TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
aristoBrat

From multiple TiVos to one Roamio + Minis?

Was wondering if others replacing multiple recording TiVos with a single Roamio + Minis had any thoughts about what they'd do if the Roamio ever goes down.

Personally, I've gone from:

A) two Series 3 OLEDs + two Premieres to
B) one Premiere XL 4 + one Premiere + two Minis to
C) one Roamio Pro + three Minis

I'm excited about only having to pay one cable card fee + not having to pay the "multi-outlet" fee, and I'm excited about one central box for all of the Season Passes.

But I've now engineered a solution where if the Pro ever goes down, there will be zero TV in the house until the Pro gets replaced. While I'm fine with that, I'm fairly sure my roommate would kill me.

I bought my Pro from Best Buy, so my thoughts were to either get the BBY warranty (because I hear they do immediate replacements, but I have no personal experience with that), or to keep one the old TiVos from B) <above>.

Anyhow, just curious if anyone else was in the same situation? Would the Roamio going down cause hate and discontent within your house? What's your plan?

Thanks for the thoughts.
aristoBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
TC25D

There's no arguing with your conclusion that losing the Roamio = no TV until it is replaced AND the CableCARD is re-paired, which for some people, would take longer than replacing the Roamio. There are multiple solutions;

1. Keep one of your Tivos as a spare - Does Tivo drop a device if it doesn't phone home every so often?
2. Keep a spare hard drive for the Roamio - A less expensive alternative to replacing the Roamio which assumes the likely failure point will be the hard drive and would also require the CableCARD re-pairing.
3. Use an existing Tivo instead of one of the Minis - You bought a Mini you wont use.
TC25D is offline   Reply With Quote