TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
atotten

Thumbs down TiVo Search -scheduled maintenance

I have trying to access Tivo search for several days on my Series 3 and keep getting the message that our systems are currently unavailable,PLease check back later! ... in a cheery tone. The top of the window says scheduled maintenance. Seems suspect that this maintenance has been going on for days. Is anyone else seeing this when trying to use Tivo Search or is it just me? I have restarted the unit - no love.

Last edited by atotten : 09-02-2013 at 11:34 PM.
atotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

TiVo Search on the S3 was always listed as a beta, and it was removed completely from the Premiere even when using the SDUI. So they could be phasing it out.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
TiVo Search on the S3 was always listed as a beta, and it was removed completely from the Premiere even when using the SDUI. So they could be phasing it out.
Dan,

They took beta out of the name when they moved it to the "Find Programs" menu right under "Search by Title" (I think back in 2009). It was originally listed as a beta when it was under "Music, Photos and Showcases".

I hope they aren't phasing it out since it's a great way to find Netflix content on the S3.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Hadn't noticed. Just confirmed you aren't the only one. How many days has it been out?

I wonder if TiVo might be in the process of revamping their servers to match the Roamio's interface style?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #5
atotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I hope they aren't phasing it out since it's a great way to find Netflix content on the S3.
Scott
Ditto, and YouTube. I use it all the time. So many changes at Tivo since the wild and wooly early days. Not for the better, I'm afraid.
Not sure how many days it has been out. Noticed it a few days ago when I was looking for something.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Would Tivo really be so ridiculous as to call it temporarily unavailable due to scheduled maintenance if they actually dumped it permanently? Surely not.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

I tried a chat session with Tivo support on this issue. The rep said they were "tracking" this issue on some Series 3 devices. The first thing he wanted me to do was power-cycle the Tivo but it wasn't a convenient time for me to do that. I asked him what they had learned from their "tracking" and he had nothing. So I asked what "tracking" meant and he said collecting data from people having the problem to see if there was a common factor. Sounds like they have no idea what's going on.

I'm guessing only a few of us have this problem or there would be more posts about it here. That's not good -- not enough squeaking wheels to get the grease.

and
Old 09-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Power-cycled Tivo and problem still there. Called Tivo support. Rep said there have been enough reports of this to classify it as a "trend" for the engineers. It is reported happening on both 11.0k and 11.0m software.

If you're having this problem, please report it to Tivo support -- make that wheel squeak more! ("trend" seems like a weak word.)

and
Old 09-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
mdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I'm guessing only a few of us have this problem or there would be more posts about it here. That's not good -- not enough squeaking wheels to get the grease.
I have the issue but so rarely use TiVo Search on the S3 that have felt the need to comment. When I want to find something for the S3 to record I use the iOS App to check out rather XL4 then use TiVo remote to go to where I need to be.

Lesson is that TiVo has really screwed their connectivity - I understand limited resources but I sure feel they have not allocated optimally.

Michael
Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Thanks for making us aware of this, and we're sorry for the problem. We're investigating now and hope to fix this as soon as possible.

Best,
Stephen

TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
a68oliver

I am having the same problelm on S3 OLED and HD. The S3 OLED has been upgraded to 11.0m, not sure about the HD.

I called and got a very nice CSR who looked at the trend tracker and recorded my info.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #12
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoStephen View Post
Thanks for making us aware of this, and we're sorry for the problem. We're investigating now and hope to fix this as soon as possible.

Best,
Stephen
Thanks for that, Stephen.

What are the odds this problem could be related to the inability to download Amazon Instant Videos on my TiVo HD? I'm guessing they both depend on the mind server (mind.tivo.com).

and
Old 09-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
wwsmith

Me too:

I've been having this issue for several days as well. Telephone support said that I should consider clear program info and todo list. I did that. Six hours to run that, and overnight to reload program info, and an eventual service update, and the same problem at the end. I am happy to see that I am not the only one, though.

I am using FIOS. My original theory was that it was a problem with their DNS servers, but the technician said that TiVo search doesn't use dns.
wwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Can anyone having this problem verify that their Amazon Instant Video downloads either are, or are not, working?

and
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #15
anonymoususer

Arrow Same problem - what do and don't work

Quote:
Can anyone having this problem verify that their Amazon Instant Video downloads either are, or are not, working?
I have been seeing this for about 5 days. I use this search a lot, especially the "Explore this Show" feature on the "Program" screen.
I can confirm that the following does/doesn't work:

Amazon YES
Netflix YES
YouTube YES
Podcasts YES
Pandora YES
TiVo Search NO
KidZone/Guru NO

Same on both of my HD Tivos; one at 11.0.k and the other just went to 11.0.m
anonymoususer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #16
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Sometimes now, selecting Tivo Search gives several seconds of "Please Wait", then bounces back into the menu containing Tivo Search (bypassing the Scheduled Maintenance screen).

and
Old 09-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
mdscott

Quote:
Sometimes now, selecting Tivo Search gives several seconds of "Please Wait", then bounces back into the menu containing Tivo Search (bypassing the Scheduled Maintenance screen).
Well that is progress of a sort.

Also interesting to me me was that I was shown an HDUI screen informing me that my Aspect Ration set as 4:3 or 4:3 smart should be changed to 16:9 before using TiVo Search... or would I prefer Swivel Search instead [Fat chance as to that]. Changing aspect ratio resulted in activity as noted by dlfl.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
TiVoStephen
formerly TiVoOpsMgr

Hi folks,

We are very sorry for the problems. We believe the issue is now resolved (both for Search and for KidZone). Please let me know if you see any additional problems.

Best regards,
Stephen

TiVoStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Tivo Search working for me now.

and
Old 09-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
dlfl
Cranky old novice

And simultaneously, pyTivo pushes are now working.

and
Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #21
wwsmith

Mine is fixed too. Can you shed some light on the root cause, please?
wwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 PM   #22
davidwright44

Tivo Search- scheduled maintenance.

I experienced everything mentioned in this thread for the last 5 days....it started the day that my series 3 supposedly updated its software last week...that may be related to the source of the problem.....like you all, it is now working as of this afternoon,,,,it was not working this morning.
davidwright44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #23
anonymoususer

Note Problem resolved

Problem also resolved for me sometime this afternoon. NOTE: when it was down you also could not get to the selector to change back to Swivel-Search on the Tivo Central/Find Programs/Search screen so most search was down completely.
anonymoususer is offline   Reply With Quote