TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
ldavies

MoCA clarification

Please confirm what I believe I can accomplish. I have a TIVO Roamio Plus. I have no wired internet where I want to place it. I believe that MoCA is supposed to provide that function but needs to be set up in a room with both wired internet and coax. Is that correct? Then if I take it to the room with no wired internet but coax, I can stream via MoCA over coax? I've tried but haven't been successful in the setup but I think an earlier post addressed my problem which is that my cable TV and cable modem are provided by different providers. Before I start crawling around to find my TV input, are my assumptions correct?

Thank you - Lynne
ldavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
ldavies

I should have added that I have an Actiontec ECB2500C between the wall and the router but again, that's for my internet - I think I have to find the TV entry point. The documentation with the Actiontec is pitiful and I've not found much online that's been helpful.

Lynne
ldavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

What are you trying to stream to? You mention having a Roamio Plus, but are you trying to Stream to a Mini or are you talking about streaming to an iPad/iPhone?

In any case what you have should allow your TiVo to talk to the internet via MoCa. You need to connect that Actiontec adapter to your coax and then connect it's Ethernet port to your router. Then on the TiVo go into the network settings section and enable MoCa. It should then be able to connect to your network and out onto the internet.

If you want to add a Mini then simply plug it into the coax and enable MoCa on it. That should allow the Mini to talk to the TiVo and the internet.

If you want to stream to an iPad/iPhone then you'll need some sort of wireless for the iPad/iPhone o get on your network. Once it's on the network launch the TiVo app and it should find the TiVo. To stream I think you have to click the little gear icon and setup the Stream first, then you'll have the option to Watch on iPad when you select at show from My Shows in the app.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavies View Post
Please confirm what I believe I can accomplish. I have a TIVO Roamio Plus. I have no wired internet where I want to place it. I believe that MoCA is supposed to provide that function but needs to be set up in a room with both wired internet and coax. Is that correct? Then if I take it to the room with no wired internet but coax, I can stream via MoCA over coax? I've tried but haven't been successful in the setup but I think an earlier post addressed my problem which is that my cable TV and cable modem are provided by different providers. Before I start crawling around to find my TV input, are my assumptions correct?

Thank you - Lynne
You need a MoCa bridge placed in a room with wired internet and a coax line that connects to the coax where you want to put the roamio.
profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
What are you trying to stream to? You mention having a Roamio Plus, but are you trying to Stream to a Mini or are you talking about streaming to an iPad/iPhone?

In any case what you have should allow your TiVo to talk to the internet via MoCa. You need to connect that Actiontec adapter to your coax and then connect it's Ethernet port to your router. Then on the TiVo go into the network settings section and enable MoCa. It should then be able to connect to your network and out onto the internet.

If you want to add a Mini then simply plug it into the coax and enable MoCa on it. That should allow the Mini to talk to the TiVo and the internet.

If you want to stream to an iPad/iPhone then you'll need some sort of wireless for the iPad/iPhone o get on your network. Once it's on the network launch the TiVo app and it should find the TiVo. To stream I think you have to click the little gear icon and setup the Stream first, then you'll have the option to Watch on iPad when you select at show from My Shows in the app.
I don't believe he wants to stream to anywhere. He is simply trying to setup his roamio in a room without wired internet.
profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Surrealone
TiVoOnThEmInD

Also dont forget to add the POE filter. This a great site for MoCa questions
http://mocablog.net/2009/04/09/setti...-in-your-home/
Surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by profet View Post
I don't believe he wants to stream to anywhere. He is simply trying to setup his roamio in a room without wired internet.
In that case it should work fine. The Actiontec adapter he mentioned is a MoCa bridge. So if he connects that to his router and to the coax then the TiVo should be able to hop on the network.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
KCAC

I think the answer to my question below, might be what he is looking for. I have Fios with an Actiontec router and it appears the router has MOCA builtin already. Here is the ? and answer from the help forum.

TiVo?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently have Fios with 1 DVR and 3 cable boxes and considering the new Roamio Pro. I have some questions if someone can help.

My main TV room with the DVR is not near my FIOS wireless router, but another TV with a cable box is right next to the router. Can I plug the TiVo Pro into the router there and use a mini and have all the functions of that box on my main TV through the mini? Or would I be better off buying a MOCA and installing it up there and using the TiVo Pro in my main TV room?

Old Today, 07:50 PM #2

mdscott

Send a message via AIM to mdscott

The basic FIOS Router (Actiontec MI424WR) has built in MoCA capability. You can use a Roamio Pro in your main room without additional hardware.

michael
KCAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

He specifically mentioned the Actiontec ECB2500C which is a MoCa/Ethernet bridge. I'm not sure exactly what he's using it for though. He says something about it being for his internet.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
speedy2
TivoAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldavies View Post
I should have added that I have an Actiontec ECB2500C between the wall and the router but again, that's for my internet - I think I have to find the TV entry point. The documentation with the Actiontec is pitiful and I've not found much online that's been helpful.

Lynne
Install your Actiontec ECB2500C next to your router. Plug your ethernet cable from your router into you Actiontec. Connect your coax line line to your Actiontec in port. Leave the Actiontec where it is. Now connect you Roamio up to the coax line in any room in the house and set the networking to MoCa network. Your Roamio should see your network and pull an IP. Thats it.
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote