TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
monkeydust

How much should I be paying per month on my Elite?

I have a Mini w/lifetime, S5 Plus w/lifetime, and an Elite/monthly. I recently cancelled my monthly on my S3 (as it was replaced by my S5). I was paying about $13.86 a month x 2 for my S3 and Elite. Next month, my price being charged for my Elite is $16.04 (although when I cancelled my S3 service they said they'd suspend my payments on my Elite for 2 months which shows on on their website but I still got charged today).

So, if the Mini and S5 count as subscriptions w/their lifetimes, should I be paying less than what I am? Confused about how the MSD actually is supposed to work.
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

MSD monthly is $12.95/mo. With tax that would probably be the $13.86 you've been paying. You should still qualify for that. Are the Roamio and Mini on the same account? If so call them and request the MSD price for the Elite
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
monkeydust

Yes, they are all on the same account. I thought the price increase was incorrect as I was paying $13.86x2 for my s3 and elite before I had added the mini+lifetime or s5+lifetime to the account. I just wasn't sure if lifetime was considered a "service" that would count for MSD. So, for three active services I should be paying $12.99+tax? What does it take to get $9.99+tax MSD?

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

It looks like the Elite is being billed at the regular rate of $14.99 and also being charged some sales tax.
The lifetime on the Mini is not a qualifier for MSD so it means nothing to any other subscriptions.
Did you pay $499.99 for lifetime on the Roamio? If so, then the Elite is eligible for the lower MSD rate, but that rate is not implemented automatically on Tivo's end. To get the MSD rate (if eligible) you have to call Tivo and have it changed, which means cancelling your current subscription and re-subscribing at the MSD rate with a new 1 year commitment.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Got a clearer picture now - It looks like your S3 was at full price which made the Elite eligible for MSD which is actually $0.04 more than the full price on the S3. If you cancelled the S3 before you got the Roamio, the Elite would immediately lose it's MSD rate and revert to the full price rate.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydust View Post
What does it take to get $9.99+tax MSD?

Thanks for your help!
The $9.95 MSD rate is only for S3 and older Tivos.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

How did you get MSD on both of your TiVos before you got the Roamio? Did you have another TiVo with lifetime? Did you sell that TiVo?

If so did you pay MSD lifetime for the Roamio? Or full price? ($399 vs $499)

If you paid MSD lifetime price on the Roamio, and sold whatever TiVo you had before that qualified you for MSD, then you're going to get charged full price for the Premiere because you no longer have a qualifying device on your account.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
monkeydust

Before I bought the Mini and S5 I was paying $13.90 & $13.86 a month for my S3 and Elite. I bought the Mini and add lifetime to that around the time it came out. I bought the S5 the day of release and added the lifetime the next day. I called Tivo several days later and cancelled the service on the S3.

So, if the mini/lifetime has no affect on my MSD, then I am considered having 2 active subscriptions instead of 3? If I had gone with monthly instead of lifetime on mini, would that count for MSD?

This is all very confusing!
Old 09-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
The $9.95 MSD rate is only for S3 and older Tivos.
Thank you.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
How did you get MSD on both of your TiVos before you got the Roamio? Did you have another TiVo with lifetime? Did you sell that TiVo?

If so did you pay MSD lifetime for the Roamio? Or full price? ($399 vs $499)

If you paid MSD lifetime price on the Roamio, and sold whatever TiVo you had before that qualified you for MSD, then you're going to get charged full price for the Premiere because you no longer have a qualifying device on your account.
I've never had a lifetime until I bought one for my mini($150) (and then my s5 over a week ago for $399). I've owned a S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, and mini. I've never had more than one active at a time until I bought the Elite (March 2012) to use in the bedroom with the S3 (bought 2006) in the family room. Then I had those 2 active at the same time for over a year(monthly) and then added the mini/lifetime when it came out . Then when the S5 came out, I replaced my S3 with that one (s5 bought w/lifetime added days before I cancelled the S3 service).

Last edited by monkeydust : 09-01-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've never had a lifetime until I bought one for my mini($150) (and then my s5 over a week ago for $399). I've owned a S1, S2, S3, S4, S5, and mini. I've never had more than one active at a time until I bought the Elite (March 2012) to use in the bedroom with the S3 (bought 2006) in the family room. Then I had those 2 active at the same time for over a year(monthly) and then added the mini/lifetime when it came out . Then when the S5 came out, I replaced my S3 with that one (s5 bought w/lifetime added days before I cancelled the S3 service).
OK I think I know what happened. Back in the S3 days the pricing for monthly service was $12.95/mo for full price and $9.95/mo for MSD. After the Premiere was released it was raised to $14.95/mo and $12.95/mo, but older units were grandfathered into the price they were paying. So you were in fact paying full price for the S3 and then getting an MSD discount on the Premiere.

Because you paid the $399 MSD lifetime price for the Roamio it does not qualify as a full price unit. So when you canceled the S3 you no longer had a qualifying full price unit on your account and as such the Premiere jumped up to $14.95/mo
Old 09-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
monkeydust

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Guess the price is correct then.

When I cancelled the S3, they offered the $99 lifetime on that and still said $399 for lifetime on my Elite. Has anybody been offered $99 lifetime on the S4 line? I'd seriously consider it for that price but certainly not for any amount higher than that. I have a hard time using it now in comparison with the much snappier UI of the Plus/Mini. But, since the wife and kids are the main ones using the Elite now, they could suffer if I could save a few bucks.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
Dan203
Super Moderator

They haven't got there yet on the Premieres. It's going to be a year or two before we start seeing people offered $99 lifetime on a Premiere.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
unitron

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the explanation. Guess the price is correct then.

When I cancelled the S3, they offered the $99 lifetime on that and still said $399 for lifetime on my Elite. Has anybody been offered $99 lifetime on the S4 line? I'd seriously consider it for that price but certainly not for any amount higher than that. I have a hard time using it now in comparison with the much snappier UI of the Plus/Mini. But, since the wife and kids are the main ones using the Elite now, they could suffer if I could save a few bucks.
You know that if you'd taken that $99 lifetime offer on the S3 you could have sold it for $200 or more. Call them back and see if it's not too late.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
monkeydust

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You know that if you'd taken that $99 lifetime offer on the S3 you could have sold it for $200 or more. Call them back and see if it's not too late.
Eh, I'm just not much of a seller. I've got a basement full of Tivo's sitting on the shelf.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
OK I think I know what happened. Back in the S3 days the pricing for monthly service was $12.95/mo for full price and $9.95/mo for MSD. After the Premiere was released it was raised to $14.95/mo and $12.95/mo, but older units were grandfathered into the price they were paying. So you were in fact paying full price for the S3 and then getting an MSD discount on the Premiere.

Because you paid the $399 MSD lifetime price for the Roamio it does not qualify as a full price unit. So when you canceled the S3 you no longer had a qualifying full price unit on your account and as such the Premiere jumped up to $14.95/mo
That's what I said earlier, full price (12.95) on the S3 and MSD (12.99) on the Elite, so the MSD was lost when the S3 was cancelled.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #17
monkeydust

Quote:
They haven't got there yet on the Premieres. It's going to be a year or two before we start seeing people offered $99 lifetime on a Premiere.
Thanks, that's good to know. Hopefully the Fall update will address the speed issue to some extent. I'm so used to the Roamio/Mini now, that I suck at navigation on my Elite and end up somewhere I didn't want to be because of the lag. My wife was complaining of the lag too and and she accidentally clicked on the Netflix app and had to wait forever just to get out of it and navigate back to where she was trying to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
That's what I said earlier, full price (12.95) on the S3 and MSD (12.99) on the Elite, so the MSD was lost when the S3 was cancelled.
Eh, I'm just not much of a seller. I've got a basement full of Tivo's sitting on the shelf.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, that's good to know. Hopefully the Fall update will address the speed issue to some extent. I'm so used to the Roamio/Mini now, that I suck at navigation on my Elite and end up somewhere I didn't want to be because of the lag. My wife was complaining of the lag too and and she accidentally clicked on the Netflix app and had to wait forever just to get out of it and navigate back to where she was trying to go.
The lag is mainly a hardware issue, so I wouldn't expect much relief from that. Why not just replace the TiVo with another Mini? Do you need the extra tuners?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #19
monkeydust

Quote:
The lag is mainly a hardware issue, so I wouldn't expect much relief from that. Why not just replace the TiVo with another Mini? Do you need the extra tuners?
The main reason is there are no profiles or custom folders and I don't want my wife's and daughters crap to wade through on my Tivo.

Just installed kmttg today and let's look at what is on their tivo...
1) My 2 year old daughters shows: About 80 disney channel programs or disney movies
2) My wife and step-daughters shows: Bridezillas, Kourtney and Kim Take Miami, Killer Karaoke, Hoarders, Dance Moms, Catfish, and Keeping up with the Kardashians.

My daughters programs are one thing but I get kinda aggravated about the shows my wife and her daughter watch. I really want those programs as far as possible from my shows.

If we do get some sort of organization option, I may add more HD space to my Plus and get another Mini w/lifetime. I'm happy with the Plus and Mini hardware and feel comfortable getting another one w/lifetime (although my only real hesitation is their support for 4k TVs)
Old 09-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

I feel ya. My wife has her own TiVo for the same reason. If they ever add profiles then I'll let her merge.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #21
monkeydust

Quote:
I feel ya. My wife has her own TiVo for the same reason. If they ever add profiles then I'll let her merge.
Yeah, I'm afraid her low brow shows will corrupt my programs.

But, I at least hope the Netflix app on my Elite will improve somewhat from the experience it has now. Plus, I'd like to see an Amazon Prime app show up that is functional as well. The menu lag you can get used to if you have patience. The Netflix app is just broken and it is a tossup from trying to use it vs find the TV remote, AV remote, PS3 controller and switch over to the PS3 to load its Netflix app up.

Last edited by monkeydust : 09-01-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #22
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

At one point S3 pricing was $6.95 a month. I had that on an S3 box. I'm not sure when I got it but I think it was a TiVoHD box from 2007. When I got a launch premiere it was transferred to that Premiere. Which is the only two tuner Premiere I kept because there was not much of a resale value without lifetime service. So I'll keep it on $6.95 a month unless TiVo offers me $99 lifetime on it or tries to raise the price on me.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #23
Dan203
Super Moderator

$6.95 was the MSD price. Full price at the time was $12.95/mo. You have to have at least one full price TiVo on your account, monthly or lifetime, to get MSD pricing so you must have had another TiVo at the time with lifetime?
Old 09-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
$6.95 was the MSD price. Full price at the time was $12.95/mo. You have to have at least one full price TiVo on your account, monthly or lifetime, to get MSD pricing so you must have had another TiVo at the time with lifetime?
I had three OLED S3 boxes on a three year prepaid term as my qualifier.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:21 AM   #25
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yeah they stopped that price shortly after the Premiere came out. They briefly tried a scheme where the Premiere was "free" but you had to pay $20/mo, but after that failed they switched to the current $15/mo or $13/mo MSD with lifetime jumping to $499/$399 MSD. (prior to this lifetime was only $299)
Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #26
TxDan

In July I bought a Premiere XL on Craigslist. The girl who owned it was paying monthly and had to switch to Uverse. Tivo offered her lifetime for $200, which Tivo let me have that price.

Off subject - I've been running S3's for years, got a Pro and so for it is great.
TxDan is offline   Reply With Quote