TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #151
Gerryex

Except for some of the William Hartnell episodes I've probably just about every episode of Dr Who out there. But I never saw this movie so I was anxious to see it. While not horribly bad it was not very good either. The lady Dr who initially thought our hero was crazy sure got convinced quickly. So convinced that she took the Cop's gun and fired it at his motorcycle. I thought that was an amazing leap of faith!

And . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And Eric Roberts makes a much, MUCH better Master than John Simm!

I agree, but that's really not saying too much. I thought the John Simm Master was absolutely terrible especially compared to classic performances by Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley.

Anyway, glad I was able to see the movie but just as glad it wasn't too long!!

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:50 PM   #152
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Wow. You are very charitable. I thought it was incredibly bad.
Paul was great and the second half of the movie had its moments, but the Snake!Master was horrendous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #153
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirisahn View Post

I have to agree with Loadstar. I thought it was choppy and weird. It felt like it was made by someone who didn't really understand the show.
That's interesting. Not sure how you mean. Would like to hear more. I thought the opposite and felt more like it presaged the eventual return.

I am not charitable at all. I've only seen it once before when it was first televised and I didn't like it but watching it now it seems like a decent (calling something decent is charitable?) piece between the old and new series.

As for not understanding the show. It paid homage to the old show with a lot of small detail. It was bigger and more polished than the old show but so is the current version. Paul McGann would've been a solid Doctor and they got Sylvester McCoys Doctor about right in his small part.

Sure. They had small issues (which bothered me more back then) in saying the Doctor was half human but it meant nothing to the story and can be ignored and in calling the chameleon circuit a cloaking device (big deal).

But. The Master was almost perfect to what the Master always was. He was very true to the Master from Keepers of Trakken and beyond. The Doctor was the Doctor.

The writing could've been better but it was acceptable. Not great. Not bad either.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #154
Azlen

I'm curious as to why Paul McGann didn't appear in the interview segment.
Found it interesting that he is younger than Peter Capaldi by a couple of years.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #155
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Well, they certainly showed the movie which was actually quit a bit shorter than some of the multi-part episodes.
I recorded then deleted this (I'll likely watch the retrospective part via On Demand).. But I FFed through and the movie was being shown in stretchovision, at least on the SD version I recorded.. (I *thought* I checked On Demand for the HD version too, and it was also stretched, but I'm not sure.)

I remember liking the movie, at least in the same way as I like virtually every Star Trek show/TV series --- it's better than no [Doctor Who | Star Trek], even though there are dud episodes/movies of both.

I keep meaning to watch the Key to Time season some eon, but it's annoying that only 4 out of 6 are on Amazon Prime.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #156
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post

I recorded then deleted this (I'll likely watch the retrospective part via On Demand).. But I FFed through and the movie was being shown in stretchovision, at least on the SD version I recorded.. (I *thought* I checked On Demand for the HD version too, and it was also stretched, but I'm not sure.)

I remember liking the movie, at least in the same way as I like virtually every Star Trek show/TV series --- it's better than no [Doctor Who | Star Trek], even though there are dud episodes/movies of both.

I keep meaning to watch the Key to Time season some eon, but it's annoying that only 4 out of 6 are on Amazon Prime.
They started off showing the episodes OAR and somewhere they started stretching them. I've been watching Netflix versions but I don't think Netflix has the movie, so I unstretched it.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #157
LordXenophon
Technomage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Sure. They had small issues (which bothered me more back then) in saying the Doctor was half human but it meant nothing to the story and can be ignored and in calling the chameleon circuit a cloaking device (big deal).

What's rule #1?
LordXenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #158
cheesesteak
Meh.

The movie as a whole and Eric Roberts in particular weren't as bad as I remember, either. It wasn't great but it was better than the typical SyFy Original movie. The biggest shame is that it was so low budget.

I definitely preferred the movie's Tardis control room than any of the more recent tv series control rooms that look like they were assembled from various garage sales.

The Doctor said he was half human on his mother's side. Has he mentioned that since the series reboot?

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #159
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
The movie as a whole and Eric Roberts in particular weren't as bad as I remember, either. It wasn't great but it was better than the typical SyFy Original movie. The biggest shame is that it was so low budget.
I think you just set the stage for Doctor Who meets Sharknado.
mr.unnatural is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #160
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Wow. You are very charitable. I thought it was incredibly bad.
I've already posted elsewhere, but the fact that it was supposed to be set in San Francisco drove me batty.

There were moments where I like McGann's performance very much, but 90% of the time I was thinking of what I would do to fix it if I were given the chance.

Murray Gold and Ben Foster have really, really spoiled me.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 AM   #161
kdmorse

Quote:
The Doctor said he was half human on his mother's side. Has he mentioned that since the series reboot?
Nope. And it's a subject of insane fan debate. You pretty much have three choices:

A) Ignore it, it's something crazy Americans threw in to give him an american twist when they had control of production.

B) Consider it Canon. It has never been mentioned outside the 1996 movie. But it has never been *directly* contradicted either. (Although it's been indirectly contradicted).

C) Come up with a wacky reason why he was half human for that regeneration. (And there are some doozies out there)

I'm firmly in the 'ignore it' camp personally. Don't dwell on it too long, you'd sooner bring peace to the middle east, then make peace between camps A) and B)...
kdmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:26 AM   #162
danterner
Not it!

D) The Doctor lies.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #163
Jstkiddn

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
D) The Doctor lies.
And there's the solution.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #164
cheesesteak
Meh.

But it would help to explain why the Doctor has such an affinity for Earth and its unimportant Earthlings.

I don't think we've ever had flashbacks to the Doctor's childhood, have we?

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #165
rich
Final answer?

I saw on Tennant's Facebook page that the Ninth Doctor's revisited episodes will be "Bad Wolf" and "Parting of the Ways".
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #166
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
But it would help to explain why the Doctor has such an affinity for Earth and its unimportant Earthlings.

I don't think we've ever had flashbacks to the Doctor's childhood, have we?
Only in so much as we saw a minor glimpse of it with The Master as a child, but the focus was on The Master.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:34 AM   #167
Church AV Guy

I still stand by my opinion that someone SHOULD have simply said that movie was NOT canon and let it go. It was fun and all, and worth a watch, but it threw so many things out there, like the Doctor being half human, the Master being some translucent snake-like thing, the Eye of Harmony being on board the TARDIS, and could only open by having an Earthling stare into a reflecting rod socket ?!? to name a few. Worse ones are the ability to set time back, reversing actions that had happened INSIDE the TARDIS itself!

I just think it would have been best let go. I know it IS considered canon, but I wish it hadn't been, that's all.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:09 PM   #168
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
I still stand by my opinion that someone SHOULD have simply said that movie was NOT canon and let it go. It was fun and all, and worth a watch, but it threw so many things out there, like the Doctor being half human, the Master being some translucent snake-like thing, the Eye of Harmony being on board the TARDIS, and could only open by having an Earthling stare into a reflecting rod socket ?!? to name a few. Worse ones are the ability to set time back, reversing actions that had happened INSIDE the TARDIS itself!

I just think it would have been best let go. I know it IS considered canon, but I wish it hadn't been, that's all.
Thing is, the comic strips and books of the continuing stories of THAT Doctor started almost immediately after the movie, including him going back and working with the other 7 incarnations. At the time there were no plans to restart the series (after the movie "flopped"). So they kept things going in book, comic, and radio form, up until 2005.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #169
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdmorse View Post
Nope. And it's a subject of insane fan debate. You pretty much have three choices:

A) Ignore it, it's something crazy Americans threw in to give him an american twist when they had control of production.

B) Consider it Canon. It has never been mentioned outside the 1996 movie. But it has never been *directly* contradicted either. (Although it's been indirectly contradicted).

C) Come up with a wacky reason why he was half human for that regeneration. (And there are some doozies out there) I'm firmly in the 'ignore it' camp personally. Don't dwell on it too long, you'd sooner bring peace to the middle east, then make peace between camps A) and B)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
D) The Doctor lies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstkiddn View Post
And there's the solution.
Having now watched the movie, I'm going to have to go back and remove (D) from the running. There's no question that in the movie his half-humanity was presented as objective fact. It wasn't just that he said it - there was a whole scene with The Master looking at, and then through, the Doctor's eyes, observing them and remarking about them "ah - he's half-human." Of the three choices above, I'm going with A.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #170
cstelter

Someone recently posted an youtube clip of (iirc) Paul McGann reading for the part and...

Spoiler:
the script he was reading indicated that the Doctor's father came to Earth and fell in love with an earth woman who had 2 sons-- the Master and the Doctor... This may in fact be 'unpublished canon', or something the current writers wish never happened.

Did half human on his mother's side mean his mother was half human, or that the Doctor is half Human and that his mother was all human.

They made a point of how important Donna was in Journey's End and how all paths intersected with her some how. I've mused that perhaps Donna is the Doctor's mother... Part Time Lord through genetic metacrisis or whatever that technobabble in Journey's End was all about. She would be an ideal candidate to make the doctor half human on his mother's side. But I doubt that's where they were going.

I did think that the woman who kept appearing to Donna's Dad may have been the Doctor's mother (the weeping angel of old when the time lords came storming in at the end of 'end of time'). They never did explain her role as far as I recall.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #171
mattack

There's a big marathon soon (over the weekend I think?) of just the Doctors Revisited sections (not the story for each doctor).. I saw it in my to do list.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #172
cstelter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
There's a big marathon soon (over the weekend I think?) of just the Doctors Revisited sections (not the story for each doctor).. I saw it in my to do list.
I think it starts Monday morning. They seem to have taken the episode part of the shows and broken them from the documentary portion. There are 30 minut segments that I presume are the documentary portions and then a number of 3 hour segments. The 3 hour segments seem to skip (i.e. one for 1st doctor and one for 4th doctor, but I didn't see 2nd or 3rd iirc). Either they have lots of commercials, or possibly they're doubling up on the episodes and it's really 1+2 for the first 3 hour block and 3+4 fo the other one. I suspect it's lots of commercials though.
Old 11-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #173
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstelter View Post
I think it starts Monday morning. They seem to have taken the episode part of the shows and broken them from the documentary portion. There are 30 minut segments that I presume are the documentary portions
They've been airing these 30 minute documentary parts all along. They have been aired in the 30 minute time slot just before the next full episode.