TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #31
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

And then Hank, almost gleeful at the thought of Walt whacking Jesse (on camera)!

Quite a show when the character the most people have reason to root for is the junkie murderer...
Old 09-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #32
markymark_ctown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
They listened to Badger & Skinny Pete for an hour, talking about Babylon 5. :P

Greg
You mean Beaver
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #33
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Quite a show when the character the most people have reason to root for is the junkie murderer...
Do "most people" root for Jesse? I certainly do not. I know there are some vocal people who really like Jesse despite all his moral failings and screwups that Walt had to save him from.

Maybe we need a survey to see if "most people" are rooting for Jesse? I'm rooting for bad things to happen to Jesse (and Walt, and Hank).
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #34
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
Part of me laments "if ONLY that bald guy wasn't there waiting for his kid! A misunderstanding!! Walt could have tried justifying it not being a deadly poison, and we could have seen that exchange!" but then I remembered Jessie was wearing a wire.
Same thought here.

I would have liked to see Jesse get away from Hank, as he walked away from Walt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I was a bit surprised by it, too. It didn't ring quite true for me.

I also felt cheated out of seeing Hank bring Gomie up to speed. That could have been a good scene for both actors.

I'm not sure how I felt about this episode, actually. Though the first scene, with Walt searching his home for Jesse, was excellent. For a moment there I thought he'd find Jesse dead, self-inflicted.

Also: was there some special significance to the CD in Saul's car? I didn't quite follow that.
I thought we were going to hear a gun shot and then another one and then go to a commercial break.

I did like how they switched from Walt to Jesse's point of view and storyline to explain why the house wasn't in flames.

Good episode but it did go by so quick.

Man, Jesse looks a wreck.

And I have to say the whole "old Yeller" bit had me chuckling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #35
GoPackGo

Marie's therapist, Dave, looked like he was piecing together who Marie was talking about. He had some recognition when she mentioned the blackjack winnings.
GoPackGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #36
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Marie's therapist, Dave, looked like he was piecing together who Marie was talking about. He had some recognition when she mentioned the blackjack winnings.
Is this the first we have seen him or knew that she was seeing a therapist?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #37
GoPackGo

The slow zoom out reveal of the Hello Kitty phone playing Walt's message, along with the whole surveillance scene at the end, reminded me of The Conversation.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #38
GoPackGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post

Is this the first we have seen him or knew that she was seeing a therapist?
First time we have seen Dave. Not the first time we have heard of her therapist. Dave has been mentioned several times in the past.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:45 PM   #39
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

everyone wants Jesse dead!!!

Skyler
Hank
Walt

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #40
GoPackGo

I get the feeling that Skyler will be the one to kill Jesse.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:32 AM   #41
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

It seems the last innocent person we have left is Walter Junior. I wonder if we see him corrupted over the last 4 episodes. Corrupted...or innocent bystander that gets caught in the crossfire. Either way it cannot end well for young Flynn. At least he got to enjoy the muscle car.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:45 AM   #42
getreal
postcrastinator

For the plaza scene I expected Walt to have the Radio Shack device that Saul showed him in the desert when Walt was checking for bugs/GPS units on his car. Walt would've known that Jesse was bugged.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #43
Beryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post

Do "most people" root for Jesse? I certainly do not. I know there are some vocal people who really like Jesse despite all his moral failings and screwups that Walt had to save him from.

Maybe we need a survey to see if "most people" are rooting for Jesse? I'm rooting for bad things to happen to Jesse (and Walt, and Hank).
I'm rooting for Jesse because he appears to be the only character to have repented of his sins. I didn't like him in the first couple of seasons but when he didn't want to take the money after the kid was killed in the desert, I officially became a fan.

I used to be a Skylar supporter but she can meet her end also.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:31 AM   #44
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
I'm rooting for Jesse because he appears to be the only character to have repented of his sins.
In his typical, worthless manner, I suppose you could say he has. But it is more like he is feeling sorry for himself than that he has seriously repented. Jesse certainly has not taken responsibility for what he has done, or made a prolonged effort at restitution. And he continues to make bad choices. Instead of throwing the money out on the street, he could have donated it to charities of his choice, or even started his own charity and worked hard at it (for street children involved in drugs, maybe?). Jesse is still taking drugs. He would have burned Walt's house down if Hank did not stop him -- which would have been a pretty despicable thing to do, considering that it also affects Skylar and the children (not just Walt).

Jesse could have turned himself in and gone to jail for all the laws he has broken. But he has not done that. He does not seriously think he is responsible for most of the terrible things he has done. Somehow Jesse blames Walt for everything, instead of taking responsibility for the many things that Jesse himself has done.

Last edited by john4200 : 09-02-2013 at 01:36 AM.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #45
Numb And Number2

No weed! Go insane. Bald guy at two o'clock! Go insane.
Numb And Number2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #46
jkeegan

Quote:
I would have liked to see Jesse get away from Hank, as he walked away from Walt.
Agreed!! And if he tried, he probably could have got away - they can't really call for backup!

Quote:
I thought we were going to hear a gun shot and then another one and then go to a commercial break.
You mean at the beginning in the bedroom? Me too!! Then I thought maybe just one shot. We got none.

Quote:
I did like how they switched from Walt to Jesse's point of view and storyline to explain why the house wasn't in flames.
Once again, agreed. That would have felt very unsatisfying not having seen it.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #47
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Can we just talk about something else?

Ok, last week you were upset about the new parking rules..

LOL

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 09-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #48
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmeeker View Post
everyone wants Jesse dead!!!

Skyler
Hank
Walt

Not me. I'm simultaneously rooting for Walt and Jesse foremost, then on the rest of the spectrum going from rooting for to rooting against, it's Skyler, then Walt Jr, Saul and Huell in there somewhere, and at the bottom is Hank and Marie, Todd, Uncle Jack & Crew. Badger and Skinny Pete go somewhere above Hank and Marie. Gomez is around Hank's level.

(That's what I let my conscious mind think. I'm trying not to plan out the ending too much because I want to be surprised by it and go along for the ride.. I'll accept any and every person dying if it makes for an insanely awesome episode that makes the whole series and has me loving it (even if sad)).

But who am I consciously rooting for? Walt and Jesse together.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 09-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #49
jkeegan

I just saw your message again and realized you didn't mean that everyone HERE wants Jesse dead and Skyler too etc, but that you meant everyone on the SHOW wants him dead.

Doh.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 09-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #50
jkeegan

By the way, at least in this episode, it seemed that everyone else (except Walt Jr) was breaking bad more than Walt.. Skyler and Saul advocate murdering Jesse. Hank sends Jesse in knowing ahead of time he could die and he's fine with that (and Gomez goes along with it).

Jesse rats Walt out, which isn't necessarily becoming more bad on the spectrum, but it's a betrayal. Marie blabs a bit too.

The nicest this episode were Walt, Walt Jr., and the cleaning guy who didn't take any more of Walt's money.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #51
Test

Quote:
Part of me laments "if ONLY that bald guy wasn't there waiting for his kid! A misunderstanding!! Walt could have tried justifying it not being a deadly poison, and we could have seen that exchange!" but then I remembered Jessie was wearing a wire.
Is that the luck running out or was it lucky that the bald guy was there? Jesse said he is really lucky.

Quote:
Walt is so bad at the small lies. What a huge tell - the entire gas pump story it was almost cringe-worthy it was so bad.
Just can't lie to his wife.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #52
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post

Well, that wasn't exactly what I meant...not that most people root for Jesse, but that of the people who have expressed reason to root for anybody, most have done it for Jesse. But yes, you're right, they're all bad people to varying degrees, and they're all getting worse, and I hope they all get what they deserve. Which is a kind of rooting, I suppose.

I guess I could root for Walt Jr. if he were actually doing anything worth rooting for, but really he's just a passive innocent. Otherwise, it's just shades of despicability. Which the show makes fascinating, which is its genius.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #53
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You mean at the beginning in the bedroom? Me too!! Then I thought maybe just one shot. We got none.
Yes, at the beginning, when Walt opens the door and then we see the long hallway shot. I really was expecting a shot or two. Walt shooting Jesse and missing, Jesse shooting at Walt and missing...who knows.

We seem to have the same mindset for a lot of how this show goes.

Quote:
The nicest this episode were Walt, Walt Jr., and the cleaning guy who didn't take any more of Walt's money.
This made me laugh.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #54
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I'm sorry but I'm 100% rooting for Jesse. He started out a punk kid making meth and yes, that's a horrible thing but he evolved from that to murder because of Walt's manipulation of him. He has shown over the course of the show that he didn't want pretty much any of this yet he keeps allowing himself to be dragged back in. Jesse's main fault is he's weak minded. And part of that his his drug addiction. Walt has been like a father to him and we saw last week that it's something Jesse feels because he even said the words "just tell me you don’t give a **** about me" because he desperately wanted to hear the opposite. Ugh. Some people do bad things and I don't think that makes them bad people. Jesse is a prime example of that. Walt, on the other hand, is a bad person.

Just my $.02
Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #55
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
I'm sorry but I'm 100% rooting for Jesse. He started out a punk kid making meth and yes, that's a horrible thing but he evolved from that to murder because of Walt's manipulation of him. He has shown over the course of the show that he didn't want pretty much any of this yet he keeps allowing himself to be dragged back in. Jesse's main fault is he's weak minded. And part of that his his drug addiction. Walt has been like a father to him and we saw last week that it's something Jesse feels because he even said the words "just tell me you don’t give a **** about me" because he desperately wanted to hear the opposite. Ugh. Some people do bad things and I don't think that makes them bad people. Jesse is a prime example of that. Walt, on the other hand, is a bad person.

Just my $.02
I like that $.02.

And something I realized this week as Walt Jr, also was telling Dad to stop with the lies, is that Walt has betrayed both of his sons. Both Walt Jr and Jesse who I really felt he saw like a son to him (at times).

Old 09-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #56
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
I like that $.02.

And something I realized this week as Walt Jr, also was telling Dad to stop with the lies, is that Walt has betrayed both of his sons. Both Walt Jr and Jesse who I really felt he saw like a son to him (at times).
Definitely. Again, I honestly think Walt cares about Jesse. He loves his son and wife too. But he will manipulate anyone and everyone if it serves him well to do so.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #57
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post

Just my $.02
I'll buy that for $1.00

jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #58
Jstkiddn

In a way I think that Walt cares about his family so much that he's willing to do just about anything to "protect" them. Now, his idea of protection and my idea of protection are two vastly different things, but in his mind he justifies everything he's done in order to keep the family together.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #59
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Jesse walking away from the plaza situation - cue the vehicle sliding around the corner and screeching to a halt next to him. And that vehicle was a minivan? Since when are they capable of that??? lol
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #60
jkeegan

Lots of people say Walt "is" a bad person. I just want to point out something obvious here:

1) He is NOW. We've been watching his decent, from regular old innocent chemistry teacher to this.
2) Adding to all of the Star Wars references, there is still some good in him.
3) I think the point of the show is that this descent could happen to ANYBODY.

Some of the very qualities that made early Walt seem so "good" (caring about his family) are the very things that motivate his path towards current Walt.

And lastly, the reason we still see the good and can still (at some level) want to see him succeed/survive/be-happy is because we've watched the entire descent and we know the original Walt. We saw all of the decisions along the way. And with respect to his family, all of his intentions have been good. (Even letting Jesse'a girlfriend choke to death on her own vomit - she was blackmailing Walt and by extension his family).

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all