 $2,999
  • Sharp 70" LC70LE857U $2,999
  • Sharp 70" LC70LE750u

So besides the size, 20-25 extra inches going from a 50" tv, is there anything else to consider? I'd have NO other use for my current 50" Plasma so I would put it on Craigslist & hope to sell it for $100 or so... anything else to consider?
Other than the largest Samsung and Panasonic plasmas will have better picture quality than the LCD's, any higher end Tv will have Smart Tv features. You already have the Apple TV, so it boils down to which picture you like better Samsung of Sharp. Samsungs app set up is a little more fun if they makes a difference. Don't feel bad about the soundbar, I have a preamp that cost as much as my TV, just enjoy the good sound.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
takeshi

Quote:
It's really a subjective matter. I wouldn't spend more on a TV just because it's a smart TV. Our main TV is a smart TV but that's only because those features came along with the other desired features. It's really your call as to whether the smart TV functionality matters or not.

Quote:
Price is just price. It's all about one's priorities. My main speakers and the amp needed to drive them also cost more than my TV. I assess each component on its own merit and relative pricing never factors in for me. YMMV, of course. A high end soundbar can certainly cost more than many TV's out there.
takeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Shanezam203

Thanks for the info so far, I am less concerned with the Smart TV features as I am size and picture quality. Right now I have a Plasma, is it safe to say an LED will have better picture in my basement?

I think I have only 120hz refresh rate, upgrading that to 240 is where I will see some improvements correct?
Old 08-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Davelnlr_

Very subjective. Most people I know, and most reviews recommend, turning OFF the 240hz feature, as it causes what is called a "Soap Opera Effect"...very unnatural looking video. A 120hz set is more than adequate, as it will be able to do 1080p/24.

I have the Sharp 60" LCD, and it has a super picture, but I really wish now, that I had bought a 60" Plasma, as the current crop has so much better contrast in the lower priced sets, even compared with the higher priced LED/LCDs. Only the select few LED sets with area backlighting, where the set can turn off the backlight in areas of the screen where more contrast is required, can compare...and those are not very common. Most use edge backlighting.

Go for the largest screen you can afford/will fit that has the PQ you find the best. I sit 11 feet from my TV, so according to the charts, the minimum size tv for a 1080p resolution is 60" for me. Any smaller, and there would be no discernible difference between 720 and 1080 for me.

In the reviews, I believe is was the Panasonic Plasma that blew all the LCD sets out of the water, and was considerably less expensive as well. I dont see that on your list, but you might want to check it out.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
Shanezam203

My recliner is 12 feet away from my TV on the wall, how can I calculate best screen size for my 18x18 boot basement?

Thanks,
Shane
Old 08-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
tenthplanet

Quote:
My recliner is 12 feet away from my TV on the wall, how can I calculate best screen size for my 18x18 boot basement?

Thanks,
Shane
Depends on your habits. You can look a tables and numbers. Or you can do it the easy way. If you were in a movie theater and you were the only one in it where would you sit. The closer you sit the more you want to be pulled into what's going on. You're already used to 50 inch set at 12 feet and are thinking of going bigger. Take a look at a 70 inch set and make note of how far back where you reach a comfortable distance. After that it's easy.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #10
tenthplanet

Quote:
Thanks for the info so far, I am less concerned with the Smart TV features as I am size and picture quality. Right now I have a Plasma, is it safe to say an LED will have better picture in my basement?

I think I have only 120hz refresh rate, upgrading that to 240 is where I will see some improvements correct?
Plasma does better in controlled lighting. LED is better in daylight situations.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #11
Davelnlr_

Here is the chart: http://referencehometheater.com/2013...4k-calculator/

For 12 feet, with a 70" set, you will start noticing artifacts on a 720p channel, but its ideal for 1080. YMMV
Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
No, plasmas generally are CHEAPER *and* look better.

The one slight downside is that they used to use a lot more power.. nowadays they only use a bit more power.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #13
Worf

Quote:

Thanks,
Shane
You need a bigger screen - for HDTV, there's a certain distance after which you cannot resolve the extra definition - it s, effectively, a "retina" display.

Too close and you see pixels. Too far and the extra pixels are useless.

Surprisingly, Wikipedia has a good article on it.

Usually, 1.2-1.6x the diagonal size is the "recommended" range to see the stuff at 1080p. Further if you want to want to see lower res content (e.g., 720p), even further still if it's plain old SDTV.

You might want to move those seats in a bit closer.
Worf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #14
Shanezam203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
You might want to move those seats in a bit closer.
Or get a bigger TV.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #15
HerronScott

We bought our 65" Panasonic plasma a few years back over an equivalent LCD/LED at the time for the better blacks and wider viewing angle. Have LCD/LED's improved in those areas?

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #16
Shanezam203

I'm happy with the picture quality of my Plasma, I just would like something bigger than 50 inch. I think a 70-75" would look great in my basement on the wall. :-)
Old 09-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Dumb TV's are the way to go. You can't be sure the TV manufacturer is ever going to update the apps. You can be reasonably sure Apple TV/Roku will. Tivo is a crapshoot for apps. It's easy to justify $99 for a new Apple TV when your "smart" TV doesn't have the app you want in two years.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
monkeydust

I really enjoyed my Samsung Smart TV with its Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Netflix, and AllShare streaming from my PC. But, now that I have a Mini on that TV, the only reason I use the Smart TV functionality is for Amazon Prime (which I hope will show up on my Mini someday). I use Netflix on my Mini, transfer shows to my Series 5 to view on my Mini with pyTivo, and no need for Hulu Plus as I have plenty of shows recorded on my Series 5/Elite to view on my Mini.

My preference is to have one device that will do everything so I don't have to switch between inputs/controllers. Hopefully Tivo will be that one device soon (the Premier line was certainly oversold and under-delivered).
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #19
Shanezam203

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
Dumb TV's are the way to go. You can't be sure the TV manufacturer is ever going to update the apps. You can be reasonably sure Apple TV/Roku will. Tivo is a crapshoot for apps. It's easy to justify $99 for a new Apple TV when your "smart" TV doesn't have the app you want in two years.
That's my mindset, I have 3 Apple TV's in my house & love them.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
buscuitboy

Yea, I agree that a "smart TV" shouldn't be a major factor when getting a new HDTV. I got a Panasonic Plasma in 2012 that has some smart features. Back then, it was sort of a factor for me, but if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't really worry about it as there are so many better options to hook up to a HDTV these days.

Since I got my 50" Plasma, I have gotten a Panasonic Blue Ray player, TiVo Premieres, WDTV media player and an MX Android TV box that ALL have some sort of "smart" features. In some cases, much better features too.

I think the ONLY advantage of having smart features built into a TV is that the the TV's remote can easily be used to control it all. However, if you have a universal remote, this can probably be accomplished and if you have some sort of cable box (TiVo or Cable Co), then you are mostr likely gonna have to have an additional remote anyway.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote